Angel.

The Bus Stop Boy

 

"Huh?"

 

"There's no one here other than you." What? "Let's go." Wait! Myungsoo takes my wrist and drags me out of the shelter. This can't be! I pull my hand away. He turns to me, shock. "Taeyeon?"

 

"L-liar..." I quickly turn to look behind me. Is he there? Please tell me he's there!!! "Sunggyu!"
My eyes widen.


"Taeyeon? Are you ok? I felt like you were acting suspicious so I followed you, but you just sat here talking to yourself for a long time. What are you hiding from me?" Myungsoo question. "What are you looking at?" There was a quiver in his voice. He scans the area. No one was around and it appears unusually quiet. "C-can you see?" Myungsoo wasn't sure if he should had asked this question or not. 
Without even having the urge to cry, a tear rolls out my eye. I can slowly start to feeling the hair on my skin stand up. Unbelievable. 


"Sunggyu..." I sniff. "Say something." He was there. I can still see him; hear his movements, feel his presence. He was standing there, with that usual soft glow. His face was dejected and aloof. Another tear drips down my jaw. This hit me hard. I always knew there was something special about him. I knew there was a reason why we met, but I never thought he'd be a spirit... However, he was still my only light... Something I've never seen before.


"Taeyeon?" Myungsoo puts his hand on my shoulder.

 


"Sunggyu, talk to me!" I utter. He wasn't even looking at me. Say something idiot!

 

"Who are you talking to, Taeyeon?" Myungsoo tugs at me. "It seems like you're tired. We're returning." I pull away.


"Why didn't you say anything?! A-are you just going to end it like this?!" I march back to the shelter. He still won't look me in the eyes. "Is this why you won't say anything?! Because you're-"

 

"Dead! Taeyeon! I'm a rejected soul! Why are still trying to-"

 

"I don't care!" I reach out for his hand.

 

"Don't touch me!" He shouts and backs away. "Now that you acknowledged me as a spirit you can't even feel my touch anymore. Can't you see, we're different beings!" The tears weren't stopping, but so was I. This can't be the ending to us--to my first love!

 

"Taeyeon! Is there something there?!" Myungsoo asks again. I squeeze my hands into a fist.
It pained my heart to see Sunggyu look so rejected and sorrowful. He knew it'd come to this. That's why he was pushing me away earlier. However, I still didn't want this at all.  To tell the truth, I don't care if he's not human. I've been with humans my whole life and I've never connected to anyone like this before. 

 

"Sunggyu..." I huff. "Are you lonely?" The tension in his face loosen. "H-how long have you been alone?" I continue and take a step forward. "Don't pull away from me because you think it's best for me... Cause you don't even know... How lonely I've been too... Sunggyu?" I lift my hand up to his face. His aura was warm like usual. "You're my ang-"

 

"I'm lonely." He mouths. I stop. "I'm so lonely..." His voice wasn't the usual calm one. He turns around with his back facing me. "Remember when I said that you shouldn't allow me to be attached?" Sunggyu... His back was broad and shivering. It seemed as if one touch can break this fragile build up. "It won't do you any good." He murmurs. "I won't be able to let you leave. So go now!"

 

"Sunggyu?" I flinch backwards. I can't just abandon you like this.

 

"Taeyeon! Your father called! Let's return! He called the hospital! We're leaving tonight!" Myungsoo shouts from a couple of feet away. I gasp. Time is definitely not on our side. I gaze at his face. He was glaring at me but I can tell he was trying to hold it in. A scream, a cry, I don't know what but he is trying really hard to not let it show.
I wipe my wet face. This isn't how it was suppose to end! I don't want to leave like this.

 

"Sunggyu, I don't want to leave you... B-but I also made a promise..." A promise to my father to marry Myungsoo.

 

"Taeyeon come! We're leaving!" What do I do? I feel that if I leave him now, we'll never see each other again.
My hand was shaking. I step back. Do I really have to leave like this? Is this the right choice?
"Taeyeon! Let's hurry back before it starts raining! It's getting cloudy again!"
Sunggyu won't stop me. He knows it won't work out no matter what. Even if I stay, it's not like a human can be with a ghost. I'm incapable of caring for myself too. I've been cared for my entire life. What can I do to stay with Sunggyu anyways?
I sniff and turn around. I really have to leave him. I'll end up being nothing but a burden...

 

"Taeyeon." I stop. "Do you really love me?" His voice echoed in my head. No one may believe me, but I do. I've never felt this way before. My chest constantly feel as if it's going to burst. My mind is filled with you. I'll die... For you... Yes, I'll die.
Suddenly I can start feeling the air around me change. The wind was picking up again as the rustling on the trees were becoming louder. 

 

"Taeyeon!" Myungsoo shouts. I try to reply, but my voice wasn't coming out. In the distant, I heard a vehicle coming towards us. "Taeyeon!!!"

