How Superhero’s Welcome New Villains

My Super Hero

We left early in the morning with only the brightly shining stars above us as our guide. It would take about three hours to arrive in the new city. We drove and drove, never stopping once.

 

Dawn was beginning to break as we entered the city. The sight was beautiful. The orange and yellow kissed skyline illuminated the golden beaches and gave life to the crashing ocean waves. The entrance to the city was on a large hill, once at the top you could see the whole city in it’s splendor and might. The buildings and homes joined together by streets and sidewalks, all leading down to the ocean. The cliff side cast a eerie shadow over the city. A single mansion stood proudly in the distance keeping a watchful eye over all of it’s citizens, unprepared for who was coming from the outside world. ‘Rich Bastards.’ 

 

I nudged Tae as we passed through the city gate. He had passed out in the passenger seat about an hour into the drive. Once he opened and rubbed his tired eyes, they widened at the sight. This was our new home. 

 

We drove further into the heart of the city, where shops were already beginning to open for the day. As we passed, the neighborhood seemed to smile as it awakened. Everyone greeted us with smiles or a wave of the hand. Tae just looked at me skeptically as we drove on. If our thoughts were the same, which they almost always were, he was thinking that something was seriously off. How can so many people be so…happy?

 

Thankfully because of the super-happy-go-lucky citizens attitudes and willingness to help, we were able to find a cheap apartment in about an hour of being there. It was small, no bigger than the one we left, with a small kitchen and dining room, a living room, one bathroom, and two bedrooms. It smelled like cinnamon and cookies. I smiled weakly at Tae as we began unpacking the little things that we had. We unpacked the groceries as well, it was enough to get us through the weeks ahead. 

 

Taemin can out into the living and froze. I looked up to see him staring wide-eyed at me. 

 

“What?” He quietly moved closer to me and enveloped me in a gentle but firm hug. I hugged him back with just as much strength. Pulling away he wiped my tear stained eyes. I didn’t realize that I had been crying.  Then he smiled at me, with his bright, beautiful child-like smile that made my heart feel lighter and my soul warmer. Maybe this was a fresh start, one for the better. A new city, a new place to call home. Things were definitely starting to look up. 

 

~

 

A week passed and we still haven’t found a job. The first thing we did after arriving in the city and finding an apartment was look for jobs. Anything would do honestly, just something to bring in the rent and food until we found a place in this city. The morning after moving in we had all sorts of neighbors coming over and offering their help and friendship, until they found out our orientation. I don’t even know how the figured it out….like Key and I weren’t a couple so how? I guess it doesn’t help when you have shabby chic decor with rainbow colors and pride memorabilia dotting your outfits.

 

Even though the city was rather large, apparently word got around fast that the two newbies from who-knows-where were sinful -loving pretty boys. What made it worse, was that it affected our employment status. Interview after interview, meeting after meeting, Key and I found more and more companies and shops knew about us and although their reasons varied such as not completing college or not being able to dress for the job…the reason they didn’t hire us that hurt the most was because we were openly gay, well at least Key was. I never actually defined myself, I didn't feel like I had too, but since I was living with Key, I was automatically labeled as gay. 

 

We never thought in a million years we would be subjected to this kind of torment and humility. We knew people looked down on our lifestyle but to go as far as to deny us of a job was outright insane. The longer we stayed we began to meet people who did indeed support us, because they too were in the same situation, however, they were not openly gay- and no one would ever know. 

 

The city government apparently looks down on the LGBT community, yet one exists underground. One so big, that it could possibly take over the city and its government. We became part of their group, silent but proud. Yet, we were still alone. During the night we were loved, welcomed, and supported by this underground group, yet during the day the same people would look upon us with shame so they could keep up their own act. 

 

It disgusted me. 

 

Soon we were becoming desperate. Our food supply slowly running low- soon to be gone within the next few days. That’s when Key approached me with an idea. One that I had refused to entertain, even though it was too enticing not to. 

 

~

 

“You could just fake it, and say that you don’t support it.” I said half-heartedly. Tae and I sat among the sprawled newspapers and job applications at the kitchen table. He was quickly scribbling on what seemed to be his 100th application, this one to a diner when he looked up. HIs eyes shining and bright as ever met mine with a series gaze.

 

“No. Then I would have to be someone that I’m not. And I can’t do that to you.” He stated flatly, as if it was second nature to defend me. 

 

I’ll give him that, Taemin - he knew who he was and what he believed in, and he’d be damned if he was going to act fake in order to get a job. Kiss he could do, but act like he hated the LGBT? Like he hated me? No, like hell he could. Me, not so much, I was always the one ready to play pretend, to put on a mask as long as it go me through, but this time, in this city, where rumors spread like wildfire. I was too late to the game. 

