...001

Paper Roses

A/N: The words Bold Italics are inner thoughts. The paragraph(s) in the container are flashbacks.


 

Jeon Eun Young kicked the stones with her shoes while walking down the narrow street. Her hands gripped her schoolbag's straps, as she pouted, kicking the small stones as she walked. She sighed. Life could be so much more... right now, it's all about school. Wait! School's okay but when you have people like The Magnets and cool guys like the Rimshots guys, school life ain't boring but a dangerous roller-coaster ride. 

 

 

Eun Young walked into the school gate, a few students were walking in as well, chatting with their friends, fiddling over their newly bought smartphones and even getting all lovey-dovey with their boyfriend/girlfriend. 

"It seems like I'm all alone.... again..." Eun Young sighed. 

She used to have a best friend, two actually but Ye Rin is a little.... well it's too hard to explain. On the other hand, Hyo Ri and Eun Young have been friends ever since they were in diapers. Hyo Ri lives three doors down from Eun Young. But things changed. Things really changed. 

 

 

2 WEEKS AGO

Eun Young was walking down the hallway, stopping in front of her locker. She opened her locker and took out a few books. She looked at her watch and realized it was only 7 AM. School starts at 8 AM so she has an hour to go. 

Eun Young carried her books in her hand as she made her way to the library. Honestly, she expected to see no one in there but when she walked into the library, she saw Dong Won sitting on a chair at a table near the corner. His ears are plugged as his feet were tapping, perhaps to the music he was listening. 

Lee Dong Won, a nerd Emo who loves Arts in the school. He rarely talks, in fact, he rarely smiles. He keeps himself to himself. He has no friends, obviously, a nerd Emo who is crazy about Arts, and he ranked number one in school. 

Eun Young shrugged and walked to the nearest table. The table was two tables away from where Dong Won was sitting. Eun Young put her books on the table and began searching for a book in particular. She was actually finding for a book, entitled 'The Hidden Secrets of Homemade Arts.' 

Eun Young do not likes Arts. She loves it. It's one of the subjects that she has her hands down. She was searching for it everywhere in the library but she found none. 

"That's weird. I thought I saw it a few days ago..."

Eun Young muttered something and went back to her seat. She sat down and tapped her fingers on the table. Bored, she tapped her hands on the table, making drum-like sounds echoing through the library. 

"Do you mind..?" suddenly Eun Young heard someone spoke. 

She turned to her right and saw Dong Won looking at her with a smug face. His left hand holding the left earplug. Eun Young stopped tapping her hands, her face flashed apology. Dong Won raised her eyebrows and stood up. He grabbed his bag on the chair beside him and slung it over one shoulder. 

"If you''re looking for that book, I borrowed it but here..." he opened his bag and took out the book that she was finding for, "you can have it."

Eun Young gazed at the book and back at him. "It's okay. I can wait...."

He put the book on the table in front of her. "Take it... You might need it. Besides, I've read it couple of times before..."

Dong Won walked out of the library. Eun Young watched him leave. After he was out of sight, Eun Young turned her head and stared at the book in front of her. The corner of her lips curled into a light smile. 

"Thanks..." she muttered.

 

 

Hyo Ri and Eun Young was walking back from school. They bought ice cream beforehand. The summer has been overwhelming. 

"I saw you talking to Dong Won this morning, before the bell rang...." Hyo Ri said. 

"You were there...?" Eun Young asked, her face shocked.

Hyo Ri shrugged as she pursued her lips. "I figured you'be be way early so I made some effort to come early then I saw you talking to him in the library. Just both of you... alone..."

Eun Young slapped her friend's arms. Hyo Ri made an 'Ouch' face as she rubbed her 'injured' arm.

"We were just talking. I went to find a book but it turned out he borrowed it then he lended it to me... so... and besides, he is actually quite nice..." Eun Young defended. 

 

 

Then, they arrived at Eun Young's house. They both walked in and they found Eun Young's mom sleeping on the couch. 

"It must be Eun Jo and Eun Hee's faults..." Hyori whispered. 

Eun Young giggled lightly as they walked upstairs. Eun Young has two younger siblings. Eun Jo, a one-year old brother and Eun Hee, the 6 months old baby girl. 

Yup, the age difference is so huge. Eun Young is 18 now, next year will be graduation year. Eun Young refused to use the term senior year, it made her sound so old...

They walked into her room and closed the door. Eun Young threw herself on her bed, lying on her back as she closed her eyes. Hyori went straight to her laptop and logged in. She knows the password. Hyori logged onto Eun Young's SNS (which she knows the password as well..) and trolling around in it. 

