Niteo

Angel

niteo (from Latin)- to shine, to glitter, be bright

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

-William Yeats

Being a medical student was not an easy task. Usually Kyungsoo was stuck in the Emergency Room or the library till unholy hours, working with his colleagues on assignments and getting impossible deadlines. He could see his five dorm mates(and new friends) struggle with him, and in challenging situations the mutual support was really important. During busy nights at the hospital, the freshmen took shifts. While Kyungsoo, Luhan and Suho collapsed on the couch in the staff room to sleep, the other three took over and aided the nurses and doctors. It was a wild and draining experience but for future doctors it established qualities which would be necessary for their professional survival. Because of his busy schedule, Kyungsoo didn’t even realize how quickly time slipped and before he could help it, the first half of the semester had finished, closing in on reading week. During reading week there were no lectures and while students were supposed to catch up on their work, they ended up just going home, sleeping and eating home cooked meals. Kyungsoo didn’t have that luxury, though. There were things that needed researching and books that needed reading; but more importantly he wanted to do more with his other engagements. Even though the boy regularly visited the music studio and the orphanage, he felt like he had been slacking off and not putting all his effort in. Baekhyun and Jongdae had told him not to worry and focus on his studies but there was disappointment in their eyes every time Kyungsoo waved goodbye. Yesterday he had bumped into the other two, Yixing and Minseok, and they went grocery shopping together, which was greatly invigorating for him. Yixing always trailed off into a dream land and Kyungsoo enjoyed listening as the other’s voice became lined with excitement and raised in pitch. Minseok and Kyungsoo laughed together at their friend’s silliness. Kyungsoo got to know the shorter male a bit better that day, understanding how intelligent and sharp Minseok was. They talked about global issues and how unfair the world was. After having a conversation like that, the medical student felt guilty for leading such a peaceful life. Then he remembered the children and the orphanage and thought about how they had been doing since he last visited two weeks ago. Promising to go again at the beginning of their break, Kyungsoo separated with his two musician friends. Before they went on the bus, Minseok gave him a box of tea bags with a small sticky note on it that read ‘Listen to some soulful jazz when you drink this and come to the studio more often”

“Thank you, this is my favourite flavour actually…forest fruit.”

“I figured.”-Minseok smiled warmly and Lay messed his hair up, giggling.

“Oh, and about the studio, I promise I’ll do my best to come and have fun with you guys more often. I miss everyone too, you know. Feels like my voice is losing its previous power.”

“You always sound perfect, Soo.”-with that they separated and the bus door shut between their faces.

The dorm became surprisingly quiet when the first day of reading week came, and only Kyungsoo’s floor showed some shape of life. His five trustful mates had also staid behind, either spending all their time in bed like Chanyeol and Tao or casually studying. Attempting to scold the ones that were falling behind on their studies due to laziness resulted in amused groans from Chanyeol and Tao even tackled him on the bed and held him in a steel embrace. It was funny how much more lively his life had become. While he was dozing off into thought, Tao reminded him that they were still in a wrestling position on the bed and tickled the older into uncontrollable laughter. They rolled around like that for a while until both were out of breath and needed to stop. Tao was hovering on top of the smaller male, huffing into his neck and relaxing his body against the other. Feeling the touch, Kyungsoo tensed up. Between them there wasn’t much space and even if Kyungsoo was used to the five being all touchy-feely, it was the first time he was so close with Tao alone. Only now he realized how athletic his friend was, broad shoulders and toned body, perhaps due to the past investment into martial arts. Tao had told everyone that when he lived in China he had done a lot of sports and had medals in competitive martial arts. Comparing their physique, Kyungsoo was pretty sure he stood no chance against the other in a fight and now that he was pinned down, it was a bit unsettling. When Tao faced him, the smile drooped off his face and he tilted his head questioningly.

“Hyung, why do you look so nervous?”

“I-well…”-how would he word the sentence and not sound weak-“You are very strong Tao and knowing your troublemaker personality, I’m worried you might overestimate my resilience against your playful offence.”

