The Fear

Zelo's Tomatoes

 

Part 1

          Everyone knows that Zelo loves cherry tomatoes. He screams ‘Neckoya’ every time someone mentions the fruit. Everyone knows not to get between that kid and his tomatoes. But, the un-told story is …… how did this obsession start?

          Honestly Zelo hated tomatoes, apples, and all red food. Apples especially though. Why? Simple. When he was about seven his Umma’s sister took him to church. But, Zelo or Junhongie as he was often called did not listen as most seven year olds would. However he had promised his Umma that he would try to listen that day. Unfortunately, the sermon that Sunday was about Adam and Eve. Zelo thought that the preacher was loud and scary. Then, the preacher started talking about the apple that Adam and Eve ate. Now as a typical seven year-old’s mind would Zelo’s mind exaggerated the situation. He thought that if he ate an apple or anything red he would go to hell. So Zelo told himself he would not eat anything red ever again.         

          “Umma I can’t eat that,” Zelo cried.

          “Why not sweetie. It will make you big and strong,” Him Chan said to his son.

          “But, Umma I will go to hell if I eat that I will go to hell,” Zelo exclaimed.

Him Chan collapsed against the kitchen counter laughing his head off. The sound of his laughter brought YoungGuk into the kitchen.

          “What’s up yebo,” he asked casually.

          “Zelo thinks that eating his apples will make him go to hell!!” Him Chan said still dying of laughter causing Zelo to puff out his cheeks and pout.

          “Well I don’t think it’s going to hurt you, but, if you really do you cannot eat them. Ok Zelo?” YoungGuk said to his son.

          “Cansamida Appa,” Zelo said and went back to his ramen. He didn’t eat his apples.

          One day after Zelo came home from kindergarten his umma made an exciting announcement. “Jun Hongie?”

          “Yes Umma,” Zelo responded he was eating his favorite after-school snack, kimbop rolls.

          “Appa and Umma’s friends just moved from Busan to Seoul. Do you remember Uncle Dae Hyun and Young Jae?” Himchan asked.

          Zelo looked thoughtful and said, “I remember they gave me TOTOMATO,” he said naming his favorite toy.

          “Yes that is them. They have a little boy who is about your age. I’m sure he wants to have some friends. Do you want to meet him?” asked Him Chan.

          “Yes!!! Can we bring him some lemons from our tree?” asked Zelo excitedly. He let out an excited squeal when his umma nodded yes.

 

Across Town

        “Umma do you think he’ll like me?” asked Jong Up with hopeful eyes while clutching DADAMATO to his body.

          Young Jae turned and chuckled at his son. “I’m sure he will Jun Hong is a very nice boy.” Jong Up’s thousand-watt smile lit up at his umma’s response as his eyes folded into crescents. Although he got his smile from Daehyun, his chubby cheeks came from Young Jae. “Now can you run and get Appa for dinner?” Young Jae asked his son laughing to himself as Jongup nodded and dashed out of the room.

          “Appa, Appa,” yelled Jongup jumping on his father’s back.

          “Uppie you scared me,” Dae Hyun laughed. Putting down his brush he switched his son to his front side so he could hug him properly.

 Jong Up pulled his Appa’s mask off and smiled at him. “Dinner’s ready,” he said smiling.

“Well we can’t keep umma waiting can we?” Dae Hyun smiled. “Go wash up and I’ll go help Umma set the table.” As Jong Up set off to the bathroom his red hair bouncing up and down, Dae Hyun headed to the kitchen. He back-hugged Young Jae resting his chin on the younger’s shoulder. “What’s for dinner Jae?”

“Meat, rice, kimichi, and cheesecake for dessert,” said Young Jae.

          Dae Hyun’s eyes lit up at the mention of his favorite food much like Jong Up’s had earlier at the mention of a new friend. Young Jae laughed at Dae Hyun’s transformation from a mature adult to a giddy schoolboy. Dae Hyun spun Young Jae around hugging him tightly before placing a kiss lightly on the top of his head. Young Jae let out a chocked laughed then said, “Crushing me Dae.”

          “Whoops minhae,” Dae Hyun responded giving Young Jae a quick peck as an apology before going to set the table. Young Jae shook his head and followed Dae Hyun with the food. He slapped Dae Hyun’s hand away from the meat. What he didn’t expect to happen however, was for Jong Up to suddenly appear behind him and grab the cheesecake. The Appa and son dashed into the son’s bedroom closing the door behind them and locking it. “YAH! JUNG DAE HYUN! JONG UPPIE!!! Get out NOW!” Young Jae yelled infuriated. Without waiting for a response he his heels and marched away.

          Behind the door Jong Up looked at his Appa his eyes wide, well as wide as his eyes could get. “Umma is in Super Sayan mode I don’t think we should go out there right now,” Jong Up concluded.         

“Nope,” Dae Hyun pulled two forks out of his pocket. “We’ll wait for him to cool down.” Jong Up nodded and the two began to enjoy the cheesecake.