Pretty Boy Brawl

My Super Hero

Jonghyun screamed at the top of his steel lungs causing me and our assailants to cover our ears in pain. I watched my partner dodge the just in time as it whizzed past his head, slamming and sticking to the glass doors behind us. I looked to Jonghyun who’s eyes were wide, staring directly at the feline male. Anger seethed from him as my gaze locked with the other boy, noticing him flinch at my glare. Typical criminal.

 

I scoffed as I watched the younger glance desperately around the room, seemingly determined to make an escape. Yet before I could make another move, Jonghyun pounced, tackling the other to the floor, both of them kicking and scratching at each other. Even though Jonghyun could’ve easily overpowered the other, he refused. It was kind of like our own personal rule to never abuse our power, even in fist fights. 

 

Glancing from Jonghyun back to my opponent, something hard and rubbery slammed into my face. Stammering back I caught the in my hand and looked up to see the boy breathing unevenly. He just chucked a at me. My cheeks reddened…I underestimated that little . Throwing the toy angrily to the side I stalked closer to him, he shivered and backed away until he hit the wall. 

 

“H—hyung…” He whispered worriedly, almost on the verge of tears, but the other couldn’t hear him, he was still rolling around on the floor with dino boy. I stopped just in front of him and gazed into his watery chocolate colored eyes. He was pressed against the wall, his hands balled into fists, his lips quivering. I felt my heart jump, probably from the adrenaline. 

 

Ugh!

 

Frustrated, I threw a punch to the side of his head, crushing a hole thru the wall. I saw him gulp and watched his Adam’s apple bob. Silent tears began spilling from his eyes. Get a load of this…a criminal crying…Annoyed I raised my hand to his neck. He flinched and punched me in the gut, however I didn’t move an inch. He gazed up astonished and met my smirk as I pinched his neck, watching in satisfaction as he slid unconscious to the floor. 

 

Turning back to Jonghyun, I saw that he had also knocked out the other boy and had him dangling from his shoulder. A stupid smirk plastered to his lips. 

 

“Come on…let’s go home…” I huffed as I picked up my new house guest and hoisted him over my shoulder before walking out the door with hyung right on my heels. 

 

~

 

Taemin POV

I woke up sore and cold. Everything was cold. I shivered in the darkness, my tired bones resting on hard concrete. Slowly I tried to peel my eyes open, finding my vision blurred. The little light that seeped through the darkness was slowly becoming brighter. My head was pounding and my stomach growled. My nails scratched against the floor as I pushed myself up. Glancing around I noticed walls made of the same gray granite as the floor, and bars, solid steel bars trapping us in the small confines. 

 

Suddenly I heard a low groan, whipping my head around I saw Key, curled into a ball next to me, clutching his stomach and shoulder. Immediately I scurried to his side, the soft light that flickered into the cell allowed me to see Key’s face covered in bruises. I gritted my teeth as I turned him over and pulled him into my lap, desperately trying to assess our situation. I ran my hands over his arms and legs checking for breaks or sprains before noticing beads of sweat dripping from his forehead. His lips were cracked and dry and his body felt hot to the touch. Fever. Three days of not eating or drinking properly, and then the brawl with…

 

My eyes widened and my hands trembled as I recalled what happened. The shop, the two boys from before, the fight, and then darkness. I took a shaky breath as I looked around the cell, beyond the bars was a long hallway and a stone curved staircase that led up to a warm white light. Just outside the bars sat two wooden chairs, neither of them occupied. I strained to see the walls outside, there was not a single clock or window to tell if it was day or night. This wasn’t a modern day jail. This was a dungeon. 

 

“Good. You’re awake.” I flinched and my breath hitched as I looked around for the source of the sound. I swallowed before calling out to the mysterious figure lurking in the shadows. 

 

“W-who are you? Where are we?” I heard the shuffling of feet and the scratching of chair legs on concrete. Peering through the bars I saw the man who I fought with the night before, who was beautiful and fearsome at the same time.

 

“You aren’t in a position to be asking questions right now. So I’m gonna make this simple. Give me your name, the name of your partner, and your confession so I can get you out of my house and give you over to the police.” Even though his voice was threatening he couldn't hide the exhaustion in it. 

 

“Your house? You have a dungeon in your house…” 

 

“Look kid. I don't have all night-”

 

“I’m not a kid, I’m 23 thank you very much.” I smirked to myself. This was a game I could play. I may not be physically strong like my captor but my mental strength knew no bounds. I would get us out of this mess yet, for Key’s sake, I had to. 

 

“I’m not going to repeat myself. Your name and your confession.” He sounded more aggravated and I could've sworn I saw him tense in the chair. 

 

“No.”

 

“Wha- NO?!” 

 

“Yeah. No.” I said flatly as I gently ran a hand through Key’s sweat slicked hair. More sweat dripped from his head, I needed to get him out of here, and fast. I looked at my captor sitting outside the cell. He leaned forward, the flickering light made his facial features sharper and more deadly, his eyes looked cold and lifeless.

 

“I don’t have time to around with you-”

 

“Then why the didn’t you take us to the police in the first place?!” I spat out harshly. He was silent for a moment before huffing out his response. 

 

“…Because it was three in the ing morning and I didn’t feel like dropping your asses off at the station.”

 

“Not my problem.”

 

“No you ARE my problem. Now if you don’t tell me what I need to know I’ll starve you and your feline friend.” I chucked to myself. He can threaten me all he wants, I refused to cave. I looked down at Key; a smirk tugged at my lips.  

 

“Heh, what’s one more day.” He paused for a moment to lean back and crossed his arms over his chest.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“We’re already starving, so what’s one more day?” I caught him shifting uncomfortably in his chair out of the corner of my eye. My smirk grew wider, my plan was working. 

 

“Ok, look. Just tell me what I want, you’ll go to the police station and get out of my house and I’ll guarantee that you and your friend get fed. Everyone wins.”

 

“Yea…except that I don’t win. We still go to jail while you lounge around in your wannabe Bat Cave.” At that exact moment Key began hacking violently, his body curling in on itself. I felt my heart stop as I held him closer, doing anything to try and comfort him. Suddenly I heard the scrapping noise of the chair legs, whipping my head around to see my captor had risen to peek further into the cell. I looked down at Key once more, before quickly shedding off my jacket and wrapping him in it. A cold chill ran down my spine as I tried to nestle him in my arms. 

 

“I’ll be back.” I turned to see the handsome strange bound up the stairs and into the light. I shuffled around and pressed my back against the concrete wall, pulling my hyung with me, his head cradled gently in my lap. I breathed deeply, slowly taking in my surroundings and quickly coming to the conclusion that there was no escape. Diplomacy and negotiating was our only chance of survival — if anything I could buy us some time, one for Key to get better, and second for us to plan an escape. 

 

I waited for what felt like hours before I heard a large wooden door opening and soft padded footsteps descending the stairs. I looked up to see another male, different from the two we met last night and myself earlier. He was shorter, but seemed muscular, of course I couldn’t truly tell under…what was that? A butler’s uniform? I couldn’t help notice the small silver tray he carried that contained two glasses of ice cold water. 

 

“Who are you supposed to be? Jarvis?” The other chuckled, his smile making his eyes turn into crescent moons. 

 

“No no. More like…Alfred.”

 

“Oh my God. He really thinks he’s Batman.” I whispered just loud enough for the two of us to hear. 

 

“Well…you aren’t entirely wrong. My name is Onew, I’m the butler to the master’s of the house. 

 

“You mean flaming frog and dino breath?” He chuckled and nodded.

 

“Of course they go by more normal names. Your “flaming frog” is Master Choi Minho, and the other is Master Kim Jonghyun.” As he said this, Onew produced a keycard from the front pocket of his tailor made suit. He quickly slid the card in place and we both watched as the cell door slid open. Automatic huh. My eyebrow quirked up, as he approached and carefully lowered the tray. “Here.” 