“That’s an awfully fancy way to say you’re afraid I might squish you.”-the Chinese boy laughed and leaned closer to Kyungsoo’s face; the other seizing his breath-“I would never hurt you, hyung. Of all people in the world you are the most precious and hurting you would be a sin. So in my presence, hyung should only feel safety. I’ll always protect you.”

A confession like this was not something a person would hear from a close friend but Tao’s honesty shaded the strangeness of his words and Kyungsoo took it to heart. Having someone care so deeply about him after such a short time spent together meant a lot to the smaller male and he tugged Tao into a hug, which was accepted with a joyous yelp. By far, Kyungsoo had never had a weirder Monday morning. He left the dorms at eleven to reach the orphanage just in time for lunch. As per usual he was greeted by a storm of cheers and roaring laughter by the stampede of children, which was followed closely by the two tall caretakers. Yifan and Sehun looked great in casual clothes and Kyungsoo knew the two of them had become the preferred choice when the girls had to choose a prince to marry during games. The medical student had fallen into third place, which he found amusing seeing the other two had to run around completing heroic feats for different little princesses. Kyungsoo had missed being around a lot. When he spent time with Kris, Sehun and the kids, it felt like he was with his family again. Nostalgic warmth overcame him and he sniffled, holding back tears. Kris was quick to notice and hurried over to see what was wrong.

“No, it’s nothing really. I just miss my family. I’m really sentimental and weak, sorry. You can laugh at me all you want; even I laugh at myself sometimes.”

“Kyungsoo…”-the towering blonde caressed the other’s cheek comfortably. Seeing that Kris was struggling for words, the shorter male chuckled and shook his head.

“You look sadder than me now, Yifan. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

The tears still fell though and Kris brushed each one of them silently, ignoring the call for lunch. His hands were so big, that one of them could cover half of the medical student’s face and Kyungsoo felt a bit better knowing that he wasn’t getting judged for showing weakness. Yifan understood him.

“Stay behind and have some time alone. I’ll bring you something from the kitchen.”

“I’m fine now, really.”-Kyungsoo smiled and with a sleeve soaked in whatever was left of the moisture around his eyes. Then he ran to grab Sehun by one arm and Kris by the other, ushering them towards the cafeteria. Having a meal with the kids was fun and when the headmistress got to join them and brought home made cookies for everyone, the banter increased by several decibels. After dessert it was time for an afternoon nap for the younger and quiet reading time for the older pupils. Finally the room was empty and strangely silent.

“You must be tired, boys, can I offer you some coffee to pull you through the afternoon?”-Mrs Yoon patted Kyungsoo on the back and they all agreed on a cup of steaming coffee.

“So how have you three been doing? Busy? You all look like you need to catch up on some sleep.”

“That we do.”-Kris laughed and shook Sehun next to him-“This brat here is stuck to him laptop 24/7, no wonder he looks like a zombie. I’ve been making him go to sleep early these days, so it’s paying off. I’ve been studying mostly, not much room for anything else.”

“I have over a thousand followers now, that’s why I’m busy. Also there has been an increase in the editing jobs that I’m doing.”-Sehun took a sip of his coffee-“That’s good, though, means I can afford some luxuries that I couldn’t before.”

Kyungsoo listened as they continued a conversation about the publishing industry in Korea and how people were reading less and felt somewhat comforted that he wasn’t the only one struggling with the work load right now. Kris shimmied closer to him and leaned in to ask something.

“You have been very scarce with your words today, young Mr Do. Are sure you're okay?”

Kyungsoo looked up to see a worried expression on the taller male’s face and smiled reassuringly. During their exchange they both forgot about the drinks before them and the more their whispers heated up, the more the coffee lost it’s warmth, until Sehun cleared his throat to remind them it was time to go back. The two apologized and a new conversation started, this time including Sehun, while they were walking to the common room. From the three of them Sehun was the one that brought tons of books over every week, and had analytical discussions with the children when it was study time. Do taught them biology and Kris-history and languages. It was really fun to watch how the law student explained grammar basics of English or Korean to the little ones, who questioned every part of their exercises. Kyungsoo found out that Yifan spoke four languages and was learning French at the moment as well, which was a feat that Kyungsoo thought he himself could never accomplish. Meanwhile Sehun also surprised him when the younger male asked him to read a draft of a short story compilation he had written.

