Chapter 6

What Happens in College Stays in College

To: Kris
Hey, how’s home?

I put down the phone and pick up the TV remote control. Nothing’s good now. I finally settle on some shows on interior design when my phone starts vibrating.

From: Kris
Home is sweet. How’s yours?

To: Kris
Not bad. Is the offer still up?

From: Kris
Y
eah, sure. You bringing anybody?

To: Kris
Nope. Just me myself n i. Jongin’s being a jerk and Luhan’s travelling with his bf
U okay with that?

From: Kris
Of cos. Wanna meet up at the house?

To: Kris
Sure. Text me the location. Next Tuesday sounds good?

From: Kris
Totally. See you then

I stand up and walk to the kitchen to find my mom washing the dishes.

“Hey mom. Can I spend some nights with my friend up north? He invited me to his summer house.”

Without turning to face me, she replies, “Your friend? You sure you’re not bothering him?”

“No, mom. He said it’s okay since his family have their own plans and he’s the only one without one. We won’t be doing much, I guess. Just hang out, maybe go fishing or trekking.”

She is finally done with the dishes and turns around, wiping her hands on the apron around her neck. “Well, as long as he’s okay with it and you guys don’t get into trouble.”

“Promise, mom. We’re just gonna keep it low.”

 


 

Turns out the way to the summer house may not be the easiest road I’ve ever been on. But once I get there, the view is breathtaking enough for me to forgive the long 3-hour journey. I slowly approach the house, and from afar I can see Kris’ jeep parked in front of it. There’s no sign of him, however, so I park my car next to his and get out to find him.

“You’re here!”

Oh my god. It has only been two weeks, but Kris is already looking tanned and just, glow.

“Hey man. Thanks for inviting me here.”

“No problem. Come on in. I was just about to start cooking. I didn’t know when you’re arriving, so I just thought of making something simple.”

I get my bag out of the trunk and follow him in. It’s a very nice house, with wooden decorations and furniture all around.

“Fishing your own meal, Kris?” I see two fish on the table top.

“You wish. Come on, I’ll show you the guest room and you can maybe get settled in.”

Following his lead upstairs, I can see that most of the rooms have almost the same motives. Finally getting to the guest room, I find that it’s simple but very cozy.

“Okay. You can unpack your stuff and do whatever, and I’ll get started on the fish. Join me when you’re ready.” With that he turns around and set his way back to the kitchen.

The journey might be long, but I am not really tired out, so after a bit of unpacking and refreshing, I join Kris in the kitchen.

“You need help with anything?”

“I’m almost done. Set the table, maybe?”

We work in silence, save for the sizzling of the fish on the grill. When the fish is done, we get settled to eat.

“This is really nice, Kris. Didn’t know you can cook.”

“Eh, I get by. So, why is Jongin being a jerk?”

It takes me a while to get his question, but when I do I have to stop chewing and start thinking for an acceptable excuse.

“Well, he’s just bitter that he doesn’t get to go to Spain with Kyungsoo.”

He laughs. At least that is believable.

We talk about everything and nothing. Once we’re done, he asks me if I wanted to walk around the perimeter. An immediate yes to that one.

“I’m meeting with some of my old friends in the town. You can come with, if you want.”

“Sure. It’s not like I have anything better to do.”

The walk to town takes about 15 minutes, and I immediately fall in love with it. Being raised in the city with both my parents working, I rarely get the chance to travel to other places. Just by walking through the town, I can see that everybody knows each other and Kris has been stopped a few times by the townsfolk.

“Come on. We’re going to that bar over there.”

Just as we step into the bar, we are greeted by a loud chorus of “Kris!” and I can see people around our age gathering around a table at the corner of the bar.

“Hey guys. How’s it going?”

I get introduced to all his friends and between chatting and drinking, I kind of get a look into a different kind of Kris. Normally in school, Kris is a quiet, smart kid who excels in everything he does and remains calm in every situation. But this, in front of his old peers, he lets loose and lets himself be teased and giving back as good as he gets. He looks more relaxed and it just seems natural for me to stare at this other Kris.

“So, how long are you guys going to be here?”

Taking a swig of his beer, he swallows before replying, “Maybe two to three days. Just taking a break from school and all that crazy stuff.”

One of his friends across the table chirps in, “Make sure to show him around. Don’t just keep him in the house till you leave.” The others laugh at his comment. I turn my gaze to Kris and he looks… flustered?

“Hey now. That only happened once. It’s not our fault it was raining the whole time we were here.” Again, another bout of laughter filled the otherwise silent bar.

Interesting.

We trek our way back after bidding his friends farewell. There is just something that has been bugging me, but I wait until we reach the house before I get it out of my system.

“What happened that ‘one time’?”

He gives me a confused look before it dawns on him. He chuckles, “Oh I was here with someone a couple years back. We were going to spend the weekend here and I was really going to show him around. But somehow it never stopped raining until the day we left, so there really wasn’t much that we did during that time.”

“Is that someone your boyfriend?”

“It was.” It was so silent that I thought I might have stepped a line.

“So, do you usually bring your friends here?”

I wasn’t looking at him when I asked that question, so his silence is not something I expected. I spin around to see if he’s okay, but he just stares at me.

“Kris?”

He startles, then he just smiles as he regains his composure. “No, I’ve never brought anyone else except him.” He pauses. “And you.”

And now it is all coming back to me. All the teasing. The worried texts and caring messages. The hypothesis Jongin and Luhan, even Yixing, have come up with. Is it true?

“Kris.”

I approach him slowly. He still stares at me, with a look I’ve been so blind to see before this. It’s the soft fond look that I’ve never seen him give to anyone else. Except me.

I take his hand. I feel him tense, like he’s on a fight or flight mode. I don’t want him to run, so I call him softly again. All I get back is a soft hum.

“Kris, please push me away if I’m reading this wrong.” I get on my tiptoes and softly brush my lips upon his. Not pushing, but waiting. Hoping.

And I definitely do not get it wrong, as I feel him relaxing into the kiss and moving his lips to fully meet mine. it’s not rushed, just at a perfect speed with just the right amount of want and need.

“Why would I push you away when this is all I’ve been waiting for?”