2

First Snow

The crowd cheering in awe as Kyungsoo and him made the very last verse of their song. It was their second song at this first snow day. Everybody looked so calm yet enthusiastic as they were being driven to the sweet-romantic winter with the cafe’s atmosphere. Of course at this cold winter, people came with their pair, seated at the tables made for couples. He envied them. Heck, he even envied them more if they started to act lovey at their place. But who is he to get angry, he might the only one who didn’t even have a pair in here. Kyungsoo even had one waiting on him at the back of the stage, feeling uneasy because it was their first date.
Their third song filled the air with another romantic feeling. Their song was about a boy who had him foolishly thrown with his emotions and made a very wrong decision in his life but at the end, he knew where he would end up. He felt like Kyungsoo deliberately chose this song so that he could feel any attachment to this song. Wasn’t it? Or he was just too sensitive about this kind of song? After all, he indeed was a fool for acting cold and fine for this past year. Himself too was had enough of his ego and wanted to fix things up. The thing was, he didn’t even know where to start.

“Chanyeol!” A voice that rings a lot called him from the cafe’s crowd.
“Oh. Hi Baekkie. Good thing am not the only one who doesn’t have a girlfriend.” Chanyeol put his chin on the table as he was playing his phone, not intrested at Baekhyun’s presence.
“Get yourself one, then.” He said as he laid himself on the chair.
“Easy for ya to say,”
“Get yourself together, Chanyeol. It’s you who never tries.”
“Like you do,”Chanyeol likes to talk back to Baekhyun. Though he knew at the end, he’d never win this guy.
“I’m in the middle of trying,” Baekhyun paused, “anyway I’ve been going out with Seohae lately.”
Chanyeol stiffened up but he pretended to have a cold response. He wanted to listen to Baekhyun’s full story. Deep inside, he wanted to know how is Seohae going.
“Not going out like ‘going out’ ‘dating’ or anything. I was just being the best man friend. She deserves one. After what you did to her.” Baekhyun was scared. He was scared saying these things. No one inside their friend circles had brought Seohae into a conversation. They didn’t want Chanyeol to get piss. But Seohae deserved this. Chanyeol had to man up; he had to fix his feelings. Because Baekhyun and the other guys knew, Chanyeo was never fine either. Hell he never stopped being guilty about his decision. Yet he was having such a big ego to pull himself together and realize he still loves Seohae.
“What have I done?” Chanyeol muttered, challenging his friend to tell him more.
“God, Chanyeol. You know your feelings. Everyone knows your feeling. But can you at least be truthful to your heart? Seohae already had her miserable days, so did you. You both still have the feelings. You just didn’t know how to fix it.”
“You’re right. I didn’t know how to fix my own self. I don’t know if I take her back would we still remain the same? Would we change into better? Would we even have the courage to love each other better and greater than before? We don’t know!” Chanyeol now straighten up his back. He was so frustrated when it came to Seohae, his messed up feelings.
“How could you know when you haven’t even tried! Damn it, Chanyeol. Have you changed? Have you realized where you got wrong? If you have, take her beck unless you wanted to have guilt wash over yourself when you know she’s somebody else’s.”  By that Baekhyun left the confused Chanyeol with massive questions.

 

-

 

Seohae was familiar with the café. She used to come here often last year. People were busy with their own business and thoughts. Some of them were merely couple in love, trying to feel the romantic air that the cafe has offered. On the stage Seohae could see Baekhyun and Yixing serenade their love song, making Seohae wanted to join the other audiences. She knew it was Chanyeol’s favorite place and there had to be a big chance to meet him at this place. But Seohae had made up her mind, she wanted to tell him how hard it was for her to through a year without him. She already gave up at her ego, she had the courage she needed to have right now. Whatever Chanyeol’s response later, she didn’t mind. If he hasn’t changed then it was right for Seohae to move on. Evenmore, if she knows what inside Chanyeol’s mind then she’ll be alright.

“You’re here.” Kyungsoo broke Seohae’s thought.
“I am. Haha,” she chuckled, having a feeling that Kyungsoo might know whom she wanted to meet.
“Chanyeol is at the back, preparing for his solo stage. Want me to tell him you’re here?” Kyungsoo’s big eyes felt like ice stabbing to Seohae’s heart. He indeed knew what she was up to.
“No need, I’ll talk to him after his work done. Thanks anyway.”
“Anytime.” He winked then left her with the usual menu Seohae ordered. He remembers well.

“Hello guys,”
A heavy voice that sounded so familiar and which Seohae has been longing came from the stage. It was undeniably Chanyeol’s. Seohae couldn’t even breathe properly, her heartbeats paced up, her hands felt colder than before, and her legs felt weaken. Chanyeol always had that effect to her, wanting it not unwanting it, in a positive way nor in a negative way.

“Well, let’s see. Today is the first snow of the year, right? Haha- exciting!” Chanyeol tried to communicate with the audiences. He knew this song like the back of his hand yet he felt irritated everytime he had to sing this song. It tells the situation he’s in and everything he did this winter.

“Someone has requested this song because it’s the first day of snow. But, well, the song didn’t tell much happiness. It tells us about a guy who foolishly lost a girl and he was regretting it.” Chanyeol’s expression wasn’t as bright as before. He felt like telling the audiences what was inside his chest. He wanted to let the feelings go before he made up his mind.

“Honestly this song pictures my situation really well. I just blew my chance from having a girl inside my life. This girl,” he paused, hesitating at his thought. “This girl drives me nut. She might not know how she does it. But everytime I see her smile it was like a sudden summer on a cold winter. I sound cheesy, don’t I?” Chanyeol let the audiences enjoy his speech about being broken hearted though it was pathetic seeing the audiences laugh at his stupid story.

“But back then, I wasn’t paying enough attention to her. She was being left alone by my big selfish ego. And by that, she left. Like the wind on one autumn day, she was gone. I don’t know whether I could have another chance to get to her or not. But one thing I know for now is, I’m still in love with her.” Chanyeol started to pick his guitar. The first verse of “첫눈” was being played. Unknown by him, Seohae listened to every word he uttered that night. All the worry she had earlier was slowly vanish. She smiled between her tears.
 

첫눈 오는 이런 오후에 너에게 / 전화를 걸 수만 있다면 기쁠텐데 / 벌써 일년이 지났는데 난 아직 미련 / 가득해서 “쓸쓸해” 어느새 혼잣말 /(시계를 되돌려) / 1 전으로 있다면 / (마음을 되돌려) / 지금 우린 달라졌을까 / yeah 바보 같은 소리지, 그래도 만약 /
너를 만나면 눈물 차 올라 / 바보 같은 난 아무 말 못해 / 말해줘 메리 메리 크리스마스, / 안녕 잘 지내는거지 / 눈이 내리면 멍든 가슴이 / 모두 하얗게 다 덮여지게 될까 / 미안해 잘해주지 못해 / 후회만 가득 가득 했던, / 그 크리스마스
불빛 가득한 거리거리 / 혼자 걸었어. 다들 행복해 보여 / 너는 언제나 공기처럼 있어줄 / 거란 착각에, 멍청히 보내, / 내가 너무 미안해 / (너무 흔한 얘기) / 지나고 나면 너무 소중해 / (항상 지나치지) / 왜 그때는 모르는 걸까 / 지금은 다를 거야 말해주고파 /
너를 만나면 눈물 차 올라 / 바보 같은 난 아무 말 못해 / 말해줘 메리 메리 크리스마스, / 안녕 잘 지내는거지 / 눈이 내리면 멍든 가슴이 / 모두 하얗게 다 덮여지게 될까 / 눈물인지 눈 때문인지
점점 멀리 멀리 보이던, / 그 크리스마스
정말 신기한 일이야 너의 / 생각만으로 눈물 차 흐르니말야 / Tears are falling, falling, falling / 다시 너에게로 가고 싶어 / 무슨 일이든 할 수 있어 / 지금까지 삶이 모두 사라진다 해도 Girl
너를 만나면 눈물 차 올라 / 바보 같은 난 아무 말 못해 / 말해줘 메리 메리 크리스마스, / 안녕 잘 지내는거지 / 눈이 내리면 멍든 가슴이 / 모두 하얗게 다 덮여지게 될까 / 눈물인지 눈 때문인지
점점 멀리 멀리 보이던, / 그 크리스마스


