Break

Strings

Henry smiled shakily as he looked towards his old instrument. He hasn't played the instrument in weeks, let alone touch it. It just brought back memories that he'd rather forget.

"Henli, what are you doing to the violin?"

"Hmm? I'm replacing the strings, Mimi!"

"Why?"

"Cuz they're starting to get old. Umma says that when the strings start to get weary, you have to replace them."

"Weary? Can't you just... tighten them some more?"

"....They'll break Mimi, and be off key."

"Is it ever... painful, Henli? To change the strings?"

"Sometimes. Only when the strings snap and get ahold of your finger. It stings and I usually bleed."

"Ah- be careful! I don't want you to get hurt!"

"It's okay, Mimi- everything has to break sometime."

They used to be inseparable. Best friends. But within the recent years, Zhou Mi's eyes began to wander. Zhou Mi's voice became more and more distant and now Henry found himself more often than not, waiting around for each promise, with some small hope that Zhou Mi still liked him. He would sit and stare at any inanimate thing and just wait - telling himself that this time for sure Zhou Mi would come over as promised, and devote all his attention to Henry, just like he used to. Just like it once was.

This isn't what bothered Henry most. It was the distance. The lack of interest on Zhou Mi's part; knowing that the older males mind was always elsewhere now. Always.

The evening was just reaching that time where the sun had nestled it's way underneath the horizon, but left its hue of royal blue, just enough to light up the world. The birds were still singing their melodies outside, hopping from tree to tree.

Henry sighed and fell backwards onto his bed, feeling angry with himself for being so pathetic. So damn weak.

Zhou Mi knew all the right words to feed him each time Henry called him out, and Henry ate them up like a greedy pig, desperate to taste those words, just to feel better for a little while, no matter how bitter they tasted.

Henry was okay for a while. Even after all the planned lunches that Zhou Mi skipped because of Zera. Even after Zhou Mi started to cancel their movie night because Zera invited him to stay over. Even after Zhou Mi didn't visit him in the hospital when he had contracted a deadly case of pneumonia. However, the young boy didn't want to be on the sidelines anymore. So, he confessed. He confessed everything, in hopes that Zhou Mi would accept him and at least spend more time with him. How foolish.

Henry's eyes stung with tears, and he didn't even try to hold them back. He could still feel the pain in his left cheek where Zhou Mi's fist had landed. He could still see Zhou Mi's eyes. There were many emotions- hate, anger, disgust, but no remorse. No remorse for hitting his best friend.

Henry clenched his jaw. It had hurt so bad when Zhou Mi hit him. Henry curled into himself and let out a whimper. He was alone now.

Henry lifted his head and wiped away the tears that were trailing down his chubby cheeks.

"Your cheeks are like a chipmunks, Henry. They're cute, like you."

Henry smiled bitterly as Zhou Mi's voice ran through his head. He got up slowly and stumbled his way downstairs and into the kitchen.

"I'll make you some fried rice, Henli. You look like you're starving."

He made his way over to the counter and opened a drawer, pulling out a large kitchen knife. Henry smiled and the tip, looking on in amazement as a pearl of bright red blood appeared on his finger. He turned and walked back upstairs, into his bedroom, and sat on the ground beside his violin. He once again ran his hands across the smooth expanse of the blade.

"Mochi, don't play with that! You'll cut yourself," Zhou Mi said as he snatched the knife away from Henry, who pouted.

"Mimi, I want to help!"

"Nonsense. Go back to the living room. I'm almost finished."

Henry pouted and stomped his foot.

Zhou Mi sighed and took Henry's small hands in his own large ones. Looking at the slighter boy, he smiled. "Henli, I never want to see you hurt. Please, just go into the living room."

Henry let out a broken sob. He felt so special that day. Zhou Mi had taken care of him, spoiled him- just like a lover would do.

The boy continued to cry heavily, and the tears dripped onto the silver blade, making it glint in the fading sunlight.

"Am I-I really useless, Mimi? Am I disgusting? Do I-do I really have no p-place here?" Henry asked, voice jumpy and small. He took a final look at the blade and with a shaking hand, grabbed the hilt. He looked to his left to see his violin sitting there. He brought it onto his lap; staring at the sleek, polished surface. It was flawless. When he looked at the strings, however, he frowned. Through watery eyes, he could see that they were getting old and needed to be replaced.

Henry sat on Zhou Mi's lap. He was being cuddled by the older, larger boy.

It was the last time they were together.

Henry breathed in the older boy's safe scent and clutched onto Zhou Mi's sweatshirt, trying to cuddle closer.

"Mimi?"

Zhou Mi smiled down at the younger boy. "Yes, baby?"

Henry closed his eyes and let himself savor the pet name that came off his best friend's lips. If only...

Henry buried his head in the crook of Zhou Mi's neck. "We'll be together forever, right?"

Zhou Mi chuckled. "Yes, forever. I'll never leave your side. We're best friends till the end."

"Till the end, Zhou Mi," Henry whispered, staring down at his wrists through dull, golden eyes.

One cut.

"Get away from me!"

Two.

"You're disgusting! Get out!"

Three.

"I hate you!"

Four.

"I never want to see you again, Henry!"

His wrists looked like freshly cut paper. The pure white skin was marked with four perfectly straight gashes. Henry could feel the bright crimson liquid flow down his arm. He thought it was beautiful. Just like the music that abandoned him. Just like his violin.

He turned to his other wrist.

One.

"I will hurt you, Henry. Leave."

Two.

"Don't make me do it. Leave. I don't want to look at your face."

Three.

"I said leave, you ing !"

Four.

The sound of skin on skin. A cry of pain.

Henry trembled as the effects of the blood loss caught up with him. He could barely lift his arm in front of his face. The tears had long since dried up, only leaving wet patches on the young boy's cheeks.

Henry gave out a sigh as he fell onto his side. No. It wasn't over. He was not leaving yet.

His hand shook as it took hold of the violin laying innocently by his side. He held it lovingly and the neck. He took the knife in his other hand and slid the blade beneath the strings. He closed his eyes and turned his head away, using the rest of his strength as he turned the blade up, snapping each string one by one.

Henry gasped and dropped the knife when it was over. He opened his eyes and looked at the once beautiful instrument. Patches of red were dripping off it's sides, and the bright liquid was smeared along the neck. The strings...

Henry genuinely smiled for the first time that night. He was fading. Fast.

"Zhou Mi... Look..."

Spots appeared in his vision.

"You always asked me what I was doing with my violin... always asked me to play it... Zhou Mi, look..."

His eyes closed. Henry was tired. So tired.

"It's beautiful...right, Zhou Mi?"

His frail body went slack.

"I-I'm sorry- don't hit me anymore, Mimi-!"

"Don't call me that. Never call me that name again! Now leave and never come back!"

"The strings are broken, Mimi..."

-------------

....How was that? Now, I have something to say. This goes deeper into symbolization than you might think. Go through the story and see if you can catch my references and tiny hints. I'll leave you to decide if you want to, but I'll add an explanantion of this story in a while. Thank you babies, and don't be afriad to comment!