"Hey stop hacking me.." Eun Young said as she turned herself over so that she was now lying on her stomach, facing Hyori's back.

"La da da da da...." Hyori sung. Her voice pierced through the room. One's eardrum could break hearing her sing. 

Eun Young smiled as she curled her hair around her finger. Suddenly, she remembered something. 

"Oh !" she cursed. 

Eun Young jolted herself off her bed and lunged herslef towards Hyori, pushing her off the chair. Hyori landed on her on the floor. Eun Young looked at the screen. Her eyes grew wide. 

She hadn't read it yet... had she...?

She turned her head at Hyori, her face now screamed hurt and betrayal. Eun Young walked towards Hyori, taking small and nervous steps. 

"How could you..?" Hyori said, her voice sounded hurt and angry. 

"How could you say that "The Magnets are a bunch of brainless girls es (s would be best) who thinks that they attract but hell yeah... they don't..." and "the Magnets wannabes are just likely alike..."??" Hyori exclaimed. 

Eun Young's lips started to tremble. For the first time in 18 years of life, she forgot to speak.

"You know I would like to be one of them...? And you know Yerin too... she is one of them...!" Hyori started screaming. 

"No she isn't. She wants to be one of them. You changed a lot when she became our friends." Eun Young fought back. 

She is right. The Hyori she knows is never materialistic and picky on choosing friends. 

"You're just jealous of Yerin. She's pretty and rich. She is fabulous, glam, guys like her, girls wants to be her... and you are just an exception out of all of it. You are just so stuck up. Always thinking you're right. Well guess what. Reality's a ! You're not always right!" Hyori screamed. 

Eun Young was very shocked when she heard this. She was so speechless. And Eun Young's mom showed up right at that moment. 

"Girls. What's wrong? I heard you shouting...?" Eun Young's mom asked, her face worried as her brows scrunched. 

Hyori rolled her eyes as she grabbed her bag and walked out the door, walking past by Eun Young's mom without saying goodbye.

Eun Young's mom turned around to watch Hyori leave, wide agape. She then turned around to face her daughter, who is now crying. 

 

Eun Young suddenly felt her body bumped into something hard but stiff. She looked up and immediately backed away. Hder hands now gripping her skirts. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't watch where I was going..." Eun Young said as she bowed her head. 

They guy took a step ahead, Eun Young could see that, his feet were now closer. 

"It's okay... Are you hurt..?" the guy asked. 

Eun Young lifted her head and looked at his face. She shook her head. The guy smiled and he gestured his arm to the school compoung. 

"Ladies' first..." he said. 

Eun Young smiled and muttered 'thank you' and walked into the school. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eun Young sat in her Art class. She supported her chin with her hand, staring out the window. One of the perks having the window seat. A student came running in, a boy actually. Park Jun Ho, or better known as the cool four-eyed because he wears a pair of spectacle and he is cool. He is the president of the Editor's Club in the school. 

"Teacher's absent today. Teacher Song will be our relief teacher..." he said as he smiled widely. 

Teacher Song is a cool teacher. Her age is a mystery but she is supportive. Jus then, Teacehr Song walked into the class. She put her bag on the table and cleared . 

"What shall we do today..?" she asked. 

I turned my head, my eyes landed on Dong Won. He was sketching something in his sketch book. 

I would love to see what he sketches. It must be fantastic.

It's true. Eun Young has seen one of his sketches, it got publicized on the school's bulletin board as the 'One of the Most Amazing Student's Creation'. 

"Why not we do whatever we like..." a student suggested. 

It sounds like a great idea.

Teacher Song nodded her head. "Okay. But be quiet or else we will be learning History...." she warned. 

The whole class nodded. I scanned around the Arts room. Then I saw some coloured paper, the kind that is really thin and quite ruffled, and some sticks on the shelves. Then, an idea popped in my mind. 

I stood up and went to the shelves and took it. I also grabbed a hot glue gun and a apir of scissors. Then, Eun Young went back to her seat and began cutting. 

Two minutes later, she held up a stalk of blue paper rose. Eun Young smiled to herself. It is beautiful. Just then, she heard someone cleared his throat. Eun Young turned her hhead and saw the guy that she bumped into earlier. She smiled at him. 

"May you teach me how to make that?" he said, pointing at the blue paper rose. 

Eun Young nodded. She then showed him how to make one. 

