Chapter 53 - Dark Love (Part 13)

The Pre-existence Seekers

I entered the Eighth and the last Hall. Different from the other Halls, this place was very quiet and was freezing cold. The coldness seeped into your bones and you could feel your veins being frozen. The place was surrounded by ice mountains and I saw several souls being hung on the ice tree. They had to endure the freezing cold and they could not utter a single words. Those who came here were once the heartless one on earth. Though I had my bracelet, I could feel my soul being frozen and my mind was going dizzy.

My steps became heavy and slow. I been through 7 crazy Halls of the Underworld. Despite with the bracelet, I experienced the painful rain, grilling flame, swamp, frozen cold and I felt my energy being drained out. However, I had the 3 valleys awaiting for me. I was feeling dreaded to go through them. I felt like taking a rest to catch my breathe but I felt sudden insurge of energy from the bracelet. As if it was encouraging me to go on... Hwaiting! Dongwan, you can do it! I braved myself as I had gone through the Halls.

I went through the door to reach the first valley. A strong gale made me tumbled and I had great difficulties to brace myself to get up. I took a peep and noticed that it was a empty valley but above it was a huge dark tornado. The tornado was speeding at an alarming speed and I heard loud cries amidst it. I strained my eyes for a closer look and to my horror, the tornado was formed by countless of dead souls. I realized that I was at the Wind Valley.

Those indulged in lust would be spinning away with the tornado and never to end. I forced my way over the strong wind and I saw the souls being blown all over the directions. I wondered if Cleopatra or Helen of Spartan were in there?

I hurried past the Wind Valley and entered into Water Valley before I reached my last valley - the Forest Valley. It was the first time that I saw a forest that was black in colour! The Forest Valley emitted the aura of Darkness and greyish mist enveloped the surrounding. 

The black tree trunk, the black leaves and the black undergrowth resembled a monster, ready to devour any intruder. I recalled Hyesung telling me that those who committed suicide would end up in the Forest Valley. However, I found it strange that I did not see a single soul being punished here. It was too eerily peaceful here which scared me totally. To reach my destination, I had to make my way through this valley and I did not have much time to wonder about it.

I trekked through the forest carefully and was alert of my surrounding. It was strange that there was no fallen leaves at all on the ground. I heard a chirp of a bird somewhere and I raised my head. Something flashed across my sight and disappeared. I was scared now and I anticipated something to appear. Something horrid.

I support myself by holding onto a tree and I jumped. The few seconds that I placed my hand on the trunk, it felt soft and smooth which resemble the touch of human flesh. I retreated and I hit against another tree and the feeling was landing into someone's embrace. "Ouch!" I heard the yelp of pain in my ear and I slipped due to fright.

"Ouch. It's painful..." I heard the voice again. I am very sure that the voice came from the tree. But there was no one on the tree... Could it be.... I felt cold sweat rolling down my spines.

"Show yourself, you monster or demon!" I stared at the tree and was in my defense mode.

"I wish I could appear. But the sinners are turned into trees in this valley. I did not mean to frighten you."

My face turned pale. The tree was talking to me. After I calmed down, I spoke in a cracking voice," You mean all the trees here are souls?"

"Yes, in this valley. Those who commited suicide would be turned into trees. Their bodies became the trunk, the skin turned into leave. Their legs became roots and dug into the soil of despair. No one can talk anymore. I am new here and so I could speak but...." The voice sounded depressed. Judging from the voice, he was probably a teenager about 17 to 18 years old. I felt pitiful that he landed here at such a tender age.

"You sounded so young and why did you end your life?" I stood up and dusted my pants.

"I....." He hesitated, " It is a release for everyone if I am dead."

"How could you think in this manner?" I stared at the tree."Committing suicide is the stupidest way and only a coward will do that. You escaped from everything when you are dead, have you think of your loved one who are left dealing with your death? You are very selfish to pass your pain to them!"

"I regretted now." He sighed.

"It is too late and no one can help you."

"There is a way. When I just came here, there were a few trees who talked to me. They told me that there is a way for me to return to human form. And if I could escape to the bliss land, I can be reborn again."

"What is it?" I asked.

" Human blood. Living human blood." I was shocked to hear that but he continued," But there is no way that a living human can be found in the Underworld so....."

