Chapter 1 _Updated

Love According to Law. (Dumber smiles and the smarter cries)

There are bushes and flowers and the side walk and the lamp post if you look outside of the window.  Stars smiling around, along with the soft breeze of wind dancing and chasing one another on this cold autumn night in the middle of November. The black car outside not moving, the old man with a cup of coffee in his hand starts smiling and a bunch of kids shouting and screaming before running back and forth playing “Swing the statute” game together. Strolling alone at night sometimes could make one become more energetic, enjoying the beautiful scenery of nature while sips some hot chocolate down onto the Mister –always- thirst –throat.  A couple on the farthest bench whisper to one another and giggling for a while before lips connecting like a full bar of Wi-Fi before disappeared along with the laughter and happiness.

But I am still alone. I am standing like the Statute of Liberty holding a bag plastic full with cans of soda waiting for my date to come and fill the loneliness of mine. Guess it supposed to be an enjoyable date, with leaves and flowers fell on top of our head and ended with a soft kisses to milady. But reality is always harsh, it’s been 3 hours to be exact, I am waiting for a girl who supposed-to-be-my-so-called-date-partner to come. This is why I hate girl. Correct me if I am wrong, but for sure, this is all true facts about girl who like to play with others feeling. First, I know that I am handsome, indeed, with this tall figure of mine, tanned skin of iness, killer shot of eyes and as hot as Orlando Bloom smile, girls sure running and chasing around to date with a perfect guy like me. Because what, girls do judge appearance first before knowing the wild behavior of the supposed-to-be-perfect-guy-for her and yes, dump the guy alone in the middle of park saying, “Can you wait like 15 minutes because I need to go to the Ladies?”

.

God bless.

I am not a weird person here, but who can blame me if I like to talk about some random people on how they drink their coffee, babbling about the weather, complaining about each and every delicacies on the menu at the Chinese Restaurant before, dancing when I feel like to do one, and make her pay all the things that I want. Hey! Come on people, we’re now living in this hectic 21st century world, where there’s equality between man and women. I am no man of word and acting like a gentleman just to give a better first impression to the one whom I met. It is unfair if men pay all the things and the women just sits there, acting like a queen bee, asking for this and that, wanting the best of the best while us, the Adam’s descendant just following like a bunch of idiot?

Hell no.

But, one thing for sure, even though I know, that she will leave me alone after the worst-date-ever happen-in-my-life, still, I am waiting for her while eating a cup of corn( butter flavor) holding the same bouquet of white roses, eyeing around to catch a glimpse of hope and wishes, to find the true love of my life.

Ring…Ring…

I pull out the phone which stuck inside of my pocket for hours long, slides the call image and answer it.

Where are you? Remember, hostel got curfew to follow DumbIn.” This person is the worst friend ever; at least he should comfort me by saying all good word and support this not-so-lucky life of mine.

Yah! Kim Jongin! Don’t tell me you are failing again on your date before. I knew it, things never turn out well for you dude!” Yes, things never went well for me Mr. Genius.

Just come back home now, I will welcome you with open arms and sure, my shoulder is al free for you tonight to cry on.”

 God bless you Do Kyungsoo.

--

The death penalty is always a matter of controversy, especially if it is mandatory. As a law student, one thing that you need to know, these controversies happen around are outside of the scope of our learning. It is not because we are not the one who will make the decision of it; it just, you need to critically think, why, these issues can lead to such a blow of controversy among the entire nation nowadays. As a critical thinker, it is important to consider questioning the relation between all the things that happen. Whether involving in murder or culpable homicide, and what’s the uses or functions of Actus non facit reum,nisi mens sits rea. It is indeed your job, to present all questions in the next tutorial with me. Class may dismiss now.”

                Walking down the streets of the Law faculty department, it sure worth nothing. Classes from 8 to 5 and 7 to 10, already all my energy left inside this tiny bones of mine. Maybe I should listen to Kris advice and take some supplement to boost my inner level to be more active. Eyes looking around, it is the busiest moment of the day, where people sweat their blood down to prepare for a war of lunch. I sit on the nearest bench and look around to see millions of movement and variety of personalities make their way to the café. A puffy-hair woman, hold out her hand and buy a large bottle of plain water, and she takes a sip of it. The other  woman, with her another  wide smiles that’s fake like a robot acting like a diva and not following the rules of, “Do you know how to stay on your line ?” laughing around with her colleagues before bumping and shot a not-so-killer gaze at the other petit bourgeoisie on the line. Taking out a carton of milk inside of my bag, making a hole on it to place a straw inside and drink it slowly. Cold pair of hand suddenly touches the tips of my ear as I shiver a bit before turning around just to see a tall slim figured with his always boring and annoying expression of face standing behind with two packs of sandwiches and sets of hamburger, flashing his white teeth and raises his eyebrows.

