fourth

Starstruck

FOURTH CLASS

DOUCHEBAG SIGNIFIER

"You know I trust you, Chanyeol, and I trust your friend, but I really just don't know her," a soft voice filled the empty lecture hall. "And I guess I'm jealous, because she spends so much time with you."

Chanyeol's head was in her lap and he closed his eyes. "But I spend time with you, too, Haein." He was still in his stiff uniform that stretched in the wrong ways when he layed down, but ignored it as he felt delicate fingers work through his hair.

"People have told me that you guys have a thing," she said.

Chanyeol snorted. "It's because you just moved. Once you've been around us for more than four months, you know what our relationship isn't."

"Have you ever liked her?" Haein asked.

His eyes closed and he muttered, somewhat defensively, "We've been best friends for 14 years."

Haein took in a deep breath, "So you have."

Chanyeol opened his eyes again. With his awkwardly long limbs his grasped her head so that they met eyes. "Just because I have, doesn't mean I still do." There was no response. "I'm serious, Haein, Jaewoong and I spend time with each other because it's just been the routine we've done for years. We go out to a cafe, talk about Kyungsoo's latest crushes, and work on homework. I don't feel anything for her anymore. We really are just good friends." He sounded earnest, and his grip on her cheek was still strong.

"Does she like you?"

Chanyeol looked surprised and let go. There was a bit too long of a pause before he grunted, "No, of course not."

Haein, seemingly satisfied, smiled and breathed, "Alright. Thanks." Her boyfriend used his too-large hands again to pull her gently down for a kiss.

-

"I'm serious," Lay hyung's annoying voice kept nagging during Kai's fierce after school Fifa session. Amongst Sehun's swearing about Kai's last goal that was verging on poetic, Kai also heard characteristically both calm and exasperated Lay-sounding snippets of "Jaewoong," "gentleman," "phone," "biology," and "." Kai half-attempted to make a swipe at Lay when he started to prod his shoulder persistently after shifting onto their lumpy couch arm.

Lay resorted to standing in front of the TV, arms crossed and sternly snickering.

"Hyuuuuung," Sehun and Kai both groaned, drowning out whatever Lay had started to say.

"Kai-yah." Lay moved so he was in front of Kai's vision only. Kai just made another frustrated, low noise in the back of his throat as he tried to duck around Lay's slim figure. "Jaewoong's at the cafe in front of the school right now until around five, enough time for you to--"

Sehun's jubilant voice interrupted with, "Lay hyung, stay like that for another sec!" as Kai starting swearing himself.

"Yah, is everything in your life about Fifa?" Lay shouted as Sehun let out a victory cry and Kai tossed the game controller down with another, "You know that wasn't fair!"

"Thanks, hyung!" Sehun cheekily said, giving Lay a loving shoulder pat, and ducked out of their living room.

"You can't avoid it," Lay warned to Kai. He ignored Kai's childishly annoyed gaze and plowed on, "All you need to do is buy the phone, and bring it to the cafe. That's it. If the money's the problem--"

"The money's fine, hyung, but I don't know if I want to talk to that bit--"

"Jaewoong's a good person!" Yixing's tone was defensive.

Kai scoffed. "Can we bring up biology class today? And how she made me look like a complete douchebag, or player, or I don't even know!"

"Well, you can't blame her," Yixing sighed, much to Kai's repeated whine.

"Hyung!" Kai stood, feeling particularly indignant. "I've seriously had two real girlfriends! Just because I'm good looking, doesn't mean I date everyone in the school!"

"You're right," Lay said. "There's a difference between dating and sleeping around. You do the latter."

Kai's voice gradually rose to almost shouting. "No, I don't! Those are all rumors!" He stood. "I can't believe you believe those when we ing live together! Ask Sehun and Chen about how many girls I've even talked to in the last month! That's right, like three, including my mom!"

"This is beside the point, Jongin!" Lay started to push the younger boy out of the doorway. "You're going. End of story."

-

Jaewoong woke up with a start as the table under head was kicked up. She freaked momentarily, realizing she'd fallen asleep after Chanyeol had left, and instinctively checked her watch.

. It was 5 o'clock. She'd been under for over an hour.

She freaked out again when she saw that it was Kai sitting across from her, looking completely unamused, pouty lips and all.

