Chapter 4

How Can This Be? - Editing

Last night felt great.

 

Haneul slept at 9:30 pm. She rarely slept that early. There were one quizz and two unit tests. She was worn out from studying so much. Sleeping early was the best thing she did in her life because she got up early.

 

Kris on the other other hand also slept early. Since he finished his homework early, he decided to sleep early also. He couldn’t even remember the last time he slept early. It probably was a few years ago.

 

At 6:30am Haneul woke up with a bright smile. She wasn’t sure if it was with the full night’s sleep or talking to Kris last night. It was funny since though Haneul was a shy individual, she still somehow managed to get through the “date” with Kris.

 

At 7:00am Kris woke up from the sun shining it’s rays through the curtains of his windows. He was also smiling for the day coming ahead of him or it was probably from yesterday’s event.

 

At 7:15am Chen woke up from his alarm clock. It wasn’t a good thing when you woke up with a headache. He probably either thought about something too much or he drank. He couldn’t do the latter since he was underage. Chen probably woke up feeling hurt in some way.

 

Once the three woke up (though they woke up at different times), they went to the restroom to get ready for the day ahead of them.

 

When Haneul finished getting ready, it was 6:56am. She grabbed one of her notebooks on her table and started studying until 7:23am. Haneul left her room quietly and went towards the kitchen to grab a ripe pear for breakfast.

 

She left the penthouse and pressed for the elevator. When she got in, she didn’t notice another person. It wasn’t just any person, it was a man. It was Kris. Haneul was too busy eating her pear and holding a notebook to notice.

 

Kris on the other hand was shocked to see Haneul enter the elevator. He didn’t think that she’d wake up this early. He wanted to start a conversation, but he didn’t know how since he didn’t want to bother her studying.

 

“So how are you?” Kris asked. Luckily, they were the only two people on the elevator.

 

Haneul jumped slightly from the voice. She turned around and saw Kris. She was shocked to know that Kris was also in this elevator.

 

“Oh. Uhm…Great,” Haneul managed to reply.

 

“So about studying, how was it?”

 

“It was great. Most of it was just reviewing.”

 

“Oh seems fun,” Kris tried to lighten up the mood.

 

“Studying isn’t fun. Not to intrude your privacy, but you live here?”

 

“Yes, I live here. Is that a problem?”

 

“No, no. That isn’t it,” Haneul tried to move on to another topic as the two exited the elevator.

 

“Then what is the problem?”

 

“No problem at all. I have no idea what you are talking about,” Haneul left the building with Kris trailing behind her. The two headed to the bus station waiting for it’s arrival.

 

“Okay then,” Kris replied, “I’ll see you at school.” He left walking towards his chauffeur standing next to the 2014 Lincoln MKZ.

 

While Kris was walking towards the Lincoln, he decided to walk towards Haneul. He thought it would be better if she rode in the car than on the bus.

 

“Hey Haneul! Want a ride?” He semi-yelled casually. She didn’t like that the attention was all on her. It was a good thing that people only looked at them for a brief moment and before going back to what they were doing.

 

“No, no. I’m okay. Thanks for the offer,” Haneul shook her head. For her it was a great time since the bus came just in time. She got on and left.

 

Kris on the other hand felt dejected but managed a smile as he walked back to his car. His chauffeur closed the door for Kris after he got in the car.

 

“Where to, young master?” The chauffeur asked.

 

“School.” Kris briefly replied. The car sped off to the direction of school. He took out his phone and read through the messages the two sent to each other last night.

 

On the other hand, Chen groggily left home. He didn’t feel like staying there since he wanted to see Haneul as soon as possible.

 

“Mom, I’m leaving,” He shouted through the house.

 

“Okay and be quiet. Your sister is still sleeping,” His mother lightly scolded.

 

“Then wake her up. Bye mom,” He grabbed his bag and left.

 

Chen started speed walking to school. Though school wasn’t to his liking, he just couldn’t wait to spend the day with Haneul.

 

Once he was near school, he saw a Lincoln pulling up to the drop zone. Not far from the Lincoln was a bus. He hoped Haneul was on that bus. To his luck, she was.

 

“Hey Haneul!” The two boys greeted her as they were walking towards her.

 

Haneul was shocked to hear the two boys scream. She couldn’t enjoy this beautiful morning in peace. She mentally sighed as the two approached her.

 

Today is going to be a long day.

 

“Hi Chen...and Kris again,” Haneul tried to smile as she entered the school campus.

 

“Where are you going?” The two asked synchronously.

 

“To be alone and also away from you creeps,” She chuckled slightly as she walked towards the library. Maybe today she couldn’t be at the 2nd floor but the third.

 

Kris and Chen stared at Haneul as she walked away.

 

“Creep?” They both tilted their head simultaneously to the left side.

 

The two didn’t understand the fact why Haneul would call them creeps. In their opinion, they are not creeps at all, or so the two thought.

