Cat Balloons and Mice

Doojoon, The Wise

“Yoseob, you left the fridge door open again!”

“Has anyone seen my Pikachu?”

“Dream High was really good!”

“What’s the difference between violet and purple?”

“Haha, someone farted.”

Doojoon sighed. It was one of those days that made him question how Beast became famous. Don’t get him wrong, he loved being in one of Korea’s favorite boy groups – it’s just sometimes he wondered if these people really were how old they claimed they were.

The leader started reaching for the TV remote when all of a sudden, Yoseob crashed onto the empty spot beside him. “Hi hyung!” the younger chimed.

The 24 year old nodded. “Hey.”

“Listen, hyung, I was wondering if maybe we could—“

But before the visual maknae could finish his sentence, the doorbell rang. “Hold that thought,” Doojoon said as he sprung up from his seat. Yoseob just sighed and walked away in defeat.

When Doojoon flung the door open, he was surprised to find the main vocalist of SHINee looking half-dead at his door. “Whoa, what’re you doing here?” the leader of Beast questioned.

“Jee, that’s a nice way to greet a friend,” the singer replied sarcastically. But the fun didn’t last long because in the blink of an eye, Jonghyun went back to looking tired. “Can I come in?”

Doojoon moved out of the way and watched the nation’s dino drag himself to the couch.

“So what happened?” he repeated.

Jonghyun fell onto his side. “Key’s birthday is in two days and I still don’t know what to get him.”

“You’re his boyfriend though. That’s kinda sad.”

“Hyung!”

“Just kidding, just kidding! Don’t worry. Your hyung’s been through this before.”

“Really?”

“No. But fear not you poor little dinosaur! I know someone that has information to everything Key-related!”

“A stalker?”

“No, Dongwoon.”

Jonghyun nodded. That made sense considering Dongwoon and Key were close friends. With that, Doojoon skipped into the kitchen where he found the maknae staring at Mr. Dancing Shoes from afar.

The 24 year old raised an eyebrow.

Was that drool he saw?

But not wanting to waste such a golden opportunity, Doojoon snuck up behind the blond. All it took was a simple ‘boo’ to send the younger man sprawling on the floor.

“Hyung, don’t do that!” Dongwoon exclaimed, receiving a goofy grin from his friend. The poor guy stood up and reddened even more after noticing Kikwang had looked over.

Doojoon knew Jonghyun was waiting in the living room so he decided to get straight to the point: “Hey Woonie, what do you know about Key’s birthday wish list?”

“Key’s birthday wish list? Um... I know he’s really into fashion so buying him a pair of sunglasses would be nice. Hats, couple shirts, and new shoes would be cool too. He really likes eating chocolate cake and buy him lots of balloons because he likes popping them. But one thing I’m sure is never buy him pets with fur like mice or cats.”

Once the maknae was finished, he looked up to find his hyung staring off into space.

“Hyung, were you even listening to me?”

“So if you eat while standing, you get gas?”

“HYUNG!”

Doojoon snapped out of his trance. “Huh? What?”

Dongwoon sighed. “Were you even listening to—“

“Of course I was!”

“Then what did I say?”

“Something about cat balloons.”

“No, hyung—“

“Okay, thanks for the help!” the older man grinned before slapping the younger man on the back and running out of the kitchen.

Jonghyun was sleeping when the 24 year old returned. “Yah, Jjong, wake up!” he said as he shook the nation’s dinosaur awake.

The younger man groaned but slowly opened his eyes and sat up. “Yeah?”

Doojoon clapped his hands together. “Guess what your totally awesome friend just found out!”

“What?”

“Your little boyfriend likes chocolate cake, cat balloons, and mice!”

“Cat balloons and mice?”

“That’s what Dongwoon said!”

“Um… okay. If that’s what the maknae says. Thanks for the help hyung. I owe you one!”

The two idols did their bro-hug and when Jonghyun left, Doojoon crashed onto the sofa. A nagging feeling then struck him. “Why do I have a feeling I’m forgetting something?” he asked but then shrugged it off. “Nah, probably just my imagination.”

2 days passed by fast and the next thing Jonghyun knew, it was the afternoon of his boyfriend’s birthday. He had sent Key on a shopping spree with Kevin from U-Kiss and G-Dragon from Big Bang while he and the others were setting up a surprise party back at the SHINee dorm.

“Hyung, why’d you buy cat balloons?” Taemin asked.

Jonghyun shrugged. “Dongwoon said that’s what Key liked.”