“It would be impossible to finish all of this now. Do you mind if I take it and read at home. I’m coming again on Thursday, so I can tell you what I think then. Or…”-the medical student took out the phone from his pocket-“You can tell me your phone number. Actually, you and Kris both. How come I don’t have you guys as contacts yet?”

“You never asked.”-Sehun simply answered and whipped out an old Motorola.

The three exchanged numbers and Kris promised to text Kyungsoo everyday, winking and then receiving a small slap on the arm from the shortie.

“It’s almost eight o’clock, so I’ll need to be going; the last bus runs at ten past eight, so if I miss it, I’ll need to be walking back, which won’t be too pleasant. I’ll say goodbye to Mrs Yoon and leave, okay? See you on Thursday.”

Kris and Sehun waved goodbye and watched as Kyungsoo hurried down the corridor to say his farewells and then depart. Unfortunately, outside, a storm was cutting him off from the nearest bus stop. He never even realized it was raining so heavily; even raining at all. Being so lost in good company, the weather outside had become his last worry. And yet he was standing at the door, looking fretfully outside, unsure if it would be better to run or wait till the storm calmed down. Perhaps he would be walking home after all.

“Need an umbrella?”-someone called from behind him, scaring the crap out of Kyungsoo.

“Oh, God, Sehun. Do you always creep up on people like that?”

“Sometimes.”-the boy blankly stared down, swinging a big, black umbrella from left to right-“Well?”

“I…do need an umbrella. But how are you going to walk home without one?”

A small smile appeared on the writer’s face.

“Always thinking about others first, hyung. That's what I like about you. I’ll walk you to the bus stop and then come back. Does that seem fair?”

“I will be forever grateful for this, Sehun-ah.”

They walked side to side, the rain hissing angrily as it hit the umbrella and dropped lazily to the ground. Kyungsoo felt slightly awkward since Sehun wasn’t much of a talker and had a poker face most of the time, which Kyungsoo couldn’t figure out. That is why he kept a small distance from the younger, which resulted in his shoulder getting wet. It seems that Sehun noticed, since he sighed deeply and pulled the shorter male closer, gripping around his waist. The medical student gave out a small yap but didn’t resist the closeness. At least now both of them were safe from the flood.

“Hyung, you shouldn’t be so shy, I am not that bad and in reality have a very sympathetic personality, so from now on if you have any troubles tell me. Oh Sehun is always around to help.”

Kyungsoo nodded vigorously and as they parted, he saw Sehun smile for the first time. That night he thought about that smil; how peaceful the boy looked when he was happy. He sent a message to tell the other to smile more and seconds after got a reply.

“If it’s for hyung, I’ll smile every second of every day.”

 

 

