One

Work, Play...Bliss

My life so far is similar to a violent storm: pulsing, electrifying and misunderstood until it rumbles, shakes and blows everything apart. 

 
I try to live my life as positively as possible. I guess you could say I have a lucky streak. Add a sharp, but occasionally dirty mind, semi-good looks, and usually happy spirits....you'd have me.  In school, I was popular, but no matter how popular I got, bullying of any sort bothered me.  It still does, I just handle it better now. That may be partially my big brother's influence. Whenever I see it, I always do whatever I can to help stop it. Maybe someday I'll help with a song against it.
 
Ever since I was young,  I wanted to be a singer.  Maybe a bit because my father's wish was to be one, but I love to sing and dance. Those are my skills and passion. Frustration is an opposing force coupled with stress. Working out helps to relieve a lot of both.  This balance adds to my skill set, making me really fly.  
 
As a trainee, I was nervous. So for two years, I worked hard perfecting my body, my voice, and my moves. I wanted this dream to be the reality so badly.  Then, finally, I was picked with four other guys to work as back-up dancers.  The rumor was that if we melded well, we would finally get a shot. When I heard this, I was beyond excited. Strangely, I was confident in my talents and abilities, so I wasn't worried.
 
Balance.
 
A few days later, I was given a text explaining to come in for an early morning meeting the following Monday. Nerves doubled.
 
The night before, I played tiles with my mom. She always has a way of drawing out my fears and doubts, then making a plan with me. Usually, in the form of innocent games, we always play together. By the time I told her goodnight, nerves were gone. Confidence was skyrocketing.
 
The morning of the meeting, I got up early, dressed in my lucky favorite color: black skinny jeans, a black tank top with a mesh long sleeve over the top, and my comfy black combat boots to finish things off. I painted my nails black just for a smidge more luck and styled my brown hair. Taking a last look in the mirror, I sighed, telling the mirror. "It's as good as it gets, love me!" 
 
Mom had a simple breakfast of plain toast and half a glass of orange juice waiting. This started when I got nervous about a presentation, speech or debate that black-spotted the day. We chatted as we do every morning, and by the time I was done... right as rain. I ran upstairs to brush my teeth and make a last minute check. Then I grabbed my black leather jacket and a matching backpack. Speeding back downstairs, I called out to her. " I am leaving! See you when I am finished!"
 
My mom called, "Good Luck!" She was still in the kitchen cleaning up.
 
 
"Thanks!"  I answered back. Opening the door,  lightning flashed, and thunder shook the house. Grabbing an umbrella, I smiled.  Always my personal good sign - storms.  I love to watch them, smell the rain, and the feel of it on my skin. Closing the door, I start walking briskly. 
 
In a little under a half hour, I was at the studio.  Stopping at the front desk, I was told where to go, and to simply wait in conference room 21. Heading that way, I check my phone - ten minutes early.  Just the way I liked it.  This way I could analyze everyone in the room, and any situation that arose. Sitting in the rear of the room with my back to the wall, I watched the rain fall, pondering everything and nothing. 
 
 
Moments later, a tall, dark-haired boy entered timidly.  He nodded hello and sat on the right by the windows.  His dark brown eyes surveying the room.  The opening door announced another arrival. An older boy with nicely cut hair entered. Sitting across from the windows and the other boy, he smiled at me and then the other boy.  He seemed unusually calm. If I were playing cards, I would be cautious of him.
 
After a few minutes, a tall secretary brought in a tray with five mugs of hot spiced tea. Placing them on the table, she smiled a well- practiced smile.  "There's been a slight delay. It shouldn't be more than 20 minutes. I'll be right back with some snacks." She bowed and left. 
 
"Okay..." The older boy retorted as he reached for a mug. The remaining boy and I got up at the same time. We grabbed a mug each, then sat back down. After a bit, the older boy spoke up again. "Hey, I'm Aron. I've seen you both around before, but we've never met."
 
The boy by the windows cleared his throat. " Hello, I'm Hwang Min Hyun. Nice to meet you." They both turned to me. "I'm Choi Min Ki. A pleasure to meet you both." I smiled gamely.
 
Just then the door opened, and the last two boys walked in. Both good looking, and laughing with each other. Too funny!
 
As they sat down, the secretary came back in with a tray of snacks in many varieties. "Again, we are sorry for the delay. It will be a while yet. Please enjoy." She smiled, bowed, and left, silently closing the door behind her.
 
