Part 1/4

The Gifter

 

[Hyukjae POV]

 

Again, it'll be another boring day at school, and at this point, I feel like I have no other choice than to introduce myself to you people.

Well, my name is Lee Hyukjae, I am 18 years old, and I am finally in my last year at this brain-curdling fly trap of a high school. Every day of my life I feel as though I am slowly dying of boredom, listening to teachers, the principals, and even some of my snot-nosed peers drone on and on about what new useless thing we're going to be doing today, and the next day. . . and the day after that. . . I'm actually kind of looking forward to the day I finally drop dead and can excuse myself from this otherwordly torture.

School is something I can DEFINITELY live without, but. . .

To be honest, I'm a stereotypical nerd. I personally don't think so myself, but since I've naturally gotten and maintain straight A's throughout all my years of high school, everyone automatically assumes that's what I am. It doesn't bother me, actually, because I'm not a bullied 'nerd'.

For some odd reason, everyone loves me. Call me conceited, self-centered, and full-of-myself, but there's no way I am lying about this. EVERYBODY loves me.

I'm an irresistible nerd.

Anyway, I'd probably get shot if I didn't introduce my very best friend. He's very feminine, super annoying, and extremely talkative, but I love him all the same. His name is Kim Ryeowook, also known as Ryeo - my nickname, and NO ONE else's. We've been together since we were very young, and I can't see a day of my life in the future without him.

I could go on and on about how close we are and how many fights we'd get into on a daily basis, but I'd rather skip this part and head on over to the present time now where I am currently screaming at the blank wall at the top of my lungs.

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOOOOL!"

"Hyukjae!" This is my mother calling from downstairs, "Why the hell are you screaming?! Hush up boy an-" I slam my bedroom door closed as my cell phone begins to ring from within my pocket.

Without checking the ID, I answer immediately.

"Hey, Ryeo, I'm on my way already . . . No, I swear I'm already out the door. . ." At this point, I swing my backpack over my shoulder and hurry back over to my bedroom door, closing and shutting it loud enough for him to hear. "Don't you hear the traffic? The people? The animals?" I ask, quietly skipping downstairs to slip on my sneakers.

But my mistake was waving goodbye to my mother.

"Hyukjae! Wait right there, mister! You haven't had any breakfast!" she hollered. I groaned when Ryeowook gaffawed loudly on the other side.

"No, I hear your mother." he giggled through the phone, "I knew you'd be late."

I sighed, "Shut up, pipsqueak," he gasped, "I'll meet you at the school's front gate. I just have to put my numbers in first and that shouldn't take long." I only heard him click his tongue before he gingerly hung up in my face.

I just grinned stupidly. I love my best friend so much.

He kind of doesn't believe anything could ever benefit from it, but he doesn't judge me as hard as he used to when I first started playing the lottery - in the beggining, it was a disaster. But, he always allows me to bombard him with all my excitement.

Recently, I've been trying to win a special type of lottery they've allowed online from the U.S. I too know it's almost impossible to win, but the prize is for 2.5 million USD!!

I'd gladly sell Ryeowook for that kind of money. . . 

And it's not like my family is poor or anything. We're actually pretty well off, but it doesn't hurt to hope for something incredible to happen sometimes.

After I quickly chose the same numbers I play every time for the lottery - 4, 10, 15, 16, 86, 11, 22, 7, 28, 17, and 70 - I slipped my phone back into my pocket and made for the door again, ready to leave.

"Bye, Mom, I'm leaving now." I called to her, but was stopped once again.

"I repeat: YOU HAVE NOT EATEN BREAKFAST!" she screamed, a spatula raised above her head. I pouted.

"But, I"m not hungry!"

"Hyukjae."

"Mooooooom!" I whined but then smirked when she sighed.

"At least take one of your stawberry milks with you?" She asked, though the spatula in her clenched fist told me not to say no. I grinned like a child and ran over to my mother, snatched my precious pink milk from her hand, kissed her quickly on the cheek, and ran out of the door without glancing back.

Once outside, I sighed contentedly, feeling overwhelmingly happy. Today is just one of those days.

I think I'll walk, I thought and grinned happily to myself. Only, I'd gotten to about the end of my block when my heart almost burst into streams of confetti and suffocated me dangerously from the inside.