 

Five minutes later, the guy held up his paper rose. The folding was a bit off, the stem was a bit bent, due to his force when he tried to fold the paper around the stick but apart from that, it looked.... fine...?

"It looks amazing to me..." the guy said. 

Eun Young smiled nervously. 

"Oh by the way, my name is Kai...." the guy said, he held his hand out. 

Eun Young took his hand and shook it. "Hello. Uhm.. My name is Eun Young...."

He nodded his head. He then smiled at her and she swore, she felt something when he smiled. A tiny electrifying spark. It was something that made her stomach twisted and she felt butterflies. 

 

 

 

ONE YEAR LATER

"Look! I finally perfected it..." Kai said as he showed his paper rose in front of Eun Young. 

It is beautiful.

"It's pretty Kai. Took you a year to perfect it..." Eun Young said as she placed a hand on his shoulder. 

Kai smiled. "Actually, it was 8 months... Took me 8 months to get it right."

Eun Young rolled her eyes. She turned around and saw Hyori walking with Yerin and the Magnets. Eun Young sighed. 

"We're the Magnets. We attract..." Kai mocked them. 

'We're the Magnets. We attract.' That is their tagline, sort of. The Magnets are similiar to The Plastics in Mean Girls. I frowned as I rolled my eyes. 

I guess I lost my best friend for life huh...

"Hey are you going to the prom night...?" Kai asked. 

It's a tradition in our school. Each year, before school closes, the student body (the President obviously) will plan a prom night... It's so uncool to not attend. 

"I have to... Why...?" Eun Young asked. 

Kai ducked his head down.... "Well... A lot of girls asked me to be their date but they are well you know... so clingy so I thought maybe you could...." Kai said as he cooly put his hands in his pockets. 

Eun Young felt butterflies in her stomach. 

Really...?! I would love to. Oh My Gosh... 

She squealed inside her. But she was lucky she managed to hide her girly reaction. Instead, she cooly answered him. 

"Ok... sure..." she shrugged. 

 

 

 

 

5 YEARS LATER

"You were jealous that time because guys were drooling over me..." Eun Young mocked. 

Kai face turned red and she swore she saw steams escaped her boyfriend's head. 

"No I did not. I was just being protective..." Kai defended himself. 

Eun Young rolled her eyes. How did they become a couple?

Well actually none of them officially 'proposed' to the other but the 24 year old couple sort of figured it out. 

"How's work...?" Eun Young asked. 

"Stressful..." Kai said as he put his arm over her shoulders and rested his head on her shoulder. 

Kai is now the CEO of his father's company after his father retired. Actually, Eun Young never found out that Kai was the heir to the Ducimus Corporations until when Yerin broke the news to the whole school on Graduation Day. Yes, the whole school didn't know that Kai was the heir to one of the most successful company in South Korea. 

Eun Young leaned closer, enjoying his warmth as he massaged his temples. Kai closed his eyes as he was enjoying the massage. Eun Young knows Kai likes this, he always welcomes any massage upon him. Obviously it makes her super jealous when another girl do it to him. 

"I love you..." Kai said, his eyes still closed. 

Eun Young smiled as she kept on massaging his temples. 

"I love you too," Eun Young said, kissing his forehead. 

"Winter's coming in a few weeks, Christmas too..." Eun Young said. 

Kai opened his eyes and stared at the sky. He smiled as he turned his head towards his loving, beautiful girlfriend. 

He leaned closer till their faces inches apart. He smiled as he brought his hand, caressing her cheek. 

"Let's go meet my parents. I plan to marry you. We'll meet them tomorrow. We'll get their blessing and plan our wedding. I wanted it to be on Christmas morning but it's up to you.... And...-" Kai said, only to be interrupted by Eun Young. 

"Are you crazy? In fact, is this how you propose...?" Eun Young said as she crossed her arms, "What if we don't get their blessings? Plus, we're only 24. You have work, I need to graduate from college... and..." Eun Young couldn't finish her sentence. 

Why? Because Kai crashed his lips on hers. Whenever they are like this, in that position, lips meeting lips, none of them could ever deny each other. They are sort of addicted to one another. Love addiction. Love cravings. It's crazy but wonderful. So beautiful. 

They broke apart, gasping for air. Their faces were red. Their lips swollen. 

"Let's go meet my parents," he said as he slipped a ring on her fourth finger. 

Eun Young gasped. No, no... Not at times like this... Don't cry...

But they fell anyways, her tears. She brought her right hand and put in on as she was shocked. 