All of a sudden, they heard the front door open. “I’m home you ungrateful little idiots!” a familiar voice echoed throughout the dorm. The four idols quickly turned off the lights before hiding and when Key the lights after entering the room, everyone sprang out from their spot.

“Surprise!” they all shouted.

Key dropped all the bags he was holding and covered his mouth with his hands. “Omo, you guys planned a surprise party for me?”

Jonghyun ran up to hug his boyfriend. “Yep! Happy birthday yeobo!” he chimed before pecking the younger man on the lips.

Key looked like he was about to explode from happiness. “You guys are so sweet! But what’s up with the cat balloons?”

Jonghyun and the others exchanged glances.

“Um… no reason.” Jonghyun grinned.

The party lasted for four hours and before they knew it, it was already midnight. “Time to open the presents!” Onew declared and they all gathered in a circle. Taemin had gotten his Umma a jacket for the upcoming Winter, Minho bought a pair of new sunglasses, and Onew gave a shampoo-conditioner pack.

All that’s left was Jonghyun’s present.

“Yeobo, why don’t you go wait in your room?” Jonghyun suggested. “I’ll bring up your present soon.”

Key obeyed and ran upstairs excitedly. Once he was out of sight, the main vocalist grinned and went over to the closet.

“Are you really giving him that mouse?” Minho asked as his friend went to retrieve the cage. “I mean, I don’t—“

“OHMYGOODNESSIT’SGONE!”

The other members immediately sprung up from their seats and ran over to find Jonghyun holding an mouse empty cage. “What? What do you mean it’s gone?” Onew panicked.

“I mean it’s gone! The door’s open!”

“You mean there’s a mouse somewhere in the dorm?” Minho half-hissed. “Where is it then?”

A scream suddenly erupted from upstairs. “I think I have a pretty good idea,” Jonghyun said. They all raced upstairs and the second they arrived up, the rapper/singer flung open his door and ran into Jonghyun’s arms.

“THERE’S A MONSTER IN THERE!” he hollered.

So I guess he doesn’t like mice after all, Jonghyun thought. But he went along with the act. “Well your knight-in-shining-armor is here, so he’ll get rid of the monster!” he exclaimed.

Onew grinned. “I see what you did there!”

Everyone looked at him weirdly until Jonghyun ran into the room. Three minutes later, he reappeared holding the mouse in his hand. “Got it!” he chimed. They then went downstairs where Jonghyun secretly locked the animal back in its cage.

“I wonder how the mouse got inside anyway,” Key said aloud.

Everyone stiffened.

“Jee, I have no idea.”

“Don’t ask me.”

“Me neither.”

“Not a clue!”

“Nope!”

Thankfully, the birthday guy didn’t notice his friends’ strange behavior. Instead, he went over and hugged his boyfriend. “So where’s the birthday present you promised me?” he then asked.

Jonghyun grinned. “You’ll see. But for now, let’s get upstairs.” The nation’s dinosaur led Key upstairs but just before he disappeared up the steps, he turned back and winked at his friends. “Guys,” he spoke. “Make sure you’re wearing earplugs tonight, because you’re gonna be hearing noises all night long.”

The guys reddened.

“Hyung, does that mean—“

“Yes, Taemin, that’s exactly what he means.”

[ The Next Morning ]

Junhyung entered the kitchen to see the maknae staring at Kikwang from afar as usual. “Dude,” he snorted,” get a life.”

Dongwoon opened his mouth to comment but stopped midway when the doorbell rang.

“Go get it maknae,” the rapper commanded.

The younger male groaned but reluctantly went to answer the door. He was shocked to find Jonghyun holding a mouse cage. “Hey hyung,” he greeted. “What’s with the mouse?”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t you tell Doojoon that Key wanted a mouse?”

“No, why would I do that? Hyung was blanking out when I was telling him about Key’s birthday wish list three days ago.”

He caught the sudden mischievous glint that shown in Jonghyun’s eyes.

“In that case,” the singer smirked,” mind letting me go see Doojoon for a bit?”

Dongwoon moved aside. “Go right ahead.”

He watched as Jonghyun disappeared down up the stairs and returned a minute later.

“What did you do hyung?” the maknae inquired. He received a wink.

“You’ll find out sooner or later. But for now, my work is done.” And with that, the nation’s dinosaur left the Beast dorm. All of a sudden, a girly shriek echoed throughout the whole building. Barely ten seconds later, Doojoon sped down the steps.

“THERE’S A MOUSE IN MY ROOM!” he hollered.

Dongwoon raised an eyebrow. “Wow hyung. That was such a manly scream.”

“GAH!"