Living human blood. Well, I am one here. I am still alive and just that I entered into the Underworld with Hyesung's help. But can my blood really save this young boy? Could I trust him not to reveal my identity? I barely know him and I concluded that I just carried on with my agenda here.

"Er, I can't help you and I must get on my way. You take care. Goodbye." I was feeling uneasy when I said that. I was guilty that what he said turned out to be truth and I just did not help him.

After bading farewell, I heard flapping of wings and loud chirping sound. In a blink of an eye, several large birds hovered above the forest and soared down, pecking at the trees. Instantly, loud echoed throughout.

The trees were transformed by the souls. By pecking them, the birds were eating them up. I turned and looked at the tree which I spoken to earlier and I saw reddish liquid flowing down the trunk. Was it blood? I heard his muffled cries of pain and I was struggling in my heart. What should I do? Should I abandon him or should I help him?

I harden my heart and took a few steps forward and I heard a loud shriek. I stopped and I ran back to him. I touched the trunk and shouted ," How much blood do you need?"

"Just... Just one drop." His reply was so weak and faint.

I took a deep breathe and bit on my index finger. A drop on blood dripped onto the root. Thereat, a white mist surround the tree and when the mist started to clear, I saw a silhouette of a human.

Once the mist was cleared, I saw the boy. He was really young as I had estimated, about 17 to 18 years old. He had emerald green wavy hair which was rare and the hair was just slightly over his shoulders. His light green iris had a playful gleam like an elf. He lips slightly apart like a little kid waiting for his favourite treat. Generally, he looked innocent and reminded me of Jinnie. I smiled when I think of Jinnie.

"The birds?"

"They are sent by Hades. They will only attack the trees and not us. Thank you for saving me."

I nodded awkwardly. "Your injuries. .." I pointed at the injuries on his arms.

"Don't worry. I am dead anyway." He took a look at his arms quickly. " Let's leave here quickly.

                                                      ************************************************************************

I expected another horrible scene awaiting for me but I was wrong. It was a sea of flowers that greeted me. Pink, purple, light blue flowers grew over the valley and the petals were almost transparent. It should be a warm and bright scenary but somehow, I felt mysterious and strange. I never knew that there was such a place in the Underworld. 

I took a step gower and breathe into the flower scent. I sat down among the flowers and looked at the greyish skies. I felt this view was very familiar to me. It seemed that a long time ago, I was ever here... sitting down and looking at the skies.... even the scent was familiar too....

"This is the most beautiful place in the Underworld. " The boy spoke and sat beside me.

"I assumed that only Manjusa grew here." I closed my eyes. Strange, Hyesung did not mention about this place to me. I made a mental note that I would tell him about thus place when I returned.

"You are a living human. How did you enter the Underworld?" He spoke gently but I became stiff.

I opened my eyes and stared at him," Hey, don't forget that I save your life. Do not ask me about that. "

The boy nodded and pouted."I was just curious that you are so brave to enter the Underworld.  So I think there is something important here for you to do so."

"Important thing? How can that be? I do not know why I am here in the first place. I am searching for the way back to the mortal realm." I lied but I could see the short doubtful looks in his eyes.

"My name is Yesung. What about you?"  There was a innocent look and a genuine smile on him.

"I need you to take an oath. If you leak out that I am a living human, you will reborn as a dung beetle in your next life." I smirked.

Yesung blinked his eyes and nodded," I, Yesung swear that if I reveal ...."

"Kim Dongwan." I interrupted.

"I, Yesung swear that if I reveal Kim Dongwan's secret, I will reborn as a dung beetle in my next life." Yesung looked very serious.

I could not help but laughed at Yesung," You have to keep your promise."

"But... what is dung beetle?" Yesung blinked again.

"You don't know?" I quickly explained to Yesung. He face turned pale and shocked but soon he burst out laughing. 

"Living human is so interesting." Yesung continued laughing.

I stared at him as I found his words strange. However, Yesung's smile and demeanour reminded me of Jinnie. I stood up and turned to Yesung," Come,  we better find our way. I hope you can reach bliss land to be reborn. You better not commit suicide again when you are reborn. I will not be there to save you the second time." I ruffled Yesung's hair.

Yesung nodded and chuckled.