Leaning up against the wall of a building, the heel of his foot slowly kicking the bricked base, was Lee Donghae . . . the very same boy I've had consistent dreams about for the last three years!

Suddenly, I was feeling very giddy inside and my fingers were literally twitching with a nervous excitement. He's looking at me, and I'm certainly still walking towards his waiting figure, but inside my mind, I am looooong gone.

Over the past three years, I've had various girlfriends; all very well-known - yes, this 'nerd' has GAME - and all very pretty. But for some reason, not once could I focus my mind entirely on any one of them.

Becuase that delicious Lee Donghae has always been stuck in there since I'd first seen him. 

Sometimes, I felt sorry for my then-girlfriends, because they never had my full attention. Especially, Hyoyeon, my most recent ex-girlfriend who broke up with me within our three months of dating as I could never give her as much of my heart as she really wanted. I could say I felt bad, but that would be a total lie.

I have to really love someone to actually care about a breakup. And at the time, just like right now, my Donghae was always on my mind, both as a friend I really cared for, and a friend I had already fallen for.

From the very beginning, both my heart and mind had already and only belonged to Donghae. . . Only Donghae. It just that it's all one-sided. He's the one I most want to love me, dearly. But he only sees me as a friend.

If it wasn't for Hae - he doesn't know I call him that! - I doubt I would make the effort to go to school at all.

If only he knew. . .

"-kjae. . . Hey! . . . HYUKJAE!!" My eyes buldged as I was smacked harshly in the back of the head.

"What, Donghae?!" I screamed, rubbing the abused spot.

"Where do you go when you space out like that??" he asked. I meet you in my dreams, that's where. I nearly answered. He giggled, "Stay on earth sometimes, Pabo."

I clicked my tongue disapprovingly, and mumbled, "I hardly think I'm that bad. . ." But I have to admit that I kind of can't help myself when I see a meat as fine and steamy as this standing in front of me.

Unconsciously, I slowly my bottom lip while Donghae just raised an eyebrow at me.

"Uhh," he started, "Do-You-Want-To-Go-To-School-To-Geth-Er???"

I cleared my throat and straightened up, "Yes, but you don't have to talk to me like I'm slow . . . or something." I muttered. Again, he laughed brightly.

"Obviously, I kind of do since you act like you can't hear when I speak to you. Come on." Without much of a warning, he grabbed my hand and started dragging me to school beside him.

Very close to him, mind you. I almost passed out as all the blood in my body rushed to my head all at once. I took a couple deep breaths and let myself be dragged.

"So, what's up for today?" he asks after a while. "Do you have dance practice?" We don't always have dance everyday. Sometimes, it's left as an open period.

"Yeah, but I have to go to piano first." I answered. "What about you?" I then asked as if I didn't know what he did in school absolutely every day, even where he goes on those days he has an open period or two. . .

But no, I am not a stalker if that's what you're thinking. . .

Don't judge me. . .

He thought for a second before replying, "Well, first I have this boring chemistry exam. Then, we," Yes 'we' people, 'WE', "have that Engrish study test later on. Are you ready for it?"

Damn. . .  I immediately thought, because obviously, I had forgotten all about that test. I haven't even studied. . . BUT, because I know everything already, I should do good.

"I forgot all about it." I answered him honestly in English. He pouted instantly.

". . . Huh?" he asked with the dumbest look on his face. I frowned when he continued. "What the heck did you just say?? Speak in Korean, dude. THIS IS NOT AMERICA!"

I sighed, "Donghae, how are you supposed to pass the te- Scratch just the test, the class, if you don't even know what I just said?!"

This is when his face transformed into a smile as wide and as creepy as the damn Grinch on various drugs. He eyeballed me and poked me with his elbow, "That's why I have an amazing friend like you. So that you can help me cheat! Hmmm?" he nudged me again, "Hmmm? Hmmmmmm?"

I rolled my eyes and slightly pushed him away from me. So that's all he sees me as? I honestly tried to feel bitter, but that look on his face had me entirely.

"Yah, Lee Donghae! I do not cheat and I do not help cheaters!" he pouted and I almost collapsed by the look, "But I will try to help you while we walk to school. . . Okay?"

He nodded eagerly and I sighed with a small smile. He just didn't understand how badly I had wanted him to say that I was dear to him, and that he wanted me as his lover, and not just his friend.

