Epilogue

My Husband is an Idol

 

You rolled over your bed in frustration. It seemed that the sand man had forgotten to pay you a visit. The day’s events replayed vividly in your mind just like a movie. A smile tugged on your lips at your stealthy escape from his clutches. Yet, a part of you wish you hadn’t. In the two years that you had separated you still weren’t able to get past the sinking feeling that you felt when you walked into your empty apartment.

You shifted over to your vibrating phone. Before opening it you glanced over at the clock that blared out in red characters, 12:59 AM. Your eyes furrowed in confusion as to who in their right mind would text at such an hour.

                Unknown number: What are you doing? Are you thinking of me? Because I’m thinking of you.

                                Sent at 1:20AM

You wondered whether it was a good idea to answer. Despite your better judgment you punched into your phone’s keys. Within seconds you received a response.

                Unknown number: Who am I? I should be offended. Can’t you tell?

                                Sent at 1:23 AM

Annoyance ran through your veins. You were tired, cranky, and you definitely weren’t in the mood for mind games with some random person. You placed the phone on the nightstand and finally willed yourself into a light sleep.

Your sleep didn’t last though. You were awoken at the sound of heavy pounding on your door. You jumped from the bed and tripped over air as your heart accelerated with worry. Quickly scrambling to your feet, you hastily made your way to your apartment door. Your mouth was slightly agape at the man drenched in water who was standing in front of you. It wasn’t until you saw him shivering violently did you realize that it was pouring outside.

Did he run from his apartment? “What are you doing here—wait…how did you know where I live?” He sheepishly grinned before letting himself in.

“I’ve known where you live for a while, actually. I just never bothered to show up on a random night. I mean…I didn’t want that to break out into an unneeded scandal. Could you imagine? ‘Crazed ex-husband stalks the love of his life.’”  Your eye brows rose in shock. He was still the same old weird-o you had avoided dating for a year.

“Uhm…that’s nice. Why are you here?” You looked over at the clock hanging on the wall, 2AM. You had to question his sanity at the moment, then again you don’t think he was every really sane to begin with.

“Well you didn’t respond to the stream of messages I left you. I tried calling a few times but you didn’t answer.”

“What?”

He sighed dejectedly at your confusion and proceeded to look for your room. You shuffled behind him—your hands made attempts to stop his madness.

“What exactly are you doing right now?” In an instant he turned to you causing your bodies to collide with one another. Before any damage was done he had managed to catch you. You stayed still for a moment. Your heart beat pounded against your ears. A blush crept on your face at the thought of him being able to hear it.

You shivered at the coldness that radiated off his body from the rain. For a moment you thought about offering a towel—for a moment. 

He smiled down at you as a hand caressed your warm cheek lovingly. You swatted it away as a huff of aggravation escaped your lips. You sternly spoke his name, “what are you playing at?” For a second he looked taken aback at your suddenly cold outburst. He had really thought you two were past the defensive mechanisms after your previous encounter.

“I needed to see you. Mostly because I know you—I know you well enough to know that you won’t follow through with our date.”

“I don’t think I ever agreed to one.” He glared at you, “Well just agree now.”

You curtly disagreed. His eyes bore into yours. “Why? Are you going to be too busy with someone else?” He accused.

You matched his glare, “Maybe, maybe not. What’s it to you?”  You made your way to the bathroom in hopes of getting him a towel, but your movements ceased as he lightly grabbed your wrists and pulled you towards him. “Why are you acting so indifferent? Why are you acting like you don’t care how much pain being away from each other is being inflicted on us?” You closed your eyes to avoid his pleading eyes. Those pleading eyes that had always expected you to forgive him when he was mistaken.

But you didn’t want to be the woman who would so easily forgive him with no questions asked. That was someone you used to be.

“I’m not acting anymore. I’m not you.” Pain was evident in his eyes as he slightly winced at your response. “I don’t believe you. This isn’t you. This isn’t the woman I fell desperately in love with.” You shrugged your shoulders against his chest. “This is me. This is me not giving a damn anymore.”

“No, this is you being scared to let your heart be mine again. I won’t let you. I refuse to let you act so nonchalant about the way we feel towards one another.” You looked at him with half-lidded eyes. Given the hectic day you had been through, at the moment you just wanted to crawl under your sheets and melt into them.

Your eyes snapped open at the feel of him lifting you up in his arms. He shook his head and headed towards your bedroom. “Get some sleep, love. When you wake up I’ll be right here beside you ready to work things out with you.” You mumbled incoherent disagreements. Various noises erupted from the bathroom before you felt the bed sink next to you.

He pressed you firmly into his bare chest. You made a weak attempt to squirm free from his grasp only to have him wrap his arm around you tighter. A shiver spread through your body as a pair of chapped lips kissed your temple. He breathed your name against your ear. “I really do love you. I never stopped. I had just forgotten how to show you. Believe me when I say I will never forget again.”

A tear escaped from the corner of your eye at his words. He reached over with his hand and wiped it away. “I know you’re scared. I know that a part of you doesn’t believe me. And I know that you think we’ll end up going through the same routine, but I’m willing to wait forever until that part of your heart trusts me again. I’ll wait a thousand winters if it means having your heart again. This time around I won’t let you belittle your dreams. This time around I’m going to make sure you get sick of hearing me tell you how much you really mean to me.”

You felt his chest shake as low chuckle escaped his lips. “You know better than I do that I can be very persistent.” Without much through you turned your body to face his, your face nuzzled into his chest causing him to grumble slightly. “Don’t start what you can’t finish!” A soft laugh escaped your lips before you surrendered to sleep.

The bright sun’s rays intruded your bedroom. You groggily looked around, though your movements ceased at the sound of a familiar light snoring next to you. You glanced down to find him sleeping on his stomach with his head facing you.

Unconsciously you brushed away a few strands of hair that hid his lidded eyes. Your heart fluttered at the feel of waking up next to him like before, yet you felt somewhat divided. A part deep down inside of you had a feeling that your love would eventually die. That was something that your entire being couldn’t bear to go through again.

A hand shot up and took hold of yours. He smiled up at you and kissed your fingers gently. “I promise our love won’t die.” Confusion spread around your face at his accurate guess. “We were together for so long. I know how you think.” A blush washed over your face. Were you that easy to read? His hand reached up to your cheek. “There’s my girl.”

With a roll of your eyes you stood up and gazed out the window into the gloomy city. He followed your movements and stood a few inches behind you. “It doesn’t really matter what I say or do. In the end it’s up to you whether I stay or forever go.” You instinctively placed a hand over your heart. The prospect of him leaving forever was too frightening to imagine.

He placed his hand on top of yours, “but if you want my advice…just stop hiding from yourself. I’m begging you, stop pretending to be the woman who isn’t in love with me. We’re meant to be together as one. I know we are.” He turned you around and proceeded to kneel before you. Your mouth stood ajar.

He pulled out your old engagement ring and placed it on your finger, “let me show you how.” Your teeth bit down on your bottom lip in an effort to suppress a gasp. The simple ring gleamed on your finger. His eyes never left yours. He studied you intently as you attempted to voice your response. He could feel his stomach flip repeatedly. You nodded instead of voicing your agreement. He beamed a smile and hugged your waist as he buried his face into your stomach. Your hands traveled through his hair softly with a smile on your lips.

“I never stopped loving you,” he mumbled lovingly.

“I know.”

Fin