Bittersweet Endings

Little Monsters

 

"How are you so sure?" Chanyeol asks once he's composed himself from the shock of the news. Jaejoong flashes a sad sympathetic smile.

 

"Because I'm just like him. But unlike him, I can never have any kids of my own." Chanyeol can't say he wasn't suprised. After witnessing Jaejoong's expert handling of the situation, Chanyeol had attributed it to the fact that Jaejoong had a large family of his own to tend to. Chanyeol didn't know Jaejoong and Yunho had no pups of their own.

 

"I'm sorry to hear that," Chanyeol says genuinely. He really was. Chanyeol couldn't imagine what it was like to not be able to create a family with your mate. He didn't even want to think about what his life would have been like if Baekhyun and him didn't have any of their ten pups. Baekhyun was the love of his life, and every individual pup of theirs is their sunshine. Chanyeol is certain his life would be worthless without any one of them. Jaejoong has his mate, Yunho, but surely no wolf would want a life without a few of those cute little pups to take care of, and to carry on the family's bloodline. 

 

"Sure it gets lonely at times, but I think Yunho creates enough mess for ten kids. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like it's just the two of us." Jaejoong smiles fondly at Yunho who was playing tag with the pups in the distant.

 

"I'm glad you were strong enough to come to terms with it." Chanyeol pats his back in camaraderie. But his frown returns soon after as his mind drifts off to thoughts of Baekhyun who's sleeping calmly inside without a clue of the misfortune to have befallen upon them. "But Baekhyun... he can appear tough at times but he's really fragile inside. I'm just scared the news will break him. He would always tell me of his plans for our future; he wants to keep going till he naturally can't anymore."

 

Jaejoong watches Chanyeol, almost able to feel his pain. "And he'll always have this smile... the most beautiful smile that makes his eyes disappear into crinkles, whenever he talks about it." Chanyeol chuckles fondly at the image he'd conjured of Baekhyun. "I just... I don't want him to lose it, you know? I don't think I'll be able to live if I don't see it again."

 

"I know what you mean." Jaejoong sighs, the thought of Yunho and their happiness on his mind. Just then, a pink furred pup separates himself from the group after catching his father's eye. The pup charges right at Chanyeol who catches him in his arms just in time. Chanyeol chuckles as the pup showers him with affectionate to his face.

 

"Sehunnie, what's that for?" Chanyeol asks in between laughter.

 

"Daddy, you finally got it right this time!" Sehun barks, beaming widely at his dad. 

 

"I guess I did," Chanyeol says, ruffling Sehun's fur. 

 

"Come play with us, Daddy!" Chanyeol obliges, turning back into his wolf form just as Sehun slips out of his hold. "Let's race!"

 

"I'll give you a five second headstart. If I still manage to catch you then you'll be subjected to the torment of tickling!" Chanyeol fakes an evil laughter that has Sehun hiccuping with laughter as well. The pup decides to be sneaky and takes off even before Chanyeol signalled the start. 

 

Chanyeol gives one last appreciative smile to Jaejoong before sprinting after his pup.

 


 

Tonight is one of the rare nights that the temperature is tolerable during winter, and it almost feels like Spring if not for the tiny snowflakes that fall from the sky. Yunho had suggested they started a campfire, and the pups were all excited with the idea so they ended up spending the afternoon building a makeshift fort (that's much steadier than it looks) and by the time the sun had set, everyone was already huddled around the bonfire that the adults had made. 

 

Kris suggested they did a talent show to keep themselves occupied. Everyone was surprised when D.O eagerly volunteered himself to start off the show by singing a song their mother often sings to them. If Baekhyun had the voice of an angel, little D.O was a force to be reckoned with, belting out the song with perfection. Everyone was in awe, and Chanyeol couldn't have been more proud. His little precious gem has really come a long way, though D.O gave a small shy smile once he was done and the audience were wolf-whistling and applauding him.

 

Somewhere in between Jongin's dancing and Kris' unexpected rapping, Chanyeol's sharp ears perk up at the sound  of his mate stirring awake in the cave. Quietly, Chanyeol slips from the celebrating bunch to enter the cave where fhe purple wolf was tossing lightly in his sleep, eyes still screwed shut though there's a slight frown creased in between his eyebrows.

 

Chanyeol assumes his position behind his mate and slowly curls around Baekhyun before taking him in his arms. He buries his muzzle into Baekhyun's fur to calm him down when the latter starts to whimper softly.

 

"Channie?" Baekhyun calls out a few minutes later, his eyes fluttering open.

 

"I'm here, baby." Chanyeol assures Baekhyun, holding him tighter to show he was. "Did you have a bad dream?"

 

Baekhyun falls awfully silent and Chanyeol registers how rigid the purple wolf suddenly was in his arms. Instead of a reply, all he got was Baekhyun shifting around and then burying his face into Chanyeol's neck. Chanyeol doesn't ask why, just waiting patiently for Baekhyun to be ready to tell him what it was that's bothering him.