The entire way to school, I spoke to him in English, translated it into Korean, and had him repeat everything I'd said. We walked and talked this way until we were at the front gate of the school. It was kind of fun actually. The boy is just a cute, adorable, and terribly helpless idiot.

I'm glad I felt so attracted to some like him.

"Hey, Hyuk. Over here!" I was suddenly called as soon as Ryeowook saw the two of us approaching the gate apparently.

I almost sighed aloud as I thought about leaving the source of my life! But nevertheless, I bid Donghae goodbye.

"Next time we meet, we'll pick up where we left off, okay?" I asked and waited for his oddly slow nod before I turned around to meet up with my tiny friend who was glancing over my approaching shoulder to Donghae, no doubt.

"Hey, Ryeo, what's up?" I asked once I'd gotten to him. Apparently, he didn't like to beat around the bush.

"Have you told Donghae how you feel, yet?" he immediately asked, not even allowing me the chance to make up a valid lie to make myself sound at least a little bit better when the question actually came.

I sighed in defeat, "No, I CAN'T, okay?! I'm. . . I"m afraid. I don't want him to look at me with those beautiful brown eyes that would translate to 'What the actual ?' when I ask him and then get rejected! . . . But I will, though!"

Ryeo just stood stock still and stared at me. I bit my lip. ashamed, under his gaze.

You see, Ryeowook is the type of best friend you can tell anything to and not get judged . . . Well, the lottery was a different story. But that's not the point. The point is, ever since Freshman year when I first started liking Donghae (since the moment I first laid eyes on him) Ryeowook knew I've had that massive crush on him (Donghae, not Ryeowook. . . N.E.V.E.R). And ever since then, he's been steadily trying to encourage me to tell Hae how I feel about him. But every time I try, my palms get all sweaty and it feels like my throat has become infested with cotton balls, up every bit of my saliva and courage.

When this happened, I would lie to Hae - who would ask me every time without fail if I was alright - and tell him that it was nothing. . . I just needed water (and maybe a couple of medically induced electric shocks).

Pathetic, huh?

Ryeowook suddenly nodded his head as if in answer of my silent question, "You better hurry it up before someone comes along and really sweeps him off his feet." I groaned.

"I will confess . . . I will . . . I promise!" Ryeo wouldn't stop looking at me as if he didn't believe me. I huffed, "Now leave me alone about that, will you? Goodness, anyways, I put in my lottery numbers again! This time, I have a really really good feeling about it."

Like usual, Ryeo rolled his eyes at me, "Hyuk, you have been saying that for the last 2 years now and you haven't won a thing. . ." It was my turn for the fabulous eye-roll.

"Whatever, Mr. Pessimistic. I will win this time, for sure."

By this time, we had just entered our first class of the day.

"Let's make a bet," Ryeowook suddenly suggested, "If I win, you buy me dinner." I nodded, "But if you win . . . you buy me dinner." I blinked momentarily.

"What the hell, Ryeo? How in the hell is that even fair?! Either way, I lose!" I shouted in an undoubtedly whiny voice.

Ryeowook simply cracked up in my face, "Hyuk, you're so easy to mess with!" He guffawed loudly for a while longer before collecting himself, "Okay, okay. I'll buy you dinner if you win. Or better yet, I'll cook since I'm such an awesome chef." He pulled on a smug smile.

I huffed at him, "Self-praise doesn't look good on you." He glared at me as I hit him good on the head, "But okay. It's a bet." As the bell rang throughout the school, I left Ryeo where he was standing and took my seat.

As usual, my day at school was terribly boring and uneventful. Well, it was except for the fact that Ryeo ran into our very bunny-like classmate, Sungmin, at the end of the day which got him cursed out viciously and literally almost killed. Sungmin is actually a very cute person, super bubbly, and kind of petite, but he and his game-addicted boyfriend, Kyuhyun, are close to exceeding the boundaries of pure evil.

Usually, the immediate solution to this type of behavior is TO GET LAID, but with these two in particular . . . nevermind.

Anyways, a while after Ryeowook stumbled back to me bleeding profusely out of his ears due to the attack that Sungmin had dealt them, his eyes swirling with unshed tears, and his bottom lip quivering helplessly, we exited the school in pursuit of home.