"Yah, you actually fall asleep on a book?" He questioned. "If I hadn't woken you up, who knows how long you'd have been here."

Jaewoong couldn't quite muster defense for that, and mumbled, "Why are you here?"

Kai shrugged. "Lay said you'd be here."

Silence. Oh. The phone.

"So, do you just like making me feel like an ?" Kai demanded suddenly. "Especially making me look like one in front of all your stupid friends today!"

For a tiny moment, Jaewoong felt guilty, but brushed it off with a scowl. "Why would they believe that you're an so quickly? Oh, yeah, cause you are one." A smug smile crept onto her lips, while Kai rolled his eyes with a breath.

"Didn't you say you didn't know who I am? Why would you think I'm a douchebag! You make no sense!" Kai's eyes narrowed. "Just because I'm good looking doesn't mean I'm a douchebag, thanks!"

"I think claiming that you're good looking is an automatic signifier of 'look, douchebag!'"

Although, Jaewoong had to admit, he wasn't wrong about being good looking at all.

Kai put his hand on the table more firmly than needed. "I think claiming the truth is an automatic signifier of 'look, good person!'" Jaewoong started to retort, but he interrupted, "I really just want to give you your phone, and that's seriously it." He reached over and put a bag on the cafe table. "Just call your telecom service to activate your old number, and it should be set."

Jaewoong started digging in the bag and pulled out a brand new cellphone, with a lime green case still in the packaging. It looked expensive, and Kai looked annoyed.

Another wash of guilt struck Jaewoong.

Wow, I've been a . He actually bought this for me?

"So I'm good, right?" He started to stand up. "Tell Yixing oppa that everything is great and he doesn't have to bother me anymore."

Kai didn't wait for a response and made his way out the door.

"Wait!" Jaewoong's voice called after him. He stopped, and Jaewoong was suddenly shoving the bag back into his hand.

"What?" he demanded again, "Did I get the wrong model? I couldn't really tell what your old phone was like cause it was in pieces-- God, you really are so picky--Is green not your color--"

"I can't take this," Jaewoong interrupted. "I'm sorry, but we really just met at the wrong time. Same with today. And earlier today. You didn't actually have to get me a new phone--I can pay for it myself-- but I was just pissed off about something else and you were like a walking outlet--"

"What?"

"Like, I still think you're a douchebag and wonder why Mr. Pyo thought it'd be funny to have us grouped for bio, but I can't take $700 gifts from you because we both ran into each other on the street."

Kai was speechless.

"So, thanks, and I'm sorry." Jaewoong gave him a salute that was almost mocking, and turned to scamper off.

For a moment, Kai was just too stunned to move.

"Are you serious! Thanks? Sorry?" Kai bellowed and quickly walked to catch up to the shorter girl. He caught her by the shoulder and turned her to face him. "You yelled at me for like ten minutes on the street in front of Lay hyung yesterday, demanding that I pay for your phone, made me seem like a sleazebag in front of all of your friends today, and made me go to the store, drop $700 on your phone, and you're not even gonna take it?" Jaewoong's eyes were wide from surprise. "Are you mean to me because I'm a douchebag? Do you like to annoy me? Or are you just a ?"

Another voice interrupted before Jaewoong could respond. "Woah man, I thought you said you wanted a girlfriend." Kai felt Sehun's hands on his shoulders and him being pulled away from Jaewoong slightly. "And you can't just call girls bad names because you're upset they don't like you back."

Kai felt so indignant, but didn't even try to defend himself. So this is my luck. 

Sehun started giving him a serious verbal beating. "That's not okay, Kai. I know you want a girlfriend and all and Kris this and Kris that but no matter how big your ego is, not all girls will just fall over--" 

Kai tried to supress the urge to strangle Sehun, and Jaewoong, who was standing by with yet another shocked expression.

"--in love with you, Jongin. Maybe you should actually try getting to know a girl before trying to get in their pants, okay?" Sehun glanced over at Jaewoong. "Now, apologize."

-

A/N: Sorry that was such an awful place to leave this off! But I felt that I should update, even though I have awful writer's block! Thank you for those who have been reading and please leave comments if you can! I'll try to update soon! ^^

Kris and the other characters will be introduced soon.