“Let’s eat some now, you walking encyclopedia of law. I didn’t want to send you to the infirmary for the third times of this month.” And we just sit on the bench, eating while talk a bit of daily schedule and stuff that not-so-funny to others but to us, it is.

“How’s your day today DumbIn?” Rips the edge of the pack and takes out the sandwiches, shove it to my mouth slowly while eyes fix to look at the lakes nearby.

“Not that good, but never too bad.” He nods, as he sips the banana milk of mine and continues eating his double cheese hamburger. “How about you? I think your day must be fine and enjoyable to learn about those things that I hate the most huh?” He lets out a small chuckle, forming reddish blushes (which hard to be seen clearly on his tan skin) on his cheek and turn to look at me.

“Mine just okay. Professor Kim did talk about the death penalty again, and gives out some tutorial question that will make me again, cramming all day long inside the library to find the accurate answer for his question.” Another bites of sandwiches and nod head along with the rhythm of my breathe. He smiles and pulls something out from his bag.

“Oh, Jumyeon ask me to give something to you.” As he passing the note to me, his eyes keep on looking at the small purple note folded nicely as I take it and open it slowly.

Do Kyungsoo,

You are convicted under the charge of damaging my heart with the cuteness of yours. By the power of court, I command you, according to Section 302 of Penal Code; whoever commits murder shall be sentenced to death and go straight to my heart.”

Heck.

It is not cheesy at all.

“What the hell is this though?” He shakes his head and takes a look at the note.

“Seems now like you have one little secret admire encyclopedia. I’m sure he’s such a weirdo like you.”

At the end, the dictionary of law landed gracefully on top of Jongin head before him shouting asking for an explanation of sudden hitting from me.

--

“Jongin, if we are about to talk about those chemically constructing, I don’t think this is the best time to do so.”  Luhan looks at me while giving a sign of “You idiot, why do we need to mingle around with Law student?” I just smile and place finger on my lips to ask him to shut his mouth off. As I come a bit late, both Luhan and I only manage to sits at the farthest row from stage and sphere heads can be seen from above. Some wear cap, while the ladies with kind of too-much-off hairstyle around, certain were looking down, scrolling their gadget and only a few give full attention to the speaker on stage. The topic is about the “Global issues: On the matter of sovereignty and the concept of Montevideo Convention.”

“First and foremost, for us, to discuss in this matter of sovereignty, it will took us not only a day of discussion, but a year of experimenting and doing sort of researches. Let us see, based on the Montevideo Convention on the Rights and Duties in 1933, it is clearly stated, for a country to be recognized as state should following all the qualifications mention which is; A permanent population, A defined territory, Government and the capacity to enter into relations with other states. Well defined in the Article 1 of the declaration, it stated all the major criteria for statehood that have sometimes been recognized as an accurate statement of customary international law.”

“But sir, why did some of the countries, which have a permanent population, I mean, it perfectly fill the qualifications to become a state didn’t been recognized by the United Nation?” All eyes focusing at the short boy, who sits on the front row, wearing a simple grey sweatshirt and jeans, raised his hand up and asking a random question.

“Good question young man. Well, well, let me explain. If we look at the Article 3 of the declaration, wrote that; It is also declares that statehood is independent of recognition by other states, so a country can exist even if other countries doesn’t recognized it. It can be well defined as, a person of international law that meets certain structure criteria, regardless of whether or not that state has received the recognition of other. But the question here, even if others recognized them as a country, why did United Nation didn’t not accept them as one of their respective members, am I right Mr. Do?” So, it is Kyungsoo who asking those pop out question while ago…

“In accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, “Is open to all peace-loving States that accept the obligations contained in the United Nations Charter and, in the judgment of the Organization, are able to carry out these obligations”. Which mean, even if a state did being recognized by other country and they too, did have some diplomatic relationship with other states, but, they might not fill some of the core qualifications according to the UN.  Research had been made by some of the professor in Taiwan, to know the truth of their country not to be accepted under the list of United Nation. Basically, though they had stated the four basic element of the qualifications to one become a state, but there’s some external element that might be disturbing or should I said, not be considerate to fulfill the agreement of it. As all of you can read it through the Charter of United Nation mention in article 4, state that; the admission of any such state to membership in the United Nations will be effected by a decision of the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. And in Article 5 of state that: A Member of the United Nations against which preventive or enforcement action has been taken by the Security Council may be suspended from the exercise of the rights and privileges of membership by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. The exercise of these rights and privileges may be restored by the Security Council. Do you can understand the requirement needed for a country to be accepted under the United Nation now Do Kyungsoo?”  I can see him from above, nodding his head before jot down some important information as the speaker keep on talking and explaining about the topic discussed.

