Three

Heaven Sent

I couldn't see many children. It was a little too early. After settling everything with the office, mom and dad went home wishing me luck. I had too much free time before school started. I didn't want to go to my classroom yet. So I went to the garden and sat on a garden chair.

The environment was nice. There were trees and flowers. On the top of a building, which I assumed was the main building, there was a big sign that said, 'Dae Wu High School'. I wondered who Dae Wu might've been. Maybe he was the founder.

My eyelids felt heavy. I couldn't get much sleep last night because I was nervous about today. Without knowing, I fell asleep on the chair.

"Hey," someone was calling me. "You okay?" It wasn't Tae Min's voice. He was standing right in front of me, but he wasn't talking. He had a mischievous smile on his face. But the voice wasn't his. That voice was far more beautiful, and it sounded... safe.

Suddenly everything was shaking. And I woke up with a jolt.

I was sweating, and I felt shaky. Another bad dream. It took me a minute to realize that I wasn't alone. A guy was kneeling in front of me. He had his hand on my shoulder. His dark brown hair had fallen over his concerned, dark brown eyes.

"You okay?" he asked. He had that voice. That beautiful voice which felt so safe. I stared at him without knowing what to do.

"Hey," he said, his voice soft.

I quickly got up and grabbed my bag. He was standing now. He was much taller than I thought. I was too afraid to look up at his face. So I bowed down to him saying, "I'm sorry", and walked away as fast as I could. I didn't dare to look behind.

The bell rang. So I went to find my classroom. With much difficulty, I finally found it. I hesitated for a second before entering the classroom. The teacher was already there. He wasn't that old, to my relief. I didn't want an old teacher as my homeroom teacher. He was maybe in his late twenties.

I closed the door behind me and turned to him. He stopped what he was saying as I entered. I turned to him and bowed. "I'm sorry for being late. I couldn't find the class..... sir." I thought I should talk with some respect.

"It's okay," he said. He had a deep, manly voice. "You must be the new student. Come here."

I walked towards him. He came and stood beside me. "This is the new transfer student. She moved here from Seoul," he said to the class. And as he said it, the whole class went, "Ooohh!" He then turned towards me. "Introduce yourself to the class."

I was still a bit nervous. I was looking down the whole time. Now I had to look up. "Hello," I said nervously. "My name is Kim Ji Hee." I didn't know what else to say. I looked up at my teacher as if to ask help.

He understood I needed help and came to my rescue. "Hello, Ji Hee. Nice to have you here. I'm Hyun Bin. I'll be your homeroom teacher and your English teacher," he said. Then he looked at the class and said, "Ji Hee will be learning with us from today onwards. I hope you will make her feel welcomed." Then he looked around the class. "You can sit there in the third row. There's an empty seat there." He then looked at me and said, "Let me know if you need anything." He smiled down at me. He had a beautiful smile, I have to say. A very beautiful one, with dimples and all. He looked more like an actor than a teacher. I smiled back slightly and went to my desk. I immediately liked him.

"Okay, everyone. Answer your names," the teacher said as I sat down. I hung my bag on the hook at the side of my table; answered my name as he said it at last.

"Okay, then. That's it for today. President." Teacher Hyun said.

A skinny guy with short black hair rose. He wore big nerdy spects. "Attention," he said. Everyone sat straight. "Bow." Everyone bowed. Teacher Hyun went out of the class.

Everyone looked at me. I was nervous like nothing. "Hey, transfer student," the president said. "Nice to have you here." I looked at him and smiled.

"So how was Seoul?" another guy asked. He was a bit fat and had brown hair.

"Seoul was okay," I replied.

"Why did you move here?" this time a girl asked. She had short black hair and a figure of a model.

"Um..." I didn't know what to say to that. I couldn't tell because I was bullied to the point where I lost desire to live anymore. I looked down.

"Come on, now. Stop with all the questions. Let the girl breath for a while," I heard a girl say. I looked up to see who my savior was. She was the girl sitting right next to me. She had straight, dark brown hair that came up to her shoulder blades. Her eyes were dark brown. She was, all in all, very beautiful.

She smiled at me. Her eyes looked like they were shining when she smiled. "I'm Park Shin Hye. What's your name, again?"

"Um... I'm Kim Ji Hee."

"Ah. Right. Ji Hee. Nice to meet you Ji Hee-ah."

I was a bit surprised to hear her call me 'Ji Hee-ah'. We just met, but she already treats me as a friend. I immediately liked her. I smiled and bowed a little. Just then the teacher came and we didn't get a chance to properly talk until the lunch break.