 

As the days went by, the stash of money and food was getting dangerously low. Unfortunately, that’s when naughty little thoughts begin teasing the back of my mind. 

 

Steal. 

 

Rob. 

 

I shook my head furiously as I sat picking through more of the helped wanted ads. I couldn’t have these thoughts. We just started a new life. I wouldn’t ruin it. Not again. I looked over to Taemin whose eyebrows were furrowed with concentration. What kind of life would he have had if we never met? What kind of life could I give him now? I felt responsible for him in so many ways. How could I take care of him when I couldn’t even take care of myself. 

 

Steal. 

 

I jumped up and ran into the bathroom. Stripping away my clothes I the shower and submerged myself under the cold water. I needed to calm down and focus, there had to be something in this damn city. 

 

Rob. 

 

‘. . .’ I swore under my breath as I stepped out of the shower. Grabbing a towel I dried myself off. Catching my reflection in the mirror I froze. The dark circles under my eyes persuaded the even darker thoughts to invade my mind. 

 

We could do it. Just like old times. And in a place as big as this, there’s bound to be a place loaded with cash. Not a bank, no- too risky. A small shop would suffice, one that people frequented a lot. Suddenly a million shop signs floated though my head, finally landing on one that was guaranteed to bring in the dough. 

 

‘Tease’ was a shop. A shady shop at that. Sure it sold the normal toys and , but it also sold tobacco and smoking products. That mixed with the sales of the adult items, that shop was the perfect target. It was off of the main roads, hidden on a narrow side street, known only to loyal customers and those who stumbled upon it. In the dark, the shop was barely lit, with only neon signs in the window to show that they were open 24 hours a day. 

 

I stepped out of the bathroom with a wicked smile hanging on my lips. Those thoughts seductively whispering in my ear.  I was so deep in my thoughts that I barely noticed Tae had gotten up from his seat and was following me around and calling my name.

 

“Key!” He yelled, finally pulling me out of my trance. Immediately I felt ashamed that I had those thoughts swimming around in my head. Tae eyed me carefully before he spoke again. 

 

‘I-I know that look….’ I sighed, of course he knew that look. 

 

“It’s nothing Taemin. Just…thinking…” I murmured as I strode into my bedroom and started pulling out my pajamas. 

 

“That’s a very dangerous thing for you Key. What were you thinking about?” He followed me in and plopped down on my bed. I stopped and turned to him. His round eyes followed me as I sat next to him making the normally plush mattress sink. 

 

“I-I was thinking…we should…pull another job…” My voice was so meek that I all but choked out the last part. I saw Taemin freeze as I read the emotions passing through his beautiful brown orbs. 

 

“N-NO! Key No! I refuse! I’m not doing! I don’t want to!” He started to get up but I was faster as I moved to wrap my arms around him. I pulled him back down with me so we were once again sitting side by side.

 

“SHHhhhh Taemin. I know I know! It’s just…I- we won’t have food or money by next week Tae, what are we going to do? I can’t let you starve!” I felt him shiver in my arms, I slowly pulled back and  brushed his hair from his face. “It’s ok Tae. It was just a thought, nothing more.” He only nodded, yet there was a distant look in his eyes. He wanted a new life away from crime, we both did, but at the same time we were going to starve, and the city employment rate for gays wasn’t helping either. 

 

“W-where?” I heard Taemin whisper against my chest as I continued to hold him close. 

 

“Not telling.” 

 

“Wae?” 

 

“Because…I don’t need you to get any ideas either…” 

 

“I’m just curious hyung.” He sounded tired like he could fall asleep any moment. I sighed and told him. The Shop. I felt his face heat up, pulling away I saw the blood red blush tinting his cheeks.

 

“Yah! Lee Taemin! What dirty thoughts are you think of?!” I yelled playfully, desperately trying to change the mood. I felt so relieved when he laughed. That laugh was golden and brought us happiness even when our lives weren’t so great. Little did I know that my little mastermind was already devising a plan that would make us a thousand times richer. 

 

~

 

The city air was warm tonight, the small breeze that managed to escape down the narrow alley cooled our feverish heads. I smirked from my hiding place, adrenaline pumped through my veins, sparking every nerve in my body. We dressed in black, once again becoming one with the shadows of the night, moving soundlessly in the dark. We spotted the shop Tease and quickly moved into position. My eyes sparkled with excitement and thrill as I glanced towards my roommate. I watched as his chest rose and fell rapidly, willing himself to calm down before the act. I felt the cold plastic of the toy pistol in my hand, it was only a toy, yet painted black for realistic effect. I took once last deep breath and pulled my black ski mask over my face before nodding to my partner. He nodded with teeth clenched, copying my actions, we prepared to strike.

