Chapter I

Red Herring

A/N: I'm very new to the fandom, so please forgive me for any inconsistencies and don't hesitate to point them out so I can correct them. :) I hope you enjoy the read.

Chapter I

The first time Minho hears the noises from Kibum and Jinki-hyung’s room, he doesn’t think anything of it.  Jinki-hyung is a playful person by nature, and it makes sense that his unfortunate roommate would bear the brunt of his affections. Kibum is loud, temperamental and fussy, and most importantly ticklish, which, he suspects, is partially the reason why he’s the perfect target for Jinki-hyung’s impromptu tickling sessions. He also happens to be a good sport and quick to go with the flow, matching their eccentric leader step for step. He’s so frighteningly in sync with Jinki-hyung sometimes that Minho thinks not only has he caught the so-called Onew Condition, he has amplified it.

A week later, he nearly drops the glass of water he has been pouring on his foot when his ears catch Kibum’s high-pitched scream. Minho shakes his head, recognizing the sound. It’s the exact same scream that was aired purely by accident when they were filming the reality TV show ‘Hello, Baby’. KBS wasn’t too far off when they said the footage of Onew tickling Key was bad enough to be rated for 19 years old and above; Key has no idea what effect his  moans had on Minho’s sleep-addled, teenage body the morning they shot that scene.  Anyway, he can understand the two of them horsing around during daytime, but at 1 in the morning? Jinki-hyung should know better, and a sleepy Kibum is twice as cranky and hard to please. Still, the next day Kibum is none the worse for wear, and he goes through the day’s schedule with minimal complaint. Jinki-hyung also looks less haggard, the smiles he flashes more genuine and pleasant. Both of them seem refreshed, almost, and although Minho doubts tickling has the power to do that, it’s working and he decides not to scold Key for being too noisy last night.

Months go by, and then years. He feels a little awed that ShiNee has managed to survive this long in the dog-eat-dog industry of Korean idols. Between regular practice and intensive training for their comeback performances, Minho reflects on how much their fandom has grown. Compared to their seniors, they have a long way to go, but in five years they have become recognized as idols who consistently deliver high quality to the audience, be it the harmonized, stable vocals or the flawlessly-executed choreography. To his amusement, as with other idol groups, the ShiNee World have taken an active interest in pairing up the different members, with Jonghyun and Key matched up as ‘JongKey’ and himself with Taemin.

Truth be told, there are times when he is envious of Jonghyun-hyung’s role in the fanservice system they have set up. He has never quite forgotten the sounds Key’s mouth is capable of making, not when Jinki-hyung’s tickles draw it out of him on a regular basis, and he is beginning to wonder if he is more ually attracted to Kibum than he cares to admit. He looks at Taemin and he feels nothing, even if their fans shriek in joy when he so much as makes eye contact with the maknae. With Kibum, though… his name rolls off Minho’s tongue naturally, and he doesn’t have to pretend to be flirty with him, because he’s all too aware that he is definitely flirting with Kibum when Taemin isn’t around and he doesn’t have to justify his actions to a crowd that wants to insist that he is ‘ignoring Taemin’. He bites back the lopsided smile threatening to spill across his lips when he sees the ‘MinKey’ banners among the countless ‘JongKey’ ones.

He is at once both anxious and relieved when Jonghyun-hyung is hospitalized. They had been off to a great start with promotions for their newest album, Misconceptions of You, and were scheduled to shoot the music video for Why So Serious before their main vocalist’s injury. SM Entertainment decides to go ahead with their comeback as planned, and they perform as a 4-member group in the interim. It is a strange experience without Jonghyun-hyung taking the lead in interviews and media appearances, strange to sing songs without his powerful voice at the core of their melody. Taemin, however, does a great job covering his lines, and demonstrates just how much he has vocally matured, even taking the solo parts that Jonghyun-hyung has held for as long as he remembers. He does so well that Minho entertains the thought of continuing without their fifth member briefly, because Kibum and Jonghyun have been speaking little to each other recently and their off-stage interaction is a far cry from the devoted couple they seem determined to play-act in front of their fans.