 

I glanced from him and then to the water. “It’s not drugged is it?” He chuckled again. 

 

“No. It’s not. Although my masters can be a bit rough around the edges, they only want what’s best for their city and it’s people.” 

 

“Their city? What do they like own it?” As teased as I plucked one glass from the tray. 

 

“Not in the way you would think…” He watched intrigued as I held Key’s head up and pressed the glass to his lips. He groaned as the water trickled down his throat. After managing to drink, I fished an ice cube out and pressed it to his neck before sliding it down his face and neck. He still felt feverish and my worry only increased. “Will he be okay?”

 

“He has to be.” I whispered without glancing up. Onew leaned down, setting the tray on the floor he expertly drew a hankerchief from his pocket and pressed it to Key’s face. Yet upon doing so, a small device, no bigger than a flashlight fell from the same pocket. Flushed, we reached for it at the same time, however I was quicker. I was about to hand it back to him when I noticed the small white inscription carved into the side. 

 

“Swiss Polyfur Magnetizing wire cutters. Model A-237. Good brand.” After inspecting it further I noticed something…odd. “You…you replaced the steal cutters with a titanium blade to maximize strength and used the magnetic pushback to divide the power in half making it lighter….did you customize it yourself? I don’t remember titanium being standard issue.” I looked up to hand the wire cutters back then I saw Onew’s frozen glare, his eyes wide and wild.

 

“Uhh I…yeah. How did you—“

 

“My family use to work with these all the time. They had a certain…occupation that required them to know stuff like this.” Suddenly Onew plopped down smack in front of me, passing me yet another device from his pocket. I felt Key let out a satisfied sigh as he curled further into my lap, then suddenly I heard him snoring softly. I looked down and smiled, keeping the ice pressed to his head. A little rest wouldn’t hurt him, and… I looked up at the butler, a sweet smile gracing my lips…maybe befriending the butler might help us in the end. 

 

~

 

“What about calibrating the internal mechanism to a higher speed?” 

 

“I tried that. But all it does it make the motor overheat. It’s a handheld launcher, so if it overheats—

 

“It burns the user. What about adding a cooling agent to the motor, like an encompassing latex bond tha—

 

“Onew! What…what the hell dude?” It had been three hours since the man who captured us…Minho…and Jonghyun returned to our humble cell. In that time, Key had drank an entire glass of water and used up all the ice cubes. He was now resting semi-peacefully in my lap. Onew and I talked the entire time, he was smart. Extremely smart. I came to find out that he was a weapons engineer, a damn good one at that. Through our brief conversation, much to my own surprise I grew to like him and he liked me. I felt only slight bad that I was using him…slightly.

 

“Onew…we asked you to keep an eye on them, not befriend them.” Onew and I looked like deer in headlights. I was about to protest when Onew quickly jumped in. 

 

“Guys. I don’t think you get it. This kid’s a genius. He understands all my designs!” Well, good to know the plan is working.

 

“O—kay…and what of the other criminal?” Minho blurted out uncaringly. 

 

“WE AREN’T CRIMINALS!” I yelled and Minho replied with a scoff. 

 

“Oh. He passed out midway through our talk about the internal apparatus of—you know what…nevermind.” Just then Key started to cough, causing me to immediately sit up and hold on to his shoulders.  

 

“Hyung! Hyung it’s okay. I’m here.” He grabbed my arms and clutched them tighter, his body wrenching as his coughing became more violently. Then I felt a warm wetness dampening my shirt. I looked down and my breath caught in my throat. “HYUNG!” I yelled as I tried to sit him up. Blood streaked the side of his lips as he coughed up more blood. I got scared…terrified actually. I thought he was getting better. He was sleeping so soundly…how could I have let my guard down? Suddenly I was face to face with Jonghyun and Minho who had entered the cell at lightening speed to investigate. I turned my gaze to Minho who flinched upon seeing my tears. I didn’t care anymore. the plan. escaping. I didn’t care if I spent the rest of my life behind bars; as long as I could save Key. 

