CHAPTER TWO

STONED.

 

 

The next thing Bang saw was…his bedroom ceiling. In a panic, Bang jumped out of his bed and spun around a couple times, looking around his bedroom like it was his first time ever standing in it. Bang felt as if he had been asleep for days. He fell onto the computer chair directly behind him and ran his fingers through his hair, trying to piece together what he remembered from before waking up just then. Bang jumped to his feet again when a flashback of Zelo’s hidden house within a house came ramming to the forefront of his mind. Bang started pacing around his bedroom, remembering the ominous conversation he had overheard between Hyo Shin and Zelo. Next, he recalled the moment Hyo Shin threw him to the ground and pulled a sword on him. Who the hell fights with swords in 2014 anyway? Bang suddenly remembered Uko. Rushing out of his room like a wild horse, Bang started yelling around the house for his little sister to answer him. Finally after about a minute of recklessly running around and screaming, Bang met eyes with Uko, who was coming in from the backyard with their step-mother.

big-korean-drama-2.jpg

“Quit screaming, you sound like a madman.” Their step-mother snapped, walking in a step behind Uko.

“Uko, are you okay?” Bang jolted out the words.

“Yes…why?” Uko answered.

“Yesterday…” Bang started to wonder if it was all a dream. The confused yet casual look on Uko’s face had him questioning it all even more.

“That was so embarrassing how you passed out in the bathroom. If you were feeling sick after eating you could have just said you were ready to leave.” Uko tried not to sound too hard on Bang since she was still just thankful he had accompanied to her friend’s house in the first place. Bang nodded slowly, realizing the cover story that had obviously been fed to Uko.

“What happened after I passed out?”

“I had to come pick you both up, that’s what happened.” Their step-mother said, flashing her half down manicure. “It took me so long to get an appointment at that salon and it was all for nothing, thanks to your weak stomach.” She continued, handing Uko her lunch box for school.

“I don’t have a weak stomach.” Bang argued. “And besides, you said it was errands keeping you busy, not a nail job.”

“I had already finished my errands for the day. I just wanted a little me time.”

“We’re sorry.” Uko chimed in sweetly.

“I don’t blame you, honey.” Their step-mother made sure to cut a sharp eye at Bang.

“Hyori’s Uncle was pretty annoyed and I heard him tell Hyori not to invite people over anymore.” Uko’s genuine sadness made both Bang and the step-mother sigh.

“I’ll make sure to send something nice to her house and I bet her Uncle will change his mind.” The step-mother bent down to be eye to eye with the sad girl.

“I don’t think so.” Uko admitted, pointing at the clock. “I’m ready to go, mom.” She waved a goodbye in Bang’s direction.

“Oh, I have to go too.” Bang said under his breath. Uko and the step-mother both did a double take and gave Bang surprised expressions as they walked over to the door.

“You’re going to…where?” The step-mother asked.

“School.” Bang answered.

“Repeat that.”

“SCHOOL.” Bang said it again, slowly like the woman had a hearing problem.

“Two days in a row, that’s different for you.”

“I’m happy for you, bro.” Uko gave a cute thumbs up.

“Make a habit out of it. Your father will be pleased.” The step-mom said, just before ushering Uko out before her.

            Once the door shut behind the two girls, Bang dashed back up to his room, skipping about four steps. Uko and the fake mom had been pleasantly surprised that Bang planned on going to school two days in a row, but little did they know his reason for going didn’t involve education, textbooks, finals or sports…Bang just wanted to find Zelo. Bang spent about ten seconds washing off in the shower and then he practically tossed his uniform on his still damp body. Feeling like he had not a single second to waste, Bang neglected to make himself any food and even forgot to lock the house door on his way out.

“You better be there.” Bang mumbled to himself when he power walked past Zelo’s house. Initially, Bang had planned on going there to confront Zelo, instead of school. But something told Bang that he probably wouldn’t even get through the front door, especially if Hyo Shin was there. “What the hell happened?” Bang continued to talk to himself while he waited for the light at the crosswalk to change. A couple of younger boys gave Bang odd looks and whispered jokes about him. “You’ll start to go crazy in a couple years too.” Bang told them right before taking off across the street. It wasn’t until Bang was around the corner from the school that he pulled out his phone, intending to check the time. However, the first thing Bang saw on his lock screen was an new message alert from an unknown number.

DON’T COME BACK TO MY HOUSE

            Bang stopped walking while he read the message over and over, scanning the number he had never seen before. Bang figured it had to be Zelo’s number and quickly saved it under the name “blonde giraffe”. Bang realized the message had been sent just an hour after Bang had left Hyori’s tea party, which was only a short while after he had found the hidden portion of the home.

Hey where the hell are you?

Tell me.

You need to explain what happened last night.

            Bang hardly left any time in between his three messages. After sending the last text, he started walking towards the school again, passing some students on the way who looked just as surprised as Uko and pretend mom had.

“You’re back again?” The snooty girl who called Bang out the day before called as he walked by swiftly.

“Still lopsided.” Bang shot back, not even sparing her a glance.

“No they aren’t, you .” The girl screamed.

            Once Bang was through the front doors of his school, he wondered about what exactly he was going to say or do to Zelo when he found him. Part of Bang (a large part) just wanted to deck him right in the face just for being such a burden in the first place. If Zelo had never been getting bullied when Bang had walked down the halls yesterday, none of this would have ever happened and Bang wouldn’t even have had to come to school today. But then again…maybe it would have happened anyway. Bang wasn’t a big believer in fate and so he also had a part of him that was shaken and thought it could have all been planned…everything from the bullying incident to he and his sister winding up in Zelo’s house.

            For almost an hour, Bang searched his school up and down, even discovering new areas he had never seen. Over and over, Bang stopped students he didn’t know to ask if they knew Zelo, when he usually arrived to school and so on. No one knew anything and most of the students were just shocked that Bang was speaking and moving at a speed faster than that of a glacier, which was his usual pace.

“That name doesn’t even ring a bell.” One of the first students Bang asked had answered. Bang groaned and leaned head first on a wall, remembering that Zelo was in fact a new student and that it wasn’t likely many people knew him. It didn’t help that Bang didn’t even know the kid’s last name.

I’m at the school. You need to meet me, Zelo.

I’m getting angrier, I was going to spare you a punch to the gut…now I’m not so sure.

DAMMIT SHOW YOURSELF

            Bang walked to the school’s football field and sat in the bleachers on the home side. Tired of searching for Zelo, tired of getting no help from students and no reply from the number he had assumed belonged to Zelo. Sitting there alone and annoyed, Bang pulled his phone out again and shamelessly checked up on Sooyoung’s SNS activity. Sooyoung had posted a couple pictures of her at a baseball game with an elderly man beside her in each one. The elderly man had sagging skin and a ert’s grin. In the second picture, the man was trying to reach his boney arms around Sooyoung’s back.

“Sooyoung, what the hell? You left me to date a living fossil?” Bang exclaimed. “He’s so rich that his age doesn’t matter? Have you been written into the will already?” Bang scoffed at the creepy smile on the old man’s face and cursed him. “Sooyoung is going to take all your money when you die and send for me. We’ll wear white to your funeral, hand in hand.” Bang commented, scrolling down slowly.

“Oh…” Bang said stupidly when he read the status update that came just before the photos of Sooyoung at the game.

So grateful to my father’s old baseball coach for inviting us out to an exciting game. HOME RUN! Kekeke

“I guess that makes more sense.” Bang nodded, shutting off his phone. Bang let out as exasperated breath as he stared blankly ahead at the football field. In truth, Bang was afraid of whatever threat Hyo Shin had spoken about, however, Bang was more uneasy with the fact that Hyo Shin had pulled a sword on him just after speaking about not letting any secrets get out. Obviously, if Hyo Shin had been trying to kill Bang, it didn’t work…and clearly he knew some small bit of their secret, which in Bang’s mind, meant he wasn’t safe. How was he to know that at any given moment that sword wielding madman wasn’t going to jump out at him and slice his head clean off? Bang was just to starting to picture it when someone’s voice alerted him.

