Chapter 6

Scent of Love

 

 “Open this door now!”

 

“…”

 

“Don’t try my patient now Kevin-ah!”

The door swung open and Kevin found standing in the cubicle with unreadable face expression.

“What have you done Kevin?”

“What do you mean by that Shin?” Kevin asked back.

But actually Kevin understood well by what Shin meant by that. Kevin have been avoiding Shin’s question for quite some time now that forced Shin to follow Kevin into the bathroom only to found Kevin locking himself up in the bathroom cubicle.

“Don’t act like you don’t know anything Kevin-ah. I’ve been observing you and Jihye these past couple of days. I know when people are sad or happy Kevin. What did you do to her to make her that sad?” Shin blocked the way out of the cubicle so that Kevin can answer his questions.

“Look, I’ve done nothing to her or anyone in this damn place. I do what I do best… avoid meddling into other people business. If that’s what making her sad, I’m sorry but that’s her problem, not mine.” Kevin said trying to squeeze through Shin.

“I know her to well Kevin-ah. She wouldn’t be like that if it’s just things like this. She’s one of the toughest girls I ever known. Hell, you’ve continuously saying bad stuff to her for a year… There must be something that you’ve done to hurt her. You better spill it out now!” Shin advanced toward Kevin grabbing his collar.

“I never saw her like that for years not until you came in in our lives Kevin-ah.” Shin continued.

 

 

“Well, why don’t you ask her then? I don’t ing care why she’s sad and you should know this better Shin! I thought you said you’re not gonna care what I’m up to since you just doing your job as a head in this ing house. So, for the sake of your leadership, please don’t-“

Bak! ~

A punch landed on Kevin’s face. Kevin stumbles and falls onto the floor.

Shin couldn’t take it anymore. He could take the harsh talk and rude manners of Kevin, but when it comes to Jihye, Shin really can’t tolerate it. He watched Jihye couple of night before, going to bathroom with her swelling eyes due to too much of crying. And he noticed how Jihye look at Kevin whenever they meet each other and how she looks sadder when Kevin ignored her. He knows something’s wrong between these two people.

 

 

---Kevin POV---

 

Kevin stayed on the floor surprised by what Shin just did. He knew that Shin wasn’t such a person. He would never hurt anybody. He could be strict as a head, but he will never tolerate violence at all cost. But now he did it, Kevin stood up to return the favor.

Bak! ~

Another punch landed on Kevin’s stomach before he could do anything. He falls back onto the floor holding his tummy.

“Ouch!” Kevin groans.

“That’s what you get for whatever you did to Jihye. I don’t know what happened between you two but you better stop it… in fact, stay away from her!” Shin threatens him.

+”That’s what I’ve been doing for days...”+ Kevin closes his eyes and gritted his teeth.

 

Kevin stayed silence on the floor still holding his stomach. He dare not to speak anymore because he know that whatever reason he give won’t settle the situation he’s in right now.

Having no reply from Kevin, Shin left him lying on the floor in the bathroom. Shin thought he did what’s right. That would give a lesson to the boy not to mess up with Jihye anymore.

 

 

Kevin slowly gets up and leans against the wall. His face is a mess now with some blood on his ripped lips. He let out a heavy sigh. Now other peoples’ misery is also his fault? He slumps his head back on the wall.

“Hahahaha… …”

Life and cruelty goes together isn’t it?

 He let out another laugh but his eye is forming tears. He doesn’t care about the painful body or getting punched at, Jamie did worse than that… He cried because he’s hurt inside. He doesn’t know what to do anymore with himself or anyone.

He supports himself up and holds the wall to walk out of the bathroom. He wanted to get out of the house and run away from all these lies he is living in. He makes sure that the corridor is clear from people as he don’t want anyone to see him like that. He hates it when others see a weak side of him. A pity from people is a torture for him. He rather starves on the streets than having someone loving him only to leave him after.

His eyes are blurry as the tears keep flowing down his cheek. He does not have control anymore toward his eyes. He walks faster but still having the wall supporting his way to the front door. It feels like as if the front door is so far away…

 

Then someone appeared in front of the door. He recognized her well, because she’s the one making his heart confused for the last couple of days. He looks at her and she looks back at him. Their eyes locked into each other trying to read each other’s mind…

She spoke first cutting end the silent moment.

“Kevin-sshi. Are you alright?” she asked.

That’s the first time in days he heard her spoke to him… moreover the gaze she’s giving right now is troubling his already confused mind.

