Something Flutters

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello everyone! The title of the chapter is in reference to Ra.D's song, 'Something Flutters.' Check it out because it's beautiful. Happy reading!

----------------------------------------

 

When Min Ho woke up, he was lying on the couch with a blanket over him. Sunlight was strongly seeping from the windows that he had to cover his eyes. He knew he wasn’t home, and for a moment, he wondered where he was. He turned to his side and saw the coffee table – a reminder of what had happened last night. When it hit him, he smiled and curled up. The smell of eggs and coffee wafted through the room, and he knew that Shin Hye was cooking breakfast for him.

Best. Morning. Ever.

He sat up and stretched. He didn’t even bother looking at the time, he knew he didn’t want to go just yet. He walked over to the kitchen where it looked like Shin Hye was busy cutting some fruit. She was dressed in just a shirt, shorts, and an apron. Since she had her back to him, she didn’t notice him at all. Min Ho walked up to her quietly and put his arms around her waist.

‘Omo, kamchagiya!’ Shin Hye jumped in surprise. When she looked to her side, Min Ho gave her a kiss on the cheek.

‘Good morning,’ he whispered, unable to let go.

Shin Hye laughed. ‘Oppa, I have a knife in my hand. I could have cut you,’ she said.

‘Then you’d have to take responsibility for me,’ he replied.

Shin Hye turned around and was now facing him. ‘Oppa, I have to finish cutting. And I can’t do that if you keep doing this,’ she pointed to his arms that still were tightly secured around her. ‘Sit down for a while, okay?’

Min Ho pouted and let go. Before he could turn around, Shin Hye tip-toed and gave him a light peck on the lips. ‘Oh, good morning!’

He smiled and made his way to the table, noticing that there were plenty of food ready.

‘Wow,’ he started to say. ‘So this is how it feels to have a wife,’ he picked up his chopsticks and ate a sausage. ‘No wonder men get married.’

Shin Hye turned around and glared at him, ‘Men don’t just get married to get free breakfast.’

Min Ho’s eyes sparkled with mischief, ‘I know. There are other perks, too.’

She rolled her eyes. ‘This coming from a man who actually slept when I told him to sleep.’

‘Ya, I told you I was tired! This is Jung Il Woo’s fault for waking me up yesterday,’ Min Ho replied defensively. Then he narrowed his eyes, ‘Why? Did you want to do something else last night? We can still do it now if you want.’

Shin Hye was quiet for a few seconds, as if trying to think about it. ‘Okay, let’s do it,’ Shin Hye said eagerly, removing her apron.

Min Ho looked up at her as he tried to process the situation. He tried to speak but no sound came out.

‘Let’s watch another movie,’ Shin Hye continued. ‘I really wanted to watch Miracle in Cell No. 7 with you last night. To see if you’re a crier.’

Min Ho exhaled and chuckled awkwardly. ‘You’re funny.’

‘Why? Did you want to do something else?’ She tilted her head and grinned.

‘Just sit down and eat,’ he replied, sulking. She’s good at this.

Shin Hye grabbed the plate of fruits and put it on the table. ‘Sorry this was all I could prepare. I didn’t really buy a lot of things at the supermarket yesterday.’

Min Ho smiled. ‘Are you kidding, this is more than enough. Thank you,’ he said warmly as he took another bite.

Shin Hye was already eating when her phone rang. She checked the screen and pursed her lips before stealing a glance at Min Ho. He caught her and squinted his eyes. She smiled and continued eating.

‘You have a call, you should probably answer it,’ Min Ho innocently pointed at her phone.

‘Eh? Ah, yeah.’ She cleared before answering. ‘Yobuseyo?’ She stole a glance at Min Ho again.

Min Ho knew something was up and watched her carefully, his chin leaning on his hand.

‘Oh, Merry Christmas.’ ‘Omma? She went on a trip with Appa. I’ll tell her you called.’ ‘Ah, really? Tell her Merry Christmas from me.’ ‘Just at home.’ The caller must have suggested something crazy because she suddenly looked alarmed. ‘Anya, anya! You don’t have to! I swear.’ –laughed awkwardly and stole another glance-- ‘Yeah, I’ve been really busy but I saw a re-run yesterday. I’ll check it out when I’m free.’ She turned to the side slightly and lowered her voice. ‘Yeah, you looked good, oppa. Bye,’ she quickly hung up and casually placed her phone on the table. She started eating again.

When she looked at Min Ho, he was staring at her, smiling ominously.

‘Who was that?’

‘Hmm. A friend,’ she replied nonchalantly.

His smile faded. ‘A friend with a show.’

She nodded.

‘Is he famous?’

Shin Hye stopped herself from laughing. ‘Uhh. You could say that.’

‘Is he good looking?’

She smiled at him sweetly. ‘Not as good looking as you.’

‘Why did he call you so early in the morning?’

Shin Hye looked at the wall clock. ‘It’s already 9:30 A.M. oppa, it’s not really that early anymore.’

Min Ho closed his eyes and sighed. ‘He knows your Mom, and you know his?’

‘Are we playing a game?’

