I.

Maybe We Should Stay Like This

I.

It’s been 10 years since Zitao became a SAO agent.

And for 10 years, he still feels so different and isolated.

He’s 18 now and he should be hanging out with his co-agents or going to missions that are practically suicide in disguise. But no. He’s assigned to do “technical work” meaning he was never to leave the agency’s premises or go to missions.

Now he’s here. Sitting in the weapons lab tinkering with bombs and guns with a highly intelligent co-agent named Baekhyun. He wanted to be on the field even if it’s like playing tag with death itself. But he’s stuck here with items he wouldn’t even probably use. He just wished that if he made his target practice grade a little higher, he wouldn’t be here right now.

“Zitao, will you quit it?” Baekhyun said irritatingly. “Everyday you come to this very lab whining and wishing to be assigned in a mission. Well here’s the thing” he set down his hammer. “You and me are going to be stuck in here forever until we turn into skeletons with cobwebs. Get it? Now fix the goddamned bomb” Baekhyun shoved him another piece of defective bomb.

Maybe Baekhyun is right. Maybe I’m destined for this position, Zitao thought.

He continued working quietly on the bomb until a shouting erupted.

“He’s been hit!”

Zitao and Baekhyun exchanged glances before both of them stood up on their chair to look at the scene unfolding in front of them.

“Who?” asked Agent Kwon. Apparently, the SAO director was absent so Agent Kwon took over his position.

“Agent Park, sir” replied by a tall, blonde man who Zitao suspected as Agent Park’s partner. “We were doing a field mission on the streets of Gangnam when this happened” The blonde man looked down on the wheelchair he was pushing. Zitao saw the agonized face of Agent Park, his legs motionless.

“Dear God” Agent Kwon took a peek at the shot part “Send him to the infirmary immediately! Agents, make way!”

The blonde man with his tense face pushed the wheelchair with extreme force that in a matter of seconds, they were gone. Agent Kwon shook his head and sighed heavily. He slowly regained his posture and started walking towards the weapons lab. Zitao and Baekhyun snapped out of the scene and returned to their work.

“Agent Huang!” Agent Kwon called him.

Zitao’s shoulders tensed.

 “Report to my office immediately” he continued.

“Y-yes sir!” he stutteringly replied but Agent Kwon had left already. He started to shake knowing that something unexpected was going to happen in a matter of moments. He started exiting the weapons lab when Baekhyun shouted, “Good luck, Zitao, you’re going to need it. Not everyone who goes in the Director’s office survives” he smiled teasingly and continued tinkering with the bomb Zitao left.

Whatever Baekhyun had told him, it did not help at all. He exhaled heavily and continued to walk on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zitao’s hands are very oily with grime and his face was soaked with sweat. In short, he as not presentable at all. But knowing Agent Kwon, he has no taste for appearances. He craves for intelligence and skills in SAO’s agents.

No, Zitao. You shouldn’t worry about your appearance right now. What you should worry about is why you are being called to the Director’s office.

This was the very first time Zitao had been called to go to the highest place in the vicinity of SAO. Like what Baekhyun had suggested when they were trainees, inside that office, only confidential matters are being discussed. By confidential matters, Zitao thought, maybe he had done something wrong and was now subject to suspension. He shrugged that idea off. He didn’t want to go back to the streets begging for alms. All he knows that he wants to be more than that – more than a street rat.

He’s now in front of the Director’s office. He took his last calm breath then swiped his ID car, did some retinal and finger scan before the doors slid open for him.

He was greeted by a loud and monotonous voice of Agent Kwon, “Good afternoon, Agent Huang. Take a seat” he gestured to a purple velvet seat in front of his table.

Conscious of his appearance, Zitao replied “Thank you sir but I prefer to stand up since my grime filled clothes might stain that high class furniture”

The tense atmosphere broke as Agent Kwon’s laughed echoed across the room. “That’s what I like about you, boy. Your wits has pleased me ever since I found you in the streets” He took a sip of what Zitao thought was imported coffee from the west. “Well, I called you here today because of a very important matter” He paused for a second. “You are being promoted to being a field agent”

Zitao blinked. He suddenly became paralyzed with shock. “I’m sorry sir but can you repeat it again”

Agent Kwon’s voice boomed, “There’s no need to repeat it, Agent Huang. I know you heard it loud and clear. You’ve always dreamt of being a field agent, am I not right? Now, the unfortunate accident that happened to Agent Park is your ticket to get on the field”

“B-but sir” he started stuttering again. “Agent Park is going to recover from that injury. It looks like a minor shot and I cannot possibly replace him”

“We all know that, Agent Huang. Agent Park is going to recover really soon but I’m afraid that his legs would not. The SAO had experienced a lot of agents being shot at their legs and unfortunately, all those agents aren’t able to walk anymore. They are going to be shifted to being a technical agent like you since they can’t chase criminals with their limp legs. SAO’s ways of replacing them is getting a substitute from the recommended list of technical agents. Good for you, Agent Huang, that you’ve topped that list”

Zitao can’t believe it. He masked his nervousness and shocked with a respectful nod.

“You are now the permanent replacement of Agent Park. I believe you have met him already?” Agent Kwon asked.

“No, sir. He’s 3 years ahead of me” he replied.

“Well, maybe you’re going to get to know him better through his partner, Agent Wu. And by the way, your first field assignment is tomorrow. Head straight to briefing room for details. And for your field clothes, I’ve asked someone to bring it up in your room. You may go now, Agent Huang, and don’t make me regret this decision”

“Yes, sir” Zitao replied. He fixed his posture as if saying he’s ready for a mission. “I won’t let you down”

“Very well then. See you tomorrow”

Zitao nodded and breathed in the fact that he’s now a field agent.