 

             As soon as the presentation ended, both I and Luhan walk to the café as Chanyeol, who standing few steps away from us keep on blabbering about those lame speeches on global issue.

 

“I don’t understand about it Jongin. I mean why to bother about United Nation stuff and so on! You know what Lu~ I guess law student have a brain of Einstein, with a mentality of Hitler and the creativity of Shakespeare. Wait, I did forget about Cicero and Jean Monnet, right? Geez, they still living in the Holocaust era I think, no need to mention, Kyungsoo look like he’s going to eat the speaker away after those Q&A moments though. Hey Jongin, you’d better stay away from those law society, I’m afraid that might influence you to join some protest to go against the government and you know, they are brave, and full of knowledge, anything could happen if we are not being careful when hang out around them.”  Luhan smacked Chanyeol head before place both hand on his waist.

 

“Park Chanyeol, is not that nice of you to talk something bad about them. I mean, for sure, yes, as an engineering student, we need not to learn something extravaganza as that. But did you know, if we’re not trying to learn and understand about human law better, we might get into trouble. Basically, as you can think by your so-called logically thinking of yours, yeah, physic not need us to think something that not written on our textbook. When Newton said so, it mean yes, gravity did so. Right? But law is not thing as same as what our try to adapt for engineering Chanyeol. Though there are some law used in physic, but those are set to be boundaries, which need to be following, as a set of discipline and limits of how far we can go. Do you understand? And who are you to tell them that they are still living in the Holocaust era? It is such nonsense to running down the past of the dark era of the Jew’s and the cruelty of Nazi’s. We’re in no position to say so. So, let just us respect them. I know your brain is full with numbers, facts and those crazy experiments that need to be done. But sometimes, our brain still need to take care about these kind of thing involving us and world. Get it?”  I smiled at Luhan, showing that he had done a great job to make that giant speechless for a while. I mean, what Lu said is basically the truth. Science and law is two difference things that only have few issues that can connect each other to understand more about it.  The three of us stay in silence while feet moving around, making a light step heading to the café. Luhan quickly walks into the line and wait for his turn to buy the food. Chanyeol excused himself and said that he needs to go to somewhere which is very important for his upcoming presentation in Aviation class later on. Luhan wave his hand, wishing a loud good bye and Chanyeol flash a smile before he walks away into the academic hall.

 

Law is logic, but it is not science. Indeed.

 

--

 

 

Beautiful pictures outside make me wonder the truth behind the creation of world. Half of my lower body covered with a thick white blanket and there’s a book, lying on top of my knee waiting to be explore around. Eyes become a bit tired after 2 hours of reading those never-ending-cases of Criminal Law. Slowly, hand trailed down to a small wooden rack beside my bed and searching for something. Blue thick cover, pages inside already grow older, yellowish brownish; maybe? I pull the book out from the rack and put it on my bed. It’s a book about the History of Law Journal back in 1950’s up to 1990’s. They compile it all together in one book; as a result, it’s like a book of law, which might be as same age as my grandma who went to heaven few years ago. White curtain slide bit, allowing the sun rays to flying through the open space of my room, fill up the darkness and give me some feeling of warmness. Still wearing my favorite grey pajama, not to mention about the Pororo slippers which lying endlessly on the floor and… Jongin, who still asleep like a dead, not realized about the clocking of time and groaning of second around.

Yes, we are roommates.

Me and him.

                Well, to go down back to our first meeting year ago, I can tell that is the most awkward meeting ever happen in my life. As you should probably realize, I am not that neither tall nor too handsome to be call as manly. And at the moment of entering this room, red hair accompany my mysterious way of life, while wearing a pair of rounded thick glasses, green sweatshirt covered with light brown jacket and a pair of black skinny and grey sneakers to walk around. Knocking the door for few times before open it up and just to see a young man, with towel placing around his waist, half and look at me up and down before both turn into the “Shy” mode moderator, automatically one close the door while one quickly ran back into the toilet. Meaningful, right?

