Chapter 4

Love and War [HIATUS]

“Bora, you don’t have any classes today right? Let’s go shopping neh?”

I laughed into the phone. “Okay, that is if you pay for my lunch.”

“Fine. We’ll meet you near Nam San Tower in 30 minutes.”

Soyou hung up before I could ask about the we part. We? Does that mean Minho is coming along? Aish why do I sound so hopeful and disappointed at the same time.”

30 minutes later, I stood waiting near the beautiful and soaring Nam San Tower. I was marveled by one of South Korea’s famous landmark. I remember last time I was here was when was 10 years ago and Woohyun took me. We both wandered around Seoul on our own adventure. Although it was dangerous for young kids their age to be wandering around without an adult, we still did it anyway because the Seoul we grew up in was safe. Woohyun and I would always walk around the streets and talk and bond like the close siblings we are now. Lately, Woohyun has been busy and didn’t have much free time to spend with me.

“Oh! Bora!”

At the sound of my name, I whipped around to see my two twin friends, Lee Soyou and Lee Minho. I smiled and waved them over. Minho’s face immediately lit up and didn’t show any regret of allowing his sister to drag him to Seoul to shop. Soyou was, of course, cheerful and rushed over to me.

“How are you? Minho told me about those men who chased you guys.”

“Oh he did?” I gave Minho a look but quickly focused back on Soyou. “Don’t worry about it Soyou. We’re fine.”

“So do you know why?” Minho asked me as he finally caught up to us.

I shook my head. “No,” I lied. I didn’t want to burden my friends with my personal information. For now, they should remain lighthearted and cheery. “Enough about that now,” I said quickly before Minho can ask anymore questions, “Let’s go eat. I’ve been waiting for 10 minutes for you guys, so you definitely owe me my lunch.”

We began their trip and started walking around and found a restaurant. Minho and Soyou took the liberty to talk about their childhood together while we waited for our food. Minho shared the time where he pranked his sister by letting five frogs jump around her room, and Soyou took her vengeance by putting makeup on Minho’s face while he was asleep. The twins had traveled all over the world when they were young and they still do travel. Minho talked about their trip to Vietnam one year and how he caught Soyou making out with a Vietnamese boy. Soyou expressed her enthusiasm when she recalled memories of playing games and sports with her parents and how she always won over Minho in badminton.

I listened to the twin’s stories and envied them greatly. When I was growing up, I didn’t have anything they described. I was always dealing with my mother and schoolwork until I was of legal age to work. Then o dealt with mother’s illness, father’s absence, school, and work. I had and still have a hard life, but I was always determined to heal Mother and remained positive. The only joyful part of my life was my brother, Woohyun, and my few friends at school.

"So in the end, Minho failed and was forced to buy whatever I while we went shopping in London," Soyou concluded, "Enough about us now. What about you Bora? What was your childhood like?"

I became stiff and a bit uncomfortable being in the spotlight of the rich twins. "It's hard to talk about," I evaded, "I'd rather not go down that road right now. Sorry."

"Hey it's okay, we're not gonna force you. If you ever want to tell us, then our ears are open and ready," Minho assured. And you should tell me first before anyone else. Minho smirked at his own selfish thought.

I flashed him a smile. "Thanks."

Ring ring ring.

Everyone at the table paused at the sound of Soyou's phone going off. Soyou looked grim as she pulled it out of her pocket and answered. Minho and I waited anxiously, and when Soyou hung up looking pissed and exasperated, our suspicions were confirmed.

"I'm so sorry guys," she apologized, "I have some impromptu business I must attend to."

"But Soyou.." My voice faded away.

She gave us an apologetic look. "I'm sorry again. You two have fun okay?" Soyou turned around and left just like the last time she invited me to do something. When she was out of sight, Minho turned to me, asking me a question through his eyes.

"Are you done eating?"

He shook his head.

"Hurry up slow poke! I don't wanna waste a beautiful day sitting here watching you eat," I said playfully in attempt to light up the mood.

Minho smiled and quickly finished. Together, we paid the bill and walked out of the restaurant. Being a woman, I was instantly attracted to the stores all around me. Minho followed me in every direction I went. He helped me pick out some clothes in one store, and while he was waiting outside of the fitting room, his thoughts led to many different things.

This feels so weird but I like it. Why do I like it? Why should I like it. Aish. What's wrong with me? I feel all giddy inside just waiting for her.

