02

The Forbidden Love

I looked at the lucky girl beside me with a pair of envious eyes. She is a lucky one for having Myungsoo as her boyfriend.  A bitter smile was plastered on my face when I remembered what happened yesterday. My sister and my best friend are happily dating, while I am left with nothing but sadness. 

The girl beside who has a long silky blonde hair,  a pair of attractive eyes, and a body to die for, is my sister. She has her phone wrap around her fingers, giggling everytime she would hear a small beep from it. Maybe she is texting her boyfriend. I studied my sister's overall; she really is the 'it' girl and the perfect one. There is no doubt that every boys in town are head over heels over her. She is undeniably perfect.

And there is no doubt the perfect Myungsoo fell in love with the perfect girl. They make a good match. Perfect plus perfect. Of course, imperfect and a perfect person don't match, right?

I peeped on their text messages, and I'm sure my sister won't mind me peeping on their messages. We had done this a lot; we are sisters, remember? I regretted that moment when I peeped on their text messages. They must be happily inlove. My sister turned into a tomato when she read the message:

"I love you so much, Jess.''

I forced a smile on my face—needless to say, a bitter smile. I guess this is the end of it. No, I should end it for their own happiness. I should accept the fact that Myungsoo and I are never meant to be each other. I keep on peeping at their messages at each other; such an idiot, you may call me it. It feels like  I was about to burst with what I'm seeing. Why am I being such a sadist and keep on looking at the messages when I know myself it would hurt me? 

I laughed hurtfully to myself. I went outside to be able to breathe fresh air, again. I bought sweet potatoes from a nearby store. I remember Myungsoo used to cheer me up with sweet potatoes. Surely, potatoes became my favorites and it really cheers me up. It's funny how Myungsoo became part of my life and my life would be lifeless without him when he is the cause of my downfall.

I seriously need to cheer up and move on. He is driving me nuts. I remembered there is a festival near our house. I smiled in hope it would cheer me up—even if it's just for a second or two. I jogged towards the festival and a fortune teller booth caught my eyes. I've never had anyone guess my future, but it wouldn't hurt a try, I guess.

I skipped towards the booth happily. 

"Hello there, young lady. Here for a fortune teller?" I happily nodded at the woman in violet robes. She gestures me to follow her inside a small tent.

She gestures me to sit down in a wooden stool as she sat down behind a table with some stuffs on it. She placed cards neatly on the table.

"Go ahead and pick any card you like." I followed my feel in which card should I get, and I decided to get one mysterious card. I politely handed her the card and her face changed in horror. She gulped and looked at me with a unexplainable expression on her face. I blinked in confusion. 

"W-what's wrong?" I nervously asked.

"Have you ever been so down and miserable these days, dear?" She worriedly asked and  she keeps looking at the card and then to me. I nodded carefully. 

"Why is that?" I anxiously asked and my hands funbled on their own. She looked at me seriously and warned me,

"You have to be careful in everything you do. You have to think thoroughly before doing any decisions, any. If you don't, you would end up hurting people. Your future lies in your hands, and I tell you, you have to be careful in what you do. You should know what you want and what you need, know what is right and what is wrong, and know your limits. You just have to be careful." She worriedly told me.

"Please, be careful or you'd end up hurting your loved ones..." She said and I thanked her. I walked away. Thoughts rushed inside my mind. I walked home with train of thoughts. What does she mean by I need to be careful? I stopped on my tracks and sat down on a bench near our house. I called someone; someone very close to me. 

"Yoboseyeo?" The other line stated lazily, and it made me chuckle. Anytime, anywhere, she is such a lazy bum. 

"YAH! SEOHYUN-AH!" She shouted from the other line and I could hear a loud thump.

"H-hey, Yoona unnie, a-are you o-okay?" I worriedly asked. I heard her hissed and cursed. And the weird thing is, she mentioned Ninja Turtle  and Cinderella.

"You really surprised me, Hyunnie! I missed you and you haven't called me for awhile!" She shouted and I facepalmed my face. 

"Unnie, it has only been two days since we last talked, and I have something important to tell you." And I swore to God I had heard a dolphin screamed.

"D-don't t-tell me.... You're d-dating Myungsoo and g-got pregnant?" I sighed pathethically. I just called her two days ago and she is updated about my life. How could I possibly be pregnant?

"No, unnie. Listen here, Jessica unnie and Myungsoo are d-dating..." It took me a minute to tell those dreadful words, and my tears flowed unknowingly. On the other line, I'm pretty sure she was surprised at the sudden news. She knows how much I love him. She knows how long I love him. She knows the fooling things I did for him. She knows how much I had sacrificed for his happiness.

"A-nd, I-I went to a f-fortune t-teller. She was worried and told me to be c-careful in e-very d-decisions I make." I stuttered sadly. I heard a long sigh from the other line. Together, we had always admire him. We had always put effort in making him notice us. We sacrificed great things for him. Yes, she also likes him, but not to the extent as I do. She only admires him but I don't. I came to love him.

"I feel undeniably sad. How could your sister take him so effortlessly whereas you did everything and even risking your own life for him! But hey, not all guesses about our futures are true. Some are fails and some are true. After all, we should believe to the boss above us." She comforted me, and all of my sadness were washed away—even if it's just for a second. We talked more and then bid goodbyes. 

I gloomily went to our house. I reached out for our main door, and to my astonishment, it was unlocked. I'm pretty sure I locked the door before heading out. My stomach tied into knots. What if someone broke in to our house and did something to my sister? I went inside and hurriedly went to our room. The door was slightly ajar. I peeked inside and tears immediately fell. My tears flowed like a river and I could taste the bitterness and sadness. I ran as quietly as possibly to nowhere.

I just saw them passionately kissing with their hands wrap around waists. 

I forced a smile on my face and wiped my tears using the back of my hand. It feels like I had been stabbed and shot plenty of times. Come to think of it, I would always be a witness of their love for each other. No words could explain how hurt I am when they told me they are dating. No words could explain how miserable was I when I saw their text messages, and no one would ever know how I feel when I saw them passionately kissing.

'How could your sister take him effortlessly whereas you did everything and even risking your life for him!'

'How could your sister take him effortlessly whereas you did everything and even risking your life for him!

'How could your sister take him effortlessly whereas you did everything and even risking your life for him!

And then it hit me hard. My fist turned into a ball and the next think I know was I was burning with anger and plotting an evil plot.