 

I couldn’t help myself. I told him of my plan that following morning of robbing the shop. It would be easy as pie. We would take turns scoping out the place, getting to know the layout both inside and out, really understand our surroundings. We would take a night to watch the place from our hideout in the darkened alleyway; what times were the busiest and what were the “dead” hours. From that information, I devised a plan of attack. 

 

Key refused. Repeatedly.  As I knew he would. Yet on the second day without food, Key caved. As I knew he would. I loved Key, when he suffered, I suffered. We were one in the same. He saved my life, it would only be fair if I saved his. 

 

My plan was simple. Get in. Get the cash. Get out. No one sees us, we don’t seem them. Completely invisible. My watch beeped 2am, right on time. One last breath, one last prayer and we were stealthily moving toward the entrance. Key led the way, only to pause when we reached the double glass doors. I nudged him softly and without hesitation he pulled the door open. 

 

Inside was rows upon rows of racks filled with every movie imaginable. Along the walls hung various toys ranging from equipment to s and more. y outfits with matching shoes lined the other wall. The opposite end of the shop was where the two registers were fixed upon a long glass case. The case contained high market tobacco and glassware products and high-end brand new toys. A fat bald man, easily in his late 30’s perched himself over the glass counter, a newspaper in his hand and a cigar in his mouth. He barely spared us a glance as he murmured a half-assed welcome. 

 

Key and I glanced at each other with a smirk. No one else was in the cramped little shop. This…was going to be a cake walk. 

 

Quickly I strode right up the man as Key turned, keeping an eye on the door. I took the end of my gun and stuck it right in the man’s face, using the top to push down his newspaper. I loved watching the array of emotions the man expressed as he eyed the gun merely inches from his face. No words were exchanged between us except “You know what to do.” He nodded furiously and immediately went to his first register, opening it, he gathered all of the cash and stuffed it into my open palm. 

 

“YO.” I whispered harshly, grabbing Key’s attention. He bolted to my side with an open black burlap bag in his hands, patiently awaiting to be filled with cash. I threw the cash I had in my hand into the bag and turned to watch the door. The man having finished with the first register quickly moved to the second. So far so good, no customers and no cops. Yet I couldn’t relax, not until we were running down the alleyways, hiding in the shadows once more as the sires roared. I turned to check on Key, to my relief the man was just about done with register two when I heard the front door chime. 

 

. Customers. 

 

I whipped my head around and stood face to face with a tall brown haired man. Slim but muscular under his black undershirt and black leather jacket, and those oh-so-tight black jeans. His hair was tousled and his beautiful brown eyes were wide and wild. I had to catch my breath and remember my task at hand. Key quickly joined my side ready to fight our way out if we needed to. 

 

“Back up.” I whispered loud enough for all to hear while pointing my gun at the handsome stranger. Yet he just glared at us, his tired eyes almost emotionless. “Come on man. You don’t want this to get messy do you?” I asked sweetly. I could almost hear Key’s hushed whispers, but it was difficult to tell what he was saying over my growling stomach. 

 

Then he laughed. The handsome stranger in front of us laughed. My eyes widened as I watched him double over, clutching his stomach as he did so. 

 

“Yah! What’s so funny Minho?” I heard another voice exclaim from outside of the shop. Suddenly another man, much smaller but just as muscular popped out from behind the other. He was dressed in all black as well, with his hair slightly spiked. I heard Key in a breath and knew he was feeling something similar. They were both beautiful. 

 

“Looks like we got a couple of wanna-be’s here Jong, nothing to get all worked up over.” I saw the Dino looking boy slide his eyes over us both. 

 

“This…this is what I woke up at 2am for?” Suddenly the other began laughing as well. We took this as our cue to run. We knew there was another way out. A back door. Whoever these guys were they obviously weren’t here for the . They didn’t look like cops, they looked too young. Whatever the case was, we knew we couldn’t get caught. Silently we moved about in one fluid motion towards the back of the shop, backing away from the laughing duo slowly. We were turning around when the laughter ceased and a strong voice rang out.

 

“I really wish you wouldn’t.” There was poison dripping all over the phrase. We were dead men. At least in prison we would get fed right? I turned and my eyes met with the taller man’s. I felt numb, his eyes that were before emotionless were now brimmed and spewing with hate. I gulped hard and glanced to my right. Figuring my partner was as frozen under their gazes as I was the dumbest thing to think. Of course Key had a way out, he always had a way out of everything. His particular way out of this situation was arching his arm back with a large in his hand. 

 

3.

 

2.

 

1.

 

FIRE. 

 

Key shameless chucked the across the room, its rubbery shape wobbled through the air as it closed in on it’s target, the Dino.