 

On this afternoon as the first snow is falling / If only I could call you, I’d be so happy / A year has already passed but I’m still not over you / So I talk to myself, “I’m lonely”
(Turn back the clock) / if only I could go back one year / (Turn back my heart) / would we be different now? / Yeah, it’s a stupid thought, but still, what if
If I met you, would tears rise up? / The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything / Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, / hi, how have you been? / When the snow falls, would my
bruised heart get covered whitely? / I’m sorry I didn’t treat you well / That Christmas, I was only filled with regrets /
I walked alone on a street filled with lights, everyone looks happy / I used to think you would always be there like air, but I foolishly let you go, I’m so sorry / (Such a typical story) After time passed, the fact that you’re so precious (It always passes by) / Why didn’t I know back then? / I want to tell you that it’s different now
If I met you, would tears rise up? / The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything / Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, / hi, how have you been? / When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely? / Is it tears or is it because of the snow? / That Christmas, I kept seeing you
get farther away

It’s so strange, just thinking of you / Makes tears fall / Tears are falling falling falling / I want to go back to you / I can do anything / Even if all of my life till now disappears girl
If I met you, would tears rise up? / The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything / Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, / hi, how have you been? / When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely? / Is it tears or is it because of the snow? / That Christmas, I kept seeing you
get farther away

 

 

--

 

This new year’s eve Nami’s small apartment fills with joy and happiness not only these twelve noisy boys but also their girlfriends as well. For Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, the others were being told having another fling not girlfriends. However, 12 boys and girlfriends made 24 people inside Nami’s small living room. They shuddered at the thought spending last day of the year by watching fireworks at Hangang or counting down the clocks on busy streets at Hongdae. Troublesome they said, it was even colder outside making them decided to just snuggle inside comfy house of Nami’s and Yixing’s.

But the most special couple were having their time on the balcony, counting the stars so they would look more romantic than the other couples. Well, Chanyeol wanted his last day of the year with his girl only not being interrupted by cheesy comments from his friends, especially Baekhyun who made this things happened.
“Do we even look romantic?” Seohae linked his arms with Chanyeol and rested her head on his shoulder.
“We do better than Jongdae at least.” He Seohae’s hair which smelled like peach.
“I’ve been missing you.” She interwined his fingers with his, feeling the warmness he condensed.
“I know and I’ve been missing you too.” Chanyeol straighten up his seat then faced Seohae who was bewildered at his sudden moves. He cupped her face with his rustic yet warm hands. “Didn’t I promise you that I’ve changed?”
“You did and I believe in you.” Seohae put her hands on his.
And as the last day of the year being countdown, both Chanyeol and Seohae still froze at their own place, mesmerizing each other’s presence.
And the countdown was counting down, 5, 4, 3, 2,
...1.. Their lips met. The gentlest kiss Chanyeol ever placed on Seohae’s lips. Seohae savored a mix of warm and sweetness from his lips. That wasn't their first kiss but it felt like one. All the guilt, hesitation, anger, sadness could vanish with one comfort kiss. The fact that the fireworks and sound of people's cheering made Seohae almost giggled between their kisses at how romantic they were.

So, there was it. The year has ended with a delight moment they devoured the most.

“I love you, Seohae.” He said followed by the sound of fireworks outside.