"How do I look?"

Minho washed away his questioning thoughts and examined me from head to toe and toe to head. He must've thought I looked stunning in  the simple midnight blue party dress. It flowed down and stopped mid thighs. And of course being a 21 year old male, he couldn't help but focus on how the dress hugged my s, but he didn't stare for long because Minho didn't want me to think he was a ert. (All though we all think that now anyway...)

"You look like a perfect angel ready to go to a nightclub," Minho complimented.

I blushed and hid my face, to which he found it cute. "Thanks," I mumbled. "I'll go change out of this."

I could tell Minho wanted me to wait just so he could stare (at me and my s. **) a little bit longer, but instead, he nodded silently and waved me away, waiting again until I came back out in my regular clothes. When I had all of the clothes I wanted, Minho took them away from me and quickly walked to the counter to pay.

"Hey wait!" I yelled.

He looked back with a smirk. "Usually people would let the other person pay." Minho continued on and paid for my stuff.

And despite my protesting, I lost to him every single time I wanted something from a store, and I felt extremely guilty but happy about it every single time it happened. And on top of that, Minho also bought some stuff for himself so that just added to the bill.

"Yah! You're not made out of money!" Bora yelled at him as they walked out of the store with numerous shopping bags. "You didn't have to buy everything I wanted," she said, this time lowering her voice some.

Minho smirked. "A simple thank you would've been enough, but instead, I get scolded. Does that make sense?" Bora was about to fight back, but he cut her off before she had the chance. "I didn't have to buy you everything but I just wanted to and I do what I want. Now in return, I'll let you pay for dinner."

Bora's expression became a little bit lighter. "Who said I was going to eat dinner with you?" she joked.

 

~~~

 

"Sir, here is the profile of the girl you requested. We have also found transactions on your son's card for items females would normally buy."

The CEO opened the folder that was placed on his desk.

 

PROFILE OF JUNG BORA

Full Name:

Jung Bora

Date of Birth:

April 28

Age:

21 years old

Profession:

Works at music store.

Family:

Jung Kibum - Father

Jung Eunhye - Mother

Jung Woohyun - Brother

 

Minho's father leaned back in his chair, putting his hand together.

"What would you like to do, sajangnim?" Secretary Choi asked.

The CEO took a deep breath and let it out before answering. "Pay the manager of the music store Miss Jung works at to get her fired. Then we'll hire her at the house as a maid."

"Sir, are you sure about this? I thought you would separate them instead of putting them together."

"I see what you're saying, but I plan to let them see the restrictions of their relationship growing for themselves."

"If you are sure about this," The secretary hesitated before going on, "Then I will have that arranged."

 

~~~

 

“Bora, you’ve a very hardworking woman and became one of our best workers. But I’m sorry to say that… I must fire you.”

“What?” The shock filled my mind as I tried to process what my boss was saying. “B-But why? Please, sir, I need this job! Please don’t do this.”

The manager gave me a very apologetic look. “I must do this Bora. I hate to see you go.” He bowed his head down, looking helpless. “Please pack any stuff you left here and leave immediately.”

“But. Wait, no! This…”

“Go,” He said firmly, and I had no choice but to leave. All of my coworkers all patted me on the back and said comforting words. They said their sorry goodbyes and even tried to cheer me up with playful attitudes, but it all never worked. I just lost another job that was supposed to help Mom. However, with no income, how was I supposed to do that?

Depressed, I decided to walk around outside, looking into the stores that could offer a job.

Time to start over… again.

And the answer came to me as if someone knew I was fired ten minutes ago.

Because they did.

“Who are we suppose to hire now?” One man in a suit said to the other man standing next to him at the crosswalk. I unconsciously overheard their conversation.

“I don’t know. Master wanted a woman in her 20s and who is intelligent.”

I’m young and intelligent.

“And a hard worker and responsible.”

I’m a hard worker and responsible.

“I don’t know. Maybe she’ll come up to us instead,” he sighed.

Of course, I didn't know that Secretary Choi was watching nearby at the time. He planned it all to happen and was glad his two men were also good actors. In his point of view, he assumed everything was going as planned and I remained oblivious.

“Excuse me, sir,” I interrupted the men, “I accidentally overheard your conversation. What job is it that you need a young woman, like myself, who is intelligent, hard working, and responsible?”