Kai wiped her tears with his thumb. "These are tears of happiness right?" he whispered, his voice low and husky.

Eun Young nodded as she closed her eyes. Words couldn't describe whatever she was feeling right now. 

"Then I take that as a yes. I'll pick you up at 10. We'll meet my parents at my home during lunch. After that, we can start shopping for the wedding ceremony..." Kai said. 

 

 

 

THE NEXT DAY

Eun Young stood in front of the mirror. She checked herself for the thousandth time. She was wearing a sleeveless light purple dress that reached below her knees. She wore the necklace that Kai bought for her 20th birthday. It is a silver necklace with a tiny rose pendant. Her lips curled into a smile as she reminisced what happened 6 years ago in the Arts class. 

 

Just then, she heard her mother called for her from downstairs. 

"Eun Young-ah... Kai is here..." her mother shouted. 

Eun Young is the eldest child. Her father died after being bittten by a snake when Eun Young was eight years old. Her father went to pick out some ripe fruits from the orchard back in their hometown in Jeolla-do. The hospital was miles away and he died before they reached the hospital. Now, Eun Young lives with her mother. She never remarried. 

"Coming mom...!" Eun Young said as she grabbed her handbag and checked herself in the mirror for the last time (and prayed that she looked great in front of Kai's parents) then rushed downstairs. She saw Kai standing by the stairs, waiting for her. The minute he saw her, Kai smiled. He held his thumbs up and he winked at her. 

Eun Young smiled sheepishly and she kissed her mother's cheeks. She hugged her and then walked out of the house with Kai. 

"Be good. Take care of her Kai..." her mother said. 

"Always Mrs Jeon. Always..." Kai said as he hugged his future mother in-law. 

 

 

Eun Young sat on the passenger seat uncomfortably. A lot of thoughts ran in her mind. She has met his parents before and they aren't fond of her. She is just a girl of a medium-class family and he is from the ultra-rich, high profile, famous family. Kai's family could buy the White House with their fortune if they wanted to. 

"You look to die for baby. No worries..." Kai said as he held her hand in his. 

"It's not my looks I'm worried about right now. It's your parents...." Eun Young said. 

"They will love you. Trust me... give them some time sweetheart... Everything will fall to its right places darling... I love you." he said and he kissed the back of her hand, his eyes still focused on the road. 

Eun Young smiled bitterly. 

Everything will fall to its right places......

 

 

 

The silence was killing both of them. Their stares sent daggers straight to her soul. Under the table, Kai gripped her hand tighter but tight enough not to hurt her. 

"Mom don't stare at her like that. Dad please...." Kai said. 

Eun Young bowed her head. She began to feel uneasy. 

"My, we are just shocked. You came here and tell us that you are marrying my son..." Kai's mother said. Her voice was soft yet pricking. Eun Young could sense the wicked feeling in her voice. 

"Mom.. It's natural. We've been dating for 5 years and I think it's time for us to be married. Right babe?" Kai said, turning his head to Eun Young. 

Eun Young lifted her head and looked at Kai. She smiled nervously as she nodded. She gulped down . 

"Son, are you sure about this?" his father asked. 

"I have never been so confident and so sure until I decided to marry her," Kai said as he looked at his father. 

God save me! The atmosphere is fatal. 

"I would like to talk to you alone... Jeon Eun Young." Kai's mother said. 

Eun Young's eyes widened. She turned her head to look at Kai. He smiled as he gribbed her hand tighter. Eun Young turned her head to look at his mother. She gulped down . 

Eun Young nodded and stood up. She followed his mother right behind. Now, they were standing at the patio. A coffee table with two chairs greeted them, not to mention the huge swimming pool. 

Kai's mother sat down on the chair. She cleared and rolled her eyes when she saw Eun Young just stood there, doing nothing. Realized her mistake, Eun Young muttered an apology and quickly took a seat. 

"I don't like you..." Kai's mother said. Her hands gently placed on her lap, right over left. 

Eun Young would bowed her head and stared at her own lap, instead she held her head up, looking straight into Kai's mother's eyes. 

After 5 years of taking in her humiliation, I won't back down now... Never! 

"I know my family background is nothing to be proud of but I will be graduating from my Masters and...." Eun Young defended herself. She has decided not to let anyone belittle her. 

"And you're just that..." she mocked. 

Kai's mother looked at Eun Young from head to toe. She had this despised look on her face, frown, as if she is a rubbish by the roadside. 

"You're not even pretty, you have a flat body, like a plank, no curves. I mean look at those flat chests..." Kai's mother pointed out. 