 

 

---Jihye POV---

 

+”I’m sure I’ve bought everything madam Nara wrote on this list, plus I’ve heated the water before going out before.”+

Jihye just got back from the market buying things that madam Nara instructed to buy for the house. She make sure she did the right job this time because she messes almost all her duties before and now she gonna prove that she’s capable in doing such job again.

She opens the door and unties her shoe before entering the house. She put the shoe into the old rack beside the entrance. She quickly walks in to bring the goods into madam Nara’s office. Just when she about to walk, she found someone leaning against the wall near the end of the corridor. Her heart leaps when she recognizes that it was Kevin. She looks into his eyes… she could tell how sad he is just from his gaze. But her face turns worried when she sees his bruised face.

“Kevin-sshi, are you alright?” she said worriedly.

She moves closer to Kevin taking out her handkerchief involuntarily. She wiped his face and his lips with it. As she was cleaning his lips, she unconsciously touched his lips with her finger not noticing Kevin’s expression.

She forgot about all the pain and dilemma when she touched him, he feels so soft and fragile... she almost about to caress his face before realizing what she just did. She quickly let go of him and move back a little bit.

 

+”What have you done to me Kevin? Why am I like this in front of you?”+

 

“Let me look at your bruises Kevin-sshi, I… I’ll get the first-aid kit, so let’s us sit down first in there.” Jihye points toward madam Nara’s office.

But Kevin just looks away and starts walking toward the door with his dark gloomy stare. He’s about to avoid Jihye again like he always did.

 

+”What am I to you Kevin…”+

 

Jihye quickly pulled the bottom end of his shirt making him stop in his track but he is still not turning onto Jihye.

 

“Kev... Kevin-sshi…”

 

Kevin kept his mouth shut looking downward but not facing her.

 

“Why are you avoiding me these couple of days?” Jihye braved herself to finally ask him the question he long to ask.

“If it’s about what I said to you about your mom, I’m sorry. I really am.” Still, Kevin stiffened on his place. Jihye doesn’t know if Kevin heard what she said but she doesn’t care, this must end today. She can’t bear this troubled feeling inside her anymore.

“You’ve been avoiding me Kevin-sshi like I’ve done something really bad… But why am I the one feeling troubled when you didn’t talk or look at me Kevin-sshi?”

“I’m confused now Kevin-sshi. I tried to forget about you, but since that day on the roof, I couldn’t get you out of my mind!”

“I’ve tried to do many things to distract my attention from you, but whatever I did, I couldn’t forget you.”

“Why is it my chest hurt so much when you turned around from me huh? Why is this happening to me Kevin-sshi?” Jihye’s grip on Kevin’s shirt become tighter…

“I… I’m confused… I really don’t know what to do anymore Kevin…” she started crying.

Kevin just stayed still all those times…

 

 

“Please… could you at least look at me Kevin-sshi? I just-“

Kevin pulled his shirt from Jihye’s grasp. He didn’t even look back to her even though she’s definitely crying now.

He walks to the front door and disappear into the street without a word.

 

 

She was stupefied by what just happened. He just left like that even though she tried everything she could to solve her confused heart. She cried harder…

She buried her face into her palm, regretting herself for telling those things to Kevin. He must’ve hated her even more now.

 

+“Babo Jihye! Why did you tell him all that? What do you want from him in the first place?”+ she asked herself.

She continued crying there before she turns around and walks away…

 

 

---Kevin POV---

 

“Aaah!!!” Kevin screamed his lungs out.

He cannot accept what just happened. He ran away from the house as far as he could until he’s out of breath.

Back there… he really wanted to grab and caressed Jihye back. Only God knows how his body trembles when she touches him with such gentleness. He couldn’t watch her crying for his heart aches badly too. He felt what she felt. He understood the feeling that Jihye just described. He too… is confused.

But he’s determined to throw away any feeling he’d toward her but it seems that he failed miserably.

He sat himself against a tree having his hand scratching his head.

 

+”WHAT THE IS THIS!!!? KK”+

 

He’s been sitting there for 15 minutes not caring passerbies who look curiously at him.  He couldn’t care more as he’s having his own problem at the moment.

 

But something distracted his attention.

 

He heard an alarm sounds. He looks up and sees a firefighter truck passing right in front of him. He still in a deep thought to care whatever happens around him.

He’s about to drop his face when he sees where the firefighters are heading to.

His eyes become wide open and he bolted up from the ground when he saw a familiar building in distance is blowing smokes…

It’s the orphanage house that’s on fire.

 

His adrenaline pumped up. He still remember the night when his mom died in a fire… the sound of firefighter, the smell of burnt building… everything seems coming back to his nerves.

He quickly make his way running toward the house. All he can think of is one thing… a girl.

 

“JIHYE!!!”