“Hey…”

            Bang was on his feet and facing the pair of boys right away. “What?” Bang asked defensively. The two boys in school uniforms, Daehyun on the left and Youngjae on the right exchanged sneaky looks with one another before either of them actually spoke.

“We heard you’re looking for someone.” Youngjae said slyly, purposely trying to look mysterious by rubbing his chin.

“Youngjae! I said I was going to do that move.” Daehyun socked his friend in the arm.

“You got to say hey.” Youngjae said, punching back.

“Well, you were just staring at him.”

“I was waiting for you to say something.” Youngjae defended himself against the more aggressive, louder boy. Daehyun socked his friend in the arm again and furrowed his brows just as he looked back to the perplexed Bang. “Hey, we heard you looking for someone.” Daehyun copied Youngjae’s words, even mimicking his chin rubbing move.

“Daehyun!” Youngjae complained, chopping the back of the other boy’s neck. “You’re ruining everything, we look stupid now.”

“Yeah.” Bang agreed lightly.

“Stop shouting at me, Youngjae, you’re the one that stole my line.”

“Liar.”

“Thief.”

“Idiot.”

“Thief.”

“Idiot.”

“Thief.”

“Liar.”

Both boys stopped shouting and locked hands in a shoving match, both trying to push the other off the bleacher.

daehyun_bap.png

“Uh, do you know Zelo? The new kid?” Bang said, interrupting their quarrel. Daehyun and Youngjae pulled a part and pointed their index fingers at Bang, speaking in unison.

“Hey, we heard you were looking for someone.” They said. Bang could see them about to strike up another round.

“Don’t fight. Not yet.” Bang took a step closer to the pair and looked both of them in the eye one.

“Don’t look at us like that.” Daehyun remarked, looking uncomfortable.

“You know Zelo, right? I need to see that kid.”

“So what if we know him?” Daehyun crossed his arms, taking a bigger step to Bang.

“Is he here at school? Or did he stay home? I gotta talk to him.”

“Why?” Daehyun leaned forward with a taunting look on his face. Bang breathed a frustrated huff through his nose and bit his lip. Bang knew that this loudmouth boy was playing around with him.

“Because I said so.” Bang answered sharply. Daehyun took a step back and jabbed his index finger towards Bang, all wide eyed and shocked. “Youngjae, he thinks he’s tougher than me? Did you hear him? I’ve been challenged.” Daehyun used his free hand to pull on Youngjae’s collar as if Youngjae wasn’t already there and fully aware of what was being said.

“Daehyun, shut up and just say what we talked about before Himchan shows up and scolds us.” Youngjae rolled his eyes, still letting Daehyun yank his collar.

“Hey! Don’t act tough, it doesn’t suit you.” Daehyun said, trying to pull off a cool, collected posture while still being an to Bang.

“Look, if you can’t tell me where the giraffe kid is then get the hell out of my way. You’re loud and annoying and it’s too early for that.” Bang stared Daehyun down. Slowly, Daehyun’s eyed widened again like they were about to swell right out of their sockets. Not used to being picked on by anyone other than Hyo Shin and occasionally Youngjae, Daehyun just shook his finger at Bang’s unfeeling, irritated face. “Hey!” Daehyun exclaimed.

“Dammit, you’re a pest.” Bang said just above a whisper. Bang didn’t really know if the pair of schoolboys really knew anything about where and when he could find Zelo, but he also didn’t have the patience to deal with them any longer. Deciding to label them as some pranksters who had just gotten word of his searching, Bang started to walk right past them, shoulder checking Daehyun in the process.

“Whoa.” Youngjae said, visibly surprised at how bold Bang was…maybe even a little impressed.

18359_youngjae.jpg

“Hey! You jerk, I’ll kill you.” Daehyun yelled at Bang’s back.

“Promise?” Bang replied, not even bothering to look back.

“Daehyun, just hurry up and say what we planned before he leaves.” Youngjae said, giving his friend about thirty chops to the neck.

“Stop hitting me, you thief.”

“Say it! I bet Himchan is going to show up any minute.” Youngjae persisted. Bang slowed his walk. Although he didn’t know or particularly care who this Himchan guy was, he could admit he was still a little curious as to why the pair of boys had sought him out in the first place. Did they really know Zelo? Were they possible the ‘others’ Hyo Shin and Zelo had spoken about last night? Just before Bang reached the end of the bleachers, he heard Youngjae shout at him.

“Stay away from Zelo if you wanna live.” Youngjae had shouted.

“Youngjae!” Daehyun nearly exploded.

“You took too long. Get over it, now let’s go before Himchan finds out we lied.”

“We were supposed to freak him out so he’d stop looking for Zelo. He’s not even scared of us, it didn’t work.” Daehyun mouthed a cuss at Bang’s back.

“Who cares? This was a dumb idea anyway. We couldn’t slept in longer instead.”

“I’m going to tell Himchan it was your idea.”

“You better not.”

“Let me borrow your cell phone so I can tell him.”

“You idiot.”

            “Shut up!” Bang roared, totally fed up with the duo’s shenanigans. Walking with a vengeance, Bang made his way back over to the two boys. Daehyun gulped, ready for whatever Bang was about to do. “Tell me where the hell I can find Zelo before I mop these bleachers with both of you.” Bang ordered. After dealing with all of Zelo’s antics the day before, sitting through a unplanned diner gathering, getting himself trapped in some weird spy base and having a blade pulled on him, the last thing Bang was in the mood for was the foolishness that was Daehyun and Youngjae.      

“No.” Daehyun barked back.

“Why do wanna find him anyway? We just told you he’s dangerous, but you already know that, don’t you?” Youngjae said, raising his eyebrow on the last part. Bang didn’t even register the subliminal message Youngjae was attempting to send and just went on yelling at them.

“That freaking beanstalk and his Uncle have a lot of explaining to do.” Bang recalled Hyo Shin pouncing over to him and throwing him on the ground…he was so strong. Not to mention the fact that he pulled a sword on Bang and that he talked about something really bad coming to the city. As uneasy as that made Bang... he had already made up his mind to get to the bottom of the whole thing, which ironically made him even more uneasy…it had been a while since he had put so much effort into anything. A good six months to be exact.

“My point exactly. The kid and his whole family are dangerous, so you should stay the hell away. Or you and your little sister could wind up in a lot of trouble.” Youngjae shrugged. Before Youngjae could turn his back on Bang or even neck chop Daehyun one more time, Bang grabbed him by the collar and yanked him closer.

“Did you just threaten my family?” Bang finally was able to read between the lines. Clearly these two knew Zelo and Hyo Shin and were doing some spy work of their own.

“You know Hyo Shin and Zelo. You know I was at their house yesterday.” Bang said.

“Let him go.” Daehyun said, shoving Bang away from his friend. Youngjae and Daehyun braced themselves a little, not wanting to fight Bang, but ready to. Youngjae’s cell phone started to ring and both boys looked like they had just seen a ghost. “Is that Hyo Shin or Himchan?” Daehyun asked.

“Shut up.” Youngjae hissed.

“Well, he already knows we know him.” Daehyun moaned. Bang took advantage of their bickering and managed to snatch the phone from Youngjae’s palm. Giggling like a goofy kid, Bang dashed up the bleachers, trying to both avoid the boys chasing him and answer the phone at the same time. Just as both boys easily cornered Bang, he pressed the phone to his ear.

“Hello…Zelo?” Bang said, out of breath. There was a hint of a reply on the other end before the phone short circuited and shocked the palm of Bang’s hand. Bang dropped the phone and a couple sparks flew out of it.

“My phone. How much cash do you have on you? You’re paying me back.” Youngjae just happened to have his receipt handy.

            “Well, well, well.” Someone said. Daehyun and Youngjae groaned when they saw Himchan come walking up the bleachers, looking pissed.