Monday evening was relatively uneventful, including more studying and some movies with Chanyeol, Suho and Luhan. Kyugsoo quickly learned that like him, Joonmyeon had a weakness for horror movies and romantic dramas. Both of them were terrified at one and helplessly crying at the other, to the amusement of the other two. At one point during the horror movie, Kyungsoo even got as far as nuzzling into Chanyeol’s chest and refusing to let his friend go until they reassured him nothing was going to happen. For the rest of the night, Chanyeol had his arm around Kyungsoo, stealing glances. They sat an hour after midnight, sheepishly talking about the two youngest members of their company who had gone out without them. Tao and Jongin had decided to go to a club tonight and Luhan found it extraordinary, joking about how inexperienced and awkward they would be. Soon, the topic got exhausted and the four separated to go sleep. Kyungsoo rolled around in his bed, scooting close to the wall and bundling into the sheets. He was beginning to doze off, when the door creaked open and someone approached the bed. Kyungsoo swallowed dismayed and cursed himself for not locking up. The springs gave in and a body pressed against Kyungsoo’s. Biting on his lip, the medical student went over all the possible scenarios for what would happen next and none of them seemed to end well for him. He trembled and shut his eyes, hoping to wake up from a terrible nightmare. As soon as he heard snoring from the other side though he shifted and recognized the person lying there with him: Kim Jongin. The boy reeked of alcohol and had a blissful expression on his face, which was centimeters away from Kyungsoo’s. In relief, the older male sighed and resisted smacking and waking the other up. Right now, Kai needed rest to sober up so it would be cruel to prod. What Kyungsoo wondered about was why did the younger come to his room and whether Tao had managed to get back to bed safely. Despite the troubling thoughts, Kyungsoo awed at Kai’s beautiful sleeping face and reached out to tuck the other’s bangs behind his ears; falling asleep face to face afterwards. In the morning when he woke up, the shortie found out the bed empty and a huge apology note lying on the pillow. Still, it was early and Kyungsoo had to prepare for his musical lessons so he had no desire to have a serious conversation with the younger yet. When he went to have breakfast in the shared kitchen, Kyungsoo was pleasantly surprised by the smell of fresh pancakes and bacon, prepared by none other than Kim Joonmyeon.

“Sit down; I’ve made enough for an army. I haven’t cooked breakfast in ages so I though ‘why not now’. Tell me what you think.”

“’tis great”-Kyungsoo answered with a mouth full of pancakes. Suho was keeping him company until they were both full and the rest of the boys started coming in but still, there was no Jongin at the table. Kyungsoo hoped the other wasn’t feeling sick.

 

When Kyungsoo left for the studio, the rain from the previous day had left a gleaming mantle over the outdoors. On the street, grey sparrows rolled into the puddles and shook, playing around and then flying away as soon as people approached. For the young doctor-to-be the day after a huge storm was the prefect time to go out for a hike. The air was fresh and chilly and even when he was tired, a short walk had the ability to awake and motivate him. He started thinking about all the things that happened to him since he entered University and a dreamy smile spread on his face. At first he didn’t expect to do much more than study and work, making one or two close friends but now his life had become so eventful. Every time his mother called to check how he was doing he had something new and exhilarating to share. As he was daydreaming, a familiar figure approached him and greeted. Minseok had caught up to him and after snapping out of the daze, Kyungsoo greeted back. Both of them had left really untimely and just now realized they had an hour to spend until the lessons actually started. So Minseok offered they take a walk in the nearby park. Despite it being a week day, there were lots of people having picnics or exercising and Kyungsoo found it relaxing to be surrounded by nature. Sitting on one of the benches near the pond, Kyungsoo and Minseok both arched their necks and looked into the tree crowns above them.

“You know, it’s been a while since I’ve walked around freely like so. I’m glad I left early today.”-Kyungsoo took a deep breath-“I wish we could go out more.”

“We should.”-the older agreed-“Maybe next time we could have a picnic here with Baek, Chen and Yixing. I know they’d be joyous to spend more time with you.”

“I’m really not that interesting…”

“You underestimate yourself, Kyungsoo-yah. Come on. This Friday, after the lessons?”

“Okay, I guess…”-Minseok flailed victoriously-“But heads up, I’ve never been on a picnic before so…”

“Just bring some food; we’ll take care of the rest.”

They got so distracted discussing their plans that in the end, the two ended up being late and scolded by the teacher. Later, they all had a chance to pan it out together, drinking Capri sun outside the building. It was decided that the beginning of the weekend will be marked by a glorious adventure around the neighborhood and a late picnic. Baekhyun and Yixing seemed most excited about it and Kyungsoo could help but anticipate the event just as enthusiastically.

