Troublemaker

The Figment of My Imagination, Lee Taemin

"Good morning, Princess Minzy!" A familiar voice called out to her from reality as she dreamt. Soft caresses traveled around her face, causing the young woman's body to naturally snuggle into the hand that massaged her face. 

Sunlight from her window engulfed the pair in light, creating an angelic atmosphere about them. The blinds had been open slightly to allow small ripples of sunlight to come through. Pillows, that had fallen from her bed during her slumber, laid on the floor as if to look abused. If it weren't for the pillows on the floor, the room would have looked as if it hadn't been used thanks to the maids' skillful cleaning. The pictures of Minzy's family were plastered on the walls, raw, without frames, giving a casual feel to the room. 

"Minzy-ah," the sound of her nickname came again still as gentle as it came the first time yet the voice was loud enough to show that it belonged to a man. 

With a groan, the nineteen year old finally opened her eyes to find a figure sitting on her bed beside her. Her eyes were blurred from the sunlight that shone behind the person's back before her sight finally focused on the one who awakened her. He had dark brown hair that just always seemed matted in the perfectly right way, dark and gentle eyes that seemed to welcome her from her sleep, and a smile on his face that seemed to create an even more angelic atmosphere.

It was Lee, Tae Min and she had finally snapped out of her dreamy state of mind.

"You? Get out of my room and let me go back to sleep!" With the push of her hands, the boy landed on his on the floor while Minzy had retreated back to the safe and warm covers of her bed. 

Tae Min stood up and shook the girl's arm, saying, "Come on Minzy! Wake up!"

"I don't want to!" She replied in a muffled, if not lazy, voice, "You're supposed to call me Min Ji-sshi too..."

"Minzy we've already been through this, and all the maids have already tried to wake you up!" There was a growing concern in his voice.

With a groan, she peaked at him with irritation from underneath her blanket. "What is it?" 

"Your brother with his sister-complex is on his way here."

"And? Oppa won't care if I'm still sleeping."

"He's bringing your big shot uncle Choi Seung Hyun with him so that all three of you can have a little tea party!" Tae Min was at the edge of his voice, almost screaming, yet adding a bit of sarcasm to the end of his sentence. 

"Bwoh?" The covers flew off at once, revealing the black sweatpants and oversized shirt that she'd worn the night before. Minzy jumped to her feet and walked immediately to her walk in closet. "Why didn't you tell me that part first? Would this seem appropriate?"

Tae Min let out a sigh, "I'm your body guard, not your stylist," he looked at the business suit that hung from a hanger Minzy held with an outstretched arm, "But that does seem a bit too formal."

For the next fifteen minutes, Minzy and Tae Min frantically tried to find the best thing to wear before their guests arrived. The scene nearly made it seem as if they had known each other for years, when really, rather it was a moment of their childhood fourteen years ago.

 

"Hey!" A small voice called out to her from above. Yet all that was in front of her was the Wall that surrounded her family's estate. It had been built of stone, towering over the little Minzy. They had told her it was supposed to protect her from all the big bad scary men and monsters from outside the house.

It was a warm day in July, the grass had recently been mowed and Minzy was alone in her big back yard surrounded by a play ground, a pool, and a picnic table. 

"No! Not in front of you, I said 'look up'!" 

Up? But no one was supposed to ever get over the wall... right?

Slowly, she tilted her head up to find a little boy sitting on the top of the wall. "Who are you?" She asked, dumbfounded by his presence. The little girl had never interacted with anyone other than her relatives, all of which were either much older children or adults; there were no children that were even close to the five year old. Even though Ji Yong-oppa, who was older by six years, would try to play with her, Minzy would grow bored of him, longing for someone that was nearer to her age.

"I'm Taemin!" The boy rushed out the syllables of his name, making it sound like one. His hair was black back then and his face was rounder.

"Tae Min?" She sounded out his name, as if to say it the correct way. 

"No! It's Taemin! Not 'Tae Min'." 

"Oh okay."

"What's your name? That's not fair if you know mine and I don't know yours!" He demanded. 

"Uh... Min Ji!" She called out, her voice was gentle and sounded unused to yelling. 

"Minzy?!" 

"No! Min Ji!" She cried out impatiently.

"I can't hear you, Minzy! Let me climb down!!" Was that even allowed? Was he a big bad man that came to get her? But he wasn't even big! Was he a monster that was going to eat her? Taemin looked like too harmless to even hurt her. Unless he was undercover as a little kid. Min Ji pondered about it for quite a while. She hadn't even reached a decision yet when a hand was waving her face and Taemin was right in front of her. 

"Are you a monster?" There wasn't a trace of humor in her face. Her gaze towards him was dead set on finding out the answer to her question.

"Bwoh? A monster? I'm only six!" Deeply hurt and offended, Taemin frowned and, if he had more skin, there would have been wrinkles on his forehead to support his confused expression. 

"So... you are not a monster." She let out a sigh of relief. 

"You wanna play a game?" A smile replaced his frown and his offended expression vanished, looking as if they had never had the conversation of debating if he was or wasn't a monster. 

Well he wasn't a monster... "Okay! Let's play hide and seek! I'll hide-"

"No! I'll hide!"

"But I wanna hide!" 

The two squabbled for quite some time before it was decided that Minzy would be the one to hide since it was her house after all. 

For the next few months, Minzy allowed Taemin's nickname to grow on her and the two played whenever Minzy was outside in her backyard alone. During those days, Minzy found out what trees Taemin used to climb over the wall and what it was like outside her house and the wall. They even celebrated each others' birthdays together, sharing a steak because Taemin preferred steak over a cake. On Minzy's birthday, the two shared a roll cake, which Minzy ate more of because it was her favorite food.

But by the end of September, when the leaves started to change color, Taemin stopped coming by. Days would go by when Minzy would stand in front of the wall where the two usually met until a maid would call her in because it was getting dark. Day after day, it would be Minzy calling out to a wall, being led on by squirrels that made rustling sounds as they climbed up the wall.

It wasn't until the beginning of October when she finally stopped trying to find Taemin.  

Looking back, as she grew older, Minzy came to believe he was just her imaginary friend that many children would have when they were lonely. She figured it was out of loneliness that she created this boy who was the sole opposite of her, she probably wanted to make him as real as possible to her childhood self so that she would drive off her loneliness then.