Eun Young admitted, she may not be the best-looking woman in the world, and yes, she knows very well that her body is petite, lack of curves but true love is never base on looks and body. She is pretty sure that everyone would agree with her. 

"Well ma'am... I have been trying and I believe that love...." Eun Young pointed out. 

"Believe that love is what? Pure..? That looks doesn't matter? Well I am sorry young lady but it is. You know nothing about living in such family like ours. Your standard is way too low compared to my family. You are like a drain and we are the shining stars in the sky..." Kai's mother spat out. 

Eun Young felt angry and ashamed. She felt angry to the fact that his mother thinks very lowly of her and her family and she felt sad that after 5 years of trying to please Kai's mother, her effort was thrown down the drain. She wanted to fight back but she knew all too well that if she did, it will only worsen the hatred in her boyfriend's mother's heart. 

Tears started to well up in her eyes. Eun Young gripped the hem of her dress in her hands, fighting the tears that were about to roll down her cheeks. 

5 years of holding it in, 5 years of letting herself hearing humiliations from his parents, 5 years of her confidence and stood by her true love, 5 years of putting on a pokerface to whatever they say, 5 years.... 5 long, agonizing years. Right now, she started to doubt the chance of her and Kai being together. The chance of them to have their happily ever after.Will they reach it, their happily ever after? Their fairytale happy ending? Is it possible? Can she stay strong until then? Can he understand? 

"So I am advising you...." Kai's mother broke the silence.

"Before things get uglier and worse, let him go now...Today! I don't want to see your face anymore! I don't want him to see you anymore! I do not want my son to have anything with a thrash like you anymore!" the words stung her. 

It stung her so badly. A thrash? How could a human be compared to a thrash? How could they even have the heart to? 

The tears that Eun Young fought so hard not to fall finally rolled down her cheeks. Once it reached the tip of her lips, it tasted salty and bitter. They felt hurtful and pitiful. Crying in front of the so to-be mother in-law.... when all that she has been doing is humiliating and belittled her. 

Eun Young closed her eyes. Tears fell down fast, she pressed her lips together, trying to fight back the sobbing, she didn't want to look so weak in front of his mother. She has to be strong. 

Eun Young finally found the courage to take a deep breath and exhaled. She slowly held up her head and looked at Kai's mother. 

"Just give me until Christmas morning.... please..." it should come out from strongly and confidently but they came out weak and it sounded more like a plead. 

Kai's mother sighed in frustration. She flipped her hair with her hand as she rolled her eyes. "Frustrating...." she muttered. 

She sighed again and looked at Eun Young. "Fine! Only until Christmas morning and then you guys are over...! Understood!"

 

 

Kai's mother and Eun Young joined the men a few minutes later. Kai stood up and went to Eun Young and hugged her. 

"Kai... your parents..." Eun Young said as she tried to pry off from his touch. 

"I miss you a lot..." Kai whispered in her ear. 

Eun Young tried to pry him off but he insisted. Then, his father cleared his throat and Kai rolled his eyes. He grabbed her hand and let her sit before taking his seat. 

"Are you okay? Your eyes are puffy and red..." Kai said as he caressed her cheeks. 

Eun Young held his hand and pulled it away from her face. "Kai... I'm a little light-headed. Can we go home...?" she whispered a lie. 

He placed a hand over her forehead as he rubbed her back. "Okay. Let's go."

Kai turned to his parents and told them that Eun Young felt sick and he will send her home right away. His parents nodded. Kai helped Eun Young to stand up and he held her walk to the car. 

Kai opened the door for her and put on her seatbelt. Kai hopped into the car, fastened his seatbelt, started the engine and drove off to her house. 

 

Along the way, Eun Young pretended to be in sleep. Kai suddenly held her hand and kissed it every now and then. 

"Did my mom make you cry again babe?" he asked. 

Then silence conquered them. Eun Young was relief to the fact that her face faced the other side so the back of her head faced him. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she sobbed quietly in the car.

"Did she say horrible things to you again?" he asked again.

Tears fell down more and more. 

I have to leave you Kai... For better and for worse. You and I, we are never meant to be... It hurts to say those words but God forbids.. Things are slipping right out of our hands. 

"I'm here for you. Please stay strong for us. Just please don't leave me..." he pleaded.

Everything will fall to its right places, Kai. Just as you said. Just as you said even though you never know what's coming...

Eun Young cried silently as Kai drove swiftly to her house. 

I'm sorry. I love you.