Chapter Three

In the Tune of Change

The following morning, I woke up with a slight headache and severe embarrassment. I flashed...Hyunwoo.... I groaned and rubbed my face, shaking my head as more and more memories flooded back to me. Why would I....did I...HIT on him? Another round of groans and writhing in bed immediately followed that realization.

    I laid in bed for a good twenty minutes before I mustered up the courage to get out of bed to call Hyunwoo and apologize for my... awkward behavior.. I hastily showered, went through my skincare routine, dressed in a pair of black cable leggings and a maroon oversized sweater, and threw my hair into a messy half ponytail before I made my way into the living room/kitchen area. As I scanned the area for signs of disarray, I noticed a mug filled with what I assumed was the tea Hyunwoo left out for me. I also noticed a little note written on the whiteboard on my fridge.

    “Emma, you shouldn’t drink so much anymore, okay? You might give people the wrong impression. I know you don’t do it often but I worry about you. >.< Call me when you see this! - Hyunwoo.”

    I placed the tea in the microwave for a minute and pulled out my phone to call him. I gnawed at my lower lip as I listened to the phone ring. He should have answered by now....its barely half past two in the afternoon...

    “Emma,” He began, in his usual cheerful tone, “Are you okay?”

    “Yeah yeah yeah, I’m sorry for last night! You know I really don’t get super drunk, but I guess I was just sad about leaving the school last night. I’m sorry! I didn’t...mean to flash you...or come on to you. I just... I don’t really know...,” My voice faded until it trailed off, I wasn’t sure what to say from there...

    “I’m just glad it was me who was with you last night. I don’t know if you would have been alright with anyone else. I’m always here for you, you know that right, Emma?”

    I smiled at that. Hyunwoo is such a cutie pie.

    “I’m glad it was you too, Hyunnie. What are you doing right now? Want to meet up for a late lunch? I owe you for last night.”

    He agreed eagerly and we decided to meet at a local Chinese food restaurant for our shared favorite dish: shrimp lo mein.

          "Do you want me to come pick you up?"

           "Nah," I said as I grabbed the purse from last night and dumped the contents into my black leather satchel and pulled on some matching ankle boots. The restaurant was close enough to my apartment complex that I decided to walk there instead of catching the bus like I usually did. "I think I want to walk. Burn off those calories from all that alcohol last night, y'know?"

           We both laughed.

            "Emma, I want you to stay on the phone with me while you walk, okay?  I don't want anything to happen to you."

            I rolled my eyes and walked out of my apartment and onto the nearby sidewalk.

           "Fine fine - gives me a chance to ask you what you did last night after you dropped me off! Anything interesting?"

            Hyunwoo took a few seconds before he replied, "Uhhh, I just caught the end of a drama and worked out a bit and took a shower and uh wondered if you were ok and I almost came back to check on you but it was really late and I thought it would be weird so I went to bed but I couldn't sleep so I watched some more tv and I fell asleep watching it."

           I chuckled and thanked him for his concern about my well-being. We continued talking about classes and our plans for the break until I heard a huge crash about two blocks away from my destination.

           "What was that?" I asked aloud as I cautiously inched closer to the alley the sound came from.

            "What was what?"

             "I heard a sound... like a crash or something," I answered hurriedly, "I think someone might be hurt..."

             "Don't go -" I heard Hyunwoo's anxious voice begin to caution me against investigating but I couldn't help but wonder if someone was being hurt nearby.

            I heard the tell tale sounds of kicking and punching and I ran towards them without thinking and dropping my phone in the process.

          "YOU PUNK WHERE'S THE MONEY? BOSS TOLD ME YOU'D HAVE IT TODAY!"

           I nervously peeked into the alley to see a group of four muscular gangsters attacking a kid! He looked no older than eighteen on a good day and the side of his face I could see was badly bruised. Blood was seeping out of the corner of his mouth and his eye was swollen shut. The poor kid was barely standing - I could tell his ribs were probably damaged too by the way he was clutching his side. I reached into my pocket, intending to grab my phone and call the police, only to realize I dropped my phone while I was running.

         I couldn't just stand there and let the kid die! They kept kicking and punching him while a thinner man stood behind the thugs, barking out demands for money. I didn't know what I could possibly do to help but I decided to take a stand. Just as I was about to step into the alley, I felt a hand close over my mouth and was pulled back abruptly into a hard male chest.

        "Do not speak. I won't hurt you. Trust me," the man whispered into my ear, "I will help. Do not speak."

        He released my mouth and spun me around to face him.

        I looked up, blinking rapidly as I gazed into the warm brown eyes belonging to one of the most attractive men I had ever seen in my life.

 

**A/N: Thanks for reading my story! Let me know what you thought! I'm so excited lol I can't wait to continue this story. Please subscribe for more~ Your support means a lot to me!**