"Hey - I've seen these guys around before, but I don't think we've ever met." The big guy said, snatching a roll, and sitting by Aron. "I am Kang Dong Ho, and I am pleased to meet you all." 
 
The other boy had a smile to light the world. "Hello. I am Kim Jong Hyun. Unfortunately, I am not the Jong Hyun from SHINee, but I am talented. Don't mind us, we were classmates at our old school, and good friends to boot."
 
Aron and Min reintroduced themselves to the newcomers.  "Hi, I am Choi Min Ki. There's spiced tea too, not sure if it's still hot. Pass me something yummy, please?"  I asked. 
Dong Ho met my eyes, he looked a little lost like he'd stumbled over something unexpected. Jong Hyun grabbed a large cookie and kindly brought it to me.
 
 
"Thanks!" I smiled, breaking it in half, and took a big bite out of one.
 
"No problem. Does anyone know exactly why we're here?" Jong Hyun quested, seating himself next to Dong Ho.  
 
Everyone else shrugged.
 
I couldn't help myself, but I was entranced by Dong Ho the more I watched him. He had a cute baby face, but there was definitely a force behind those features. 
 
Shortly afterward, the door opened. A man in a navy blue suit coat and a light blue t-shirt came in. "Sorry for the delay, boys. A meeting ran longer than expected, and couldn't be helped. We are forming another group, and you're it. We want to know how you work together, so you'll be the backup dancers for As Blue's music video, "Wonder Boy". This week, we're going to get started on your stage names and looks. In a week, you'll be moving into a dorm house. We'll give you a week to adjust to each other and the new place, then the hurricane begins. " He gazed around at five dumbfounded faces - mine included- which probably looked similar to deer in headlights. 
 
"Any questions?" He asked.
 
Crickets....
Silence....
Barely breathing.
 
 "I will be your manager. My name and number were sent to your phones because I know you are in shock, and may not remember later.  If you come up with any questions or problems, TEXT me. The practice for the video starts tomorrow at 7 am. Be here! This Building! Tomorrow morning! Finish the rest of the goodies, and I'll be back in a bit." Turning on his heels, he left the room, shutting the door behind him. 
 
A moment later, Dong Ho ran his hands through his hair. "WOW!!" He exclaimed, grinning widely.
 
"I'll second that!" Jong Hyun smiled brightly. 
 
I stood up and moved over to the tray to see what was left. "Min Ki, toss me something, please?" Min Hyun asked. A large chocolate frosted brownie in plastic had his name on it. I tossed it to him, and he nodded thanks.
 
Reaching for a large cinnamon roll in the corner, fingers met mine. "Oh - sorry!" Dong Ho murmured, meeting my eyes.
 
"It's Okay!" I said quietly, slightly smiling. He let me have it, and he picked a large pink sugar cookie instead. 
 
I shook my head as I sat down. "What is wrong with me?" I thought to myself. The roll didn't last long, and I finished my tea. I started checking my nails for something to do. After a few minutes, I gazed out the windows and frowned. The storm was clearing up. That saddened me a bit more than usual.
 
Looking around, I was startled to find Dong Ho staring at me. When our eyes met, he quickly glanced away. 
 
The door opened. Our new manager strolled back into the room. "Sorry about that, boys. We were just confirming a few things." Shuffling through some papers, he grinned.  "Tomorrow, after practice, we'll go house shopping. Again, text me with ANY questions - ANY! See you tomorrow - bright and early- for practice!" He nodded to each of us before briskly leaving.  
 
Interesting!
 
As we all stood to leave, Dong Ho cleared his throat. "Hey, wanna go shoot some pool? We can get to know each other better, and blow off some steam." Dongho offered, glancing at everyone but me. 
 
"Sounds good!" Min Hyun smiled sheepishly.
 
"I'm down with that!" Grinned Jong Hyun while knuckle- bumping Dong Ho.
 
I didn't say anything as I grabbed my jacket, backpack, and umbrella from the table. 
 
"Minki, please join us?" Dong Ho asked quietly. 
 
"It sounds like fun, really, but I need to go home, and tell my mom the news. I know it sounds lame, and I'm not ditching you... It's just..." I trailed off deciding it was not quite worth it. It would not change what they thought of me. Frowning, I walked to the door.
 
Grabbing my sleeve, someone stopped my exit. "Hey, it's cool. Rain check! You can treat us next time. Deal?" Jong Hyun smiled one of those brilliant smiles. Nodding,  I couldn't help smiling back.
 
 
 
 
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A sincere Thank you to each and every one of my subscribers!!!