Chapter 1

What Happens in College Stays in College

Turns out I really am a lost lamb. If it weren't for his help, I would have totally failed the test.

 

Ever since that time, we spend a lot of time together in class, seeing that we have the same schedule and my so-called-bestfriends have decided to ditch the classes (along with me) for something more 'beneficial'. Damn you kids!

 

We can always be found close to each other. I also somehow have gotten myself a living alarm clock. If before knowing Kris I would wake up 5 minutes before class starts, now I would be awoken a good half an hour before class. Oh well. Might as well save some money on alarm clocks.

 

And since Kris knows how hopeless I am with Physics, he has volunteered to help me with each test. And seeing I'm practically hopeless in other subjects as well, I have decided to make full use of his kindness, with promises of lunch and dinner treats, so that he can help me with all of those, too. Lucky for me, Kris is just like any other college students. Give them food for free and they'll be at your service. Nice.

 


 

"You seem close to that tall kid."

 

I look up to see my roommate, one brow up and eyes squinting. I shrug it off.

 

"Who told you to leave me all alone in the class?"

 

"Kyungsoo's there. He told me you ditched him for the giant today. What's up with you?"

 

I blink. Once. Twice.

 

"I didn't see Kyungsoo today. Kris asked me if I wanna have lunch, so I followed him."

 

Luhan crawls closer to me. , he looks like the ghost from that Japanese movie. He stops, nose nearly touching mine.

 

"Did you forget that today's Thursday? Do you know what Thursdays mean?"

 

If it's not for the sudden realization of forgetting my lunch date with Kyungsoo, I would have laughed seeing Luhan's crossed eyes.

 

", I totally forgot. Is he okay? Was he mad? I should call him. I really forgot about that." I took out my phone but before I could even unlock it, Luhan snatches it away from me.

 

"Nope. You're going to his room and apologize. Bring him something, too. Preferably ice cream. He looked so down and I can't bear watching him like that. I called Jongin, he said Kyungsoo haven't gotten out of bed since this afternoon. Now go and fix it."

 

I try to say something, but being Luhan's roommate, I know there's no use arguing with this cute male. I swallow hard, grab my wallet and make my way to the nearby shop to buy cotton candy ice cream as a peace offering to Kyungsoo.

 

Sigh. How can I forget about my lunch date with Kyungsoo? We've been doing that for more than one semester. Never missing one date. It's agreed upon us to make Thursday lunchtime as our weekly lunch date since we have completely different schedules, so it's hard for us to meet for lunch. Usually, Kyungsoo would wait for me to finish class before we go off to eat, but somehow I missed seeing him today. Sigh. I feel like a jerk for ditching Kyungsoo.

 

I pay for the cotton candy ice cream and make my way towards Kyungsoo's room. I've known him since high school, and it's hard to put a label on our relationship. We care for each other like how brothers would, but at times there are moments when we would flirt with each other. Good thing we have never crossed any lines.

 

I am lost in thoughts when I hear someone calling my name. I turn around, just to see Kris walking towards me.

 

"Hey Suho. Where are you going?"

 

"Hey. I'm going to my friend's room. Where are you heading to?"

 

"Actually, I was looking for you. I tried calling your phone, but you didn't pick up. I was about to go to your room, but then I see you here."

 

I raise a brow. "I don't have my phone with me. My roommate took it and I don't know where he puts it. Why did you call? You need something?"

 

He shakes his head. "I just want to ask you if you wanna grab some quick dinner."

 

Oh. "I'm sorry, Kris. I need to get to my friend. I kinda messed up today, and I don't want him to kick my if he sees his baby all melted." I lift the plastic bag in my left hand to show him the tub of ice cream.

 

He chuckles and nods. "That's fine, then. We'll go next time. Text me when you're back, okay?" With that he ruffles my hair and walks away. Sigh. He's treating me like a kid again.

 

I finally arrive in front of Kyungsoo and Jongin's room. I knock a few times and to my dismay, it isn't Kyungsoo who answers it. I've had enough with Luhan and I don't want to deal with Jongin. If Luhan is naggy, Jongin is worse. His stare and glare are nothing but accusing. I know I messed up. I don't need to be reminded of it like a hundred times.

 

"He's in his room. You better make this right."

 

Gulp.

 

I knock softly on the door to Kyungsoo's room. Getting no answer, I turn the knob and push it to peek inside, only to see a small lump on the bed covered thickly with blankets. I let out a small sigh and walk towards the side of his bed. I know he's aware of my presence.

 

"Kyungsoo."

 

No move.

 

I put the ice cream on his desk before calling out his name again.

