Chapter 3

Love and War [HIATUS]

"What happened to you?"

At the sound of his voice I stirred. I wiggled around, which caught his attention. I mumbled something incoherent and rolled onto my side, wanting to fall back asleep again on this soft, feathery bed. He sighed and couldn't resist the urge to my silky hair. Surprised, I slowly opened my eyes and there he was, dangerously close to my face. My eyes widen in shock and I scooted back away from him. He smirked and playfully flicked my head.

"Now you decide to get up."

I looked around at my surrounding and noticed I was in Lee Minho's room. "What happened to me?"

"Well you were dead tired yesterday . I saw you walking home after school and you suddenly fainted, so I managed to catch you and brought you home to my place. That's how you woke up on my bed."

I soaked in every word he said like a sponge. So I fainted and he took me home to his place.

"Okay well thanks for everything. I guess I'll go now."

I slowly stood up but Minho gripped my wrist and pulled me back down onto the bed again. I gasped slightly and stared at him.

"Don't go yet."

I looked back, shocked at his request. "Bwuh?"

"Don't.."

He inched closer to me, only focusing on my full lips.

"Go..."

Inch by inch.

"Yet."

And his face was so close. Minho's breath was warm and sweet on my lips. His gaze pierced straight through my eyes and made me melt. His hand traveled up to my neck and rested there. I should've pulled back, but my mind wanted something else. And he stayed there frozen and silent, only staring and not going any further.

I stayed silent too. I can't kiss him. I can't be his. I can't fall in love. I can't because I had to care for someone else, someone who is sick and needs help. Then I have to fix my own life and put myself on the right track. I can’t do this.

I sighed and finally willed myself to pull away from him. I got up off of the bed and started towards the door. "I have to go."

And when I walked out, I was grateful yet disappointed that he didn't come out to stop me from leaving. I walked home deep in thought, staring at the sky. Was I really expecting him to run after me? We only met a few days ago. It's not like I'm his girlfriend.

Aish, why am I worrying about this?


 

"Ah!"

I suddenly fell forward and landed on the hard ground. Still shocked, I look up to see a familiar face.

"See what happens if you don't watch where you're going?"

He bent down and stared at me with an arrogant smirk.

"Why did you trip me?"

"Hmmm." Woobin looked around as if thinking of an answer. "I wonder why? Ah, I know!" He leaned in closer to me. "So when you fall, you'll see who will be there for you, which will be me."

His words left me baffled. What did he mean? What game is he playing? What are you doing Kim Woobin?

He stood up and looked down at me. Woobin held out his hand. "Get up."

I took his hand. He actually helped me up this time and waited for me to brush myself off. When he put his hand on my arm, I jerked away and glared at him. His eyes were fiery with a new kind of emotion. His eyes traveled away from mine, and I was about to turn around to see where his attention went. Suddenly, Woobin pulled me towards him and put his arm around my waist. I gasped and stood frozen. Coming back to my senses, I began to resist and pull away.

"Yah! What are you doing?!"

Woobin quickly spun me around but kept his hold on my waist. And I finally saw the motivation for his actions.

In front of us was Lee Minho, standing there calm but with hidden anger all over his face.

My eyes widen and I finally found the strength to push Woobin away. I got in the middle of them and looked at both men to stop anything from rising.

"You two are really something..." I took one last breath, looked straight forward, and willed myself to leave them behind.

