Part 2

December blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The cold winter breeze touched Luhan's skin, even though he was wearing several thick clothes, the cold was still seeping in, making him shiver under the night's coldness. It was a rash decision to go back home. Although, it never came to the young man… not until he was in front of their shared apartment, freezing because of the unforgiving weather. He didn’t want to ring the doorbell or use his keycard to open the door yet. However, it was already too late to back down seemingly that it was just a thick wall that was separating them. Something in him was still stubborn enough that he would choose to freeze to death than to have a mature talk with Iseul. It was unlikely of him to deal with problems like this but he had enough of coaxing her for the things he was not at fault. True, throughout their entire relationship he could get a little pushy and clingy… but it was just a way to show his feelings. All those years, he didn’t ask for anything in return. It was enough for him to see that he was making her happy. All he wanted now was her ‘yes’… but how could she be so heartless and deny him the future he imagined all those years that they were together. She was not even considering it and instead rejected him flatly. She could have shown him some signs of understanding where he stand but she was that inconsiderate and not to mention heartless.

As the young man stood outside, he was convincing himself that he didn’t do anything wrong and that it was not him who was supposed to feel bad about the whole situation. Apologizing was not supposed to be on his checklist, not at the moment. His pride and heart were equally broken.

Soon Luhan found himself swiping the keycard he had been holding tightly in his cold ungloved hand to unlock the door and he opened it without a second thought. His boots clanked against the tiled floor as he walked inside. He took off his wet, snow covered boots and placed them under the shoe rack where their shoes were neatly arranged.  He didn’t pretend to sneak in like how he imagined it at first. He just lazily dragged himself inside, creating noise as he took each step. Luhan let his body fall on the couch after placing the neatly wrapped box on the coffee table.

“You’re back…” Luhan heard a distant voice of the female he was dreading to see yet missing. But being stubborn, Luhan ignored the female and pretended to be busy fiddling through his phone, reading non-existing text messages. Then, he shifted his gaze from the device and up to the grandfather clock. Seeing that it was past midnight Luhan stood up, not even sparing a look at where Iseul was standing. He strode past her and made his way to their bedroom. He shut the door behind but didn’t lock her out; he was not that bad to make her stay out cold in the living room, besides, he wanted her to follow anyway. She didn’t disappoint him… because seconds later she stepped in the room.

“Can we talk?” Iseul pushed the door closed with a click. She walked across the room with light steps until she reached the edge of the bed. Luhan was sitting on the bed as well. His back was leaning against the headboard.

Only silence answered the woman. She tapped the mattress a few times and sat on it, overlooking the displeased look Luhan was giving her.  “What is there to talk about?” he snapped, finally breaking the thick atmosphere. He was being cold towards her but he was sure right to act like that.

“Luhan… I’m sorry okay? You’re really wasted last night so I won’t hold anything against you… just please let’s stop this… don’t ignore me.”

Luhan let out a scoff, clearly irritated.  He could not believe that she just said that, as if subtly blaming how intoxicated he was that night and incapable of holding a serious conversation.

“You keep on telling me things… I keep on making it happen but with me I only have one thing but you can’t even consider it?” Luhan fired back, getting straight to his point. Was it always going to be that hard for them to face the reality?

“We’ve talked about this right? Luhan please stop.” Iseul begged softly. She didn’t want a fight to start again, not when Luhan voluntarily went back home and was there listening and talking in his sober state. She didn’t think Sehun pleaded Luhan to go back home because the younger was utterly disappointed at her, especially when he had shown his displease and walked out on her.  

“Or is it better to just break up?”

The thick air gradually increased, almost suffocating the two. It was like Luhan had dropped the bomb. The surrounding grew silent after he had spoken. He was also taken aback but he didn't let it show.

Luhan’s sudden statement earned a frown from Iseul. She was also gaping at him. It was obvious that his statement had hurt the woman. “Don’t say that…” It was the only reply she could muster.

“We can’t stay like this… ” With those final words, Luhan gathered some pillows and a blanket in his hands. Soon the lad disappeared out of the hallway. His red flag was still up, meaning Iseul would have to deal with his stubbornness until she surrenders. Luhan made his make-shift bed a.k.a. the couch and plopped on it. He pulled the blanket up until his chin, closing his eyes to drift off. However, it was not as easy as it seems. With the small cramp space to occupy and the thoughts that kept him company, it would never be that easy to get a good night sleep. Luhan ran a hand to his reddish brown locks. Giving up, he threw the blanket off of him and sat straight. In the middle of musing, his eyes darted at every corner of their home and the little box on the coffee table caught his attention, a sudden rush of anger took over him seeing the box. He instantly got onto his feet, approaching the coffee table with eager steps. He then hastily grabbed the box and went to the kitchen, only to chuck the treat inside the trash bin. It didn't matter to him whether it will be put to waste. Kyungsoo wouldn't be mad at him because the younger guy wouldn't know that he just threw the cake he wholeheartedly made for the couple’s anniversary in a few days. The cake was supposed to be an early gift but Luhan didn’t feel like celebrating anymore.

Iseul, caging herself in the other side of the house, let her body fall back onto the soft mattress. She momentarily closed her eyes, sighing in frustration at what happened to their conversation. It was not every day that Luhan would act all too childish over a fight. She was not used to this Luhan because the Luhan she knew was always giving up minutes later after the fight and will coax her, telling her how sorry he was for not considering her thoughts and feelings. Maybe he had had enough of her. That was the reason why she could not consider, scared at the fact that Luhan might get bored and get fed up sooner or later.

She had thought about what Sehun said. The younger was right about her being inconsiderate and not caring about what Luhan would feel. But was she ready to take their relationship to the next level? She was undeniably doubtful of herself and how she would handle life after marriage. Luhan was also new to this whole ordeal but the man was willing to try it out but she on the other hand wouldn’t even consider trying.

She ran a hand through her messy hair, gathering it out of her face. “I don’t deserve him.”

Three days had gone by but the two were still treating each other like complete strangers. Iseul would always stay inside the confinement of their room after work was done while Luhan would be home extra late and occupy the living room, claiming it as his own personal space – bedroom.

On the fourth night since their huge fight Iseul wanted to lull herself to sleep. She was too exhausted because of work but no matter how she tossed and the bed, she could not get a good night sleep. Maybe it was because of Luhan’s absence beside her. No matter how she denies it, it was getting into her, it was enough for her that he opted to stay out a few nights ago and that he was avoiding her for days, sleeping on the couch and entirely ignoring her presence. She abruptly sat on the bed and staggered out of the room. She was greeted by an equally bothered Luhan who had his arms blocking his eyes, his entire face actually. Iseul thought that he probably didn’t notice her presence or he was just ignoring her but in fact he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter