Chapter 1

Recalculating...

It was becoming dangerous really.  It was probably always a physical danger, but now, it's become evidence of something far more worrisome.

"Turn left after 200 yards" and "Turn right after 200 yards"

Then... "Continue straight for 3 miles" and "Recalculating..."

Simultaneously, divergent driving directions were being thrown at him.  One from the built in GPS system, the other from his cell phone.  

Sometimes he got confused, which voice was he supposed to follow?  One told him to merge on to the highway while the other told him to stay on his current path.

For four years, the voice from his car had given him directions to 33 Darcy Street.  At all times, from wherever he was, in one way or another, he was headed there.  His one True North.  

He still remembers the first time he entered that address in the GPS.  Despite living in the city for his whole life, he still needed assistance getting around while he was in the car.  He knew where he was going, he just didn't know where he was going.  His reliance on the tool had become a joke between all of them, but he didn't mind, at least he was finally driving on his own.

They were coming back from a date, late at night, and Daesung had claimed he was too tired to think, let alone navigate for Seunghyun.  So, they entered Daesung's address, and he dutifully followed the voice as Daesung lightly snored in the seat next to him, his hand resting on Seunghyun's thigh.

Two days later, Seunghyun keyed in the address again, only to find that it had been bookmarked with a bright yellow star to mark the spot - Daesungie's.  How fitting, he had thought, a star to indicate where his very own angel lives.

It very quickly became the most commonly used destination in his car.  Even though he began to recognize his way around that neighborhood, he still used the GPS every time, whether Daesung was in the car with him or not.  He loved that it announced that he had arrived at Daesungie's, that he had reached his goal.  

Because that's how he really thought of it.  He had it all, the moment Daesung had accepted him.  As long as he could find his way back here at the end of the day, he was content.

And he still remembers the last time he had chosen the address.  That frantic call from Youngbae.  

"Hyung!  Get over here now. I don't know what's happening.  He's clutching his head.  We were just sitting here talking.  Then all of a sudden, I don't know.  I've called  911.  Hurry, hyung, please!"  Youngbae hadn't hung up the phone, but those were the last words spoken.  All Seunghyun could hear was muffled pleading, crying and noises as he raced there.  He pulled up to the building just as the ambulance was driving off.  He followed it immediately, without ever turning the car off.

The entire drive to the hospital, the GPS voiced directions to Daesungie's - it would be the first time he would hear "Recalculating..." multiple times and not turn the car around.  

...