One: Learning The Past

Dead But Alive

"Eomeoni, I'm off to school." I bowed and started heading to the door. "Yoona-ah.." Mother called before I even reach the doorknob. "Yes, eomeoni?" I asked politely. "Don't do anything weird and.. magical, OK?" she smiled. Her wrinkly face was crept up into a sad smile, more of a weird smile. Mother was my everything, is my everything and will be my everything. She's the only person who has faith in me. Unlike Father, who gave up on me because he knew about the magical sensation running through my veins. I couldn't promise Mother anything, regarding to my powers and how to control them. "I'll try, eomeoni." I smiled back and left. You know, you're so lucky. As kids, you were running around, playing games freely. And as a teenager, you love, trust and befriend other people. I wasn't like that. And probably never will. My name is Hong Yoona, if I use Father's surname. But I go by Im Yoona. I'm 16 years old and a senior in Ilbeon High. Like I said, I'm not like the normal teens. I spent a sad childhood and my teenage years are blurry. I don't have a friend. I had one back then, but I seriously don't want to talk about it. What makes me weird is my life is.. what do you call this? Hanging on the line? Well technically, my life is not hanging on the line. It's hanging on a necklace. Mother gave it to me when I first discovered my powers. The necklace is made of real gold, real sapphire and real magic. I asked Mother where it came from, but she would shrug the question off, leaving me dumbfounded until now.

 

I touched the heart of my necklace, the sapphire. I thought about my past. Mother tried to brainwash me, saying that I'm just hallucinating. Eventually, the brainwashing plan failed. It turns out I have a sharp memory. I remembered him, I remembered the swing I first played, I remember the curse, I remember everything. Suddenly, I bumped into someone. "Mianhe. I wasn't looking." I said softly, but loud enough for him to hear. "Aniyo, it's OK. I'm Luhan." he smiled cheekily. Luhan...

"Luhan oppa! Look! I'm high off the ground!" 4-year-old Yoona squealed as she was swinging on the swing. 

"Yoongie-ah, be careful!" 4-year-old Luhan yelled as Yoona swung higher.

"C'mon oppa! Join me! Don't be such a killjoy!" she pouted while shouting.

"Shireo." he turned back. "I'll cry!" she threatened. Luhan, as the over-protective best friend, he had no choice but to play with her.

"See, oppa? It's fun!" she laughed and Luhan laughed along.

Luhan, as in, Lu space Han? From Haidian District, Beijing, China? I don't have any courage to ask him where is his hometown. I don't even have courage at all. "Umm.. hello.. earth to pretty girl? You there?" he suddenly said and waved his hand infront of me. "H-huh?" I stuttered. Did he just call me pretty? "You were zoning out. Are you OK?" he asked. "Y-yeah.. I-I'm O-OK.." I stuttered again. Then the bell rang signaling us to class. "I gotta go." I whispered and dashed off. "Wait! What's your n...." he tried to say, but his voice trailed off as I go farther away from him.

 

Lunch. I picked up my wrapped-in-a-handkerchief-lunchbox made by Mother. I waited for my other classmates to go out because it is a sign of respect. After they are all gone, I went outside, the rooftop, specifically. The rooftop was the so-called "Lost Location" of the school. I sat down the metallic bench, just near the border of the rooftop. This is the only place where I can unleash my powers. I raised my hand, murmured,"Paradiseus Suneusus," meaning 'paradise sun' to brighten up the mood of the weather. I grinned, not until someone barged in. I saw a familiar figure looking down. "L-Luhan-ssi?" I softly spoke. The boy looked up at my direction and smiled. "Pretty girl. Hi." he said and sat beside me. No, no. I might harm you.. again. "What's your name?" he asked. "M-my name?" I whispered. "Well, yeah. Don't you have a name?" he joked. "I-I do have a name. And my name is Y-Yoona.." I sheepishly smiled.

Oppa, please remember me. Let's be close, like we used to be.

STOP THIS! YOU'LL HURT HIM LIKE THE WAY YOU DID YEARS BACK!

I didn't listen to my second subconscience and continued. "Really? At least I finally knew your name." he cheekily laughed. My smile slowly faded as I tried to accept the truth: Luhan doesn't remember me. "C-can you, tell me about y-your p-past?" I said while shaking and stuttering. "I don't remember much. Actually, I don't remember anything." he sadly smiled. Those words struck me,. He doesn't remember anything. "W-Well, can y-you learn your past?" I hopefully asked. "Why are you saying those words like you were a part of my past?" he joked. Because I AM a part of your past. An important one. I just smiled fakely and ate with him. "So, do you always wear that sapphire necklace?" Luhan innocently asked. "Yup. It's special. My life is depending on this." I said, but a little mischief to keep my secret. "Sounds really special." he joked back. We just laughed and ate all throughout the lunch period.

 

I packed my bags and went out of the classroom. Finally, dismissal. Usually, I would buy some instant ramyeon for Mother. I know it's bad for a mortal's health, but I could just cast a healing spell on her. As long as my necklce is with me. I was about to go out of the school when someone called my name. "Yoona!" he said. I turned and saw Luhan with five other boys. "L-Luhan.." I softly said. He approached me and so as the five boys. "Yoona, this is Kris, Xiumin, Chen, Lay and Tao. Four of us are Chinese, including me." he introduced. "A-annyeonghaseyeo.." I bowed. "No need to be polite. We're all friends here." Xiumin assured. "Neh." I simply said. "Going home early?" Luhan asked. "Yep. I'm going to buy food for eomeoni." I smiled. "Oh.. Go home safe!" they chorused and I went straight to the convenience store and bought ramyeon and headed home.

"Eomeoni, I bought ramyeon for you. And I need to talk to you." I called out. "What is it, sweetie?" she asked. "Eomeoni, I talked to Luhan today. He... He doesn't remember me." I sadly said. "Dear, he was brainwashed. And plus, if he remembers you, he'll remember the--"

"That was an accident. I never meant to do it." I calmly said. If this conversation is just going to nowhere, I'll leave my mind to rest.