‘It’s Jang Geun Suk, isn’t it?’ Min Ho pointed at her with his chopsticks.

Shin Hye shifted in her seat uneasily. ‘He just called to say Merry Christmas.’

‘YA! Why did you answer it?’

‘You told me to!’

‘AISH,’ Min Ho pierced a sausage with a chopstick before putting it in his mouth and chewing forcefully. Shin Hye looked amused as she tried to brush it off by continuing to eat.

After a few seconds of silence, Min Ho spoke. ‘This won’t do. You have too many guy friends.’

Shin Hye frowned. ‘They’re just friends. Heokshi, you’re not going to ask me not to be friends with them anymore, are you?’

Min Ho stood up and grabbed one of the scripts lying around. He went back to the table and handed it to Shin Hye. ‘I’m not going to do that because I’m not that petty…’ he told her. ‘…but I need to know every single one of them so write them down.’

‘What?’

‘Write down all their names. Over here. Palli, palli.’ Min Ho tapped his fingers at the back of the script.

Shin Hye stared at him dubiously before snatching the script. She stood up to find a pen and sat back down. Min Ho waited with his arms crossed.

Before she started writing, she turned to him. ‘Are you sure you can handle this?’

‘Don’t you dare skip anyone,’ he replied.

‘Do I just write the people close to me or all the guys I consider as friends?’

Min Ho’s expression darkened. ‘Write down the ones who can call you casually and ask about your Mother.’

Shin Hye giggled. ‘Arasso.’

Min Ho continued eating as Shin Hye made the list. He wasn’t usually childish, but something about her made him feel giddy and young. He was just playing but it actually bothered him that she took so long. After a few minutes, she handed him the paper, her expression akin to a student handing the teacher her final exam.

One look at the list and Min Ho’s eyes widened. ‘Ya, this is much worse than I thought! How many friends do you need? Haven’t you heard of the saying that you only need one friend to last you a lifetime?’

‘Friendliness is one of my best traits,’ she replied nonchalantly.

Min Ho scowled at her and started reading the list. ‘There are entire bands here. Are you friends with all the members?’

‘More or less.’

‘FT Island. CNBlue. How many Super Junior members are these?’ He counted and glared at her. She shrugged.

‘Lee Seung Gi. Lee Jong Suk. Song Joong Ki. Kim Ji Hoon. Yoon Si Yoon. Jang Geun Suk,’ he scoffed and gave her a sideways glance. ‘Yoo Seung Ho, Kang Ha Neul, Kim Woo Bin, Jung Il Woo, Kim Bum—okay, we can scratch out Woo Bin, Il Woo and Bummie from this list.’ He grabbed the pen and erased the three names.

‘Wae?’ Shin Hye protested.

‘Because this is my blacklist. I can’t have my friends on this list,’ he shook his head.

‘What about Ha Neul?’

‘He’s still on probation.’

‘But you were also mad about Woo Bin being touchy-feely last night.’

‘That’s okay, he has a girlfriend.’

‘If that’s the case, then you can scratch out Seung Gi oppa from the list.’

Min Ho turned to her curiously. ‘He has a girlfriend? Who?’

She laughed. ‘I can’t tell you. But you definitely know who she is.’

‘Okay, we can scratch him out. I always liked him.’

Just then, Shin Hye’s doorbell rang. They looked at each other and panicked. They sat there, unaware of what to do. Min Ho stood up and looked around the house.

‘Oppa, ottoke?’ Shin Hye’s eyes were full of distress.

‘Shouldn’t you go and check who it is first?’ Min Ho told her, trying hard not to freak out.

‘Ah, right.’ She carefully went to the door and peeped. She gasped and turned around.

‘Oppa!’ She mouthed to him.

‘Who is it?’

‘It’s my manager.’

Min Ho’s jaw dropped and waved his hands vigorously. ‘Don’t open it!’

‘If I don’t open it, he’ll just come in. He knows my pass code.’

Shin Hye’s manager rang the doorbell again. Min Ho hurriedly grabbed his rice bowl, his coat and scarf.

‘Oppa, go to my bedroom!’ She whispered. ‘And don’t forget your shoes!’

Min Ho nodded, grabbed them by the entrance, and hid inside Shin Hye’s room. He stayed by the door to listen to the conversation. He heard Shin Hye open the door.

‘Oppa! Miane I took so long. I was eating. Why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be with your family? I don’t have a schedule today, right? Oh, yeah. Merry Christmas!’

Aigoo, she’s an actress Why is she being so obvious? Min Ho thought.

‘I wanted to check on you. I felt bad that you were all alone.’

‘Ahh. Everything’s fine. I’m okay, really.’

‘Why did you cook so much food?’

‘Huh? Ah, I woke up really hungry. Do you want to eat?’

Ya, why are you asking him to eat?

‘I already ate. Thanks anyway.’

Min Ho let out a sigh of relief. They were quiet for a moment and he wondered what was going on.

‘Oppa, I feel like just hanging out alone so you can go back to your family now. I’m sorry I worried you. I’m really, really okay.’

‘You’re not depressed again, are you?’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter