Underestimated

Altered

     Sehun’s weapon of choice was obvious to him, regardless of his lack of memories. He knew his opponent was called Luhan, though he didn’t know who Luhan was. The voice told him that Luhan would be with him soon. He knew he was going to have to defeat his opponent, yet he didn’t know why he had to do it. When he asked the mysterious voice whose owner remained unknown for answers, he was greeted with only anger. “How dare you question me? I give you a home, and a purpose, yet you treat me like this!” Sehun wasn’t the type to be easily deterred, however, and kept pushing him for answers. The only answer he received that time was a hurried whisper of “Shut up! Quickly, grab your weapon! Your opponent is arriving.” Sehun hesitated, tempted to refuse to do as he was told until he was given answers, but picked up the knife anyway when he saw his opponent manifest in front of him with a scythe in his hands.

     “You must be my opponent, I suppose.” He snarled, trying to act unfazed by his enemy; it wasn’t the massive blade of the scythe that bothered him – no, he didn’t care at all about that – it was Luhan’s childish, yet pretty good-looks that had the potential to melt his icy heart. He wasn’t about to let that happen, though. He stopped himself from allowing his gaze to soften and continued to glare at his adversary, shifting himself into a fighting position.

     Luhan, on the other hand, was swinging his blade around carelessly, not even bothering to look at Sehun. Eventually, and without stopping his casual movements, he gazed up at Sehun’s face and giggled “You must be Sehun, right? I’m Luhan.”

     “This.” Sehun growled, angry that his opponent was acting like a child. “This thing. This child. This is my opponent? This is who I’m going to kill?”

     His enemy halted his movements then and glowered at him. “Correction,” he said gleefully. “I’m who you’re going to try to kill. Just remember who has the more dangerous weapon.” Sehun was undoubtedly shocked at the annoyance present in Luhan’s voice and the infuriated look in his eyes, but those two surprising factors vanished just as suddenly as they’d appeared and Luhan was left looking like a child again, giggling and staring at his scythe with curiosity.

     Then the voice spoke for the first time since Luhan had arrived. “As you can see, Sehun, his emotions can change extremely quickly. Heed my warning, child, do not underestimate this one. Do not be taken in by his supposed immaturity.”

     Sehun rolled his eyes in response, not even sure if the owner of the voice could see him (though he assumed it could). “Whatever.”

     “Well then, you may begin, children.”

     Much to Sehun’s dismay, Luhan didn’t appear to be ready for a heated battle; in fact, he wasn’t even looking in Sehun’s direction, leaving him completely open for attack. That was Sehun’s mistake. Like Baekhyun had done during his battle with Chanyeol, Sehun came to the conclusion that the best way to tackle his foe was to disarm him. Because of this, he failed to examine the situation thoroughly. Without thinking carefully, he took off and launched himself at Luhan – who was standing with his back to Sehun – and raised his dagger, aiming to stab his rival in his left hand (which was holding the scythe). Faster than a bolt of lightning, and without turning to look at Sehun, Luhan swung his scythe backwards so that the blade of Sehun’s knife collided with the blade of the scythe, consequently knocking the dagger’s owner off balance. To say that Sehun was stunned would be a huge understatement. He staggered backwards until he regained his balance. Luhan still hadn’t moved from his spot. It was as if his feet were rooted to the ground. Sehun could see that Luhan wasn’t going to attack, only defend. But it’s impossible to win with just defence.

     His earlier failure caused Sehun to think carefully about his next offense. At least he knew now how fast Luhan was, and he thought he would be able to match his speed. He considered aiming for Luhan’s legs, but dismissed that idea when he remembered the size of the scythe’s blade: it would be too easy for his competitor to swing his weapon at him and decapitate him if he got close again. In order to have a chance at winning, he needed to think of a way to attack without getting too close.

     Throwing. Throwing the dagger was an option – perhaps the only option. The downside of that was that he only had one chance. After one throw he’d be disarmed; if he failed to defeat Luhan with the first throw, he would likely not have another chance.

     The next question was where to aim. He had to aim for a vital point, so that one blow would kill him or at least stop him from being able to attack and/or defend, so aiming for his leg, foot, arm, or hand was useless. The heart was an obvious choice, but he would have had to move round so that he was facing Luhan (unless Luhan turned around) – besides, judging by the position of the scythe his heart was already being protected. The only option left was rather a good one: the neck (or in this case, the back of the neck).

     And so, concentrating hard on the back of Luhan’s neck, Sehun hurled his dagger at the point on Sehun’s body he’d chosen to focus on… only for its handle to be caught in Luhan’s right hand merely a fraction of a second before it was due to collide with his flesh. “Bad move. I suppose it’s my turn now.” Luhan’s voice was calm yet barely more than a whisper – making it even more eerie than the mysterious voice with an unknown owner. It was too dark for Sehun to see the wall he backed into in attempt to get away from Luhan as advanced. He was now completely disarmed. He didn’t give up though. He tried to dodge as Luhan sliced at him. It didn’t work. He was in immense pain for a split second – then: nothing. His head was no longer attached to his body. Blood gushed out of his neck where his head used to be. And that was the end of it. Luhan had won and had expected no less. “Weakling.” He smirked.

     “Just as I expected, child. You have outdone yourself. Your next battle will begin tomorrow. For now, you must rest.”

     “Tomorrow? I have to wait that long?”

     “Don’t be so impatient. Go back to your own darkness. Rest.” Luhan did as he was told and disappeared from the area of darkness that Sehun resided in (if only for a few minutes) leaving behind a separated body and head on the dampened floor.