Unforeseen Surprise

Story of Us

Sunggyu has been busy doing his vocal coaching to the new trainees that will be debuting soon - Woollim particularly chose their new group debut on the first week of January. That project has since occupied most of his boyfriend’s time away from Woohyun. Knowing what a perfectionist his hamster is, Sunggyu will not give in until the kids are polished. After all, he is not the leader of Infinite for nothing.

The older man did promised that he will stay over for dinner this time. At least, they will be able to spend the night of Christmas Eve together. Stirring the ladle to his clam chowder, Woohyun hums to himself in jovial. He barely has time to meet his boyfriend in a long while due to clashes in schedule. Unknowingly, he ends up singing out loud to himself in the empty apartment. His heavy Korean accent makes the pronunciation of the lyrics weird but none of it bothers him as he even does a little dance whenever he can.

'cause I just want you here tonight

Holding on to me so tight

What more can I do

Oh, Baby all I want for Christmas is you…

Woohyun is halfway done with chopping the ingredients for the main menu as he multitasks with the clam chowder, tasting it every now and then to make sure he gets the right taste. Tasting the soup for the last time, he lets out a satisfied smile as he turns off the stove but just as he is about to resume preparing his dinner’s ingredients, the phone rings. Wiping his hands on the Hamtaro apron, he rushes towards the sound of the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hyun...”

“Hey, princess!”

“Don’t call me that, Nam!”

Woohyun chuckled. “Yes, my beautiful?”

“I will pretend you did not just say that to me.”

Woohyun lets out a deep laughter as his boyfriend carries on with the call, “I called to say that I am unable to make it for today.”

The news is like a bomb to Woohyun. Here, he was happily preparing for dinner with plans to surprise his partner with the present that he had painstakingly found. Yet, another day– no, yet on this special holiday he is still unable to see his boyfriend. That just frustrates him so much!

 “Hyunnie? Are you there?”

“Hmm...”

“I will drop by for before Christmas okay, baby? I just need to get the kids to finish up with harmonizing then I’ll be there!”

Woohyun knows the older man is trying to make the situation better but no words can overcome his disappointment for now. They ended the call with the younger man agreeing to wait for his boyfriend to come over and in return he was received Sunggyu’s rare aegyo. It lifts his mood up a little, just a tiny bit before he hangs up. To his chagrin of the sad news, Woohyun drops himself on the brown leathered sofa and leans further in comfort as he closes his eyes.

Sitting up abruptly, Woohyun smiles when a plan forms in his head. Rushing back to the kitchen, he continues his cooking like before as he hums happily once again. It takes an hour and a half before he finds himself standing at the dining table with the packed food he brings for Sunggyu. If his boyfriend is unable to come to him for Christmas, Woohyun will go to him instead. He takes a quick shower and make sure he dresses his best before placing the food and the presents in his bag.

He takes a good look at the clock before he leaves and smiles in glee as he skips out of his apartment to his motorcycle. Roaring his way into the busy streets, Woohyun rides to Woollim. He reaches within record time and he knows better than to receive nagging for riding recklessly. Striding his way towards the practice room, he greets the staff happily. However, before he enters, he notices that he lights are off and there is no sign of his boyfriend or the trainees. Frowning at the revelation, Woohyun stomps towards the office to ask somebody about the whereabouts of his boyfriend.

Woohyun bumps into Geonam and asked about his boyfriend but what he is told shocked him instead. Sunggyu left much earlier today and mentions that he left for home. He thanks his manager before frowning again. The younger man contemplates on calling his boyfriend before firmly pressing on the call button. As the phone rings, he places the heavy bag slowly in a nearby sofa and settles down. He hears Sunggyu’s worried voice over the phone and before he can ask him where is the latter, his boyfriend beats him to it.

“Yah! Nam Woohyun! Where are you?”

“I’m at the office. Where in the world are you? I thought you had to do stay to train the kids?”

“I’m… I’m in your apartment, what are you doing there?” he hears Sunggyu letting out a sigh.

“The same reason you are in my apartment now.”

He hears his boyfriend chuckling before replying, “We are idiots aren’t we?”

“But you’re my idiot princess!”

“I’m going to beat the hell out of you when I meet you! What do we do now?”

“Stay home, I’ll come back home.”

“Actually, let’s go to the road stalls that we used to go when we were trainees.”

“I’ll meet you there then.”

It does not take long for Woohyun to ride there and since he knows the stall that his boyfriend was referring to; he can spot him almost immediately. Giving his boyfriend a peck on the cheeks, he frowns again for the umpteenth time that day.

“You cut your hair.”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“The tour ended and I just wanted to snip it all off, start anew.”

“It looks good on you though.” Woohyun then leans towards Sunggyu’s ears and whispers, “But without it might be a problem.”

He leans back with a smirk and Sunggyu gives him a hard punch on his arm.

“Have you ordered anything?”

Before he cananswer, the ahjumma fondly call out to them. Sunggyu is about to collect the food but Woohyun motions for him to sit instead. The younger man collects the food and place it on their table then opens his bag and takes the food he cooked earlier to give it to her in return as well as pay for the food. It is Christmas Eve after all and with the amount of food that Sunggyu ordered, as well the other half of his boyfriend’s share that he made is filling for the night. The ahjumma pinches his cheeks and gives him extra portion of the food they ordered.

They spend the rest of the night feeding each other and teasing before dragging their filled stomach out of the shop. The couple walk hand in hand around the neighbourhood of their old dorm, reminiscing their days as trainees and their debut. When they get tired of walking, Woohyun rides them to Hongdae where they filmed Sesame Player years ago and settles at Da Vinci café where they drank coffee in the first episode. They choose a secluded corner of the newly renovated café after buying their drinks and signing for the staff as they continue on with their previous talk.

Only when the clock strikes midnight did they exchange gifts but it does not beat the time they get to spend together and that comical surprise they intend to have for each other earlier. After emptying their drinks, they head out hand in hand again to head back. Woohyun is about to start the engine of his machine when Sunggyu cups his cheeks and gives him a gentle kiss.

“Merry Christmas, handsome,” Sunggyu whispers as he closes his eyes and leans his forehead on Woohyun’s.

“Merry Christmas, baby.” Woohyun cups his cheeks and pecks his forehead.