 

“So where do you think Haneul is going?” Kris asked the latter.

 

“Are you blind?” Chen scoffed, “Logically, she is walking towards the library.”

 

“But you don’t know if she is going to stay in the library, smart one,” Kris patted Chen’s back.

 

Chen was starting to get infuriated by this guy. It was his attitude and the way he talked irked him. He also didn’t like the fact that this guy was somehow knew Haneul. He could also tell that Kris was rich from the car he had. Lincoln.

 

Kris on the other hand found this kid cute. It kind of makes Chen look like as he is her overprotective brother in a way. He knew that he annoyed Chen since it was intended. But something threw Kris off his game. If Haneul rode the bus and he rode his car, then isn’t his car supposedly faster than the bus since it made no stops?  

 

“So Jongdae,” Kris read the name of his name tag, “I have something to ask you.”

 

“What is it, Yifan? And it’s Chen,” Chen also glanced at the taller’s name tag but to his luck, he mispronounced it.

 

“It’s also not Yifan but Kris,” Kris remarked, “If a bus and car start and ended at the same place, how do they both reach the end point in the same time?”

 

“Then does the bus make stops like a regular public bus?” Chen thought logically.

 

“Yes it does.”

 

“Then the only way is that the car goes a little slower than the bus since it makes stops. After the bus makes its last stop before the end point, the car and the bus both go at the same speed making them meet at the same place.”

 

Kris’s idea was also almost the same with Chen’s, almost.

 

“Okay. I know what you are getting at,” Kris acknowledged.

 

“So what are you doing here so early in the morning?”

 

“I was going to ask you that. I have somethings to deal with the principle,” Kris easily lied.

 

“I just want to explore the campus since I don’t know it very well,” Chen scratched the back of his neck.

 

“I’ll give you a tour if you want. Let me just text them,” Kris texted them in a group chat with the place.

 

“Oh. Thanks.”

 

“Anytime. So how are you liking this school?”

 

“It’s decent. Bigger than all the other schools I’ve been to. This place seems fancy in a way.”

 

“If there is anything that you don’t like or want a change, you can come talk to me about and I’ll fix it.”

“Oh sure. I’ll let you know,” Chen replied when Kris’s friends arrived.

 

“Yo Kris!” One screamed with two others following him. He seemed to have the same physique as Kris and they all seemed quite familiar in a way.

 

“What’s up guys?” Kris greeted them, “Chen, I’d like to introduce you to Chanyeol, Yixing also known as Lay, Luhan and Minseok.” Kris introduced.

 

“Nice to meet you guys, I’m Chen,” Chen greeted back.

 

“Aye Chen! Didn’t I meet you yesterday?” Chanyeol asked, titling his head to the side.

 

“I’m not sure,” Chen scratched the back of his head. He could see the sadness or disappointment in the latter’s face. “Of course I remember!” Chen hit Chanyeol’s arm playfully.

 

“Shall we get started?” Kris asked breaking the two’s conversation s he motion Chen towards the school’s main building.

 

/~/

 

Haneul immediately sighed as soon as she walked into the library, closing the doors quietly behind her. She wasted no time and walked up to the third floor of the library.

 

There were a lot of empty tables by the edge of the library. She chose the table by the windows farthest from the stairs. She took a brief glance of the time from her phone before throwing it back into her backpack. 7:36 am it read.

 

39 more minutes before class officially starts. The first bell rings at 8:05 when the building opens, 8:10 is the warning bell and 8:15 is when class starts.

 

“Time to study,” Haneul lowly said to herself while taking out her math notebook. She shuffled through her bag to look for it but no avail.

 

“Darn, I must’ve left it at home. Oh well…” she sighed. Haneul grabbed her phone from her backpack and plugged in her earphones. She set an alarm for 8:00 and played music the ringed through the earphones.

 

/~/

 

“So how’d you think of the school?” Chanyeol asks with much enthusiasm.

 

“Not bad,” Chen casually replied.

 

“That’s all you can say? Not bad?!?!” Luhan screeched.

 

“Chill man. Well it is definitely better than my old school. I can see it is quite fancy here,” Chen nodded.

 

“Well I hope you have a enjoyable time here,” Minseok smiled brightly.

 

“If you have any questions you can ask us,” Kris added.

 

“Sure no problem,” Chen replied politely.

 

The six of them continued their tour around the school. The interior of the school seemed bigger than expected. Though the exterior of the building is big, the interior was even bigger.

 

“Did you get your locker yet?” Yixing asked from out of the blue. It was the first time he talked this whole morning.

 

“No, not yet,” Chen suddenly thought about it. “Where do I even get one?”

 

“Office,” Luhan answered

 

“We have time. Let’s go back down to the office then,” Minseok suggested as they walked back down to the first floor.

 

The boys had some small chatter on their way down to the office. Chen got closer to the other five boys. One of the things that stuck in his mind was that many people mispronounce Lay’s  Chinese name which is why he has Lay as his name.

