Chapter III

Red Herring

A/N: And the next chapter is finally finished. :) Please don't kill me for the cheesiness... ugh, I don't know what came over me, but well... OnKey just puts me in such a giddy mood that I couldn't help myself. As always, thank you so much for the comments and the subscriptions! The next chapter should hopefully be written in the next two weeks.

If there are any inconsistencies or errors, please don't hesitate to point them out so I can fix them asap. Thanks and happy reading!

Chapter III

He wakes up to the familiar warmth of Jinki’s fingers laced through his own, and for a moment he is transported back in time. Back when they had shared rooms and Kibum couldn’t sleep, Jinki had stayed by his side, patiently holding his hand. Just like that, their leader would fall asleep sitting down until Kibum woke up and scooted over to make space for him.

“You’re awake, Kibum?” When he opens his eyes, Jinki’s face is looming over him. His eyes are bloodshot and patches of skin burn an angry red from acne. Jinki’s never been too health-conscious and likes to eat his dose of oily foods, so it’s to be expected, but the jam-packed schedule for promotions and the media attacks have only made it worse. Taking in the sight, Kibum wants to cry all over again, although he’s promised himself he would stop being so pathetic and convert the mass of emotions he feels into something more productive.

 He cups the side of Jinki’s face with his free hand tenderly before withdrawing it. “I’m awake.” He shifts his left leg up, bumping into a solid thigh in the process and earning a muffled grunt from the older man. “What are you doing?”

Jinki’s smile is innocent, although it doesn’t fool him for an instant. “Waiting for you to wake up,” he murmurs directly into Kibum’s ear. “It seems like Minho’s locked us inside your room.”

Choi Minho, you’re dead meat, he thinks to himself. While it’s true he had asked for Minho’s help in ambushing Jinki by locking him in, he certainly did not mean for it to be the following morning.  He doesn’t want to talk to Jinki like this, not when he hasn’t even washed his face or brushed his teeth, or cleverly hidden the results of his crying jag last night with the help of a little make-up.

As if Jinki has read his mind, he tilts his head back and stares at him intently. “Kibum, have you been crying?” In some ways, he is better off than their leader, being able to release the pent-up emotions in the form of tears. He probably cries enough tears for the both of them. The oldest member doesn’t cry, nor is he allowed to get angry; he can only seethe in silence until they retreat to the dorm.

There are two people Kibum knows he can run to when he’s upset: Minho and Jinki. Minho, who is closest to him because of their ages, and Jinki, who understands and accepts Kibum for who he is. He doesn’t want to burden Taemin with his problems, and Jonghyun…  even if he were here and they were on good terms, seeing Kibum cry would set him off, too, and they would most likely end up crying the whole night.

“You’re not,” there is an odd pause in between Jinki’s words, “crying because you miss Jonghyun, are you?” The mere idea makes him laugh, and laugh he does. Jinki’s forehead crinkles a little at the reaction.

Kibum looks him directly in the eye. “You’re kidding. Who would miss that idiot?” He scoffs. Contrary to fan expectation, he and Jjong have the most unstable relationship among the five. He’s actually glad to have some time away from him. No need to keep up the JongKey act for a while, at least. “I miss you, though,” he says honestly. He would never be caught saying this on camera, because JinKibum (he refuses to call it OnKey) doesn’t sell, apparently, not the way JongKey and 2Min do, but in the privacy of his own room, he doesn’t have to hold back.

“Me too.” There is a long, drawn-out sigh and then his leader’s body is slumped over on top of his, auburn strands tickling Kibum’s face. “I’m sorry for avoiding you.” His breath is heavy against Kibum’s nape. The sound is one he remembers all too well, and images assault his mind: Jinki leaning over him, much like he had been only seconds ago, a bead of sweat slowly trickling down his temple, dark brown hair damp and plastered to his head, shirt pulled off and belt unfastened, muscled forearms on either side of Kibum holding his weight, those hooded eyes that threaten to devour him alive.

He slaps Jinki on the back lightly. “Stop that!” He hisses.

“Stop what?” The bastard is doing it on purpose. Jinki’s not stupid, he knows exactly what he’s doing to him.

He clenches his teeth. “Stop making me , old man!” He can feel his face redden at the admission. Jinki ignores him anyway, a stripe down the side of his neck then biting down, hard. He lets out an undignified yelp. “What’s the big idea?!”

“Payback.” Kibum can barely make out the leader’s mumbling. Payback for what? More importantly, though…

“Wait! I haven’t taken a bath yet!” This is not how he planned to have (make-up) with Jinki, not when he smells like sweat and his eyes are puffy and he’s wearing his rattiest pair of pajamas. Minho or Taemin (or their manager, God forbid) could walk in on them any minute!

The older man shushes him, placing a finger over his mouth. “We could take one together after this,” he suggests reasonably. He leaves the latter part unsaid. Because you’re going to get dirty again anyway.

“You’re not…” Kibum swallows uncomfortably. If he doesn’t ask now, he might never know. “You’re not really dating Jung-Ah-noona, are you?” His own voice sounds small and uncertain to his ears. Jinki’s mouth leaves his neck and he is suddenly afraid that he will leave the room, lock or no lock. Who is he to ask such a thing?

A large hand reaches out to caress his face. “No.” Long, powerful fingers trace the shape of his lips, brush against his eyelashes and skim the folds of his single-lidded eyes. “You’ll always be the most beautiful to me, Kibum.”

His mouth moves, but no sound comes out. His heart is too full of emotion that he can’t express. In the end, a tear rolls down his cheek, and he struggles to form the words.

“I love you, you stupid old man.” He squeezes the hand gripping him tightly. “So don’t you dare try and leave ShiNee, or I’ll….” He searches his brain for an ultimatum. “I’ll leave too.”

Jinki chuckles. “I love you too, darling.” He raises an eyebrow at Kibum. “So are we…?”

“You can stop calling our relationship a ‘thing’, yes. We’re a couple now.” A couple. Kibum likes the sound of that. To the public eye, it’s not as if much will have changed. He and Jinki are notorious for sharing clothes and accessories, anyway. Wearing couple rings or outfits shouldn’t be a problem. He is strangely excited. Going to places together takes on a whole new meaning. Hang-outs will become dates, even if no one knows but the two of them.

Jinki has the grace to look slightly embarrassed. “I meant to say, so are we having now?”

It’s probably best if no one knows, either. Kibum doubts fans want to know what a fiend their Onew-oppa is.