"Taeyeon..." It is certain that Sunggyu's voice was in my head. I felt a chilling touch wrap itself around my shoulders. My back was engulf with a huge cold wall. Sunggyu's breathing was right in my left ear. "Stay~~"
Badump. My body froze. I couldn't even move my tongue. I felt the tips of his fingers caress up my neck. "If you love me then stay~~" He hums.
For some strange reason, I wasn't afraid. It felt as if I was floating away. Like the ground underneath me had crumbled away. I sense nothing but emptiness. The sounds of Myungsoo and the feel of the wind. We were in nothingness, and I didn't care.
"D-don't go~ I'm so lonely~ It's too quiet here~" Sunggyu's tone was trembling. We were in darkness. This world, I knew much about. He turned me to face him. His glow was the only life in this place. Even I couldn't see my hands right in front of me. Sunggyu's eyes were teary and reflected that beautiful brown color of summer. I simply close my eyes and embrace him. I won't leave...

Before, we were in endless world of blackness, but now we can at least accompany one another. Only the two of us, floating like this forever.
"Fifteen years ago... This bus shelter was rebuilt. On a rain-filled morning, a man was waiting at the bus stop. He'd just picked some carnations from the field across the road for his girlfriend. She promised to meet up with him, who was just in the next town. He thought it'd be nice to surprise her, because it had been a while since they've even seen each other..."
I open my eyes. He was still there, beautiful as before. Anguish pasted itself onto his expression. I didn't see his tears but his heart was definitely crying. He looked like an injured little boy, who needed a hug. 
"Unfortunately, the road turned into mud and the bus lost control of its wheel... It crashed into the shelter. The man died instantly and... The girlfriend was never in the bus ride, ever."

 

"Sunggyu..."

 

"She was probably coming to break up with him anyways..." I almost cried again when he shuts his eyes and leans his forehead onto my shoulder. Is this what he meant by a rejected soul? "She got married a week later..." He whispers.

 

"Sunggyu! I'll stay with you! I won't go back to see my father. I'll be with you!!!" I throw my arms around his neck. He widen his eyes. "I won't leave you anymore. Don't cry! Don't think about her! Forget everything and only look at me. I'll stay!!!" I shout and gasp for air. I was actually feeling a little lightheaded, afterall this isn't my dimension. Sunggyu pulls me closer to him. I rest my chin on his shoulder as well.
"You know... Ever since I was born... I was lonely... I was always different from the other kids, my mother even abandoned me, and my father always had eyes for Myungsoo... That's the life of this rich city girl..." Sunggyu's body was cold compared to his light. It felt as if I was leaning on a pool of water. "I'm just a tool, a doll... I had no one." He slowly pulls me away and places his palm on my cheek.
The whole story about my mother was a lie. It sounded 'prettier' that she had died protecting me, instead of running off with her own chauffeur, six years ago. Plus... The reason mother ran away was because father didn't love her and never will. That's why he has Myungsoo... Since we were little, Myungsoo had always admired my father. I guess his dream came true. I just never understood why father would engage me to him...
Maybe to make him part of the family?
Well Myungsoo, did you think you could replaced a mother's role?

 

"Taeyeon your eyes are like flowers, and your tears are the wilting petals... It's beautiful." He smiles. It felt like forever since I've seen it. Sunggyu is being old fashioned again, but it felt nice. However, I hate my eyes.

 

"My eyes are useless." He runs his thumb over my withering petal. I deeply inhale and exhale. "Remember, I said I had a secret... You're my secret. Because of my condition, I was able to sense you better than any person." I smile. "I've loss the ability to see since I was one... I don't even know how the color red or blue looks like." He runs his thumb over my other cheek. It started out as a tumor, but it was removed. I wondered why I never saw again. "They're the reason mother despised me and the reason father uses me."
Sunggyu looked a little surprised at first, but pulled me into another hug. 
"But I know the colors of summer, because you reflect them, warmly and comfortly." I rub my cheek against his soft hand. It was the touch of baby skin.

 

"I never noticed, since they looked normal to me..."

 

"That's cause you're the only thing I was able to see..." I grin. Sunggyu wiped away another petal. Here I was, getting emotional again. "While I was wondering in the land of darkness, I spot a light and fell in love with it... Your light is so lovely, Sunggyu... That's why I said you're my angel." I whisper.
It's fine like this, forever. We'll just float and embrace each other's loneliness away. The surgery didn't have a high percentage of succeeding anyways...

 

"Ok..." Sunggyu gently kisses my forehead. "Taeyeon, The bus is coming. Walk forth."

 

"Ok."

Thanks for reading !!!
BTW that's a code I put to read your username, so I'm not stalking you or anything haha.

Thanks for subbing and liking this short story! I hope you enjoyed it!!! I had to rushed the ending since it's deadline time.

I might do an epilogue but it depends if people want it or not (upvote) but as of right now, the story is COMPLETED!!!!

Here's the challenge!