"Hey, Ryeo, wanna come over later?" I asked as we walked slowly away from campus and down the long streets toward home.

Ryeowook only thought for about a second, "Yeah, how about around 8pm? I'll bring the movie, and you make the popcorn?"

"Sure, but I don't want to end up watching some sappy romance movie about two people falling in love and then being separated by some cliche, and then fighting for their forbidden love again."

"Any particular movie you're referencing?"

"The Notebook."

Ryeo gasped, coughed, and then nodded his head one time fast, "Whatever monkey boy, I'll bring whatever movie I damn well please." At this he winked at me.

"Let that movie's genre be romance and I'll burn it, along with you!" I challenged, but then he punched me hard in the shoulder. "Ouch!" I cried.

"Don't you dare threaten me or I"ll shove my foot so far up your you won't be able to pull it back out again!" I winced and unconsciously gripped my bottom, "And, I'll burn all of your monkey and fishy plushies you love so much, ALONG WITH YOU!"

I gasped loudly, hoping that my ears had deceived me!

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY PLUSHIES YOU DERANGED BABY GIRAFFE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, kicked him playfully in the rear, and ran for my life.

I dashed all the way home, knowing that there was no way in hell his little legs could keep up with me. Only when I actually reached my house did I realize I was laughing like a mad man.

Panting for air, I opened my phone just so I could have the chance to tease Ryeo some more before going inside when I glanced up and to my right to see him actually running towards me. My initial reaction was, 'What the hell? He's still at it?!', until his little body collided with mine and he began beating harshly on my weakened body.

"Oh, Ouch, OUCH. OKAY! Okay, I won't burn your stupid movie!" With these words said, he stopped his raging menstrations, staightened himself up, and replied haughtily while breathing crazy hard,

"Good, now I'm glad we agree on something." He paused for like thirty minutes (not really) to breathe even more heavily and my second initial reaction was, 'What the hell? He's still breathing?!'. He continued, "I'll see you in about three hours."

I nodded without speaking a word of what was on my mind, afraid of another midget attack. I waved at Ryeo and watched him walk away for a bit before I entered my house.

"Mom, I'm home!" I hollered, making my presence known . . . Although, apparently, it wasn't needed.

"Good, now get out of here and get me some kimchi and Soy Sauce at the supermarket. We ran out." I was utterly beffuddled at what she'd just said to me. . .

DOES SHE NOT UNDERSTAND THE KIND OF DAY I'D JUST GONE THROUGH?! And one more important thing!

"Aww, Mom, I just walked in the door!" I whined super loudly.

"Well now you're walking back out. So get out."

. . . How RUDE.

"But you haven't even given me the money!" I tried whining louder.

Like the suddenly evil kitchen-witch even cared. . .

"So take it out of your wallet and pay for it. Simple." She said, never having once looked at me. "Now get out."

I huffed and grumbled loudly as I my heel and stomped back outside into the afternoon air. I think the whole situation is no fair. Why in the world do I have to pay? Why should I have to pay?! This is outrageous! I need to make a vow to myself . . . based on my delicious friend, Donghae.

Let's just say, if I ever get Hae to be my boyfriend, I'm going to leave my wallet at home - ON ACCIDENT - so I can spend all of his money. Kkkk.

When I got to the store, I could already tell something chaotic was going on, because it seemed like everybody and their mommas were piled up into one place! I wondered why there were so many people as I squeezed past children and adults alike, all watching a freaking miniature-sized television in the corner of the store. Particularly where I was doing my shopping!

Though, as I was squeezing past after having already snagged my ingredients, I couldn't help but sneak a couple of peaks over shorter peoples' shoulders.

". . . and the next lottery number is: . . ." The announcer on the screen began and I couldn't believe that so many people actually played like I did. Everyone shut up quickly in order to hear what the next number she'd say was.

It was so dramatic, and it was so slow, but the rest of the numbers she ended up calling, one by one as they rolled out of the clear tube, were: 28, 86, 10, 4, and POWERBALL11.

"These are your numbers for the current ongoing lottery prize of 2.5 million USD. Good luck to everyone." The announcer concluded and the television screen clicked immediately to a scheduled commercial.

While everyone groaned and moped like defeated children, I stood blankly, holding my two ingredients in my suddenly trembling hands, and stared at the television screen. I swear, on everything that is pure, that I could not believe what I had just witnessed with my own two eyes.

BECAUSE, HOLY CRAP, THOSE LAST FIVE NUMBERS OF THE LOTTERY WERE MINE! AND I MISSED THE FIRST FIVE. I MISSED THEM AND I NEED TO KNOW, NOOOOOW!!!

Taking two, rushed deep breaths, I ran to the check-out counter and paid hurriedly for my mom's groceries. I ran home like there was no tomorrow, silently cursing myself for not having driven the car. Once I arrived, I almost flung the bag atop of the counter, disregarded the face my mother gave me, and ran into the living room praying that the program would maybe repeat itself on the T.V.

But, of course, just to my sort of luck, it wasn't on! So, I ran to my room.

My fingers smashed the keyboard down to bits as I logged onto the website I had registered to for ALL lotteries. I knew my password so well I didn't even have to think about it as I typed monkeylovesfishy - If anyone asks, I am no monkey and I know no fish! - into the required box.

And when I finished, I almost keeled over and died.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! MOM, MOM, MOM, AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!"  I couldn't take it. My body felt like it was on fire, and I seriously could hardly breathe through all of the screaming and whatnot.

My mother came running into my room, her eyes bulging from her sockets as they scanned my room wildly, a frying pan clenched tightly in her hands.

"What's happening? Hyukjae, honey, what's wrong?!" 

With one hand over my heart, my mouth agape, eyes wide, and my breathing off, I pointed over to the computer screen on my desktop. I couldn't really speak, so all I was doing was making weird, animal-like noises.

"What is it Hyukjae?" she asked, having lowered her frying pan. When I didn't answer, she asked again. "What is it? You're starting to scare me."

Although it was incredibly hard, I forced myself to swallow the excitement and disbelief I felt within me. I responded a bit weakly.

"M-Mom . . . Mom, c-can you r-read those n-n-numbers off to me? I . . . I fear I'm seeing things, now." She eyed me weirdly before she slowly set her frying pan down atop of my bed and carefully proceeded toward me.

"Sure, honey." She gave me one more weird look before turning to face the computer screen. "Let's see. There are the numbers 17, 15, 22, 7, 70, 28, 86, 10, 4, and POWERBALL 11. . . . That's all of them, Honey . . . . Hyukjae, breathe . . . . Honey, speak. What's the matter?"

THE MATTER was that I felt like I was ABOUT. TO PASS. DAFUQ. OUT!

"MOOOOOOM! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS??? . . . I just - I can't . . ." I gasped terribly hoarsely for air, "I can't breathe!"

"Hyukjae, calm down! You're turning purple!"

I breathed in and immediately turned a shade of red again as I yelled, "How-How can I calm down, Mom, when I just won. . . WHEN I JUST WON 2 . . . 2 . . . 2 -" I was weazing again.

"What did you win, Hyukjae?!"

"2 . . . 2 . . . 2 -"

SLAP!

"2.5 MILLION DOLLARS!!" I finally managed to scream out of my system, while rubbing down the red spot that was quickly developing on my cheek where my mother slapped me.

For about half a millisecond, we both froze to look at each other, but our excitement overpowered the both of us. I started jumping up and down too many times fast for my heart to handle. When I felt like I couldn't keep myself on my feet any longer, I broke down to the floor and started break dancing to match my mental frenzy.

Within my spinning vision, I could see my mom start doing the Moonwalk. When she started to say 'hee, hee!' like Michael Jackson, I suddenly got into the mood to do the worm, successfully waving my body all around my room like I had absolutely no spinal cord.

I tell you people, I felt as light as a goddamn feather.

I did this until I felt the need to tackle my mother down to the floor with me. I tickled her silly as we started screaming our heads off again at the same time for no apparent reason. I don't even know what time it was when the doorbell rang. We froze for not even what you would call momentarily until my mother starting screaming again and I dashed out of my room.

I dangerously skipped the stairs while going down and yanked the door wide open in a crazy fast motion,

Scaring the hell out of the person standing behind it.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well here's the first chapter. I really wanted the whole story to be out before Christmas was over, but I just couldn't do it. So I hope to have it out by this Satuarday. Thanks for reading Mreey Christmas and Happy New Year <3