Man number 1 smiled at Bora. “Are you interested in becoming a house maid?”

Anything right now. “Yes.”

“Great! We’ll interview you tomorrow at 12 P.M. at this Starbucks.” Man number 2 pointed to the café diagonally behind them.

 

~~~

 

I stepped out of the car and my eyes immediately landed on the familiar estate.

This... can't possible be.

Hesitantly, I followed Secretary Choi when he started towards the house.

Of course, I had to accept this job. Of course, he had to own this house. Of course, we had to see more of each other.

Of course, this means personal attachments.

“It’s nice to have you here, Miss Jung. Since house maids can be called at unexpected times, we need the maids to be close, so we provide a room for the maid. If you will follow me this way please.”

I followed behind Secretary Choi through the mansion. Every step I took was with caution. I was wearily on the look out for him and was scared that he may just pop up behind me.

“This is what we call the Maids' Hall for obvious reasons. All of our maids stay in a room here," Secretary Choi informed, "Your room, Miss Jung, will be at the end of the hall to your right.”

I bowed. "Thank you."

"The other maids will help you out and teach you the ways around here," he stated, "If you'll excuse me, I have to attend some important business. I wish you the best of luck Miss Jung. Have a good day."

I bowed to him again as he left me alone. Turning around, I walked down the hall and slowly opened the door to the room. It was very basic with a bed, closet, and dresser. Despite the emptiness, it was quite a spacious room but not too big. It was larger than my room back at the apartment at least.

I smiled, stepped back, and took a picture of the whole room with my phone, forgetting my worries of running into him. Quickly, I attached the photo to a text message and sent it to Woohyun.

To Woohyunie Oppa

  Oppa, I got a new job as a housemaid and it has a great pay! I'll be able to help more now! But it requires me to stay in a room in the house, so I guess I'll be moving out :"(

    - 2:47 P.M.

From Woohyunie Oppa

  That's great sis! I'll be sad too, but just make sure you visit home once in a while. Your handsome oppa will be too lonely if you don't :) I'll help you move out soon. Don't forget me Bora-yah! ^ ~ ^

    -2:51 P.M.

I smiled seeing my brother's reply. I felt happy yet sad at the same time. How could I leave Woohyun by himself? What will happen when Mother comes home and becomes ballistic again? I could only wish for Woohyun to be careful and safe and happy. I tried to comfort myself by saying that Woohyun was a strong man and could withstand anything.

I'm sorry I have to leave oppa, but I promise you I'll come home often.

 

~~~

 

"You called for me?"

"Yes, now sit down."

Minho took a seat in front of his father's desk and waited. The powerful CEO intertwined his fingers together and gave his son the typical, cold business look.

"Lee Minho, as the heir of Lee Corporations, we need to expand and secure our partnerships. I recently meet up with the president of Han A&A. She has a daughter your age and we have negotiated on business terms. We have both agreed to seal and strengthen our partnership with Han Apparel and Accessories. Therefore, you will take Rachel Han from Han A&A as your bride.."

"What?!" Minho couldn't believe his ears. "You got me into an engagement behind my back? I don't want to get married at 21! I'm suppose to live life freely!"

CEO Lee kept his voice calm but strained from the anger hidden behind it. "You are 21 so shouldn't you know by now that you as a heir don't live freely as you wish? You will go through with this marriage."

"But-"

CEO Lee waved his hand. "Take him out of my office." The guards had no choice but to Minho out of the room, leaving him deep in thought and rage.

"An arranged marriage? Kiss my . I'd never agree to that when I haven't even met her," he muttered to himself.

Minho stomped to the kitchen to get some water. When he opened the door to walk in, he noticed someone was leaving at the same time. Minho saw the back of her figure but didn't put much thought into it. Then again, Minho was never informed that Jung Bora, the same girl who spilled ramen on him, was living and working under the same roof as him.

Ha. He would never have thought about that. Ha ha ha. Just wait until Lee Minho finds that out.
 
~ ~ ~ A/N ~ ~ ~
~Happy Lunar New Years everybody! Celebrate this the Vietnamese way! :D
~Just a heads up, I'll probably make Love and War around 2o chapters. PROBABLY!
~Like always, feel free to put any compliments, complaints, and/or criticisms in the comments below, on my wall, or PM me. Thanks.
~January 31, 2014 7:47 P.M.