Battle Scars

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye walked as fast as she could to the elevator, wiping her wet cheeks. It was no use because the tears wouldn’t stop streaming. The sobbing choked her up, making it harder for her to breathe steadily. She was a mess and she couldn’t bear to go back into the boardroom even if her things were left inside with her manager. No wallet, no cell phone, but she didn’t care. All she knew was she wanted to get out of there.

She impatiently pressed the silver button several times, feeling more frustrated by the second. This only made her wail louder, so she instinctively covered with her hand. As soon as the elevator doors opened, she stepped inside. Luckily, it was empty – but she raised her scarf to cover her face anyway. As the doors were closing, she caught a glimpse of Min Ho sprinting toward the elevator. Every bit of her wanted to push the open button so he could stop her from leaving. Maybe he changed his mind. Maybe he still wants me. But Min Ho’s last words continued to ring in her ears. ‘I’m sorry.’ She could never forget the look on his face – that look that made her realize he had made up his mind and it was over. She bit her lip and looked away, hoping that he wouldn’t arrive in time.

He didn’t.

After the doors closed, she had an overwhelming feeling that it would be the last time she’ll see him. She felt a stabbing ache that made her knees buckle. She wound up squatting on the corner, her hands covering her eyes. She told herself to pull it together, but her body wouldn’t let her. When she reached the first floor, there were several people waiting for the lift. Her hands continued to cover her face, but she was able to see their legs. Hearing murmurs wondering who she was and why she was on the ground, she stood up and quickly stepped out, pushing some people out of the way. She spotted their company’s black van as soon as she exited the building and made a dash for it.

‘Noona?’ Jae Won, their agency’s intern, looked surprised when she opened the car door and went inside. ‘What happened? Where are President Kim and Joon hyung?’

‘They’re not coming,’ she managed to say, her voice still trembling. Jae Won looked alarmed upon seeing Shin Hye’s state and was about to reply when she spoke again. ‘Drive. Anywhere. Just drive.’

The young man hesitated, but turned around anyway and started the car.

A few minutes into the drive, Shin Hye took off her scarf. ‘Jae Won, mianhae. Don’t mind me, okay?’

Before he could respond, Shin Hye broke down in tears.

 

Min Ho stood there feeling like he had just been er punched in the stomach. He had a good look at Shin Hye before the elevator closed and her eyes pierced through him. She looked like she was in so much pain. And I caused it. Min Ho buried his face in his hands and let out a muffled scream. He pushed the elevator button forcefully over and over. ‘Open, dammit!’

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around to see the men who were inside the board room look at him curiously. They must have heard the fuss he was making.

His manager frowned upon seeing Min Ho’s perturbed expression. ‘What’s going on?’

Min Ho ran a hand through his hair and looked at Shin Hye’s manager apologetically. ‘I’m so sorry, hyung. Shin Hye. She just left.’

‘Meo?’ Joon and President Kim chorused, looking puzzled.

‘What do you mean she left?’ President Jang asked.

‘She just took the elevator down. She’s probably heading to your car outside. We…’ he paused, looking guilty. ‘We had a fight. I’m so sorry.’

Just in the nick of time, the elevator doors opened. Shin Hye’s manager didn’t wait another second and left without saying another word to anyone. President Kim bowed to President Jang before following Joon inside the elevator. Min Ho made a move to follow them but his manager pulled him back. ‘Ya, are you crazy? You’re staying here.’

‘Hyung, chaebal,’ Min Ho mouthed desperately. I need to see if she’s okay.

When the doors closed, President Jang cleared his throat. ‘Don’t make things complicated, Min Ho-yah. You can chase her someplace else where there are no eyes watching. I warned you already,’ he told him calmly before going back into the boardroom.

As soon as he was gone, Min Ho hit the wall with his fist. He felt suffocated and aggravated at the same time. He didn’t know who he was more furious at – himself or everyone else that pushed him and Shin Hye in this position.

‘YA! What the hell are you doing?! You’re going to injure yourself!’ His manager’s frantic voice filled the hallway as he reached for Min Ho’s hand to examine it.

‘Hyung,’ Min Ho leaned his forehead on the wall, his body limp and weak. ‘It’s always going to be like this, isn’t it?’

His manager gave his hand a fatherly squeeze. ‘Believe me, I wish that wasn’t the case. But that’s not how this works, Min Ho-yah. The truth is… there are things you need to give up in order to be you.’

 

Jae Won looked at the building and frowned before turning to Shin Hye. ‘Noona, I don’t think this is such a good…’

‘Jae Won-ah,’ Shin Hye cut him short. ‘Lend me 50,000 won. I’ll pay you back.’