Himchan-bap-EB-B9-84-EC-97-90-EC-9D-B4-E

 

“Dammit.” They both said. Right behind the bright blonde Himchan was a fourth boy, also in a uniform just like the other three. Daehyun and Youngjae cut the other guy sharp looks.

“What the heck, Jongup? You were supposed to call us if Himchan came?” Daehyun pointed down at the fourth boy, looking half angry, half nervous. The fourth boy, Jongup looked back at Daehyun with a confused expression, laughing a little.

“I did. Didn’t you hear me calling from the quad?” Jongup was serious. Youngjae just rolled his eyes at the airhead.

“I meant to call us on the phone, you clown.” Daehyun started looking around for something to throw at Jongup. He settled for his own shoe. Jongup just barely missed the shoe.

“Do you not want those anymore?” Jongup asked seriously.

“How can someone be so dumb?” Daehyun helplessly asked.

“Enough.” Himchan said, reaching the three of them with Jongup several steps behind, already trying on Daehyun’s shoe. Bang looked between all four boys, wondering which of them he was going to have to beat up for an answer as to where he could find Zelo.

jongup.jpg

“Hey, do do…” Bang started to ask Himchan, but the guy cut him off before he could finish.

“Yes I know who Zelo the giraffe is. And no I won’t tell you where to find him. Don’t bother us anymore. Zelo doesn’t want to be found.” Himchan said, not even blinking once. “Thanks to you, we’ll all probably have to leave again.” Himchan added, just as coldly.

“What the heck are you even talking about? I’m the one who’s burdened by this whole thing.” Bang snapped back, already just as frustrated with Himchan as he was with the others.

“Whatever.” Himchan sighed, shaking his head at Bang like he couldn’t even stand the sight of him. Bang was about to yell something, but again, Himchan cut him off.

“Youngjae, Daehyun, you guys are in trouble.”

“You didn’t tell Hyo Shin, did you?” Youngjae fretted, jumping over a couple bleachers to get closer to Himchan. Himchan rubbed at his forehead like a fed up father and answered Youngjae quickly. “Telling Hyo Shin would get me in just as much trouble as you two. Let’s just go.” Himchan said, walking down the bleachers. Jongup followed behind with one shoe on his hand and two on his feet.

“Alright, alright.” Youngjae said, leaving as well. Bang had a stare down with Daehyun before the loudmouth went on with his crew. “Really, he doesn’t want to be found.” Daehyun said calmly. “Inviting you over was a mistake on his part, he knows that. Just forget about it all before things get even more complicated.” Daehyun added. Bang watched the four guys leave. Once all four of them were out of sight, Bang wondered if they too were new students just like Zelo. Taking a seat on a bleacher, Bang thought about Zelo. The giraffe was so annoying and talkative, but also so sincere and kind. Bang knew how desperately Zelo had been hoping to become friends with him and in return Bang had been really rude to him and his own Uncle scolded him for it. Feeling a small amount of pity for the kid, Bang sighed. In the back of his mind, Bang actually did hope Zelo had to move again, because it would be nearly impossible for Bang to see him at school and act as if though he knew nothing. However, the main thing that bothered Bang now was these four boys who had come to Bang, hoping to scare him away from getting any answers about Zelo and whatever threat was coming to the city. How did they know Zelo and why would they all have to move along with one another? Were they acting on their own or had Hyo Shin or even Zelo sent them.

            “Crap.” Bang said at the sound of the school bell. Standing to his feet, Bang began his walk to homeroom. The whole day had passed by painstakingly slow for Bang. Class period after period seemed to drag on for what seemed like an eternity. Bang had been having an internal debate with himself the whole day, even when he ate alone under a tree at lunch. It wasn’t until the last few seconds of his last class that Bang decided upon his next course of action. Bang had made up his mind to head over to Zelo’s house after school and no matter who answered, he was going to get some answers. Bang felt as if his sanity was on the line here. For his own peace of mind and because he really wanted to go back to doing nothing all day, Bang had to end this whole thing. Just as the final bell rang, Bang got up and sidestepped a few of his classmates to get out the door. He shoved his book bag in his locker and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, surprised to see a new text message from his friend, Insoo. Insoo was once again inviting him to his brother’s welcoming party later that night. Bang sent a simple “sorry” back to Insoo and then dashed out of the school gates, bumping into a tall, tan skinned boy on the way out.

exo_k_kai_by_alightoflove-d50eyq8.jpg

“My bad.” Bang said, spinning around. The tan boy, Kai, said nothing. Bang spun back around when he realized Kai wasn’t going to say anything back and pressed on, determined to confront Zelo and his Uncle. Kai pulled a cell phone from his uniform pocket and made a call, still eyeing Bang. “It’s me.” Kai said. “Yeah, this school has a lot of potential. I’d be willing to bet one of the Zodiac Stones is here.” Kai started walking. “I’m done playing dress up, I’m on my way back.” Kai hung up then, starting to take off his uniform as he walked. Starting with the jacket, then the tie. Kai ed the first three buttons on his dress shirt and then shook all the preppy style from his hair. A small group of senior girls blushed as he walked past them.

“Are you new?” One of the girls had the courage to speak up.

“Hang on to this for me.” Kai said, flinging his jacket at the girl, who caught it happily.

“I’ll never forget you.” The girl squealed.

            In an empty classroom, Himchan and his crew met to called Hyo Shin using Himchan’s phone.

“Still can’t believe you fried my phone.” Youngjae groaned from a random desk towards the middle of the class.

“Serves you right.” Himchan hissed as he leaned against the wall. Jongup and Daehyun stood beside each other towards the back of the class, looking out the window at a group of girls.

“Her head is oddly shaped, that one has man hands and that one looks like a chicken.” Daehyun judged them all one by one. “This school doesn’t have any good prospects.”

“I want chicken.” Jongup commented.

“What does it matter? We’ll have to leave anyway.” Himchan griped.

“You really think so?” Youngjae fell back in the chair, deflated. Himchan was about to answer bluntly when he noticed all three boy’s helpless expressions. Himchan decided to spare his kids just a bit.

“I don’t know.”

“I want to finally stay somewhere for more than a month.” Daehyun lost interest in the girls and slid into a desk.

“Me too.” Jongup said. Youngjae just let his head fall onto the desk, ignoring the pain.

“Please don’t act as if that didn’t hurt, Youngjae.” Daehyun said.

“I feel nothing.” Youngjae replied. Himchan started to dial Hyo Shin’s number then, the sound of the numbers being entered on the pad alerted the trio of younger boys and they tensed a little.

“It’s me, Himchan.” Himchan said once Hyo Shin answered.

“This is all Zelo’s fault…” Daehyun muttered.

“He’s only a kid.” Youngjae still had his head down when he spoke.

“I was a kid once.” Jongup added casually.

“Your attempt to erase his memories didn’t work, Hyo Shin. He remembers everything. We found him running around school asking students if they knew Zelo.” Himchan explained the situation to Hyo Shin calmly. Hyo Shin had a tendency to lose his temper easily, especially when it came to things as important as their mission…and his burning hatred for his rival, Edward, but that was another story. Hyo Shin never really cared about how loud, argumentative or immature the boys were, as long as they knew how buckle down when it came to training and their mission. Knowing that, Himchan went on speaking calmly, trying not to say anything that would get Hyo Shin more on edge than he already had been from the moment he saw Bang anf Uko in his house.

“We tried persuading him to…” Himchan started but was immediately cut off by Hyo Shin.

“You what?” Hyo Shin was so loud even the three boys not on the other end of the phone could hear him, and cringed when Himchan’s usual blank poker face cracked for a second and actually showed some trace of worry.

“I mean, we didn’t really mean to...it wasn’t as if…we just happened to run into him was all.” Himchan tried to squeeze in his explanations where he could. ‘

“Yes, sir, it was a mistake. It was my fault.” Himchan said, half turning from the other three boys in the class.

“Yes, sir. We’ll do our best.” Himchan hung up and slid the phone down in his pocket.

“He already knows Bang is on his way there. He wants us to keep him busy somehow while he gets in touch with Edward’s branch for help.” Himchan tried not to look affected at all by the scolding he had just gotten.  Heck, he even smiled a little.

“Ugh, those guys? What do we need them for?” Daehyun exclaimed.

“Because Hyo Shin can’t erase memories. Edward can.” Himchan answered. “You know that.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Daehyun pouted at the thought of going to that other crew for help.

“They already think we’re a bunch of morons. Agh, this is going to .” Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, well, there isn’t much we can do about it.” Himchan shrugged.

“We can beat up Zelo.” Daehyun said.

“True.” Youngjae agreed.

“Shut up, you two. Let’s just go stop this guy before he gets to Hyo Shin and causes even more trouble.” Himchan started out of the door. Jongup, Youngjae and lastly Daehyun followed closely behind.

            Insoo peeked through the curtains, watching as Gunwoo drove up the driveway. “Ah, that must be his new car. He had it flown over with him.” Insoo commented, impressed. A couple of his younger cousins gave impressed “whoa’s” as well, hesitating to come out of their hiding spots.

“Stay hidden, kids.” One of Insoo’s several Uncles said. The whole party laid in hiding, waiting for Gunwoo to walk in so they could surprise him and kick off his welcome home party. Gunwoo got out of the pretty, dark red car and his excited mother came cheesing out of the passenger side. “Mom’s giving us the signal.” Insoo said, running back to his original hiding spot behind the kitchen wall. Insoo checked his phone quickly once he was hidden again, thinking that maybe Bang had agreed to come at the last minute. But of course, he hadn’t. Whatever. Insoo wasn’t going to let Bang’s indifference about everything spoil the fact that his big brother was finally home from grad school. Insoo’s relationship with his brother had always been strong. The two had so much in common that even their differences were similar. Gunwoo was always kind and supportive towards Insoo, even when he was busy studying nearly every day through his high school years. And Insoo always looked up to and respected how mature yet down to earth his older brother was. It was as if nothing could ever change who Gunwoo was as a person. No matter the circumstances, Gunwoo was always a great brother and son, always that guy the people who loved him could depend on. Slipping the phone back into his pocket, Insoo smiled wide and jumped out to surprise his older brother along with the rest of the family.

“Welcome back.” They all yelled. Gunwoo stayed still for a while, not really reacting at all to the sight of his family and friends welcoming him back with decorations, food, smiles and love. In that long moment of stillness from Gunwoo, Insoo instantly knew…something was different about his brother.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0lnHyqwDRgRa9U5dHeGk

“Wow, thank you so much. I’ve missed you all.” Gunwoo said with a straight face, nodding slowly. “You most of all, brother.” Gunwoo said to Insoo, finally smiling wide. Gunwoo dropped his three bags down where he stood and started walking around to greet everyone that had come to see him. Only when Gunwoo loosened up a bit did the party attendees seem to do the same.  As people mingled with one another, laughed and ate good food, Insoo watched his brother closely. Gunwoo was making his rounds, speaking to everyone with a bright yet reserved smile on his face. Still, Insoo felt as if something was off about his brother. Gunwoo had always been a more laid back and modest guy, so it wasn’t as if Insoo had expected him to come in doing cartwheels, he just knew something was different. However, Insoo decided to push that theory to the back of his mind and instead rushed over to his brother when he saw he was finally alone in the middle of the living room. Even as Insoo walked over to his brother, he saw a hint of discomfort on Gunwoo’s face, like he wasn’t enjoying himself in the least.

“It’s really good to see you again.” Insoo said, grabbing his brother in a bear hug. Gunwoo didn’t hug back for the first few seconds. The hug was practically over when he decided to return it.

“Yeah, it’s great to finally be back. Honestly, I didn’t expect any of this.” Gunwoo spoke in his usual cool, low voice that made everything sound fascinating. Insoo grinned and nodded, taking a good look around at the party his mother and Aunt had put together.

“You’ve gotten taller.” Gunwoo noticed.

“And more handsome.”

“Much less modest, I see.” They laughed together and then suddenly, they hugged again, just happy to be looking at one another face to face.

“Do you have a girlfriend?” Gunwoo asked, walking towards the kitchen with his brother.

“Yeah, one for every day of the week.”

“Hey, I taught you better than that.” Gunwoo chopped him on the back of the neck. “You have to space them out one every other day.” Gunwoo joked, taking a seat at a bar stool by the island in the kitchen. Other family members in the kitchen surrounded Gunwoo in a friendly way and began blasting questions at him. Questions about his studies, professors, friends, career plans. Gunwoo answered everyone individually, beginning to seem a little more familar to Insoo. Until.

“Do we have any wine?” Gunwoo suddenly asked, swiveling to one side on the stool. The bulk of the relatives around him gave puzzled laughs.

“Funny.” Insoo said from where he stood. Gunwoo stayed silent, waiting for someone to answer his question.

“Gunwoo, you know mom doesn’t keep alcohol in the house.” Insoo said, not understanding his brother’s joke.

“Right. I was just joking.” Gunwoo raised his eye brows and swiveled back around like he had never asked the question in the first place. “So, what were you asking me, Auntie?” Gunwoo said. Insoo stared at his brother’s back, starting to question if maybe it was just him that was being weird and not Gunwoo at all. Just then, some of the relatives spread themselves away from Gunwoo so the pretty girl in the doorway could get a good look at him. “It’s about time.” One of Gunwoo’s Uncles said, checking a wrist watch that wasn’t even there. The girl in the doorway gazed at her boyfriend, Gunwoo with adoring eyes when she spoke.

“Trust me, I wanted to be here earlier but…” She started.

“It doesn’t matter.” Gunwoo said, getting up and going into a full on make out session with the girl. When he finally pulled away, he looked deep into her eyes and pulled her in tighter for a bear hug. As uncomfortable as the make out made some of the relatives, they still clapped for the couple’s reunion. “Dasom, you don’t know how much I’ve wanted to do that.” Gunwoo said, letting her go. Dasom was quiet at first. The girl inspected her boyfriend, looking him up and down like he was a stranger that just happened to be standing too close.

“You kiss different.” She whispered, just as he grabbed her hand.

“And?” He whispered back. Dasom let Gunwoo pull her back to his bar stool where she stood anxiously next to him, unsure of what vibe she was or wasn’t getting from her boyfriend of two years.

sistar-dasom.jpg

“Hi.” Insoo said quietly when Dasom just happened to make eye contact with him. Dasom gave Insoo a stunning smile and nodded back to him happily. “Hey, good to see you.” She said briskly since most of her attention was still on the stories Gunwoo was telling the relatives around him. Insoo breathed heavily when Dasom looked away from him, secretly admiring her…like he always had. Upset with himself that his feelings for Dasom hadn’t faded, Insoo ducked out of the kitchen and into the hallway for a moment. It was around the fourth month of Gunwoo and Dasom’s relationship that Insoo started to realize he had a crush on her, which despite his liking, had actually blossomed into something stronger. In the months before Gunwoo had left for grad school, Dasom spent a lot more time with the family and it was during those times that Insoo started to believe he was in love with her. One of the main reasons Insoo was glad Gunwoo went away was because he didn’t have to see him and Dasom together so much anymore. Insoo had hoped that when Gunwoo finally came back, those feelings of love for Dasom would have just magically disappeared like ghost. But they hadn’t.

            Insoo fell lightly backwards onto the hallway wall and sighed. “I need a girlfriend.” He said.

“I’ll be your girlfriend.” A little girl clutching a stuffed hippo said from beside him.

“Thank you, that’s sweet. But I’m pretty sure we’re related.” Insoo let the girl down gently.

“Actually my dad is just a family friend.” She replied, winking.

“Well, you’re like nine years old, so…”

“Nine and a half.” The girl corrected. Insoo patted the girl on her head and walked away. He could hear Dasom and Gunwoo gushing about how difficult it was to be away from one another so he made a quick turn to the right and headed back to the living room.

            Insoo spent about an hour in the living room, having small talk with other relatives who mostly just changed the subject to somehow be about Gunwoo. Insoo got up to get himself a plate of food and nearly stumbled over his brother’s bags that were still in the middle of the room. “Oh, honey, take those up to Gunwoo’s room for me.” Insoo’s mom called from the other side of the room. Insoo nodded and grabbed all Gunwoo’s luggage, taken aback by how heavy one of the bags was. Insoo got to his brother’s room at the top of the stairs and saw it was cracked open, so he lightly kicked it open the rest of the way and gasped when he saw Gunwoo and Dasom going to second base on the bed.

“Oh my God.” Dasom said, getting from under Gunwoo right away. “I’m so embarrassed.” She turned completely away from both boys, hiding the side of her face with her straight brown hair. Gunwoo stayed on the center of his bed, half shirtless with a devilish expression for his brother. Like a kid who was stealing money from his mother’s purse…while looking her right in the eye.

“I...I…apologize.” Insoo stammered, taking a step out of the door and then back in when he realized he was still holding Gunwoo’s stuff.

“I know you’re not used to me being here, but I still prefer it better when you knock.” Gunwoo said, pulling his shirt all the way down.

“I just saw it was half open already so…”

“It was not.” Gunwoo cut in sharply, making both Insoo and Dasom tense. In just those three words, Gunwoo had managed to sound colder and more peeved than either of them had ever heard.

“It was.” Insoo said.

“You’re lying.” Gunwoo accused. “Just because you aren’t dating doesn’t mean you can watch me and my girlfriend…”

“Gunwoo, that’s not what happened.” Dasom intervened softly.

“Can I just talk to my brother, please?” Gunwoo shot her a friendly look that actually made her even more uncomfortable.

“I’m going to get a drink.” Dasom left the room without another word, almost afraid to look back at Gunwoo when he said he’s be right behind her. Gunwoo got off the bed and walked past his younger brother with an elastic looking smile.

“Just leave my stuff wherever.” Gunwoo said.

“Okay.” Insoo answered, moving out of the way. “See you downstairs.”

            Insoo threw a bit of a fit a just let all of Gunwoo’s luggage drop to the floor. One of the smaller bags made such a loud thud that Insoo decided to be nosy and take a look at what could have been inside the bag. “What the hell…” Insoo kneeled down to the bag but jumped when he heard a bunch of kids come running down the hallway.

“Insoo, Insoo, come on!” One of them exclaimed.

“We’re going to have cake now.” The other two kids said at the same time. Insoo rose up and kicked the bag aside, still curious.

“I’m coming.” He walked out and down the stairs with the kids, not really in the mood for cake or a party anymore.

            Bang was boarder line sprinting after school, hoping to get to Zelo’s house before running into any more annoying road blocks. Bang stopped at an intersection crosswalk and waited a long five minutes for the light to change. While standing there impatiently, he checked his phone again. There were no new messages from the mystery number or Insoo…however, he did see some new activity on Sooyoung’s SNS account that dealt him a crushing blow. Sooyoung had uploaded a new photo in a y black dress that apparently was a gift from her new boyfriend. Bang admired his ex in the photo before reading the caption above about forty times.

 ~*~*A FORM-FITTING PRESENT FROM MY BOYFRIEND WHO MISSES ME *~*~ (Long distance relationships are so hard)

            Bang couldn’t believe what he was reading, hence why he read it forty times. By the thirty-eight time, he finally accepted that it was indeed no form of typo or misunderstanding. Sooyoung’s boyfriend, the one she had gotten together with only weeks after breaking up with Bang because she didn’t believe they could handle a long distance relationship…was a long distance relationship. Frozen in place from the realization, Bang missed his chance to cross the street over and over.

“How?” He said to himself. A lot of things started to make sense at that moment. It was obvious now why Sooyoung never had photos with her boyfriend and why he always sent her presents in the mail instead of just giving them to her in person. Bang never thought it was possible for him to be so angry at Sooyoung, but in that moment he was. Was her reason for dumping him a lie then? What was so different about her long distance relationship now? Was this guy her true love or something? Bang felt weak in the knees for a moment and staggered a bit. Resting his back on the light pole, Bang sighed, feeling a mixture of resentment, rejection and stupidity, but most of all, anger. He had spent so much time being depressed and broken up about Sooyoung dumping him, thinking it was his fault somehow. In a way, holding on to the notion that it was all his fault made Bang miss and long for Sooyoung even more. It was hard for Bang to accept that the whole reason for the break up may have been a lie to begin with. Was it possible Sooyoung just didn’t like him anymore? Didn’t like him much to begin with? Had already been interested in her new boyfriend while still dating Bang? How else could such hypocrisy be explained? If Sooyoung really was that kind of person, then it was definitely time for Bang to let her go and move on. Bang finally shoved his phone back in his pocket and walked across the street right in the middle of traffic. Furious drivers, cursed and honked as Bang made his way across the intersection, looking blankly ahead.

“Yongguk, let’s break up. Truthfully, a long distance relationship isn’t something I want.”

            Bang recalled Sooyoung’s words as he reached the other side of the street.

Was it actually just me you didn’t want? Sooyoung? Mom? Is that why you cut me off and left? Bang thought to himself. Once on the opposite side of the street, Bang suddenly didn’t feel like doing much of anything. It wasn’t that his depression was welling up again, he was just really hurt and angry. It had been so long since Bang felt such strong emotions that he almost didn’t even know how to identify them and for a moment thought he was really tired or hungry. Bang finally remembered he had been on his way to confront Zelo and Hyo Shin.

“Maybe tomorrow.” Bang said. Pondering if he even cared anymore, Bang stared at his own reflection in the post office window in front of him. “What the hell is going on?” Bang asked, just wanting to erase his whole encounter with Zelo, Hyo Shin, the four boys at school…and his love for Sooyoung. He just wanted to redo so much of the last year of his life.

“Young man, I need your assistance.” An old woman dressed in all black baggy clothing came up to Bang. There was a thick gray scarf around most of her face but Bang could tell just by her face that she was probably hideous under the scarf.

“Me?”

“Yes, young man. Please me through that dangerous back alley over there.” The woman didn’t wait for Bang to agree, she just snatched his hand and pulled him along with her as she went towards an alley way just feet from the post office. Bang walked behind the woman with an irritated frown. “Shouldn’t I be leading the way if the alley is so dangerous?” He asked.

“Speak up, boy. My hearing is crap.” The old woman said.

“I said…never mind.” Bang had had enough arguing for the day. Once they reached the alley, Bang slipped his hand out of the woman’s and bowed formally. “Have a nice, safe day.”

“Hey, you old hag!” A duo of guys in cheap werewolf masks came running down the alley and snatched the woman’s bag.

“Oh my goodness, I can’t believe it.” The woman shouted dramatically.

“Die old woman, the world belongs to the young.” The boys yelled and hopped in a car parked nearby, speeding off.

“Well, that’s unfortunate.” Bang said, apathetically.

“C’mon, we’re going after those crazy bastards.” The old woman suddenly spoke in a deep, husky voice that caught Bang completely off guard.

“Your voice is almost as low as mine.”

“No time for compliments, boy. We gotta catch those rascals.” The woman tried lightening up her voice that time.

“I really have other things to do, I’m sorry. But I will call the police for you on my way.”

“You jerk! You just let them steal my things and now you wanna leave me here to fend for myself.” Once again, her voice dropped about three octaves. Bang took a big step closer to the woman and grabbed her arm, with a curiously raised brow. “What a deep voice you have.” He said. “And what big muscles you have.” Bang continued.

“I said no time for compliments. Whatever plans you had before will have to wait, sonny.”

“Please excuse what I’m about to do.” Bang said, sliding his hands to the woman’s stomach.

“You .” The woman jumped, laughing a little because Bang’s fingers tickled.

“I felt abs.” Bang gave narrowed his eyes as he gave the woman a full inspection like a dog greeting one of its own for the first time.

“Sonny, you’re making an old woman blush.”

“You aren’t even a woman.” Bang said, yanking the scarf off the woman’s face to reveal a smiling Jongup.

“You?!” Bang exclaimed.

“Hi.” Jongup dropped the act and held up a peace sign.

“You’ve got to be kidding me. What the hell is this all about?”

“Uhm…hold on.” Jongup said, laughing nervously as he dialed a number on his cell. “You guys can come back, he figured it out.”

            Five minutes later the same car that had just sped off with the fake werewolves came back and parked in the exact same spot. Bang wasn’t surprised to see Youngjae step out from the passenger side and Himchan from the driver’s seat. “Somebody tell me what the hell is going on here. You’re drag queens now?” Bang yelled, snatching the girly scarf off the floor and tossing it on Jongup’s head.

“Could it be…was I that pretty?” Jongup wondered aloud. Daehyun came out of the backseat of the car last, still wearing his mask. “I told you guys to let me play the girl. My figure is more womanly.” He whined from behind the mask. Himchan turned and ripped the werewolf mask off Daehyun’s face, giving him a peeved look.

“I’m going to hit you.” Himchan said.

“Don’t.” Daehyun braced himself. Himchan just shook his head and flung the mask across the alley. “This was a ridiculous idea to begin with.” He told them all.

“You’re trying to keep me from getting to Zelo’s house, aren’t you?” Bang said, cracking his knuckles like he was ready for a fight.

“You idiot. Why do you insist on going in the first place? We already told you Zelo and his family are dangerous to those around them. Just forget any of it ever happened and move on.” Himchan said, walking up to Bang until they were nearly nose to nose.

“I plan on moving on…after I get the answers I want.” Bang said, shoving Himchan backwards.

“That makes no sense.” Himchan said, returning the shove. Jongup stepped in between the two boys before any fists were thrown. “Don’t fight.” Jongup said.

“I wasn’t going to.” Himchan moved Jongup out of the way. “Look, Boom, or whatever the hell your name is. You stumbled upon something that nobody in this city other than Zelo, Hyo Shin and us four know about.”

“And little Hyori.” Jongup commented with a smile. “Okay, I’ll be quiet.”

“My point is, this is bigger than anything you can imagine and most of all, and it’s dangerous. If you go to Zelo’s house, you won’t be leaving with answers…if they let you leave at all.” Himchan tried to disguise how frustrated he was, hoping to sound more reasonable than anything.

“What are you trying to say?” Bang asked, not at all persuaded. Himchan and Youngjae both sighed and rubbed at their foreheads.

“Are you that dumb?” Himchan mumbled.

“Let’s just take him there.” Daehyun finally spoke up, sounding slightly cheerful about it. Jongup laughed a little, not picking up on the fact that Daehyun was actually serious.

“Wait…really?” Jongup said.

“Don’t be dumb, Daehyun.” Himchan shook his head, also a little amused.

“You guys, really. I mean, nothing we say is going to stop him. At this point we would have to beat the hell out of him to stop him.” Daehyun plead his case, getting an uninterested look from his friend Youngjae. “We might as well just take him there, let Edward wipe his memory clean and then send him off so we can finally act like this never happen.” Daehyun concluded, looking at each of them ony by one, even Bang.

“Hyo Shin would chop your head off.” Youngjae pointed out.

“Yeah, he’s gonna be mad. But what difference does it make if Bang goes there on his own or we take him? Either way, his memory is going to get erased.”

“Us taking him there will just get it over with quicker.” Himchan understood.

“Exactly.” Daehyun said, looking proud of his idea.

“I never thought I’d say it…but Daehyun makes a good point.” Himchan nodded, patting the loudmouth on the shoulder. Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“If Hyo Shin goes postal on us, you better take all the blame, Daehyun.” He said.

“Move.” Bang said, walking right in between Himchan and Daehyun. “I’m sick of dealing with you four.” Bang started strolling down the alleyway. “I’m not going to sit around and wait for you to deliberate and decide what I can and can’t do. I’m going to Zelo’s house and if you try to stop me, I’ll fight you.” Bang looked over his shoulder on the last part, making sure to look directly at Himchan and Daehyun, figuring the other two weren’t as aggressive.

“Ah, shut up already, tough guy.” Daehyun said.

 “Just get in the car, we’ll take you there ourselves.” Himchan spoke briskly, already moving towards the car he had just parked.

“Shotgun.” Jongup called, running.

“I got a bad feeling about this.” Youngjae said aloud. Daehyun mocked Youngjae as he followed behind him. Bang caught up with Himchan, stepping right in front of him so he couldn’t move any further.

“Now what?” Himchan furrowed his brows.

“No funny business.” Bang said seriously.

“Just get in.” Daehyun yelled from the backseat.

            And so Himchan and his crew, plus Bang drove off, headed to Zelo’s house. Himchan stayed silent as he drove while Jongup played around with the wolf masks. Bang, Daehyun and Youngjae bickered back and forth as they sat uncomfortably close in the backseat of the car.

“Drive faster, Himchan. These two smell bad.” Youngjae moaned, letting his head fall back dramatically.

“Hey! I’m wearing your cologne.” Daehyun exclaimed.

“My grandpa wears the same scent…” Bang commented.

“Nobody asked you.” Daehyun and Youngjae yelled together.

“I think it smells pretty.” Jongup nodded.

“Will you all just be quiet?” Himchan stepped on the gas.

            Hyo Shin and Zelo were in the hidden portion of the home. The two relatives were inside of the vault Bang had seen the previous night. Hyo Shin stood before a mantle with Zelo about a foot to his right. On the mantle were five rigid, oddly shaped and multicolored stones. The Zodiac Stones. (Capricorn, Gemini, Cancer, Aquarius, Taurus) There were empty spots in between the stones, where the other seven were supposed to go. Suddenly, Hyo Shin started snickering to himself. What started as a small, sneaky chuckle turned into a full blown laugh. Hyo Shin even started slapping his knees and wheezing for air.

“Uncle, what’s so funny?” Zelo asked, scratching his head.

“I was just thinking about how we have 5 of the Zodiac Stones and Edward’s branch only has 4.” Hyo Shin answered, wiping a tear from his eyes. “It’s so funny it brings a tear to my eye.” He said, tossing a thumbs up to Zelo.

“Have you forgotten that there are still 3 Zodiac Stones that neither branch has?”

“No…” Hyo Shin pouted after his bubble had been burst by Zelo. Quickly, Hyo Shin pulled out his cell phone and began dialing Edward’s number. “I just wanted to give myself a laugh at Edward’s expense before I called and asked him for help.” Hyo Shin clenched his teeth, not wanting to call his rival for anything other than to tell him how ugly or stupid or annoying he was.

“Uncle, you still haven’t called?” Zelo asked surprised.

“Who are you yelling at?”

“Sorry, I just can’t believe you waited so long.”

“Because Edward is a jerk, who would want to call him?” Hyo Shin tried to explain.

“He’s not that bad, Uncle.”

“He’s a jerk, know-it-all, spoiled, wannabe copycat.” Hyo Shin complained.

“Uncle, you really need to make that call. Edward is the only that can erase memories.”

“He’s not the only one. Any LOCK that graduates to KEY level can erase memories.”

“Well, we don’t know any other KEYS.” Zelo persisted, getting frustrated with his Uncle. Hyo Shin was going to think of another excuse but decided against it and finally pressed the call button. Edward answered on the last ring. Hyo Shin knew he was just trying to piss him off on purpose.

“He won’t answer because it’s me calling.”

“Just wait.” Zelo muttered.

            “Hello, who’s calling?” Edward answered finally, making no attempt to sound as if he had been busy.

“Don’t act like you don’t have caller ID.” Hyo Shin snapped.

“Oh, hello, Hyo Shin. See, the thing is…I delete your number frequently.” Edward replied.

“You jerk.”

“Anyway, what is it? I’m just about to take the boys out to eat.”

“I need a favor.” Hyo Shin said so low even Zelo couldn’t hear him.

“Speak up.” Edward said.

“I. Need. A. Favor.”

“I should’ve known.” Edward smiled on the other end of the phone, loving every minute of Hyo Shin having to swallow his pride. “So what is it?” He went on, trying to sound pressed for time suddenly.

            Hyo Shin really didn’t have much time left to spare and just decided to be honest with his rival and explain the situation. An outsider had become partially aware of their secret and Hyo Shin had tried to erase him memory on his own…and failed. Now, the outside was a liability who needed to taken care of. Edward had the ability to erase memories as a KEY and therefore, was needed. At one point Edward had interrupted Hyo Shin with an obnoxious laugh. “Why the hell would you try to erase someone’s memories? You’re just a LOCK yourself, silly guy.” He had said.

            “So will you help us?” Hyo Shin asked, after finishing his whole breakdown of the situation.

“No.” Edward said easily and hung up.

“What? Edward? Hello?” Hyo Shin shouted.

“He hung up? Did he say yes?” Zelo wondered, nervously playing in his curls.

“That bastard.” Hyo Shin redialed.

“Hello, who’s calling?” Edward answered.

“You know damn well.” Hyo Shin barked.

“Hyo Shin, hi. I can’t really talk at the moment, I’m off to eat with Onew and Taemin.” Edward said, laughing to himself as he walked into the luxurious living room. Taemin and Onew, stopped their video game at the mention of their names.

tumblr_static_taemin.jpg

“What is he talking about?” Taemin wondered.

“Edward, you’re treating us to food? Chicken? I’m in the mood for chicken.” Onew spoke next, already running to get his shoes.

“Don’t you get bored of chicken?” Taemin asked, thinking of how many times Onew had eaten chicken just that week. More than eleven.

“Not possible.” Onew shrugged. Edward shushed both boys with a playful smile. Hyo Shin went on yelling at Edward.

“Calm down, Hyo Shin.” Edward held the phone away from his ear.

“Oh, I see, you’re just being mean to Hyo Shin again.” Taemin sighed, shaking his head at Edward’s childish ways.

“So…no chicken?” Onew paused with one shoe on and the other half tied. Hyo Shin tried asking Edward one more time, realizing that he would really have to permanently get rid of Bang if Edward wouldn’t just use KEY ability to erase memories.

“Look, Edward, we’ve really gotten ourselves into a tight spot here and could use your help. It’s not like it takes much for you to erase memories and you aren’t more than an hour away. Just help us this one time for old times sake, then we can go back to never speaking and hating each other.” Hyo Shin said, giving a helpless shrug to Zelo. Edward was silent for a while, not really thinking about helping, but just watching Taemin play his video game.

“Hyo Shin, my old friend. I won’t help you.” Edward said. Taemin tossed Edward a disappointed expression AND Onew just went on complaining about chicken in the background.

224.jpg

“You and your branch should know better than to invite outsiders into your house anyway. Do what you have to do to get rid of the liability.” Edward went on speaking, saying mostly all the things Hyo Shin knew he would say before he had even called. “For old times sake, I won’t report this to the higher ups. Good day, my friend. I’ll save you some chicken.” Edward hung up.

“Are we going to get chicken or not?” Onew cried out.

            “He won’t do it.” Hyo Shin said, just before walking out of the vault. Zelo stayed there a few more minutes, feeling guilty.

            Edward leaned on the wall beside where Taemin played video games on the large flat screen TV. “What are you playing?” Edward tried to quickly change the subject when he saw the crooked looking expression Taemin was wearing.

“What did there need your help with?” Taemin asked.

“Some pesky teenager found out about them.”

“You should erase his memory.” Taemin nagged. Out of all the boys in Edward’s branch, Taemin was the most innocent, the nicest, the peacemaker to some degree.

“I’d rather not.” Edward said, not being able to look Taemin in his sappy, letdown eyes.

“You shouldn’t mention going to get chicken if you don’t intend to.” Onew came and plopped on the couch with a frown.

“Would you get over the chicken already?” Edward tossed a throw pillow at Onew’s head.

“Chicken? No thanks, we had ramyun.” Key, another member of the branch said, walking in with a big smile and shopping bags hanging from both arms. Just a few steps behind was Jonghyun, looking less cheerful than Key. “Thanks for going shopping with me, Jonghyun.” Key gave the buff guy a hard slap to the back.

“Don’t you mean thanks for buying everything?” Jonghyun fell on the couch, purposely smashing Onew under him.

“You didn’t buy everything. I paid for the parking meter.” Key countered, crossing his arms.

“Save it.” Jonghyun moaned, already starting to doze off.

“Get off me.” Onew struggled. Key took a rest right on top of Jonghyun, smashing Onew even more.

“Where’s Henry? I bought him hair gel.” Key started digging through one of the several bags he had.

“You mean I bought it.” Jonghyun added, half asleep.

“Yeah, where is my nephew? I haven’t seen him all day.” Edward pulled himself off the wall.

“Probably upstairs video chatting with his girlfriend.” Taemin said.

“Still? He was chatting with that girl when we left.” Kay wasn’t really all that surprised really. Henry was boarder line obsessed with his girlfriend.

“Young love. How gross.” Jonghyun said in his sleep.

221.jpg

tumblr_msnwn3qwHw1r5kb7po1_500.jpg

            Upstairs Henry was indeed video chatting with his girlfriend. However, it wasn’t a pleasant chat. Henry’s girlfriend had been distant lately and nearly every time they spoke over the phone or through video chat it was awkward and strained.

“Sooyoung, if you want to break up just tell me.” Henry said. Sooyoung flipped her hair and gave a sweet smile to her boyfriend, who had only recently moved so far away. Truthfully, a long distance relationship wasn’t something she wanted at all, but Henry had moved so abruptly that she had never really gotten the chance to talk that over with him. And although Sooyoung didn’t want to admit it, the fact that Henry had moved to her old hometown, the place she had left the first love of her life, didn’t make things any easier. So many old memories of Bang were stirred up every time Henry spoke of places around the city. Sooyoung couldn’t help reminiscing on all the places she and Bang had gone, all the things that had done in that city.

“Henry, that’s not what I want. I’m just really busy lately, more than usual.” Sooyoung lied.

“Sooyoung…” Henry started to say.

“Henry, you’re going to hate me right now but I have to go. I have to help out with this bake sale on campus.” Sooyoung actually didn’t have to be on campus for another two hours but sugar coating everything for Henry was draining her.

“Fine.” Henry signed off the video chat quickly, wanting Sooyoung to feel like the rejected one for once. “I love you.” Henry said only after his screen went black. Henry spun around in his chair and saw fellow branch member, Minho leaning coolly in his doorway.

“Having woman trouble?” Minho inclined.

“How long have you been standing there? Gah, you’re all are so rude here?” Henry exclaimed, throwing a random dirty sock off the floor of his large room at Minho. The sock didn’t even come close to touching Minho.

Henry1.png

“I wasn’t eavesdropping.”

“Yeah right.”

“You think I actually want to watch you and your crush sit and make kissing faces at one another?”

“Sooyoung is more than a crush. And we weren’t making kissing faces.” Henry rolled his eyes.

“Then…” Minho raised an eye brow at Henry, looking partly grossed out and party amused.

“You ert! We weren’t doing that either.”

“Well, I don’t know, young people these days are pretty erted.” Minho laughed.

“You’re just jealous.” Henry gave a devilish grin and fell backwards onto his bed.

minho-wss-fansign-130501-2.jpg

“Jealous? No way. Ladies love me.” Minho was hilariously offended. Minho was one of those guys who knew damn well how tempting he was, but would never say it out loud. You know, because girls love that.