 

"I wish it was." Baekhyun says so quietly, his words muffled into Chanyeol's thick fur. If Chanyeol didn't have the sharp sense of hearing that he's born with, he would have missed it altogether. Before Chanyeol could even try to contemplate on Baekhyun's reply, he suddenly feels the purple wolf trembling in his arms and soft sniffles soon followed.

 

"Hey, hey, baby, shh," Chanyeol tries to calm him down, "What is it?"

 

"It's not a dream, is it? It's real." Baekhyun cries, burying himself further into Chanyeol's neck.

 

"Baek I don't--"

 

"I heard you and Jaejoong talking." Baekhyun says through sobs and for the second time, Chanyeol feels like he's being punched in the gut. "I can't have anymore kids. I can't give you more, I can't make you happy."

 

"Is that what you're worried for? That you can't make me happy now?" 

 

Baekhyun numbly nods, his tears wetting Chanyeol's fur though his sobs have now subsided to sniffles. Chanyeol pries Baekhyun away from his neck and brings his eyes to meet his own.

 

"Baek... I'm surprised you would even think that." Chanyeol gently chides. "Have you not seen how happy I am these past few years? You of all people should know how I am when I'm truly happy."

 

There's truth in Chanyeol's words. There was once a time, when Baekhyun had been a lone stray wolf, seeking shelter of his own till he stumbled across a mean and unhappy wolf. Baekhyun had been quick to befriend the seemingly terrfying midnight blue wolf when he came to find that he was just like him. Abandoned and without anyone else in the world. The wolf did all it could to shrug the unnaturally amiable purple wolf who stuck to him like glue. But somewhere along the way, the Grinch, as Baekhyun used to call him, fell for the purple wolf's adorable nature. And once he's fallen, Chanyeol couldn't seem to find a way out of the happy warp he had been into. Needless to say, Chanyeol didn't think he has ever been this happy, nor did he think he was even capable of such happiness, till Baekhyun came along.

 

"I know, but you've always wanted a huge family."

 

"Isn't our family huge enough? Do you want to build a nation or something, hmm, Park Baekhyun?" Chanyeol's little joke manages to lift Baekhyun's spirits as the purple wolf giggles. Chanyeol's heart misses a beat at the sound, as if it was leaping with joy.

 

A brief silence falls upon them before Baekhyun speaks up once again.

 

"I'm really sorry I can't give you more." Baekhyun whispers as he runs his paws through the fur on Chanyeol's abdomen. The gesture sends a tingling throughout Chanyeol's body.

 

"Hush, Baekkie, you've given me more than I could ever want. I'm very content with you and our ten little poop machines."

 

Baekhyun erupts into laughter this time, throwing his head back in glee. The noise disturbs their newborns from their sleep and soon, all three were whining to be fed.

 

"You woke them up." Baekhyun grouses, albeit affectionately.

 

"You were the one laughing like a deranged seal." Chanyeol chuckles. He laments briefly at how Baekhyun pulls away from his embrace to tend to the crying newborns. Baekhyun settles himself in front of them and uses a paw to slide them all into the curl of his body, guiding them to start feeding on him. The sounds of ling fills the cave and Chanyeol watches Baekhyun for a moment, taking his time to appreciate the purple wolf's gentle and livin ministrations, and the soft, warm adoring gaze he has on their pups. Chanyeol commits the image to his memory, knowing full well it's going to be the last time he'll ever see Baekhyun tending to their newborns this way. But he's fine with it. He's content, even.

 

Chanyeol bounds over to Baekhyun and the new additions to their family, leaving the chastest kiss to Baekhyun's forehead before resting his own head against Baekhyun's.

 

Outside, he hears their pups roaring in laughter, having the time of their life, and he thinks life really can't get any better than this.

 

The Park family is complete, and Chanyeol wouldn't have it any other way. 

 


 

NOTE: Finally ended this!!! I feel so happy rn. I think I like the way this story has turned out. I planned quite a bit for it but it never seemed right, and I didn't even stick to my initial plot but heck. I think it turned out fine. 

 

Thanks to everyone who has read it, and enjoyed! I didn't think this story would get this amount of love considering that it's my first Wolf au. And all  60 upvoters, thank you <3

 

I've read through all the comments and noted each couple's popularity (excluding chanbaek):

-Hunhan and Taoris are tied at first place

-Kaisoo coming in a close second

- SuLay in third

These are all just your votes but you guys would have to read to see which couples made it into the story :)

 

As promised, I'm going to post my new mpreg story soon and I hope those who've stayed with this will check it out. It's not wolf au, but it's still mpreg:) will be looking forward to seeing you guys there, and I'll give you the link once I have it up!