‘Eo?’ the young guy had a bewildered look on his face but reached for his wallet anyway. His forehead creased again as soon as his phone started ringing. ‘Noona, I can’t keep ignoring their calls. I don’t want to get fired.’

‘You won’t, I promise,’ Shin Hye took the bill that Jae Won gave her. ‘Go back to Starhaus and fetch them. Tell them I’m okay and not to come looking for me. Arasso?’ She gave the kid an affectionate smile. ‘I’m sorry. And thank you. I owe you a lot,’ she hurriedly put on the hoodie she kept inside the van.

‘Keunde…’

‘Leave now or I’ll fire you myself,’ she said before wearing her sunglasses and climbing out.

She made her way inside the building and approached the man in the stall. Thankfully, he didn’t seem to recognize her. They finished their transaction and Shin Hye was led to a room at the end of the hallway. She went inside and grabbed the remote control. After pressing random numbers and cranking up the volume, she sat on the corner and threw her head back. Closing her eyes, she allowed the noise to fill her ears and her mind. She had always found music effective in blocking unwanted thoughts.

She was okay for a while but soon, her tears began to fall again. She scowled in frustration. Her mind may be preoccupied but her heart was still feeling the pain. She muttered curses before screaming out loud, her voice drowned by the trot song blazing from the sound system. She stood up to grab the microphone from the table and started shouting the lyrics of the unknown song on the screen. Occasionally, she would stop and wipe the tears from her face.

Not too long after, she was crouched on the floor, sobbing hysterically. She buried her face in her hands. How can he do this to me? What did I do wrong? Does he not love me anymore?

She felt someone grab her shoulders. She was too startled to scream but she automatically jerked the hands away. When she looked up, she saw Geun Suk staring down at her. Her eyes widened as she watched him grab the remote control and turn the music off. The noisy room suddenly fell silent as they held each other’s gaze.

‘What are you doing here?’ Shin Hye asked. ‘How did you know I was here?’

Geun Suk folded his arms. ‘Joon hyung called me and told me Jae Won dropped you off here. You know my studio is just two blocks away, right? I figured you wanted me to come and get you.’

Shin Hye bit her lip, the tears still falling. She turned away to hide her face from him. ‘Oppa. I want to be alone so please leave.’

Geun Suk observed her and sighed. ‘I promise I’ll leave you alone. But can I please leave you alone at my place instead? Not here,’ he gave the room a once over. ‘It’s not safe. And besides, people might peek inside and think you’re some crazy ahjumma.’

He was clearly trying to make her laugh, but she was in no laughing mood. When Shin Hye didn’t budge, Geun Suk sat down and crossed his legs. ‘If you think I’m going to leave you here then you’ve really probably gone crazy. Fine. You want a crazy singing partner, I’m all for it,’ he picked up the remote and turned the music on again.

Knowing that Geun Suk wasn’t kidding, Shin Hye stood up hesitantly and went straight through the door. Geun Suk followed her closely behind. When they got to his studio, Shin Hye made a beeline for the comfort room without uttering a word to him. She was familiar with the place since she hung out with the boys there a few times. She winced when she saw her puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks in the mirror. Turning the faucet on, she splashed her face with water, not minding that it was almost as cold as ice. She couldn’t feel anything anyway; it was as if her whole body was numb.

When she stepped out of the room, she noticed Geun Suk place a cup on the table. As soon as he saw her, he smiled. ‘Drink some tea. It will calm you down. It’s chamomile with honey, your favorite.’ He walked to Shin Hye and put his hands on her shoulders. He gently led her to the couch, as if she was unable to walk there by herself. He propped her down and gave a light tap on her head. ‘I’ll be in my room. Take all the time you need. I’ve got no schedule today.’

Shin Hye watched him make his way to the spiral staircase that led to the second floor where his room was. Before he could reach the top, Shin Hye spoke. ‘Aren’t you going to ask?’

Geun Suk stopped going up and instead, went back down again. He sat on the chair in front of her and observed her quietly. Shin Hye avoided his eyes.

‘If I ask, are you going to tell me?’

‘Probably not,’ she answered weakly. She didn’t know if she could talk about it yet. Her heart still hurt. She could barely think back to what happened without breaking down, how much more if she had to say the words out loud. She didn’t want to admit it, but having Geun Suk there made her feel slightly better. If there was anyone who could understand her, it would be him. He never forced her to tell him anything; he always waited until she was ready to talk.

Geun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter