Chapter 4

This is How The Society Works; (Not) Arranging Our Fates

 

Hyera hurriedly stands up and runs to the man, as the man slowly walks to the counter. “Oppa!” Hyera shouts, clutching to the man’s sleeve.

 

The man surprised and then look to his side, just to find himself looking at beautiful brown orbs that looking straight to his eyes. That beautiful orbs seems to search something, it fill with hopes, but in a second the hopes gone. He can see the beautiful orbs now filled with sadness, as if in a second tears will drop from them.

 

“I’m sorry! I don’t –I just –I thought you were someone else. I’m sorry. Really sorry,” Hyera said as she withdraw her hands. She bow to the man a couple of time, she can feel her eyes become watery, but she hold the tears back. She really have her hope high when she saw the man standing at the door. She just want to cry right now.

 

“It’s okay. Are you alright?” The man asked as he realize her watery eyes.

 

“Ne, I’m fine. Once again, I’m sorry. I better go, I’m sorry to disturb you,” with that Hyera walk back to her table at the corner. The man just eyeing her back as she walks away, and then the man returned his attention to the worker on the counter, after that the man walk upstairs, but he glanced to Hyera once, before he lift his feet to step on the stairs.

 

Ahna who have seen the scene before walked to Hyera, “What is that before, Hyera-ah? Did he look like Minjae?” a concern is evidence in her voice. True, she worried about Hyera, she never seen her sad face, not even once.

 

Hyera just giving her usual bright smile, “Ne, Unnie. I guess I just miss him so much. I didn’t even realize I running until my hand touch his sleeve. But he really did look like him…” Hyera’s mind back to the man she approach earlier.

 

“Alright, Hyera. Don’t think about Minjae anymore, anyway the owner said that this shop is going to have new owner by the end of the month. That man earlier is the lawyer that will take care of all the things needed,” Ahna said while sitting on the seat in front of Hyera.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, this morning the owner said that he will leave everything like the usual, but he didn’t know what will happen to the shop next. He said the new owner hasn’t decided of what to do to this shop. The owner said he just wish the new owner will not make all of us unemployed. I don’t know he was such a softie, I even saw tears coming out from his eyes,” Ahna said with a little chuckle, but the smile on her face isn’t her usual smile. Ahna felt a bit sad that she will not see the owner anymore, even though all he did was scold her when she made a little mistake.

 

“Then, there’s a chance that this shop will not change, right Unnie? You will not become unemployed, and I still can come here everyday and talk with you, until the new owner decides what to do with this shop,” Hyera said with a calm voice and inside, she really hope the owner wouldn’t change anything of the shop.

 

“True, there’s a chance it will happen,” Ahna just simply answered.

 

*******

 

“So, Mr. Lee here’s the contract. You can read it first, and tell me if anything’s not meeting your expectations,” Kim Joonmyun handed the big brown envelope to Mr. Lee and the older man took it, open it and he began reading the content seriously, not missing a single word.

 

“Wait, so even if later Mr. Park want to demolished the shop, I can’t give my concern in it? Then how about my employees? Did he really gonna fired them all? They all have been with me for many years, how can you just fired them?” Mr. Lee spontaneously asked Joonmyun when he read one of the clauses.

 

Joonmyun let out a sigh, “Yes, Mr. Lee. If in the future he want to demolish this shop, you can’t have a voice in it. That’s why he offered you a lot of money, so you won’t have anything to go against him,” he explain with a calm voice, while inside he really have a headache because this Mr. Park who happens to be one of his bestfriends suddenly asked him to make a contract and deal with it.

 

Joonmyun can guess why his bestfriend want to buy this coffee shop, and he really oppose it, but he can’t do anything when the said man just ignores all of his calls so Joonmyun had to go all the way to his bestfriend’s house, but even after that his bestfriend still holding on to his stand, so Joonmyun has no choice. Mr. Lee seems to have a deep thought, but in the end he just nod his head and accept all of the clause made. And so, by the end of the month, the shop will be Mr. Park’s.

 

*******

 

Days passed by, Hyera already had her final tests, she just need to wait for the result. It’s not likely she will fail, she’s one of the smartest students in her school. Every day happens like usual, she go to the shop after school, even when she’s in her exam-week. Now, when all of her obligation at school was done, she’s free to come to the shop from when the shop open, till the shop close, and she even try apply for a job at the shop. Not that she needs money, but because she wants to have a reason for staying at the shop.

 

Mr. Lee unexpectedly accepted her, despite the nagging he threw about too many workers he have. So, Hyera’s life as a worker begins. But even though she was working, she kept glancing to the front door every time the bell chimes. Even if she was taking customer’s order, bringing customer’s order, or when she was moping the floor, when the bell chimes, her head would automatically turn to the front door.

 

She already knew the owner will change by the end of the month, so this decision to work here is right. This way, she can know who the new owner is, and what will the new owner do to the coffee shop.

 

Her parent didn’t know she work at the shop, not that they would against it anyway, and she hasn’t answer her parent about the arranged marriage. Besides, she quite busy with applying to Art and Design at Korea University. She’s still waiting for the letter of announcement to arrive. Her parent haven’t ask her again, so the topic seems off from her mind. Christmas will arrive in two days, she was working when the text came this afternoon, the text said her parent will be home for Christmas. She just happy her parent want to spent Christmas together despite their busy schedule.

 

*******

 

Mr. and Mrs. Shin arrived on morning of December 24th, they didn’t inform their daughter, in fact they have another schedule. They will meet with Mr. Park this morning, and they will be having dinner together along with Hyera and Mr. Park’s son. This dinner will be the first meeting of Hyera and Mr. Park’s son.

 

*******

 

They were eating their brunch at Italian Restaurant when Mr. Shin bring the topic about the arranged marriage, “so, Mr. Park, have you inform Chanyeol? That we have arranged marriage for him on February next year?”

 

With a laugh, Mr. Park answered, “Of course I have told him. Don’t worry, he didn’t oppose this arranged marriage we’ve set for him.”

 

Indeed, Park Chanyeol didn’t oppose, but he never agreed either. He simply didn’t answer when his father told him. But he will most likely follow his father order, especially when the company is in the talk.

 

“How about your daughter, Mrs. Shin?” Mrs. Park asked.

 

“We have told her, but she hasn’t given her answer. We don’t want to push her, as she was about to take her final exams. Didn’t want her to fail, right?” Mrs. Shin laughs a bit, “but she will surely give her answer tonight, I don’t think she can reject this arranged marriage in front of you two.”

 

“I know, your daughter know her manner in front of elders,” Mrs. Park said and they all laugh together, before continuing their bruch.

 

“Then, tonight they will be official.”