Difficult

Not What You Think

The following Friday was the day for their fifth date. Like usual, Minho went to the restaurant to pick her up after work. She was there waiting for him, sitting on the curb with her arms rested on her knees. She was still wearing her work uniform, as she did ever since their second date.

Everything seemed normal, but there was something different this time. As Minho drew closer, he could tell something was obviously bothering her.

He stood before her with the single flower in his hand, but she just stared up at him, with a slight pout tugging at her lip. "What's wrong?" he asked, letting his smile drop.

"We need to talk."

That couldn't be good.

He took a seat beside her on the curb, wondering what it was about. He hoped he hadn't scared her away the last time they were together. Sure, he was a little fervent, but she enjoyed the kiss just as much as he did, and she was smiling when he left her at the door to her building. What could have so suddenly changed her mind?

"My mom doesn't want me dating you anymore."

"Oh," he said. That explained it. "Why not?"

She looked out at the empty street before them, avoiding his stare. "She doesn't want me distracted. Between work and school, I have so much to do. She still has plans for my future...and she doesn't want those plans ruined. So I can't see you anymore."

He took a moment to process what she told him and to think of the right words to say.

"The last thing I want to do is get in the way of your future," he said. He took the flower he had brought and put it in her hair, sticking it in the band that held her pony tail over her right shoulder. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, but still wouldn't look at him. "If I'm moving too fast, then tell me. I'll back off. But please, don't say you'll never see me again."

"Minho..."

"You're only seventeen. I know your priorities and your obligations. I have no intention of getting in the way of them."

"What about you?" she snapped, "What about your priorities and your future? You're putting them off because of me!"

"I'm not ready to go home, whether you're in the picture or not."

She growled in frustration and put her head down on her knees. "Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?" he asked, confused.

"Making everything difficult."

"I want to spend time with you. How is that difficult?"

She didn't answer him. She simply lifted her head and looked at him for the first time that evening. For a while, she just stared at him, as if she couldn't make up her mind, as if she couldn't decide how she really wanted that meeting to end. Minho knew for a fact that he didn't want it to end on that curb.

He slowly drew in closer to her, expecting her to pull away. But she didn't. She let him kiss her for the third time, even returned the kiss in the end. When he pulled back, he saw sadness in her eyes, but she didn't say anything.

"I'll take you home or I'll take you to dinner. The choice is yours."

Her eyes searched him for a moment. "Dinner."


A/N: Thanks for the comments and subscribing. I hope you're all liking it so far. ^_^