drabble #2 (winter solstice preview)

EXO drabble dump

pairing: kaisoo

fic that's been slowly getting... things added every few weeks or so (featuring toddlers kaisoo!!).... thought it'd be cool to share a small piece of it because why the heck not. actual length is ~2,550w and idk how long it'll be really

 

--

 

It isn't the first time that Kyungsoo's mother yells at him for no reason. He wanted to come and pick up his father from the train station. There wasn't much to do at home, anyway – cockroaches of all sized appeared less, and there were no flies for him to chase anymore.

His mother forces him out of the car, leaving him to stand in crunchy white grounds in freezing air. He doesn't know what he did, as usual, but that's alright, he thinks. He's used to it, and learned to expect the unexpected by now, at seven years of age. The car wasn't that warm to begin with. Outside is just as cold.

Kyungsoo doesn't remember how much time has passed by the time tiny specks of snow start falling down and cling onto black cotton sleeves. He knows his mother is watching him through the corner of her eyes, and he doesn't dare to lock into eye-contact any time soon because god it would be like an indirect gunshot right between the eyes. Guilt is nipping at her conscience, but she always had too much pride and shame to admit her mistakes.

 

Kyungsoo never understood pride.

 

His nose and cheeks have reddened significantly by now. He watches snow fall and glide off of his padded jacket that matches crimson color on alabaster skin, endless clamor of people talking and feet walking on fragile snow blocked as he stands in awe of white's timeless beauty. They slip through the gaps of glove-protected fingers, falling and disappearing in a clumpy sea of frozen precipitation.

Passersby shoot him odd looks and Kyungsoo feels slightly embarrassed, absentmindedly tugging at his pompom hat that allowed only few strands of black hair to stick out messily. Cold air fills his lungs and he kind of wishes mother would allow him back in. He's shivering and beauty suddenly feels unpleasant.

 

"Hey."

 

He turns around by surprise. Puffs of warm breath slide past plump lips and eyes lock with those equally black as his own, except his had a duller spark and fear to hide. A boy – probably only slightly older than himself - stands with a leather leash in his hand and a ridiculously big dog next to him. It could so easily run away at full speed and have the kid flying behind him with no control, and the mere thought of it slightly amused Kyungsoo.

"Wow, your skin's so white!" the boy gawks, and Kyungsoo instantly touches his face. "And your eyes are so big," he continues, and Kyungsoo's eyes widen even more. "And you're so… so tiny," and Kyungsoo notes how significantly smaller he is.

Suddenly, he asks, "What are you doing here by yourself? It's cold…"

Kyungsoo kind of wants to cry. He feels his mother's eyes stabbing so painfully into his back. He parts his trembling lips with so much hesitation as if he should say something back. The boy his head to a side, and he smiles. The playful kind, peppered with friendliness and so much unintentional curiosity. "Well?"

"I… I…" Kyungsoo starts, swallowing and tugging hard at his fingers. "M-my mo-mom is in the car. Sh-she t-told me to stand outs-side."

Almost instantly went the boys' eyes to the modestly damaged car parked left of him, and he understood. "Oh," he says and nods. "Well, bye bye then," he smiles – one last smile – and brushed past Kyungsoo and the golden dog following him with obedient steps. Kyungsoo watches him go with much sadness, pity and shattered hopes.

The boy stops just as he wanted to round around the corner and stiff fingers curled to make a snowball. With one last eye contact, he aims and throws the snowball at Kyungsoo, running away when a loud, piercing noise echoed as his mother slammed her fist against the steering wheel.

 

Kyungsoo never saw him again.