People Skills

I Live 4 U

1 month later

“Unnie! I have class, I don’t want to”. Kris whined from my bed as I rummage through my closet, pulling out a pair of shorts, leggings, and an off the shoulder spandex shirt and shoved in at her.

“Listen, you’re not going to sit in your dorm room or my room, all the time. You came to Korea to HAVE FUN, and I’m going to make sure you have some. God why are you so boring”? I set about finding something for me.

“Well I don’t mind going out, but I don’t even know these artist. If it was Big bang sure I’m all about it, but who the heck is Dok2, I don’t even like rap let alone poser rapper”? She whined setting the clothes aside, turning with my own clothes I glared at her and she picked them back up and began to change.

“Dok2 is a friend of mines, were real close. He’s a rapper and really good and by no means a poser, and there are a few idol rappers there too some guys name Nino or something. Anyway we got free backstage passes and vvip seats where the other performers are going to watch the show, so shut it and get a move on, I still have to do your makeup”.

“Fine whatever but as soon as he or someone else shouts what’s up my n-word I’m out of there”.

I couldn’t help but laugh, my Kris was one of a kind.

 

Later

We pulled up an hour before the show started, we were shown backstage to Dok2’s dressing room. The door was open so I went  in, Kris dragged her in behind me like I was leading her to her death.

“HYUNG!” I called walked over to him and handing him the bouquet I prepared

“Li, girl looking good”. Dok2 was about the 5’6 and had swag outta this world I’m sure that my dad was thinking about trying to recruit him for his label. He kissed my cheek and then threw an arm around me shoulder swing me around to meet the rest of his crew.

“Li, you know Locco, and then is….” He kept going but an awkward figure standing in the doorway distracted me with her I don’t wantta be here vibes, excusing myself I went over to Kris and pulled her over to the group.

“Ok, so hi again to the rest of you, as D told you I’m Lina this is my friend Kris”. I pushed her in front of me, wearing the wedges sneakers I’d given her ,sher'd grown from 5’6 to 5’9. Making her the tallest thing in the room, kicking myself i realized it made her even more self-conscious as her body language told me.

A chorus of Yo’s and whatz up’s trickled through the room as the guys sized her up. Dok2 included and i didn’t like the way he looked at her but he knew that my friends were off limits so I let it slide.

“안녕하세요 (hello) “ She greeted them Korean which obviously below their minds from the wow’s that erupted like wild fire.

“You can speak Korean, where in Africa are you from? Are you like... a refugee”? Dok2 asked putting his head on my shoulder and arms around my waist, rocking me from side to side. Kris looked at him for a long time and I knew instantly what that meant. 

He's an idiot was all I could think as I watch Kris's face twitch.

“I'm american”. Was all she said cutting her eyes at him and walked away.

“Kris”. I called to her and tried to follow but Dok2 held me back.

“I'm fine”.  Was all I got and in Kris code this meant she was mad at me too, for what I might never know, if she was mad she stopped talking and never confronted the problem, even with me it was pulling teeth trying to get her to express her frustrations. 

Biting my lip I searching for a way to make things better as she began playing with her phone.

“So how long have you been in Korea”? Locco said in English breaking the silence

“One glorious month”. Kris responded in the Korean, after that Kris refused to talk and sulked.

Even though she was acting this way because she was uncomfortable and didnt like Dok2 because of his stupid questions, I was still peeved she was being a wet blanket.

“Li, whats wit ya gurl, she actin hella disrespectful to yah, I’own like dat”. Dok2 commented as the rift between Kris and I grew more obvious form the way she ignored me.

“Nah, she’s just mad at me”. I said patting his arm standing up from the couch we sat on, “I gotta call pops be right back”.

When I came back there was something off in the room, it was filled with tension. And when I looked over at Kris to make sure she was alright her eye’s were locked on something, or should I say someone, looking in the same direction I watched Dok2 stare right back at her looking none too pleased.

“What’s going on here”? I asked stepping in between the two’s staring contest

“You need to teach your friend some manners Li”. D spat “This FEMALE, doesn’t know her place”.

My head snapped in D’s direction “Watch your mouth”

“What did I say”? He said shrugging his shoulders “Just speaking the truth, if he barks like one it is one, ya know”. He sneered 

 "Napoleon looking bag, this is the I cant stand. I should have stayed home". Kris mumbled loudly,  making her way to the door.

“Hey where are you going”?! I called out to her going after her but a hand around my waist pulled me back into D’s chest.

“Stop let me go! I NEED to go after her”. I struggled against him but Dok2 just held on that much tighter.

“Why let her go, I don’t want people like her around me, especially before a show”.  He sounded like he was cursing her very existence, every fiber in me hummed with anger and I stilled and just stared at Dok2 and what most likely happened during my short absence played in my mind like a movie trailer.

“D what did you say to her”? I squeezed the through my teeth, he looked at me with big eyes as if he knew he did nothing wrong.

“Nothing”. He said sitting down and let me go

“I’m trying REAAALLLY hard to keep our 5 years of friendship in mind and not beat the truth out of you. So tell me what you said to MY KRIS Lee Joon-Kyung”.

“Why are you tripping, if your think’in I told her to my or something you’re wrong, Li, I know the rules about your friends”. He patted my leg try to calm me but I slapped his hand away and bent down so we were eye level.

“5 years Lee Joon-Kyung, one more time, tell me the truth, because if Kris tells me something even slightly different I will come after you”. I stared at him hard holding his gaze “Tell me the ing truth, I KNOW you’re lying”.

When D dropped his eyes I was 100% sure something had happed

“Look it wasn’t even like that, I just asked her how she was sure she wasnt from Africa and what she thought her tribe....”. That all that I need to hear I slapped him as hard as I could

“I’ll you off with that this time but you are going to apologize to her”

“What the hell, Li”. D jumped to his feet but I shoved him back down shoved my finger in his face.

“Shut your mouth, Lee Joon-Kyung! I don’t care if you said you liked her shoes and she got pissed. Kris trumps you and the fact you keep spouting this ignorant bull, despite knowing my family, my own struggles with discrimination! You must have lost you mind to say those things”.

“I'm sorry okay, I was trying to make nice, it just didnt come out right. I’ve known you longer than she has, and if you’re going to be taking side…!

“And that’s where you’re wrong, Kris is my childhood friend and besides my parent and Brandon she is the MOST important person in my life, D just apologize”.

“This is some bull Li, you know that, you come to my concert and pull this ”. But no matter how much he ed and moaned I realized that he never once defended himself, he was guilty and I was not happy about the fact he had done something to Kris…..who had stormed out .

“, I gotta find Kris”! I blurted out, pulling out my phone and dialing her number, but it just rang and rang until her voicemail came one.

My eyes slide over to Dok2 who was looking at me with annoyance and curiosity, when I hung up he ask me the stupidest question.

“Why didn’t she pick up”?

I rolled my eyes as I tried again walking toward the door but got the same result.

“I’ll call you if she comes back”. Dok2 out to me as I slammed the door