On the free day that Kyungsoo had, he finished reading the chapters compulsory to the curriculum and afterwards lay in bed for the entire afternoon going thought Sehun’s short stories. Sehun definitely had talent, not one the pieces was dull or lacked in any respect. No matter what genre, it seemed like the younger could create intrinsic plots and relatable characters. Kyungsoo was so immersed in them that he read everything in one sitting. The last one even made him tear up and at around midnight he messaged the writer to share the impressions. Opposite to his usual scarce responses, Sehun returned a very long text, in which he asked different questions about Kyungsoo’s opinion. Even if it was just a mobile chat, the medical student could tell that Sehun was very thrilled to talk about his work. Kyungsoo chuckled when he received yet another message filled with emoticons and capitals.

‘You are a lot cuter when you are excited, Sehun-ah. I’m glad I met a fun and talented person like you. When you write more, I’ll be glad to check it out. Also after you become a popular writer don’t forget, hyung, okay?

Your number one fan, Soo’

After that there wasn’t an answer for a while but then the younger shyly replied with a ‘Thank you. I won’t forget you ever. Hyung is the best!’

Kyungsoo fell asleep clutching on his phone and smiling. He was thankful to the Heavens for getting such great friends.

 

The long awaited Friday came to be and Kyungsoo was preparing since yesterday. Plastic boxes of food were stacked up in the fridge and he put all the snacks for the picnic in one bag and his personal belongings in another. He had lunch with his five corridor mates and left at a fast pace to meet up with Minseok once again by chance. They laughed it off, saying it must be fate and Kyungsoo showed the filled to the brim bag of food.

“Just wait and see what the others prepared”-the shorter male laughed and slapped Kyungsoo on the back.

 

 

“Wah, you surely overdid it…”

Kyungsoo was staring in disbelief at the huge sheet of checked cloth that Baekhyun set up on the grass. They had chosen a spot that was empty and further away from the main area of the park. It had gotten quite chilly the past few days and they were wearing thick jackets. To make it more romantic, Jongdae had brought candles and the area was dimply lit up to form a circle around them. Baekhyun was carrying a guitar with him, which turned out to be Minseok’s and Yixing had something to make the night even more special-a telescope. It was quite stunning to see how he tinkered around with it, proudly showing off his skill and knowledge on the subject of astronomy. Kyungsoo knew Yixing had an interest towards sci-fi and the sciences but it delved deeper than he originally thought. In addition to the sandwiches, kimchi and kimbap, the medical student had also brought thermoses with chicken soup and hot chocolate, which were first to be depleted. Despite the chill of the October night, they were all lively and to the tune of Minseok’s guitar sang together. At one point he thought he was being serenaded since Jongdae had set eyes on him with a determination of someone ready to fight for a girl. Their eye contact was broken though when Baekhyun rolled over to Kyungsoo and tackled him onto the ground in a tight hug, trying to tickle through the layers of clothing. For the rest of the night Jongdae had remained quiet just looking at Kyungsoo’s energetic speech and movements, savoring the joy of his presence. Jongdae and Kai were the first two seraphims that noticed Kyungsoo, so he had a special attachment. He most of all knew what the favorite’s life had been like and what was so special about Kyungsoo. When Kyungsoo smiled, Jongdae smiled as well and the whole world would smile if they were there to see. Angels didn’t feel emotions like humans did, they were more passive and only knew that on Earth things like love, hate, loss could be felt. But now having a new form also meant being able to experience these. While spending time with Kyungsoo, Jongdae wondered what human emotions he was going through. It wasn’t a singular influence; the pings at his heart and the way his body felt a bit lighter got mixed with uncertainty and a sort of irritation for everyone else that was close to the boy. Jongdae questioned what that meant.

When the sky became ridden with stars, Kyungsoo dragged Yixing to the telescope and asked for astronomy lessons which he promptly received.

“…now you need to angle it and focus. Do you see anything?”

“I think so…OH WOW! Are those the craters on the moon?”-Kyungsoo gasped in awe and moved the device further up. Looking into space was something he had seen being done in movies but now he understood why it was so meaningful. Seeing an object so far away up close through a manmade device to Kyungsoo was evidence of the heights the human race had reached and as Yixing talked about the Universe and its mysteries, the medical student felt like a child again.