 

"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry I forgot about our lunch date today. I know it's my fault, but forgive me, please?"

 

Slight shift. And shivers. Wait, are those sobbing I hear?

 

I slowly sit myself on the bed next to the bundle of blanket and wrap my arms around it. "Kyungsoo, baby. I'm really, really sorry about today. I totally forgot about it. I didn't even realize it's Thursday today. Forgive me."

 

It takes a lot more cooing and sorry's from me before he stops shaking, but I can still hear a few sniffles. And slowly a tuft of brown hair makes it peek from under the blankets.

 

"You don't want to do this anymore? That's why you left with Kris? You don't wanna hang out with me?" His voice is so soft and I know he's trying hard not to cry again.

 

"No, baby. That wasn't why I left. I forgot that today's Thursday."

 

Big brown eyes staring at me from under the blanket. How I wish we're not in this situation right now. He's just too cute.

 

"You forgot? You forgot about me?"

 

I gape like a fish. .

 

"I know you have Kris. He's cool, he's a genius, he's kind. I know I have nothing for you. I know I've been clinging onto you ever since high school. I know you must be tired of me. I'm sorry." His voice gets smaller and a sob is heard at the end of it.

 

I try my best to remain calm. I pull the sheets gently to reveal his small, slightly reddened face and cup his tear-stained cheeks. I look straight into his puffy eyes.

 

"Kyungsoo, you know how much I love you. All the things I've done for you, never once have I regretted it. I don't care how many people we would meet in the future and how many of them we would call friends. You would always be my number one, my priority. You are my best friend, Kyungsoo."

 

"You're not replacing me with Kris?"

 

I couldn't hide my laughter. "Of course not. Why would I replace you with him? Who would cuddle with me during those scary movie nights with Luhan, or bake me cookies, or save me from Jongin's kick when I mess up? Nobody can take your place."

 

I his hair to calm him, leaving him some time to absorb all the words I've said. I don't know how long we stayed that way, but when I open my eyes I see his arms around my waist and his head on my chest. We must have fallen asleep like that. I look at the digital clock on Kyungsoo's desk and there's a big, red 6:30 glaring at me. Luckily my class won't start till 9:00 and I know Kyungsoo's class starts at 8:00. I look at the forgotten tub of ice cream next to the clock. Ah, it must have all melted and I don't think refreezing it would do it any good.

 

I let my eyes close again and drift back to sleep. Not long after that, I hear Kyungsoo's voice calling me.

 

"Hey Suho. I'm going to class now."

 

I rub my eyes, getting the crusty layers off my skin and get out of bed. I follow Kyungsoo out of his room and I am greeted by an intense stare from nobody other than Jongin.

 

"You're lucky it's still early and I'm too lazy to move, or else."

 

I just shrug it off and make my way back to my room.

 

By the time I reach my room, Luhan is already making his way to bed from a whole night of gaming. He stares at me, expressions absent from his face.

 

"Jongin kicked you?"

 

"Almost."

 

"You're lucky. I would've kicked you myself if you do this again." With that, he closes the door to his room, leaving me alone in the living room.

 


 

I arrive at class earlier than I usually would. Sitting at my usual place, I lean forward so that my head rests on the desk. That is until a deep voice greets me.

 

"You're early."

 

I lift up my head and see him taking his place next to me.

 

"Is everything okay? You didn't text me last night, so I thought something had happened."

 

I look at him. He waited for my text? "Sorry Kris. I didn't get back to my room till this morning. Come to think of it, I still don't get my phone back." I pat the pockets of my pants. Yup, no phone.

 

He just nods. "That's fine." We stop talking when our lecturer slams the door close indicating the start of the class.

 

3 hours later, we're finally done with the last class of the day and it's lunchtime.

 

"So, where do you wanna get lunch today?"

 

I zip up my bag and before I could reply him, there's a tug on my sleeve. Turning around, I see Kyungsoo with a big smile on his face and behind him is Mr. I'm-not-impressed Jongin.

 

"Hey Suho. You're ready?"

 

Oh yeah. Right before I left their room this morning, I've promised them to have lunch together and watch the new movie afterwards.

 

"Yeah. Give me a second." I turn back to Kris. "I've promised them to lunch and movie today. You can join us if you want." At that I hear a snort, obviously coming from Jongin.

 

He looks uncomfortable and just shakes his head. "Maybe next time. I'll just ask Chen if he wants to have lunch with me. Anyway, enjoy the movie. I'll see you later." With that he turns around and walks towards the exit.

 

I am in a state of confusion, because if my eyes weren't tricking me, I swear I saw his face fell and his shoulders slumped a bit when he walks away.

 

Just like a kicked overgrown puppy.