Chapter 9

Contract

 

I refuse to acknowledge the fact that I was knocked out by a senior citizen with a stick.

My head is pounding and my mouth feels parched. The first thing I hear is a rhythmic beeping. I slowly pry my eyes open and immediately squint against the stream of sunlight from the window.

Where am I?

I try to move and my muscles feel stiff. There are various bits of wires and cords attached to my body. I’m lying on a metal bed with crisp white sheets. My hand instinctively moves to the back of my head. Is that a lump I feel?

My left hand feels restricted. Something dry and papery has clasped on to my wrist. With a sense of foreboding I turn my head and lock eyes with…a tottery old woman. She is sitting in a chair next to me, holding my left hand and fixing me with a vacant smile. I stare at her, completely stunned. An odd moment of silence passes between us.

Who the heck –

“Agnes? Oh Agnes! What did I tell you about bothering the other patients?” A young nurse strides through the open door into the room. Her reprimanding tone vanishes instantly when she spots me. “Omo! Ms Kim. Please allow me to apologise!”

The nurse hurriedly peels off the old woman’s hands and ushers her out of the room. With a groan, I allow my body to flop back into the bed. Suddenly, I hear the sounds of a toilet flushing. The door of the attached bathroom swings open and Mr Lim cheerfully pops out.

“Taeyeon!” He beams. “You’re awake! The toilets of these private hospital rooms are marvellous! I believe even the toilet seats are ergonomic. Does wonders for your posture. And the lotions,” He breaks off wistfully, bringing a finger to his nose and inhaling deeply. “The lotions smell like the dew of heaven itself.” He holds out a finger towards me and kindly offers, “Do you want to sniff?”

“No thank you.” I screw up my face.  “I think I’ll pass on the dews of heaven.”

Mr Lim plops himself down on the chair next to the bed and eagerly inspects the contents of a neglected food tray by the bedside table.

“What happened?” I sound a bit hoarse. Although there is another question playing on my mind, but I push it aside.

“Youfffh wurrrh heth nndth brwwough hwoompth.” Bits of green jelly spatter out to their freedom. Mr Lim gives a sheepish smile and takes a few seconds to swallow a mouthful of hospital jello. I roll my eyes. Honestly, sometimes even I find it hard to believe that this man is one of the top corporate lawyers in the country.

At this moment, the said top lawyer has turned to happily study a plastic cup of green jello with a large chunk now eaten out of it.

“Ah apple flavoured! I’m pleasantly surprised.” He takes in my less than amused expression and says, “Oh yes, so last night – early hours of this morning, I must say, I received a phone call from a very worried and mildly intoxicated Stephanie Hwang – saying that her grandmother may or may have not killed you. The Hwangs then rushed you to this private hospital to make sure you were okay. You had a scan of your head, which was fine and the doctors said you had a concussion. You were kept in for monitoring.”

I reach for a glass of water, take a sip and ask as indifferently as I can, “Stephanie has left, I suppose?” This might have been the question I wanted to ask.

Why is Mr Lim looking at me like that? He begins with a tone more elated than I’m comfortable with, “No actually. She’s been here the whole night.” He taps his hands on the armrests of the chair he is occupying. “Right here. The hospital offered her a room to sleep in but she refused. She only left to get a cup of coffee once I arrived.”

That’s when I notice a blanket, folded neatly beside the chair. My chest feels warm and slightly tight.

Maybe it’s indigestion.

“The rest of the Hwangs stayed till it was confirmed that you will be okay.” He adds, scooping up another mound of wobbly, green jelly. “Stwepphneee!” A fresh array of translucent green pellets fly in the air.

I whip my head to the door and see Tiffany standing there holding three cups of coffee nestled in a cardboard tray. She surveys me worriedly as she steps closer.

“Tae how are you feeling?” She sets the coffee tray down and sits on the side of the bed. Her hands brush the hair out of my face.

“Better.” I give her a smile. I notice the dark circles beneath her eyes. Immediately, guilt pours over me. “Fany-ah, I will call my driver to send you home. You need to get some sleep.”

“Yaah Kim Taeyeon! You can’t get rid of me that easy!” She smiles. Her manner becomes more relaxed and she adds, “I’m just glad you’re okay.”

“Nothing can hurt me. I’m like superman.” I announce modestly.

“Superman has kryptonite, you know.” She counters with a raised eyebrow.

“And Taeyeon-sshi has halmeoni’s with canes.” Mr Lim quips. Aish! I shoot Mr Lim a pointed look.

“Speaking of which, we have confiscated halmeoni’s cane.” Tiffany informs, handing me a cup of coffee.

I take a grateful sip of the hot black liquid.

“Now all she has is her large Zimmer frame.” Mr Lim adds thoughtfully.

I splutter and cough as the hot coffee goes down my windpipe.

 

 

It’s about an hour later. I walk out of the bathroom feeling much better after having a nice refreshing shower. I still had to change into the hospital gown as the only clothes that are mine is the dress from last night. Tiffany offered to get me a change of clothes. So in the meantime, it’s just me and Mr Lim in the private suite.

I walk to the window and take a little peek outside. One of the perks of the Hwangs taking me to a private hospital was that the press hasn’t gotten news of this yet. Otherwise, there would be hoards of them parked outside.

I hear Mr Lim clearing his throat behind me. “Stephanie tried getting in touch with your parents to let them now of this incident but they were…unavailable.” He manages in an offhand manner.

I nod, unsurprised. That is expected. I don’t expect them to drop what they are doing just for something like this.

However, I catch a bitter expression on Mr Lim’s face before he turns away from me to rifle through some magazines and newspapers the hospital provided. He has never fully approved of the method in which my parents raised me. I believe he feels they should have been more involved…whatever that means.

There is a knock on the door and a group of people dressed in medical uniforms enter the room. I see a few doctors, a couple of which look like young interns, and a nurse. A man with grey hair briskly steps forward and introduces himself.

“Good morning, Ms Kim. I’m Dr Yi, one of the consultant neurologists.” He gestures to the rest of the group and says, “This is my medical team. How are you feeling today?”

“Fine, thank you. When can I leave?” I hate just sitting idly, doing nothing. At least once I get back to my apartment, there are a few files on my computer that I need to run over for work.

Dr Yi flicks through a folder. “What is the last thing you remember?”

I frown slightly as I my mind spools back on what happened last night. Well, the last thing I remember would be…err…would be a warm mouth that tasted like strawberries. Soft, smooth skin beneath my fingertips. Oh wow…my neck feels awfully warm right now.

I become hyperaware to the fact that the whole room has turned dead silent awaiting my reply. 

“Dinner. At my in-laws.” I quickly say. “Look, my memory is fine. There aren’t any gaps. I feel fine.” 

Dr Yi takes a few seconds to study me closely before he says, “If you’re feeling back to normal. You should be alright to leave later today. I just need to do a couple more tests.” He pulls out a pen torch from his coat pocket and takes a few steps towards me.

“She’s awake! Oh Taeyeonniee!” A shrill voice interrupts Dr Yi in his tracts.

No. Nonono. This can’t be real.

Like a Griffon vulture, Aunt Maggie swooshes’ in and clutches on to the nearest, and now extremely bewildered looking doctor. Mr Hwang calmly follows in behind her.

“Maggie let the doctors do their job. I’m sure Taeyeon is okay.” He says. “How are you, Taeyeon? I hope you don’t mind, we wanted to come visit. The rest are coming up soon. Michelle stopped to pick a get well card first.” Mr Hwang and Mr Lim exchange friendly greetings.

“No, I don’t mind. And I’m okay thank you for asking.” Most of my attention remains on the site before me.

“Tell me. Just. Tell. Me.” Maggie shakes the young doctor with every word. “How is she really? I can handle the truth.”

The medical team look like they don’t know what’s hit them. One of the interns holds out a folder in front of her, hiding her face. But I see her shoulders wobbling. The nurse looks like she's biting the side of her cheek to keep from laughing.

A flicker of disapproval passes Dr Yi’s face before he says, “Ms Kim should be able to go home today. I’m just going to perform some simple te –.”

“Tests?” “Don’t you need to do some tests or something? To make sure there’s no damage done?” She releases the doctor, who looks very relieved, and rushes to my side.

“Yes. As I was about to say – ,” Dr Yi’s chest puffs out in annoyance. “I’m going to do some tests. Bear with me Ms Kim, I’m going to ask you a series of questions.”

I nod my head.

“Can you tell me you full name?”

“Kim Taeyeon.” I answer.

Aunt Maggie starts clapping excitedly and gives me a ‘well done’ look.

“Your year of birth?”

“Nineteen eighty-nine.”

“Good. Now the current year.”

“Two thousand and fourrghpth – “

Somehow, after deciding that watching Grey’s Anatomy back to back and catching an episode or two of Scrubs has rightfully bestowed upon her endless medical knowledge – Aunt Maggie has helpfully shoved a tongue depressor in my mouth. She must have nicked it off the intern she was accosting.

“Don’t you need to do this as well? I see it all the time on television.” She narrows her eyes suspiciously at them, as though she caught them slacking off.

I’m rigid with mortification. Even Dr Yi looks gobsmacked. He quickly regains his composure and explains, “That is to check her tonsils, Ma’am.”

“Well?” She fires at them, unperturbed. “Are they alright?”

Dr Yi concededly peeks into my already pried open mouth and responds, “Yes, I believe so.” His mouth is twitching, trying to supress a smile.

The rest of the medical staff are trying their best to hide their amusement. Mr Lim is witnessing the whole scene with a curious expression on his face. I whip out the wooden stick from my mouth.  

No one has ever dared to do something like this before. I shut my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose, taking in controlled breaths.  

Then, something incredible happens. One by one, entering into the room is the rest of my visitors.

Michelle is carrying a bag of fruits and holding a giant get well soon card. Jason is taking everyone’s coats from them and hanging it up. Leo is…well Leo is trying to steal a fruit out of Michelle’s grasp, earning him a glare when she catches on. And my word, Judy is also strolling in, wearing an expression that implies she has been brutally retrenched from whatever upscale socialite luncheons she has planned to come here – but she is here nonetheless. I look around at their concerned smiles feeling bewildered. Instantly, whatever anger I feel vanishes.

“Oh good you’re awake!” Michelle says brightly. She places the card on the side table along with the fruits. “Halmeoni feels awful about what happened.” She adds more solemnly.

“Yeah,” Leo agrees. “She regrets not hitting harder – ouch!” Michelle gave him a firm poke in his side.

“Patrick wanted to come as well but he’s at home with my mother.” Mr Hwang explains.

“We thought it’s wiser if she stays back, in case…” Michelle trails off uneasily.

“In case she tried to finish the job.”

“Yaaah! Leo!” Michelle reprimands.

Judy is busy appraising the room. “Apparently the wife of a diplomat, Mrs Hua comes here often.” She says airily. “You know – ” She taps her nose and says in an audible whisper, “ – for touch ups.”

“So, how are you feeling Taeyeon?” Jason asks, seeing my expression.

Everyone turns their attention to me. I realize I haven’t quite said anything since they came. To be honest, I feel completely thrown. I mean, don’t they have other things they rather be doing? Why would they be here?

“I…ah...hello.” I manage, perplexed.

Leo leans closer curiously. “Maybe halmeoni did get in a good hit.”

Dr Yi inspects me with fresh concern. Oh great, now he’s going to think there is something actually wrong and postpone my discharge.

I clear my throat and force a smile. “I’m doing okay everyone. Thank you for coming. You really didn’t have to.” My smile seems to be frozen on my face. Is my eye twitching?

“Perhaps it’s wise to let the doctors carry on without us.” Mr Lim says tactfully. Everyone murmurs in agreement and hustle back out. “We’ll just be outside.”

Mr Hwang notices there is one person who hasn’t budged. “Er…Maggie? Aren’t you coming?”

Not a single movement. She stubbornly holds my arm.

“Maggie.” He presses.

She turns to me and I see genuine worry for me. Once again, I have no idea why. I smile and say, “Aunt Maggie, I will be okay.” I give her hand a reassuring squeeze for good measure.

At last she allows Mr Hwang to her out. Before the door closes, I hear her whimper, “What if she needs meee…?”

Dr Yi approaches the bed and shines a pen torch in my eyes. “Lovely family you have there, Ms Kim.”

“They’re not – ” I hesitate then continue, “Yes, thank you.”