When the bell rang Shin Hye came up to me and said, "Let's go eat. I'm starving."

"Um... Don't you have other friends you should eat with?" I asked hesitantly. She was so friendly, I couldn't even believe it. And this was the first time anyone has ever offered to eat with me.

"Just one. He's a senior, though. One year older than us. We'll all eat lunch together. I'm sure he won't mind," she said as she put her things under her desk. "Besides I'm the only friend you have. Yet. I can't leave a friend behind now, can I?"

I was surprised again. And happy. Very happy. I offered her a big smile. My big idiotic smile. "Thank you, Shin Hye. It means a lot."

She smiled at me. "Now let's go. I'm really hungry!"

We went to the cafeteria. "We always sit at the end table by the window. He's probably already there." She grabbed my hand and led me towards the end table. "Ah, he's there." A guy was sitting with his back towards us. "Oppa!" Shin Hye called out as we got closer.

The guy turned at the sound of her voice. It's him! I quickly looked down. It's the guy from the morning! I was embarrassed to face him. I slept on a garden chair on my first day of school and he saw it.

Shin Hye dragged me to the table. "Oppa! Did you wait long? Sorry, we're late." She bent down and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Let's go eat. I'm starving."

"Whoa whoa, wait. Who's this?" he asked as he got up from his chair.

"Ah, right! I almost forgot! This is Ji Hee. She's a new transfer student. She came from Seoul. Ji Hee, this is Min Ho oppa."

I still haven't looked up. I was greatful for my long hair, because it covered my face. "Hello," I said still not looking up. "I'm Kim Ji Hee."

"Aren't you gonna look up?" Shin Hye asked. "She's really shy," she said to him.

"You can look up. I won't bite," he said. His voice was beautiful and it felt safe, just as it did this morning. I couldn't keep my head down forever. I slowly looked up at him.

"Oh! It you, isn't it?" he said. I was hoping he wouldn't remember me. But he did.

I looked down again, embarrassed.

"You know each other?" Shin Hye asked, surprised.

"Not really," he said. "I met her this morning and she ran away from me."

"Omo! This is her, isn't it? The mystery girl with light brown eyes and long black hair?" Shin Hye said.

I looked up at her. What was she talking about? She turned to me. "He told me about you. He said he met this mystery girl-"

"Yah yah!" he said, interrupting what Shin Hye was saying. "You and your big mouth!" He then turned towards me. "I'm Lee Min Ho. Nice to meet you," he said and smiled at me. His smile was as beautiful as his voice.

"Can we please just go and get some food?" Shin Hye said.

"Yeah, let's go," Min Ho said.

After wo bought our food, we came back to our table. Shin Hye and Min Ho sat next to each other and I sat opposite to them.

"So you came from Seoul? How was it?" Min Ho asked me.

"It was okay," I said.

 "Any siblings?"

"No it's just me." I felt like I should ask something too. So I did. "So, how long have you guys been together?"

"Who? We?" Shin Hye asked, surprised.

"Yeah," I said taking a bite from my rice.

They looked at each other and broke out laughing.

I didn't understand the reason for their action. "What?"

"Oh, we're not together, honey. He's my brother. Half brother, actually." Shin Hye explained.

"Yeah, She's my annoying younger sister. My dad married her mom and we became siblings." Min Ho said.

"Oh. I see," I said. "Sorry. I thought you were dating. You guys look like.... I mean, you guys don't look like.... Um... Siblings."

"We get that a lot," Shin Hye said.

"Yeah. She keeps calling me oppa and always kiss my face," Min Ho said. "You gotta stop that. Or else girls won't look at me thinking I have a girlfriend."

"But that's because I love you, oppa!" Shin Hye said in a sweet girlfriend-tone. "And you really are my oppa." She said and stuck out her tongue at him.

Min Ho stuck his tongue back at Shin Hye. I couldn't help but smile at their adorable behavior.

After we had our lunch, Shin Hye and Min Ho showed me around the school. They showed me everything. All the buildings and what were in them; all the silly legends around the school; even some popular kids. And they joking and teasing each other all the way. I liked it. I really liked it. I really really looked them and was glad I could make friends with them.

When school ended, mom came to pick me up. "So, how was school?" mom asked after I settled down in the car.

"It's good. I liked it," I said.

"Did you make any friends?"

I could feel a smile spread across my face. "Yeah. Two. They're siblings. Actually half-siblings. They're really nice," I said.

"That's a relief," mom said.

I could feel my mom's gaze on me, all the way back home. She's probably surprised to see me happy. Because even I can't remember the last time I smiled like that.