Prolouge

Shattered Heart

Chaerin’s POV

I chewed on my lip, wishing I could play again… watching my friends pass and goal, well it hurt so much, I know I should just move on, but I couldn’t stray away… no matter how much it hurt me; I continued watching, imagining that I’m playing as well.

 Time went by and before I knew; it was five o’clock and practice was already over, I sighed wishing for just a… “Chaerin… why do you keep coming here?  You should be resting, who knows maybe if…”

“Coach Kim, we both know that’s not going to happen,” I grabbed hold of my crutches and lifted myself up.  I turned to get my bag, but Coach Kim sighed and grabbed my book bag for me, so I won’t struggle to get it, “I’ll take you home… and you know you don’t have to call me Coach Kim when no one’s around, arra.”

I rolled my eyes and face him, “Arraseo Uncle Minseok!”  Minseok smiled and threw my bag over his shoulder, and supported me with his free hand, “Why don’t you just get a wheelchair, I think if you do, it’ll heal faster and then you could…”

“I’m fine!” I said quickly not wanting him to say another word about if I heal I could play again, because I can’t, I never can.  My dream has crashed down ever since the doctor told me…

“Ms. Ahn, I’m sorry to say this, but it seems that you have severely injured your right ligament, near the nerve…”

“But I still get to play right… when I get better?” I asked, wondering, hoping that it wasn’t too severe… but unfortunately I was wrong.  “I’m sorry Ms. Ahn, but you cannot play anymore… if you do, you may be paralyzing from the waist down… so I would like you to not participate in any such activities…

Paralyzed… I thought, saying it over and over in my head on our way home.  I needed to talk to someone… not just anyone; I need to talk to Baekhyun, my friend whom I secretly love.  Of course he wouldn’t know, he’s always oblivious to feelings especially mine. 

After a few minutes of the daunting silence; I pulled out my phone and called him, but oddly he didn’t answer.  It’s not that I’m so amazing that he always had to answer, but not once, not even when he was in the shower have he ever missed a phone call.  I chewed my bottom lip, something must have happened, “Can we make a little stop to Baekhyun’s house?”  Minseok furrowed his eyebrows, but nodded and made a sharp U-turn shocking me to the car door… don’t worry I had my seatbelt on, but my leg was aching.

We later arrived and before Minseok made a complete stop I basically hopped out of the car, pressing the button repeatedly until someone answered, “Who is it?”

“It’s me, Ahn Chaerin… I’m here to see Byun Baekhyun,” the lady didn’t answer, but I saw a slight distressed implanted on the lady’s face through the screen, there must be something wrong.  I was about to speak until a lady’s snarky voice cut me off, “I’m sorry Ms. Ahn, but my Baekhyun does not wish to be disturbed for as you should know he’s having his engagement party in a couple of weeks… maybe even sooner.”   I froze in place… letting my heart tumble to the pit of my stomach… I glared at the screen noticing that it was Mrs. Byun, Baekhyun’s mother.

“E-engagement?” I widen my eyes a little, not bothering to blink because I knew if I did, my tears will never stop… I bit my tongue and looked at Mrs. Byun, who was smiling cynically, “Ah, yes he is… I thought you would’ve known, considering your best Friends,” she enunciated ‘friends’ I know what she was doing… she hated me for reasons I don’t even know why.  I mean I know I’m not as rich as them, but I’m not dirt poor either… I came from a good family, “I wonder why he hasn’t told you this, oh well.”

I chewed on my lip and was about to say something else until she cut me off again, “Well, you get going now… don’t want you to stand on your leg for very long… it would be terrible if you couldn’t play soccer aga… oh wait whoops sorry I forgot that you’re not allowed to,” she chuckled a little before she continued, “Now run… I mean hop along dear,” with that the screen turned black.  I bit back my tears; no matter how she hated me, she didn’t have to bring that back up. 

I sighed and slowly went back to the car and buried myself into the seat… Minseok just drove without a word… I appreciated it; he knew me better than anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors POV

Mrs. Byun’s smile turned sober as she blackened the screen and went back over to the coach, collapsing with a big huff.  She scrunched up her face as something vibrated in her purse; she picked it up and laughed as she figured out who was calling, “The nerve of this girl! How dare she call again!” 

“Eomma.”  Mrs. Byun stopped her rambling and turned to see her son descend from the stairs, “Oh my Baekhyun, don’t you look mighty handsome… indeed you took from your father,” Mrs. Byun nodded with approval ignoring her sons detest face.  “Eomma, give my phone.”

“What phone… did you lose your phone? Ah! Why don’t we buy you a new one?!”  Baekhyun looked at his mother unamused, and walked over to his mother, snatching the phone from her grip, “Ani, looks like someone stole it… but I never thought that it’ll be my own mother!”  Baekhyun was walking back up the stairs until Mrs. Byun grabbed his wrist; she sneered her teeth, “You better not be calling that girl again!”

Baekhyun glared at his mother and snapped his wrist back, “She’s my friend!”

“YOU LOVE HER!”  Baekhyun was taking a back by his mother’s sudden rage, “And I will never ever allow you to be with her… she’s just the problem and I will dispose of her if you don’t,” Mrs. Byun sighed and straighten her clothes, “Your father and me already decided who you were going to marry when you were born, and we can’t have that girl ruined it.  I already told her about your engagement…”

“YOU DID WHAT!” Baekhyun snapped, scaring his mother and even himself; he softened his voice, but the sternness in his voice still remained, “I will never marry a person I don’t love.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours Later:

“We have to do something about this!” Mrs. Byun paced around the room as Mr. Byun watched her, “I can’t believe our perfect son fell in love with such a ripple of a girl… she’s not even a lady, and now look his attitude changed because of her.  He yelled at me; she brainwashed him Yeobo!”  Mr. Byun nodded, listening to more of her babbling. 

“Let’s just give him this,” Mr. Byun finally held up a bottle, interrupting his wife’s rambling.  Mrs. Byun looked at the bottle, “Are you sure?”

“Well, it’s now or never.”

 

Baekhyun’s POV

I tried calling Chaerin, but then gave up knowing she’s probably sleeping right now.  I decided to hide my phone, knowing that my mother will probably look for it again and place a password I wouldn’t know.  I went to my closet and knocked on the floor, until the sound was hollow… I smiled and dug my nails under the floorboard and lift the wood up, revealing a hole. 

I smiled remembering how Chaerin found it first and how when we were playing hide and seek, she was hiding in there.  I laughed remembering how frightening it was when I couldn’t find her, and how embarrassed I was when she popped out scaring the pee out of me… *Yes I know embarrassing*.

I took out the box and opened it; it was filled with our pictures notes… just basically everything with just us, of course I never told Chaerin about this box… she’ll probably think I’m crazy.  I sighed, looking at it before I finally turned off my phone and placed it inside.  I covered everything quickly and collapsed on my bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Baekhyunnie!”  My mother knocked on the door gently… I tried to ignore her for her behavior, but she’s still my mother.  I opened the door and she was holding a tray of cookies and milk; I sighed and grabbed the tray from her before hugging her, “Mian Eomma, I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

“Oh it’s ok… I understand… I was being unreasonable,” she pulled away gave a smile before leaving.  I closed the door and started eating the cookies and gulping the milk.  After a while I started to feel light- headed, but I shrugged it off as I grabbed the tray to take it downstairs. 

As I walked my body felt uneasy and my eyes kept blacking out.  I made it to the steps and as I took my first step, I felt my whole body shut down and everything turned black….