Chapter 2

This is How The Society Works; (Not) Arranging Our Fates

 

Meanwhile on the second floor of the shop

 

“So, are you satisfied with the price I’m offering, Mr. Lee?” The young man asks the older one.

 

“It’s more than I can imagine, Mr. Park. But, what will you do with this shop once it’s yours? You even offer that much amount of money to me, you really want this shop?” Asks Mr. Lee with a smile that splits his face into half.

 

“It’s none of your business. Isn’t the money enough to buy the shop, and even to stop you from asking? What I do with this shop later is for me to think, not you,” the so-called Mr. Park answered, still with his cold face and his ignorant attitude.

 

“Ah, yes.. I’m sorry, Mr. Park." He coughs. "So, shall we continue to discuss the contract? Or will we continue tomorrow when there’s a lawyer to make sure the authenticity of all the documents and contract?” Mr. Lee squeaks a little at first, but then with a somewhat awkward expression on his face.

 

“That’s okay, tomorrow my lawyer will come here instead of me, and you can discuss all of the documents needed for this contract with him. His name is Kim Joonmyun. Just to remind you again, this shop will be mine by the end of the month, so I hope you will clean up your things here before the time comes. Leave the workers here though, let them still work here while I decide what I will do with this shop. Is that clear, Mr. Lee? Anything you'd like to ask?”

 

“No, Mr. Park. Everything’s clear. Nice to do business with you,” Mr. Lee says while offering his hand to shake hands with the young man. While the young man just accepts the handshake with no expression on his face at all.

 

“I’ll take my leave now, Mr. Lee,” the young man says, bowing his head to the elder, whereupon he bows as well. Then the young man raises, about to go downstairs.

 

With cold eyes, Park Chanyeol scans the shop, his jaw tensed when he spots the table on the corner, the one where Hyera's seated. He recalls memories from a year ago, exactly the same date as today, December 10th, while his feet root on the floor. The unpleasant memories flood his mind, until he hears someone behind him talk to him.

 

“Excuse me, Sir, would you like to order? There’s an empty chair by the front. I’ll take your order,” Leo, one of the workers, says with a cheerful tone in Chanyeol's ears.

 

By the time Chanyeol turns his body, the cheerfulness and the smile on Leo’s face disappear. Chanyeol’s gaze is so cold, his face without any expression as he just shakes his head. “No, I’m out now.” Then he gets out of the shop.

 

Not long after that, it’s time for the shop to close. Hyera leaves albeit grudgingly, sometimes looking back at the seat she sat in earlier. After saying goodbye to Ahna, she walks to the car that Mr. Jang, her chauffer, already waits in. After opening the door, she gets in and greets Mr. Jang with a chuckle.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Agasshi,” Mr. Jang replies with a smile. “Anywhere you want to go to before going home today?” Mr. Jang asks her.

 

“Ani, Ahjussi.. I’m tired, let’s just head straight home,” Hyera answers him with a cheerful tone and a smile plastered on her face. Mr. Jang smiles and starts driving the car back to her house.

 

At Hyera’s House

 

Mr. and Mrs. Shin just come back from their business trip, and now wait for Hyera at the living room, while discussing something serious; even the maids are sent to anywhere but the living room.

 

“You know she's still waiting for him. Did you forget she come to the coffee shop every day? And I bet she’s going there again this time,” Mrs. Shin says to her husband with a sad expression. They both know what their little girl has been through. The truth is they even know what happened to the said man. But in order not to break her heart, they remain silent and pretend they know nothing.

 

“I know, yeobo. But what can we do? He’s gone, and I bet he didn’t even think about our daughter. I know it must be hard for her, but this is hard for our company, too. We need the Park family this time. Merger both company will do goods for both parties, and we can leave Hyera without worries, you know that Mr. Park’s son is a responsible man. He handles everything in the company carefully, and I believe adding our daughter to his list of responsibility is not a big deal. Our daughter is not a bad girl, she’s more mature than the girls in her age, she will definitely be some kind of help for him. Beside, we started with arranged marriage too, yeobo. And now, see where we stand? We love each other deeply, right?” Mr. Shin says while his mind drifts to the first years of their marriage, and then chuckles.

 

“You’re right. We started as an arranged couple, for both our family business. You know, you were such a meanie back then. How did I come to love you?” Mrs. Shin laughs as her mind drifted to the time when they were both young until she remembers something. “But still.. You know the rumor said Mr. Park’s son is cold towards women. What if he’s cold towards our Hyera? Or worst, what if he’s.. you know..” Mrs. Shin says with horrified expression.

 

“What? What if he’s what?”

 

“You know.. have interest in men, not women?” Mrs. Shin lowers her voice, afraid someone might hear her words.

 

Before Mr. Shin can answer, the door bursts open, and in came Hyera with her bright smile. “I’m home~~!” A bit startled, the elders stand up from the couch. “Oh, Omma! Appa!” then she runs towards them and hugs them.

 

“Omo!! Hyera-ah you startled us. Aigoo, my poor heart..” Mrs. Shin says after she releases her hug, then grasping her heart with her hand. While the younger just laughs, but soon the parents join in. Mr. Shin thinks about how her wife didn’t change even a single bit from when he first got to know her.

 

“I miss you so much, Omma, Appa! Is your business in China finished?” Hyera asks with eagerness in her voice, she’s too ecstatic to see her parents back. While her parents just feel guilty towards her, since they are back just to inform about the arranged marriage; the following day they will be flying to China again.

 

“We’re sorry, dear.. We’ll fly back to China tomorrow, we've just come back to take care of a few things,” Mrs. Shin looks at Hyera and realizes the twinkle in her daughter’s eyes dimmed for a while, before it comes back.

 

“Ah, ne. It’s alright Omma, Appa, I’m still glad I can see you both,” Hyera says with her cheerfulness in her voice. Her action just makes her parent feel more guilty though.

 

“Dear, we have something to tell to you. We want to hear your opinion about this,” Mr. Shin finally responds while gesturing the women to sit on the couch. Hyera thought it was unusual for her father asking her about her opinion, since she didn’t know much about business. She's interested in art, singing, drawing, and making things after all, not in doing business. Nonetheless, she still nods her head and sits beside her mother, opposite to her father.

 

“What do you think if you were getting married next February, after you graduated?” her father carefully says while her mother just eyes Hyera.

 

“What?!” Hyera’s eyes widen the size of a saucer, her looking back and forth her parent.

 


A/N: Is the story boring??

I'll be really happy if you comment :D :D :D or even better subscribe and upvote this story~~ <3