“Taemin’s really gotten better,” Kibum tells him one night as they lie on Minho’s bed, “but I wish they had given the old man more lines.” He can’t decide whether the new room accommodations they have are a blessing or a curse, not when Kibum is so near and he can smell his shampoo, and no one is there to stop his own traitorous body from reacting to his presence. There is a pause, as Minho belatedly realizes the other man is waiting for his reply.

His mouth moves of its volition before he has a chance to properly think. “Why do you think so?” He ends up asking, and it makes him want to kick himself. Why, indeed. The look on Kibum’s face is one of disdain. Taemin may have enough vocal ability to become a future Jonghyun, but Jinki-hyung’s voice is special. They have had this conversation before. Kibum would never tell the rest of the members, but he knows his secrets are safe with Minho, so he doesn’t hesitate to share what he’s thinking. That includes how he personally views each member’s abilities—he rates Jinki-hyung’s voice as the best of them and Minho as the worst, Taemin as the best dancer (himself as close second) and Minho as the worst. He accepts the judgment calmly because out of all of them, Kibum’s always had the sharpest eyes.

Still, Kibum doesn’t ridicule him for his question, and his eyes are soft when he answers. “Because I don’t want him to leave us.” It makes Minho sit up and stare at him. What is he talking about? What has Kibum seen that he’s missed? “Minho, he’s not…” Kibum is biting his lip to stem the tears. “Jinki-hyung, he’s not like us. He didn’t want to be an idol to begin with, and the stress… it’s just too much for him to deal with. He won’t talk to me, either. I hate feeling this helpless!” Minho automatically wraps his arms around Kibum when he hears his voice crack.

“So it wasn’t really about the line distribution, was it?” He keeps his voice low and soothing. Kibum sobs soundlessly into his shoulder and croaks out a No, it wasn’t. He eventually calms down, but he won’t let go of Minho.

“I’m going to look like tomorrow,” Kibum sighs. Minho knows those lips of his are forming a pout, even if he can’t see them. “But I feel better.” He finally pulls away and meets Minho’s eyes.

When he looks into them, he notices the bags under Kibum’s eyes and the lackluster complexion of his skin. He must have wanted to confide in Minho earlier, but couldn’t find the right time to do it. “And what about Jinki-hyung?”

“I have a plan,” there is a mischievous twinkle in Kibum’s eye, and suddenly Minho wishes he hadn’t asked. “And it’s going to be a little tricky, but you’re on my side, aren’t you?”

Ever since the first and only major fight they’d had, Minho has never been able to refuse Kibum anything. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t want to lose him a second time, or it’s because he has a soft spot in his heart for Kibum that no one else can replace, but regardless of the reason he has appointed himself to guarding the other man’s back. It doesn’t mean he won’t complain or berate Kibum for his foolishness if he has to, but he will continue protecting him all the same.

“Minho?” In the darkness, he hears Kibum call his name plaintively.

“Hm?”

“Thank you.”

Minho kisses his forehead, making him giggle. “You’re welcome, Kibum.” That night, Kibum falls asleep in his bed, and Minho lets him, pulling the covers over the both of them.

A jolt of pain on the side of his neck and he wakes up groggily to Kibum sinking his teeth into his flesh, covers roughly thrown aside. A quick scan reveals that he is still in dreamland (grossly unfair considering he interrupted Minho’s sleep) and unconscious of his actions. Just as he thinks whether things could possibly get worse, three consecutive knocks sound at his door before Jinki-hyung and their manager barge in. Minho closes his eyes in sheer frustration before opening them again to look them squarely in the eye.

“Look, I know it looks bad,” he starts, wincing slightly as Kibum bites a little deeper and at the reddened spot, “but it’s not what you think it is.” He holds up his hands for emphasis, widening his eyes. There must be something wrong with him because he is actually sort of enjoying Kibum giving him an unintended hickey, and if that’s not ed up he doesn’t know what is. Beneath the thick blankets he can feel himself getting hard, and he curses Kibum and his own uncontrollable hormones.

The manager says something in Jinki-hyung’s ear, nods curtly to Minho, and then proceeds to leave the room. Jinki-hyung’s eyebrows are raised, his face utterly devoid of emotion before he breaks into an eerie smile.

“I hope there’s a good explanation for this, Minho.”