 

~~~

 

"Bora, are you sure nothing happened?"

"I'm sure. Nothing happened."

Minho, who was sitting beside Soyou, gave me a look but kept his mouth shut.

It was the morning of a new day and I had managed to ignore Minho every second I saw him because it’s just so weird to even look at him now since we almost kissed. And God must be looking out for me because I haven't seen Woobin today, but knowing him, he's bound to show up sometime.

"Well I don't know what happened, but you guys can figure this out on your own. I have to go now. Bye guys." Soyou picked up her stuff, waved bye, and left me and Minho at the table outside of the restaurant. We both stared at her until she disappeared from our view. Soyou the savior just walked out on us. What now?

I sighed and swiftly gathered her things, anxious to get out of here. Turning around, I began to walk away from him until his fingers wrapped around my wrist and whipped me back around.

"Yah, where are you going?"

"Away from you," I answered haughtily.

Minho rolled his eyes. "Ah, I figured that out, thanks. But in case you haven't noticed, you ate here which means you need to pay the bill."

Rolling my eyes, I scoffed, "We ate here, not just me. And why do I have to pay?"

"Because I don't want to."

"Well you're rich so you can afford it while I'm a penniless woman so I can't pay."

"You've got to be kidding me."

I shook my head. "Fine. What's the total? You'll pay half and I'll pay half."

"Fine."

We both dug out our wallets and pulled out the money need. Being angry for some odd reason, I blindly slapped the money on the table, not noticing exactly how much money I put down. Minho looked at me and then the money and back at my face again with a mocking smirk. "I think you need to check again, Jung Bora."

Screw him. I'm out of here. And without a word, I indeed ran out of the restaurant.

"Wait up! Hey, I was being serious!"

Minho called after me, but I ignored him and kept walking until someone stepped in my way.

"Excuse me, are you Jung Bora?"

I looked up to see a man in a black suit in front of me. "Yes, this is her," I said slowly, "Is there a problem?"

He didn't answer at all and suddenly grabbed my wrist, dragging me away.

"Yah! Let go!" I exclaimed. "Who are you?"

"Bora?" Minho whispered to himself. He ran after me to help. When he caught up, Minho quickly threw a punch to the man in black holding me down. He let go and glared at Minho, now seeking revenge on the college student.

And the fight continues on. A chaebol* son in a brawl with a suspicious man in black just to protect a girl he met days ago. Does that make sense? To some people, no. But to Lee Minho, it felt right to be my defender.

 

~~~

 

"Are you okay Bora?"

"I'm physically fine if that's what you're asking, but on the inside, I'm confused."

We successfully escaped and hid under a beautiful cherry blossom tree. Minho and I were sitting against the trunk on the fresh green grass, but it won't be long until we're up and moving again. Minho looked to his side and silently stared at me. I could tell he wanted to wipe the confused gaze on my face, but then again, he probably thought it was cute?

"Why were they after you?" He gained the courage to ask me after 10 minutes of silence.

"That's a question I would like to know the answer to too." I sighed and ran my hand through my shiny black hair. Maybe Woohyun would know though...

I had a simple idea and pulled out my phone. I dialed oppa's number, but after failed trials, I gave up and put my phone back in my pocket.

"Yah! You rascals! Go look that way and I'll go this way. Hurry!"

Minho and I both shot our heads up and looked around. The man in black was back and had three more men as backup with him.

"Let's get out of here," Minho said softly. He helped me up, and we sneakily ran away from the four people.

"You know this is kind of fun," I laughed as I ran.

"What? Running away from people who could kidnap you is fun?"

"It's thrilling if you think about it."

Minho scoffed, "You're something Jung Bora."

"You are too."

I gave him a cheeky smile, which made him smile and laugh. And little did he know that smile and laugh would put me in more danger later on.

"Hey, let's go over there." Minho pointed to the spot under a bridge.

I nodded in agreement. We caught our breaths under the stone bridge that was near a pond. The lilies and cherry blossom trees surrounding it made it more eye-catching. This form of nature was elegant and seemed like it popped right out from a dream. I was simply enchanted by the sight of nature's beauty. Minho noticed and smiled at her reaction.

"Wait here okay? I'm going to check where they are," said Minho.

I nodded even though I had no idea what he just said.. I continued to wander around the pond until I felt a strong push from behind her. I lost my footing and fell forward towards the water, but something caught me just in the nick of time. My tightly sealed eyes slowly fluttered open as I realized I didn't feel any water on me. The person who caught me was no other than Kim Woobin, but he was also the one who pushed me. Our bodies were close as a result of him saving me from falling. Woobin stared into my eyes and I looked straight back at him, ready for a challenge. Woobin softly coughed awkwardly and set me down.

"What are you doing here?" I asked angrily.

"I saw you," he replied simply, which made me falter on the inside. "What about you?"