“Oh do they? So where’s your girlfriend?” Henry stood on top his bed and looked about like it was a watch tower.

“You’re such a spoiled brat.” Minho said, throwing the same sock at Henry’s face. Minho walked off and Henry smiled triumphantly. “Whatever.” Henry shrugged, fully aware of how much of a brat he was.

 

         Hyo Shin stared at Himchan, Jongup, Daehyun and Youngjae for a while. Himchan had done all the talking after they showed up with Bang and tried to explain their (Daehyun’s) bright idea that since he was going to get his memories wiped anyway, it didn’t matter if he came back. Bang stood quietly off to the side, watching Zelo closely. However, Zelo stayed farther in the background, not making eye contact with Bang or anyone for that matter.

“Say something.” Daehyun finally said when Hyo Shin’s creepy silence became too much.

“Okay.” Hyo Shin said, striding over to Daehyun. Bang took a step back, having a good guess as to what was about to happen. Hyo Shin grabbed Daehyun by both sides of his face, squishing the boy’s cheeks.

“Daehyun, my boy, tell me honestly…was this your idea?” Hyo Shin asked with an intoxicated looking smile on his face.

“Yes.” Daehyun was happy to admit.

“I thought so.” Hyo Shin said in a dreamy voice as he took Daehyun into a soft hug.

“Oh no.” Zelo muttered.

“Why are you hugging me, sir? Is it because my idea was so smart?”

“No.” Hyo Shin said. “It’s because I’m going to kill you now.” He went on.

“Ahhh.” Daehyun screamed, trying to break free from Hyo Shin. Himchan and Zelo ran at Hyo Shin, trying to calm the temperamental man.

“Sir, don’t. You know how dumb Daehyun is, he has zero sense.” Himchan tried to reason.

“Uncle, don’t do it!” Zelo added. Bang sighed, resting his head in his palm.

            Hyo Shin lifted Daehyun over his head and tossed him onto Zelo and Himchan. The three of them fell backwards with a Crash. Bang couldn’t help laughing at the annoying boys finally getting a little punishment.

“You idiots. I swear I’m going to have an early grave because of you all.” Hyo Shin tried to calm himself. “Maybe that won’t be so bad actually.” He rethought.

“Sir, I don’t get why you’re angry. We brought this guy here to make it easier on Edward when he erases his memory of the yesterday.” Daehyun whined from the floor.

“Edward isn’t going to erase his memories.” Zelo explained guiltily.

“What?” Himchan, Daehyun and Youngjae all exclaimed.

“He isn’t going to do it, you morons.” Hyo Shin answered them. Bang breathed loudly and walked right over to Hyo Shin, staring him down.

“Look, nobody is going to do anything to my memories. You’re going to explain to me what you are…because I know you’re not human.” Bang’s voice shook a bit as he remembered how fast and strong Hyo Shin was. “You’re going to tell me why you pulled a sword on me and what threat is coming to the city. Is it more people like you? Start talking.” Bang ordered.

“Don’t yell at him.” Himchan said.

“Zelo, tell me.” Bang directed his attention to Zelo instead. Zelo just stared up at Bang and apologized.

 “Sorry for getting you into all this Bang.” Zelo said, looking past Bang as the day changed to night.

            Insoo walked into the kitchen where his mom and Aunt were still washing some dishes from the party. “I’m just so glad both my boys are here with me again.” Insoo’s mom said, blowing him a kiss. Insoo cringed and pulled a bottled water from the fridge.

“Insoo, go get your brother, I have more I wanna ask him.” The aunt said, taking a seat at the island.

“He’s not in his room.” Insoo answered swiftly.

“What.” The Aunt was surprised. Insoo left the room quickly, not wanting to talk about his brother who had been a jerk to him earlier. Insoo heard his mother talking to her sister as he left. “Gunwoo said he wanted to go meet up with some guy friends of his.” She said. Insoo laughed to himself, knowing it was lie. Although Insoo had no clue where his oddly behaving brother was, he knew he wasn’t visiting any friends.

            Gunwoo walked as if he was hypnotized down the middle of an empty street. With no life in his eyes and no clue where he was going, he continued to walk and walk and walk, with one small luggage bag on his hand. Finally, after an hour of walking with the small bag, Gunwoo came to a stop in front of a junkyard. A duo of large, vicious dogs came running up to the junkyard gate and started barking at Gunwoo.

“Silence.” Gunwoo said. The dogs whimpered and fell silent, falling to their sides. Gunwoo walked closer to the gate and it just blew open without the slightest touch from him. Gunwoo walked deep into the junkyard and dropped the bag on the ground.

“Sir.” Someone said. Gunwoo looked up at three people standing beside each other on the top of a pile of cars. The three of them leaped down one at a time, landing feet from Gunwoo. The first to step forward was Kai.

“So this is the new body you chose?” Kai asked, giving Gunwoo a good look over.

“Looks even flimsier than the last one.” One of the two behind Kai stepped forward. This one was a male with dark black hair a many tattoos.

“He’s a lot better looking than the last one, that’s for sure.” The only girl in the group walked forward, not really all that interested. “Can we just get this over with, it’s late.” She added, cutting Kai a look.

“Are you ready?” Kai asked Gunwoo.

“Yes.” Gunwoo answered with a spooky dark echo to his voice. It sounded like there were four of him answering.

“Fine then.” Kai said and jumped a large space back. The other two, Jay and Sunmi did the same. At the same time, the three of them began chanting an incantation, summoning dark lights and haze into the junkyard. Gunwoo’s veins began to glow a dark purple color and his eyes went completely white. The dark haze rushed to swirl around Gunwoo’s body and strike up a small miniature tornado around him. The lights and haze got more intense, almost as if a hurricane was about to come sweeping through the junkyard. Kai, Sunmi and Jay went on, chanting away and then finally, the haze exploded into nothing and the lights stopped.

            “It’s done.” Kai stated, out of breath. Sunmi was also drained and stumbled a bit, catching Jay’s attention. Jay swept over and caught Sunmi before she could fall.

“Don’t touch me.” She hissed, slapping his hand off her.

“I was trying to be a gentlemen.” He faked. Sunmi shook her head and leapt above him to stand on a different pile of cars. Meanwhile Kai just watched as Gunwoo emerged from the haze with a joyfully evil smile on his face.

“Kyungsoo…” Kai mumbled.

“No.” Gunwoo answered with a hellish smirk.

“Razzo…” Kai corrected himself.

“In the flesh.” The dark force inside of Gunwoo answered.

“Was that supposed to be a joke?” Jay asked.

“Silence.” The fake Gunwoo answered again. “Pisces.” He said, making the small luggage bag beside him shred into pieces and reveal the Zodiac Stone inside (Pisces).

“The last three Zodiac Stones are in this city.” Razzo answered through Gunwoo. Gunwoo opened his mouth wide and let out a dark, venomous roar that caused the glass on all the car around the four to shatter. Sunmi was forced to leap back down to Jay, who scooped her close to him by the waist. “Don’t be scared, I got ya.” He winked.

“I hate you.” Sunmi groaned.

            At that moment, both Hyo Shin and Edward’s blood ran cold. With both their hearts skipping a beat at the same time, the two rivals looked to their teams in two separate parts of the city and said what they had feared and felt for the past week.

“He’s here…”

 

*Okay, so that was chapter two! So I just wanted to say thanks for reading and enjoying chapter one and PLEASE feel free to comment :D

Anyway, I just wanted to explain two things:

  1. The whole LOCK and KEY business is going to be explained within the next two chapters. Lol, it was a little tricky since Key’s name is…key. So when KEY is capitalized, I am referring to the whole LOCK/KEY thing…not Key the person.

  2. Gunwoo is not dead. He’s just a victim of a dark possession and the evil force inside (Razzo) is using him as a body to live in since his last one was consumed.

Well, that’s about it! Hope you liked chapter two…sorry that the chapters are long! But its good, right?! Lol.