Confirmed

Paper Airplane

I sat on on train 09. It wasn’t too crowded as yesterday. It’s fun just sitting on the train when there’s barely any people. I can hear the roar of the train moving fast. It’s relaxing but I’m not quite sure why. I watched as people got on and off the train, having places to go, moving on with their lives.

I got off the train and as the train left I could feel the wind brushing my skin of the train going away rapidly fleeing away. I sat down in the subway. I should go home. Or maybe sleep in my office. My life wasn’t a bore nor a thrill. I just sat there. Conscious. I rolled up my sleeve to check the time. 9 minutes had past. Just then a girl who looked around my age approached me.

“How are you?” She spoke. I looked over my shoulder in case she was talking to someone else. I slowly looked back at her.

“Alive.” I said in the most softest and dull voice but loud enough for her to hear. She smiled. Then she started crying. She was still smiling but the tears were spilling. Slowly she started letting quiet sobs out. I sat in front of her with my eyes widened. There was no one around in the subway. Just us.

“Aren’t I also?” She replied trying to stop crying.

“D-Did I say something wrong?” “No. I’m sorry for bothering you. I hope you have a good evening.”

She turned around and started walking. “Wait!” I jumped up from my seat shouted. She turned around and looked back at me.

“Don’t misunderstand that I’m a kidnapper or a when I say this but it wouldn’t be a good plan to go home alone. At this time.” I said without missing a word. I didn’t know her but I don’t think it would be normal for her to just come up to me and ask how am I.

She took a deep breath. “I don’t think you wouldn’t know or understand but I have no home.”

“Do you need something? Why did you approach me?” I responded.

“I didn’t approach you because I needed something. I approached you because I needed confirmation.”

I stood there puzzled. Completely lost in the abyss. “Confirmation of what?” I asked.

“Whether I could  trust you. I guess it’s been confirmed.” She replied.

“Why do you need to trust me?” I asked still bewildered.

“That’s classified information.” “Are you cop?” She laughed. “You’re funny.”

I’m not sure what to say or what to ask but wait until she says something.

“To be honest I haven’t ate anything in 2 days.” She sighed.

“I don’t cook well but—“ I was cut off as she said “I was never greedy enough to ask you for good food. I may be homeless but I don’t like being looked at as a beggar. Poor people have pride too.” She explained.

“You can trust me, but how do I know I can trust you? How do I know you’re not a dangerous person?” I asked.

She took out her backpack and dumped it onto the ground. What I saw was a pocket knife, a lighter, bullets but no gun, a $10 dollar bill, socks, sneakers, batteries, Hand-sanitizer, a metal detector, a book, 2 pens, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, nail clipper, and a bottle of sparkly black nail polish.

She picked up the metal detector and scanned herself with it. She even scanned behind her ears, and scanned her shoes.

“Because I just revealed everything I have left. Everything that I could keep or what I could find. Everything I need to survive. All I need is someone to trust.” She said in mature voice. Clearly with no mistake. Brilliant tone. With confidence.

She bent down to pick up her things as I just stood there blank.

“Y-Yah..” I said barely making the word escape my lips. She looked up and paused what she was doing.

“W-Where did you get that metal detector?” She laughed and said in the most sarcastic voice, “I stole it from a security guard why?”

She stood up and put her bag on her back and held out her hand.

“Do you trust me?” I looked at her hand. “Come on they’re clean.” She laughed. I shook her hand. She smiled.

We took a bus and got off and started walking to my apartment.  “Should I call you oppa?” She said making her tone higher. “Don’t or I’ll take your metal detector.” She smiled. “I understand, I understand.”

“Where will you sleep tonight?” I asked. “Mmm.. Maybe on a bench. A field.. I don’t know. I sleep for maybe 2 hours. It’s not safe for me to sleep long since I’m homeless.” She replied.

I stopped walking. “Would you like to sleep at my apartment tonight?” I asked. She looked at me surprised. “Do you really trust m-me enough to ask me that?” This is the first time she’s stuttered while talking to me. I nodded.

We entered my apartment. In my opinion it was organized and clean. She looked around. “Woah,” I think she thinks it’s organized and clean too. She looked back at me. “Thank you so much. For letting me come here. I don’t even know your name..”

“Kyungsoo. My name’s Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo.” I said as I picked up the necklace on my table in my hand.

“I’m Sulli. Choi Sulli.”


I hope you like it so far. 

 

--Kyu