 

Kris didn’t bother to stop as soon as they stopped in front of the office. He walked straight in, not caring that other staff was looking at him.

 

“Well I could’ve done this myself,” Chen muttered.

 

“Don’t worry. Kris is good with these kinds of things,” Luhan reassured, putting his hand on Chen’s shoulder.

 

From the looks of it, the secretary was busy looking for something as Kris was addressing this matter. The secretary got a piece of paper, wrote something down and handed it to Kris. He then left the office abruptly and handed the piece of paper to Chen.

 

“There. This is your locker now,” Kris smiled.

 

Only numbers were written on that piece of paper.

167

35-2-26

 

“Thanks. How did you get it so fast? They told me that I’d get my locker next week,” Chen scratched his head.

 

“Connections and things like that,” Kris vaguely replied.

 

“Well we have about 9 minutes before school starts. Let’s take a breather,” Chanyeol suggested before pulling Chen out to the front of the school.

 

Chen stiffened slightly. He thought they were a good group of people, not from some gang. Truthfully, he was slightly scared.

 

“Wait. You guys aren’t talking about smoking right?” Chen asked cautiously.

 

Everyone stopped and started laughing louddly.

 

“You seriously thought we were going to smoke? Who do you think we are?” Luhan laughed.

 

“Well, Chanyeol did say to ‘take a breather’ so yeah…”

 

“He meant breathe the fresh air before we are going to be cooped in this building for a few hours,” Kris explained.

 

The six of them went out to the front of the school to breathe the fresh air. They were also waiting for the rest of their friends, some whom are usually late to school.

 

Chen also met Joonmyeon, Tao and Kyungsoo. Joonmyeon usually comes earlier but since he had some business to deal with he came a little later.

 

There wasn’t really much they talked about. It was mostly Kris introducing Chen to his friends and Chen introducing himself. To Chen, he was just meeting new faces or maybe some new friends also.

 

The bell rang signaling that it was time to head inside the building. A lot of students walked into the school without hesitation since this is what most of the students did in the morning.

 

“What class do you have first Chen?” MInseok asked curiously.

 

“English, on the fourth floor,” Chen sighed.

 

“More stairs for you,” Chanyeol laughed.

 

“Good luck up those stairs,” Luhan boasted.

 

“Thanks. See you guys soon,” Chen waved as he walked towards the fourth floor.

 

Chen started panting as he reached the fourth floor. A lot of students were looking at him weirdly but he didn’t care. For sakes, it was only his second day of school.

 

Walking confidently, the warning bell ringed throughout the hallways surprising Chen. He still hadn’t gotten used to the weird bell schedule for the morning.

 

Chen made it into the class with a two minutes sparring. With no hesitation, he quickly went to his seat next to Haneul. He wanted to start a conversation but he didn’t know how, especially from what happened this morning. Though it wasn’t that big of a conflict, heck it wasn’t a conflict at all, he still couldn’t approach her even though she was right next to him. By the time he thought of something to say, class had begun. He mentally cursed himself for not being able to talk earlier.

 

The two sat in class listening to the lecture, which was quite boring. Though English is a worldwide language, Chen didn't think he needed that language yet or so he thought.

 

The next few classes came by fast. Though most of the time you'd rather be sleeping, it is still quite informational depending on how the it is being taken in.

 

"Yassssss, lunch time is here!" Chen exclaimed.

 

"It's just lunch. The best part is after school since we get to run free," Baekhyun exaggerated.

 

It was true that after school is the best since they got to actually leave school. Lunch was just an hour break before you get back to class.

 

"That's true but at least we have a break from learning. That's boring."

 

"Tell me about. Let's go meet with the others and get lunch," Baekhyun put an arm around Chen's neck as the two happily walked out the classroom.

 

On the other hand, Haneul was slowly packing up like always. It never mattered that she left the classroom later than everyone else. Nobody was waiting for her anyways so it wasn't a problem.

 

She walked towards her locker which was down the hallway. Her phone buzzed as she was close to her locker and decided to view the message when she got there.

 

The dial on the lock turned as Haneul inputted the combination. She placed the books in her locker neatly and took out her phone viewing the message.

 

From Kris 12:38pm

Meet me on the roof.

 

It was lunch time. Haneul couldn't understand why Kris would want to see her when he has friends. She doubt that he didn't care for them since they seemed real close.

 

To Kris 12:40pm

Why? Don't you have better things to do?

 

From Kris 12:41pm

C'mon plzzzz  it's important

 

To Kris 12:42pm

Fine. Whatever. Cya in a few

 

 

 

 

 


A/N

Yay an update!

Truthfully I thought that it would be later that I would update but here it is~!

And also thanks to my wonderful beta to edit all this.

BTW did you guys notice the new story poster and background image? It was updated in like May by Drea at The Graphic Dump.

Summer is here so I hope to write more for you guys to read.

Hope you enjoyed this update~