 

“Please…please I’ll tell you whatever you want. Just help him!” Minho paused for only a moment before meeting Jonghyun’s quick glance. Then Key was scooped from my arms and rushed up the stairs. I scampered to my feet and was half way through the threshold when I was violently pushed back into the cell, the cold iron bars slamming in my face. 

 

“WAIT! Please let me come with you. He needs me!” I flew myself against the bars, the iron echoing through the damp basement. 

 

“Stay.” Minho ordered as he turned to leave.

 

“No. No. NO! Please I swear I won’t run away! I swear!” I screamed my fists tightening, the metal making my hands red and raw. 

 

“What is he to you?” I froze at the question. Minho only repeated himself impatiently. 

 

“He’s my hyung.” 

 

“Your hyung, or your boyfriend?” My mouth slightly dropped at this. Of all the things to ask…this was his first question. I bit my tongue and glared my captor down. Would he be like the rest? Would he deny Key aid if he knew?

 

“I—No. No he’s not.” 

 

“Really? Then why so desperate to save him?” He cocked his head to the side, a slight smirk resting on his full lips. I dropped my head as tears continued to fall. 

 

“Wouldn’t you if it was your brother?” He stopped then, his features softening as he continued to look at me with pathetic eyes. 

 

“I’ll be back…soon.” He turned without another word and marched up the stairs to God knows where. I slunk down and sat with my back pressed against the rusted metal, my hands loosely gripping the bars beside me. I felt more alone than I had back in that alleyway so many years ago. I closed my eyes and willed the memories away. Instead I prayed, and swore, and prayed some more. My only thoughts were on Key now. 

 

~

 

Minho POV

 

“How’s he looking?” I asked as I barged into one of the many spare bedrooms of the mansion. It was decorated in the same modern style as the rest of the house. The queen sized bed was plush with white sheets and comforter. Jonghyun sat on one side of the bed as Onew stood on the other. Lying in the middle was the thief from the night before. He looked pale and pasty, his eyes were sunken in and sweat dripped from his brow. I glanced up at Onew who was busily taking his vitals and setting up all sorts of medical contraptions and devices. 

 

“Well…as far as I can tell Master Minho, there’s a lot of things that could be wrong. If not a combination of things.” 

 

“Meaning?” 

 

“He’s dehydrated for one, even though we gave him so much water. On top of that, he has a sever cold, borderline phenomena, and exhaustion. 

 

“What about the blood?” Jonghyun surprised me with a concerned whisper. His eyes never once leaving the younger. 

 

“That’s…a bit more complicated.” Jonghyun and I turned, silently giving Onew permission to continue. “He’s severely malnourished, his body is literally hurting itself to tell him to eat.” 

 

“It’s been almost seven hours since we brought them here. How could he be—“

 

“It’s possible. The other one…when I was interrogating him, threatening him actually…he hinted to something like this. That they were already starving and… “what’s one more day?” Onew bit his lip, his mind already going a mile a minute.

 

“Guys. I know I’m not the detective here, but do you think that maybe…they were stealing because they were starving?” I forced myself to bite back a growl. 

 

“Doubt it. They’re probably faking—”

 

“Does he look like he’s faking to you Minho?!” Jonghyun yelled. I took a step back, my eyes wide with shock. I looked over the feline boy again and immediately felt the stinging twang of guilt rise up in my chest. I thought back to the boy I kept locked in the cell. He said he was 23, yet he looked so small and fragile, even if I didn’t have powers I could break him. He looked so helpless, my heart thumped at his big brown eyes that were soaked with tears. What if it was your brother? I looked at Jonghyun, he was right…there was nothing I wouldn’t do for him. 

 

“How long until he’s stable?” 

 

“Probably within the hour.” 

 

“Good. Let me know when he is, then I’ll bring up his cohort.”