Chapter Two

In the Tune of Change
ITALICS = In Korean
 
The three weeks leading up to the winter break and my transfer to Sunhwa Secondary went by quickly. The staff threw me a little goodbye/end of term party at a fancy restaurant known for their unique takes on traditional Korean dishes. Dohyun gave me a thoughtful hand-made photo album filled with polaroids from the past two years, riddled with funny anecdotes in both Korean and English throughout. Soojin presented me with a wide wooden ruler, with a note attached instructing me to ‘Use it when your students make you want to kill one of  your flower boys.’ Hyerin didn’t give me anything except a hard shove and a tear-filled, “You better not forget to message me every day, okay?!”. I wholeheartedly promised her a Kakao update at least once a day and she replied that she intended on hunting me down if I missed even a single scheduled message. Even Principal Cha footed the bill, simply saying that he’d miss my smiling face and wanted to repay me for two years of optimism and diversity. Cutie pie Hyunwoo gave me a big hug and a simple card with 40,000 won and inscribed with, ‘Call me whenever you want some snacks and a hug from your dongsaeng,’. I tried to give him back the money, but he insisted that he pay for whatever we eat in advance.The night was filled with laughter, tears, and good food, and when it was time to go, we were all a little intoxicated. 
 
As I grabbed my jacket, I heard the Physical Education teacher, Moon Seungho, loudly hissing at Hyunwoo.
 
"Hey, Hyunwoo... You gonna make a move tonight? You gotta...get some before its...too late, you giant bastard. I'm rooting for you!" Seungho yelled drunkenly as he stumbled into the waiting taxi. He held up his can of beer in a salute and slammed the door shut.
 
Hyunwoo insisted on driving me home, claiming that he drank the least (which was true) and that it was his job to see me home safely. 
 
“Emma....,” he sighed my name as we drove towards my place.
 
“Has...anyone told you...that you look like....that Sanghoon guy...from 100%?” I slurred as I poked him in the face, “Except....your face is....slightly less squishy...y’know?”
 
He laughed and continued to focus on the road.
 
“You’re soooooo cute. Did you know that? You’re like...the...gwiyomi..thing...yeah you’re cuter than that!” 
 
His face turned an adorable shade of pink as he quickly responded, “Emma, you’re...drunk, just be quiet okay? We’re almost at your apartment.”
 
“So what?! You’re cute when I’m not drunk and you’re...SUPER cute when I AM drunk!” 
 
“Well...,” He paused for a moment as we stopped at a red  light, “You’re really pretty all the time, Emma.”
 
I looked over at him, dramatically flopping my head to the side and peering into his warm brown eyes. “Do you have a crush on me?” Hyunwoo’s expression was serious as he stared into my eyes for an immeasurable period of time. 
 
Before he could respond, the light turned green and he directed his attention back to the road. 
     
Neither of us spoke for the rest of the ride. I was either too intoxicated to care or too sleepy to notice the now expansive silence that was tangible, yet comfortable. 
   
 When we reached my building, Hyunwoo opened the passenger side door and gently unbuckled my seatbelt. I attempted to swat his hands away, petulantly asserting that I could do it myself, but he just chuckled and effortlessly lifted me out of the seat. I found myself sprawled out on his back, in the typical piggyback position.
    
  “Hyunnie, you’re...strong?” I questioned stupidly
   
 “I know my face is misleading, but I actually work out every day. I do upper body workouts three times a week and core every day with a two mile run in the....” He paused and muttered quietly, “Why am I even explaining this, she’s not listening, she’s probably half asleep.”
    
  I poked him in the sides of his face, digging into his cheeks roughly. “Hey...I CAN HEAR YOU!”
    
  “Emma stop it!” Hyunwoo began to walk faster up the stairs to my room. I figured he was just trying to avoid more physical assault to his squishy cheeks. 
    
  “I’m gonna need you to open the door now, okay? Do you have your keys?” He asked as he lowered me to the ground, his hands firmly placed on my waist, making sure I didn’t fall on the way down.
    
I pushed him out of the way, rummaging through my small purse, managing to grab my keys and unlock my door in one try.
    Hyunwoo followed me into my apartment, walking straight to my room and pulling out some pjs for me to throw on.
   
 “Put these on and go to sleep. I’m making you some tea.”
  
 I nodded in the affirmative and snatched the clothes off the bed, rushing off to the adjacent bathroom. As I messily peeled off my clothes, I realized that I needed a change of underwear. 
    
  “Hyunwoo! I need your help!”
    
I heard his footsteps nearing my bathroom door.
   
 “What do you need?” 
   
 I flung the door open and pointed at my scantily clad body. 
    
  “I need clean undies!” I laughed and fanned my hand in the direction of my dresser.
  
 His eyes widened and he quickly rushed out of my bedroom.
 
     “Uh, Emma, your tea...it’s on the counter okay it’s still really hot, I’ll call you tomorrow!”
   
 I heard the door slam shut as I shuffled over to my dresser to acquire my own fresh bra and . 
   
 “Stupid Hyunwoo...he’s supposed to...do what I ask him to...,” I muttered to myself as I clothed myself and slid under my covers. Sleep took over my body, my last thoughts being of how cute Hyunwoo’s scandalized face was.
 
**A/N: Thank you for reading so far! What do you guys think of Emma? Hyunwoo? I know there wasn't too much dialogue in this chapter but that'll change in chapter three! (which is already finished btw) Please subscribe for more~ Your support means a lot to me!**