"None of your business. Now, is it really necessary to trip someone as a greeting? Can't you just greet me with a simple hello?"

Woobin scoffed, "That's too boring and unmemorable."

"Fine then. Should I get used to you tripping me? Or throwing me in the water? What else? What about you slapping food in my face?"

"Thanks for the idea."

I crossed my arms. "I really don't get you."

"You're not supposed to."

"Kim Woobin, you're here again to bother Bora?"

We both turned around to see Minho walking coolly towards us. He had this confident, serious, and flaring smirk stamped on his face.

Woobin looked at me. "So he's already your black knight," he mocked.

"Shut up," I said and never took my eyes of Minho. Please get my message. Please.

"I guess you didn't understand the first time," Minho said as he stood in front of Woobin. "Leave."

He narrowed his eyes at Minho. "You don't know what's going on yet you accuse me of bothering her."

"She doesn't look particularly happy anymore."

"Maybe she was just happy acting for you."

I sighed and remembered this exact same scenario from last time unfold before my eyes. Here we go again, I thought.

"Either way, I got a smile, a laugh, and some time with her."

"You think I can't get that?"

"Guys stop." I couldn't take it any longer, watching on the sidelines. "You're both being childish," I said, annoyed at their behavior. Without a glance back, I began to walk away from the two just like last time. They watched me until I was completely out of sight. Then Minho turned to Woobin and shoved him. “Why do you have to appear whenever Bora’s around?” Minho said scornfully.

Woobin recoiled and pushed Minho harder that he almost tripped onto the ground. “It’s my talent.” With that, he turned and walked away from Minho.

 

~~~

 

“How is my son doing?”

“He studies are very slowly going up. It’s not much, but it’s still some progress. But sir, your son and daughter have recently befriended a girl.”

The CEO looked at his employee, surprised but remaining calm. “A girl?”

“Yes sir, however, we do not know much about her.”

“Look into her some more and report back to me tomorrow.”

“Yes Sajangnim*.” The man bowed and left the room.

“What are you planning to do with her?”

The CEO turned to his secretary. “Make Minho aware of his restrictions.”

 

~~~

“Woohyun oppa, there were these men in black suit and they chased after me for something. What did they want?”

“There was what?! Men in black suits?”

I nodded, a little shocked at her brother’s sudden outburst. Woohyun paced around the small living room with his hands behind his back. He kept muttering, “This is not good. Not good at all,” and this began to worry me.

“Oppa what’s going on? Please tell me.”

Woohyun stopped and quickly faced me, gripping my shoulders. He bent down to meet me at eye level. “Those men chased you probably because of dad,” Woohyun said firmly.

My eyes widened. “D-Dad?” I hadn’t seen her father in years and the mention of him ignited a spark anger inside of me.

“You know dad is a big gambler. They were probably sent here to demand payment from his family, which would be us.”

Why would he do that? Because he’s a pathetic man who runs away from his problems and allows other to fix it for him. He’s a weak man who betrayed his family. He is a man who isn’t worthy of our love or help.

“Will they be able to find us?”

“I don’t know,” Woohyun sighed. “But I’m glad you’re safe though.” Woohyun pulled me in for a light hug. “I don’t think living would be much fun if you’re not here.”

“Oppa don’t talk like that,” I muttered against Woohyun’s shirt. “If they come after me again, I’ll just run. You know I’m a fast runner.”

“I know, but you never know.” He kissed the top of my head. ”You never know," Woohyun  whispered.

 

*Chaebol - An heir or heiress of a company.

*Sajangnim - In this case, the pesident or CEO of a company.

 

~ ~ ~ A/N ~ ~ ~

~Do you guys like Love and War so far? Is everything okay? Is the pace too fast or slow? I'd love to see those responses ya know? *Hint Hint*
~Anyway, I wasn't really supposed to update this until later on this week or next week, but I thought what the hell and decided to be nice and post CH 3. :)
~Like always, feel free to put any compliments, complaints, and/or criticisms in the comments below, on my wall, or PM me. Thanks.
~January 15, 2014. 10:10 P.M.