oo1.

(Don't) Say Yes

  

"Amber, stop being so inappropriate, jeez." Ailee shrieked after Amber sang the first note of the song that, apparently, was made for Ailee. She was blushing crimson and looking around to see if anyone had noticed.

"I'm sorry if it was out of line, Amy. Maybe it would be best if I had gone with the poem?" She mumbled the last part, as if talking to herself. Ailee blushed even more, resisting the urge to smile and berating herself for even having such urges.

“No, no poems. Stop being so sappy, my god.”

“I just wanted to show what I’ve been working on and, maybe, convince you to actually give me a chance.” The last phrase sounded like a question, but Amber had a loving smile and hopeful eyes, and Ailee could have just melted right there. Gosh, what was she doing? “The song is supposed to represent my feelings and stuff.” Amber scratched the back of her head and was looking away shyly. Ailee felt like she was going to die just from repressing the squeals.

“Stop asking me out, Amber.” Ailee clutched her books to her chest and sighed. “Stop courting me and doing things like that, look for someone else. And stop calling me Amy.”

“Ok, maybe next time.” Amber looked disappointed for a second, but perked up a beat later, giving Ailee a confident smile.”I’m sorry, I can’t look for someone else, because I’m not interested in anyone else. But you don’t have to worry, I’m ok with struggling a little to win your heart. It's worth it.” Amber said all of it with gentleness, but also like it wasn’t all that big of a deal, like she just said loaded things like these everyday. Ailee thought exactly the opposite. “I hope you have a good day.” Amber turned around and left. Ailee was so moved with all of it, she almost called out to the girl. Almost.

Ailee turned, walking in the opposite direction, shaking her head and trying to calm her racing heart. A month ago, new student Amber Liu had been transferred to her college, spiking everyone's attention and throwing Ailee's life out of balance. What with being a tomboy (a beautiful one at that, though Ailee relucted in admitting this) with stunning sense of style and, most of all, the owner of a flaming charisma and charm, the girl had conquered many friends and romantic interests all over the school. Hell, even some of the female teachers swooned over her. Yes, Ailee was very aware of just how friendly and charming Amber Liu could be.

It was a Tuesday so, by 9:00 PM, most of the students had retired to their rooms, leaving the hallways and common rooms deserted. Ailee, however, was trying to balance two heavy boxes and a paper bag full of groceries through the school, praying that her room would magically move closer to where she currently was. Her mother, crazy as she was, had sent the boxes full of Ailee's stuff all the way from New Jersey, because she was remodeling the house and wanted to get rid of the things that were only taking up space. Ailee, however, had been surprised (more like ambushed) by one of the school's employees, who had, apparently, received the boxes and was detaining them for her. So he shoved the boxes into her hands and stomped away, mumbling something about 'not being paid enough for this'. The poor girl, who was already carrying groceries from the market a couple blocks away, was left with the heavy luggage and no one to help out, her room still somewhat far away.

The boxes were obstructing her view ahead, but that didn't deter her from walking as fast as she could, relying on the notion that no one would be wandering the halls at such time. Suddenly, a loud crash was heard, for the girl had just bumped into something and was spilling boxes and bags all over the floor. Well, 'something' wasn't the correct term. She had just bumped into someone, and said person was trying to regain their balance when Ailee placed her panicked eyes upon them. She was about to spew apologies when her voice stuck in . The stranger was chuckling softly, rubbing the back of her head in an embarrassed stance. The only thing going through Ailee's mind was that she spend the rest of the year bumping into this girl if only it meant she'd be this freaking adorable every time.

"I'm so sorry! I was distracted, I didn't see you at all 'til, well, the collision." She grinned, eyes sparkling. Gosh, who looks like that on a Tuesday night... Or ever? Ailee tried to recall if she'd seen this androgynous girl before, but was coming out blank. She must be new; an exchange student, perhaps, if the slight accent was anything to go by. "Oh, I'll pick these up, don't worry." The girl started to gather the things, hurried but skilled hands gathering the items quickly. "You seem to have your hands full here. Would like some help?" She looked up at Ailee, who was still staring quite pathetically. That seemed to snap the girl out of her trance.

"It-Its okay, really. My room is just around the corner, hm..." It wasn't. But she had never seen this girl before, didn't know her name "I'm sorry, are you new here?"

"Oh, so to speak. I studied here back in middle school, but had to move before I could even graduate from it. Since my parents moved back, I decided to come back here for senior year." The girl explained, smiling still. Ailee thought she really had to stop, because the smile just got brighter and bighter and was almost blinding at this point. The exchange student offered her hand. "My name is Amber Liu. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Ailee." The hand was warm on Ailee's own, as Amber shook and nodded at the name. The smile got larger, if possible. "Likewise." Ailee permitted a little grin of her own to spread through her lips. The moment it happened, she noticed Amber's cheeks get a shade pinker and her eyes widen slightly. But the reaction was gone as fast as it came, making Ailee wonder if her brain was playing tricks to deceive her.

"So, now that we are acquainted, I'll help you carry this stuff to your room, ok?" She handed the groceries to Ailee and hurled the boxes on her arms. “For the sake of other lost, new students wandering the halls."

Ailee huffed a little at that, but meant no malice, as the banter was only playful. Amber had a sort of wolfish smile on her face, and laughed at the other girl's reaction.

"Ok, fine. I really appreciate it. Follow me." Ailee began walking ahead, after uttering the words shyly (something a bit unusual for her, given her confident personality). Ailee didn't know then, but that was only the beginning of the loop Amber Liu threw her life in.

Ailee opened the door to her room and closed, leaning against the surface with her forehead on it and drawing shaking breaths in. Her body was betraying her mind, but she couldn’t give in. She’d been there before, and she didn’t want to live that again. Not at all.