II.

Maybe We Should Stay Like This

II.

"You're late, Agent Huang" said the briefer. He had spent enormous time fixing and observing himself in front of the mirror.

A bad start for a lifetime job, Zitao thought.

"I'm sorry, Agent...." 

"Kim. Kim Junmyeon. May someone teach Agent Huang here the 15 minute rule" Agent Kim said.

Some of the agents snickered. 

Zitao noticed they had the same clothes as him, white stainless polo with a golden plate logo of the SAO - Seoul's Secret Agents Organization - on their shoulders, black pants with holsters on their belts and secret pouches, and black leather shoes with a tracking device inserted at their soles.

Zitao felt his face redden with embarrassment. He started having second thoughts in accepting this position.

"Well" Agent Kim said, inspecting him. "Don’t just stand there! Sit beside your partner" He motioned at the seat at the back beside the blonde man.

Zitao bowed and walked quietly. By then, Agent Kim resumed the briefing.

He sat down and started taking in the tense atmosphere. Apparently, the mission is going to be held in Gangnam again. The agents were supposed to stop the transaction of illegal drugs worth 12 million won.

Oh, Zitao thought, I forgot to introduce myself to my new partner.

"I'm Huang Zitao" he offered his hand to his partner. "But you can call me Zitao or Tao"

Zitao was expecting a warm smile rather than a bitter scowl. His partner, Agent Wu, looked at him with disgust, stared at the offered hand with contempt, and looked away.

face.

Zitao sighed. Looks like he need to work on his intrapersonal skills. Or rather, the skills of socializing in terms of being an agent.

He studied the serious faces of the agents that surround him - agents that are 2-3 years older than him. They have more experience, of course. They were examining every detail given by Agent Kim.

Damn it, I forgot that we are being briefed.

Zitao shook his head and put his head on the game - his head on his very first mission.

"Any questions?" Agent Kim asked.

No one raised their hands.

"Very well then. Proceed to the garage"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were 6 agents assigned on the mission and they were splatted into pairs. And that means, Zitao was stuck with his faced partner.

Their ride was a sleek black bulletproof Mercedes Benz in order to blend in with the rich lifestyle of Gangnam.

He got in and sat on the passenger’s seat. He breathed in the new car smell and hopefully, lots of good luck.

Zitao closed his eyes. This is it, Zitao. Don't screw it up. Just relax and remember your training. Your training, remember - Zitao's eyes shot open just in time Agent Wu opened the car's door and sat down in the driver's seat.

Zitao started to panic. He remembered that....

He didn't have a full training for this.

The garage doors opened and the Agent Wu stepped on the gas pedal so hard and the next thing, they were zooming past the fences of SAO. It's the first time in years Zitao remembered that there was a world outside - way past the vicinity of SAO.

Breathe, Zitao. Don't let Agent Wu notice you -

"You okay?"

Too late.

Zitao nodded. He set on his "agent on a mission" face in hope that it might hide his nervousness.

"Okay, let's set this straight. I have some ground rules for you. Number one, you shall never touch any of my things. My guns, my bombs, my shades - NEVER. Number two, do as I said so. If you disobeyed me, you might-" a black Benz swerved right in front of the nose of their car " YOU JONGIN! God, that kid is a ing show off. So where was I?"

Zitao calmly responded "You were trying to threaten me"

"Oh right. If you disobeyed me, you might-" he continued "end up dead in your sleep. Number three, never get in my way during missions or you'll have your guts will explode. Lastly, never EVER go to the wrong side of Wu Yifan"

So that's his name.

"Got it?" he asked sternly. 

Zitao thought that Agent Park must be tough because he was able to bear this guy.

"Yes, sir" Zitao answered.

"Don't call me 'sir'. It makes me in puke. Just call me, Yifan" Agent Wu - Yifan - said.

"Yes, Yifan" He gulped. He made a mental note,

NEVER MESS WITH WU YIFAN

"Good. Now, let us kick some motherin "

Then he zoomed past the traffic light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're here" Yifan said. He parked the car in a dark alleyway, hidden from the people's eyes. He got his gun, loaded it, and put it on his belt. 

"What are you doing? Get your gun"

Zitao realized that he had been staring at Yifan the whole time, trying to absorb the spy atmosphere.

He got his gun and loaded it.

Holy crap, Zitao, what are you doing with a gun if you can't even shoot a target?

"God, Zitao" Yifan said with his eyes rolling "Are you going to hold that gun as we walk on the streets of Gangnam? Hide it"

He shoved the gun into the holster. "All set" Zitao said.

"Let's get moving then" They went out of the car and walked for 10 minutes until they reached an abandoned warehouse.

"Go to the back"

They climbed up on the back wall of the warehouse and searched for an entrance.

"There" Zitao pointed to a fire exit.

Yifan nodded and said, "Get your gun" 

Zitao took his gun and cranked it. Together, they went inside with Yifan leading the way. The warehouse was dark and moist. Zitao registered that it wasn't used for years. There were some lights opened, an evidence that something was really going on here. They zigzagged in and out of corridors until they heard a deep voice.

"The boss said that the transaction will be held at the shipping area. Right this way, sir" 

Then they heard a series of heavy footsteps coming towards them.

", they're coming this way. Hide"

Both of the agents scrambled to find an unlocked door. Zitao's heart started hammering. He wasn't going to get caught on his first mission. He -

Yifan dragged him by his collar towards a dark, empty room and closed the door. Zitao felt his breathing quicken and his chest tighten. He was so close to Yifan. So close - he can hear his breathing and his heartbeat racing.

"Damn, we almost got caught. Good thing, I found an open door" Yifan said. Through the small cracks on the wall of the warehouse, Zitao can see a smile imprinted on his partner's face. He tried hard not to stare.

"How will we know where they're going?" Zitao asked. Good thing he has a fast functioning brain.

 

"I dropped a tracking device on the floor. Hopefully, it will stick to their soles and lead us to the right destination" Yifan answered. He looks proud of himself. Zitao felt Yifan's wristwatch vibrate. 

"Someone stepped on it. Come on" Yifan opened the door and started sprinting. Zitao followed him and found themselves at the scene of the crime.

Yifan urged him to come closer. They both took a glance.

Though the area was full of large crates, what Zitao saw made him want to barf. A dozen men opened 12 briefcases containing money. Probably, each briefcase contains a million won. And those briefcases were substitutes for illegal drugs.

Yifan raced towards the nearest crate and beckon Zitao to follow. They changed crate after crate until Yifan decided to split up. Zitao breathed heavily and went for the nearest crate. 

He started to curse. He doesn't know what to do anymore. He- 

He felt his wristwatch vibrate.

It's a message from Yifan.

God damn it, Zitao. Look at me.

Zitao looked up and searched for Yifan. He found him and he was face palming himself. He proceeded in making signs with his hands.

On the count of three, he mouthed.

...1

......2

.........3

"FREEZE!" Both of them shouted, their guns pointed at the people involved in the transaction. The men were surprised. 

"Put your hands in the air and no one gets hurt" Yifan said. The men eyed each other cautiously. In a matter of seconds, the men holding the briefcases closed it, got their gun, and started shooting at Zitao and Yifan.

Both of the agents dodged it and went to the crates for cover.

They started firing.

Yifan, with his first shot, knocked down a trader. His shots continued. No bullet was wasted.

While Zitao...

Zitao missed his every shot and it was time to reload again. He reached into his belt to grab the bullets. There were only five left - not enough for this party.

"Freeze!" Another voice said. "God damn it, Jongin. You and your show off got us lost again and now we're late"

"Kyungsoo! Kai! Get your asses down here!" Yifan shouted. "Where are two idiots?"

Zitao heard another voice shouted "Right here! And Wu Yifan, we do not appreciate you for calling us idiots. Right Luhan?"

"Right you are Xiumin" Luhan replied.

About time, Zitao thought.

He loaded his gun clumsily and forgot to lock it. The bullets slipped from the gun and were now scattered across the floor.

Damn it

Zitao ducked as a bullet came flying over him. He came crouching on the floor searching for his lost bullets.

1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. He stood up and started loading the bullet into his gun. I found -

"ZITAO, WATCH OUT!"

Somebody pushed him to the crates with an extreme force. Zitao closed his eyes. He thought he might be dead already. But As soon as Zitao forced his eyes to open, he was staring at Yifan's deadly glare.

"WHAT THE , ZITAO! You almost got killed on your first mission. Next time, don't leave the cover searching for your bullets. STAY HERE!" Yifan left Zitao behind a crate. 

Zitao felt like a kid. He felt so ed up at the moment. He humiliated himself. He wasn't thinking when he went diving on the floor searching for his bullets amidst the shooting that was happening. 

Zitao punched the crate to let out his anguish.

He had failed Agent Kwon. And because of that stupid action of his, he might be living on the streets again.

"ALL CLEAR!"

Zitao walked away from the crate to see what happened. He saw many bodies scattered on the floor. The briefcases were splashed with warm blood and the drugs -

"Someone escaped" Yifan declared. "Someone took the drugs and left with it"

Zitao walked towards Yifan but he was stopped by his glare.

"Let's leave this to the SAO. Zitao," he looked at him, “You’re coming with me"

With that Yifan walked away and Zitao followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're not going to tell Agent Kwon what I've done?!" Zitao asked Yifan. They were driving home now. Yifan had already called SAO to clear up the scene. 

"You didn’t have proper training. So maybe, that only counts as strike one out of...two"

He was surprised that Yifan was going to let it pass. Zitao exhaled a breath of gratitude. "Thanks Agent Wu"

"Ugh I told you not to call me that" he replied.

"But you only said I wasn't allowed to call you sir" Zitao argued.

"Sir, agent, blah blah blah. I hate the in titles affiliated to SAO. Like I told you, just call me Yifan"

"Thanks, Yifan" Zitao finally said.

"And you shouldn’t be thanking me right now"

Zitao stiffened.

"As soon as we arrive, pack your things because starting tomorrow" he paused. "You're going to live with me"