third

Starstruck

THIRD CLASS

YIXING HAS Y HIPS, SUHO HAS SPORTS CARS

“Ughh, I can’t believe I have to work with Kai,” complained Jaewoong. Chanyeol walked beside her, trying not to smile as they walked to a café together. “I mean, who wants to work with someone with a stage name in high school?”

“Hey, at least you have Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. And you better be careful; you know the rumors about that kid,” Chanyeol said. They settled in their usual, dimly-lit booth after ordering their usual drinks. “And today he was totally coming on to you,” he said, but then rose his eyebrow at Jaewoong. “But then again, I think you could probably scare the out of him, so…” added the grinning Yeol, earning a smack on his arm.

“I think I already did,” Jaewoong said, earning a shocked glance from Chanyeol. “Long story,” she quipped after a long sip from her bubble tea.

“Of course,” Chanyeol teased with a mouthful of chocolate muffin. “Is he good in bed?”

She crinkled her nose. “You’re disgusting, Yeol!” His laugh just answered. “Speaking of which, when will I ever meet your new girlfriend?” Jaewoong asked, a smile on her face. The hint of jealousy in her tone was completely unnoticed by her best friend.

He shrugged, fingers pulling apart a piece of muffin to stick out to Jaewoong. “She has a lot of different classes from ours, I dunno.” Chanyeol looked up. “I don’t think you’ll like her, to be honest.”

“What! Why wouldn’t I like my best friend’s girlfriend!”

Chanyeol laughed and shrugged again. “Just seems like you wouldn’t.” He met eyes with her again, making Jaewoong’s heart do another backflip. “But I heard that one guy had an eye for you, Jaewoong!”

“That one guy?” Jaewoong inquired disbelievingly. “I’m sure ‘that one guy’ was in your imagination.”

“Yixing, was it?” At Jaewoong’s expression he said, “You know, the kinda short one with the sleepy eyes and y hips—“

“What!”

“—He seems nice. You should date him.” Chanyeol seemed genuine.

Laughing loudly, she shook her head. “Oh, we’re just friends. Way just friends.”

Chanyeol put a hand to his heart. “Ouch. Friendzoned. Poor guy.” Jaewoong laughed again.

“What about our own class president Suho?” Chanyeol drilled, smiling. “That guardian angel. Dat .” Jaewoong smacked his shoulder again, Chanyeol saying, “No, for real, I haven’t asked but I bet he might have a crush on you—“

“Are we talking about the same Suho here?” Jaewoong asked, trying not to crack up. “You’re basically asking me to date my grandpa.” Chanyeol burst out laughing into his hands. “I can see him as the kind of guy that would talk about having kids on the first date—“

“But, he could buy you a sports car!“

Jaewoong shot him a look. “Do I look like a gold digger to you?”

“How about Baek? Actually, no,” Chanyeol blurted with a laugh.

“All of Seoul would be burnt down in under 20 minutes.”

Chanyeol laughed again, saying, “Why did I even suggest that.”

She then caught his eye suspiciously. “But why’re you trying to set me up with people?”

“I just feel like since I’m dating someone, you should too.” Chanyeol shrugged, a hopeful smile on his face. “Best friend kinda obligation, I guess.” He grinned shyly at her.

Part of Jaewoong’s already hurt heart tore a little more.

As if on cue, Chanyeol’s phone rang. Quickly answering, he stood and walked a few feet from the table so Jaewoong could only hear snippets of his conversation.

“Oh yeah, I’m sorry,” he rumbled in his deep voice. “I didn’t think too much about it.”

Walking back towards Jaewoong, Chanyeol mumbled awkwardly, “I have to go, Jaewoong, sorry…”

“Oh, where? Is everything alright?”

Chanyeol shrugged without meeting her eyes. “I dunno. Seeya tomorrow, I guess.” His tall limbs carried him out of the store in a flurry, the doors flapping empty within seconds.

Dumbstruck once again, Jaewoong just waved as understandingly as she could.