“I can’t focus Orion’s belt for some reason…am I doing something wrong?”

Yixing leaned over Kyungsoo’s shoulder, cheek pressing against the other’s while he looked through the objective. This contact between them was nothing unusual to the angel, as he was used to seeing close friends in Korea rely on skinship a lot as a way for bonding. For the smaller male though, being the introvert he was, the increased amount of near-intimate positions he had been into lately were driving him crazy. Kyungsoo questioned if he was being too conservative and inexperienced with his friendships. At the periphery of his vision Yixing breathed out a cloud of white and chuckled, ruffling his hair.

“All done. Now you’ll be able to see it. The magnification isn’t that good but at least you have something, right?”

Slowly Kyungsoo relaxed in Yixing’s arms, which had wrapped around the medical student after he finished focusing. The hum of a cheery song vibrated against the nape of Kyungsoo neck. With the Chinese hugging him like that, it felt warmer, safer. To a stranger, Kyungsoo imagined it would come across as a scene from a romantic movie. He blushed and shook that thought away. From the side Baekhyun was watching closely, lips thin and a grimace of distaste plastered over his handsome face.

 

Kyungsoo came back to the dorm very late for his standards. If it was a usual school night the area would be much noisier, lit up, and people would be smoking outside. Now the car park was empty and dark but at least no one was eyeing him as he passed the blocks of flats. After the time he spent with the four from the studio he had felt lighter and throughout the entire trip back thought about the stars and Yixing’s fantastical legends about how the different constellations came to be. But now his feet seemed heavier. As soon as he climbed on his floor, Kyungsoo knew he would have to have an awkward conversation with Kai and not because they had slept in the same bed and spooned but because the older intended to give a lecture on drinking limits. Sure, Jongin and Tao had only gone out once but if they weren’t told anything, the next time might result in the same state. When Kyungsoo knocked on Kai’s door he was really nervous, his heart stuck in his throat. There was not answer and the room was empty. Had Jongin went out again? Going to his room this time, Kyungsoo hesitated whether he should call the younger and warn him to be careful. Before hitting the dial button, a voice sounded from the direction of his room.

“Here you were? I saw you coming back and thought you’d be in the kitchen first but I was wrong.”-the younger boy was pacing in front of Kyungsoo’s room-“Hyung can we talk; inside.”

Kyungsoo unlocked and stumbled inside, followed by Jongin. They sat opposite each other; Kyungsoo on the bed and Kai on a chair. Exploring the older boy’s face, Kai attempted to detect any contempt or annoyance but got nothing of the sort. Of course, Kyungsoo couldn’t be mad at him. He wasn’t that type of person. Moreover he looked concerned and when he cleared his throat, the disguised seraph was certain that it wouldn’t be to argue but to show understanding and give advice. And indeed when Kyungsoo spoke, there was no accusation, just genuine support. Jongin stood stunned and gaping. Even though he had known this person’s character for a long time now, being an angel that observed from high above, experiencing it directly was a different matter. His human chest wasn’t big enough to hold in the waterfall of emotions that flooded. The angel choked on a sob and Kyungsoo jumped up to apologize.

“I didn’t mean to upset you! Oh my God, Kai, I’m sorry…”

Tugging the other into an embrace, Jongin shut him up and placed a careful kiss on top of his head in gratitude.

“Thank you for this. I was waiting to hear words like that for a while now. You are the one…”

And with that Kai cupped Kyungsoo’s small face and brought it in for another kiss, this time on the lips; one that Kyungsoo never expected to receive from another man.

Here is the second chapter for you, my subscribers. I don't know what your expectations for this story are but I did say in the beginning it might be dark, so just one more time I am warning that I may go that road. Don't get too attached to certain couples because I cannot promise anything. Anyways, it was a pleasure to write. Thank you for subscribing and commenting and also I am very happy the story has 10 upvotes already, it's terribly exciting for me :D

The extract from the beginning is from a poem called 'The Second Coming' by W.Yeats. In the future I will use that poem (and maybe others as well) because of my deep love for literature. Apologies.