Few months later, we start talking to each other, just to realize that we actually have much thing not to share in common and could lead to the third world war between us.

He thinks thing related to science.

I think things related to law.

He looks at things based on scientific view.

I look at things based on evidence and proof of matter happen.

He lives with full of colors.

Mine is only filling with black and white.

He talks useless things a lot.

I talk things when needed and depends whether it’s important or not.

He likes to socialize with others.

I don’t have much time to eat, and how the freaking time I do have time to mingle with others.

We are difference. We’re not heading to the same path of life. We don’t share much things in common. We think differently, we live our life differently, we even always firing each other weakness when we are bored, though he always lose (Believe me, he’s on how to think properly). But we are just we.

Why did I make it like we are one of those old couple, walking down their memory lane and tell about the so-called-not-so-memorable first meeting?

                So, back to the matter of things that we need to discuss, about the not-so-smart note, which someone give to Jumyeon, before he pass it to Jongin and yeah, back to its owner which is me.

First note is acceptable.

Do Kyungsoo,

You are convicted under the charge of damaging my heart with the cuteness of yours. By the power of court, I command you, according to Section 302 of Penal Code; whoever commits murder shall be sentenced to death and go straight to my heart.”

                 I can still digest it in my brain and yeah, swallows it away when I feel like, “Is this person some kind of e or what?”  Well, I am glad if someone did like me, I mean, I did appreciate all of your hard work to turn the sections in the Penal Code according to your definition of love. That’s not the problem here. But one thing that bother me lot is, why the person chose to write it in a form of law.

Second note is okay.

Do Kyungsoo,

Under the section 379 of Punishment for theft, you are now shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to seven years living inside my mind, or with fine, to have a pleasure night with me, or with both, and for a second or subsequent offence as Heart Chaser, shall be punished with imprisonment and shall also be liable to fine or to whipping with my love on yours.”

It still about the uses of Penal Code, with correct usage of sections, only with  a bit of changing in the form of explanation. I can accept it. If this person seriously wants me to be their lover, just go straight and tell me about it. These kind of cliché thing, passing notes around is not really my thingy, guys. I like direct things. If you like me, just say it. If you love me, just blurt it out. No need to waste your time, spending your precious moment with those thick text books of law, since I do know, that the person who wrote all the note is not a law student. No need to mention why, based from my experience about the cases before, law student never immersed themselves in this kind of “what the hell with the romantic words of law???”  That’s it. The person must be someone from the language department or maybe, from the mass communication faculty? Who knows?

Third note starts to make me confused.

Do Kyungsoo,

Under the section 300(d) of Penal Code, as you born with those doe-eyed and cute face of yours, you are commit the act even though you know, that it is so imminently dangerous that it must in all probability melt my heart away, or such nerve and neurons injury as is likely to make me fallen in love with you, and commits such act without any excuse for incurring the risk of badly in love, or such matter involving heart and love as aforesaid.”

Who is the heck of you…

--

“Sehun, how was it? I know it’s hard for you to take it. But believe me friend, your effort worth something. I am sure he will be proud with you once he read those notes.”  Sehun just nod his head and continue reading the not-so-interested book of law. Before I forgot to mention, Sehun is one of my best buddies since middle school. We both majoring in engineering, that pale boy is slightly smarter than me. That’s why he came out with the idea to write those cheesy lines of law to his beloved one. Damn you Sehun, do you know how much I envy you and your brain? If and only if god blesses me with that kind of level, now, I might be so popular and live my life happily with ehem ehem that can’t be mention.

“What this word mean?”

“Which one?”

“Those Latin word Sehun~”

“Oh, actus non facit reum, nisi mens sits rea?” I tag along and nod my head few times.

“It’s mean; an act does not make a person guilty, unless his mind is also guilty.”

“And how about the Actus reus and mens rea? Does it have something to do with those Latin phrases?” Sehun smiles and takes out a piece of paper before write something on it.”

“DumbIn, now listen okay, I am not going to repeat myself here, since this kind of things is not even part of our majoring. So, focus.

Actus Reus means the conduct or action of the accused which produces or constitutes the forbidden harm. For instance, firing a gun and kill somebody.  So, the concept of mens rea or guilty mind is a distinct component of the crime from the actus reus, as it is involving all the remaining elements of the crime. It also can be described as one of the “external” elements of the crime which  can be explain like, one who commit is that, they are in the “external” to the accused’s mental state.”

What is all the hell is all about…

Am I having some sort of mental breakdown after hearing those definition of law?

Or, I might be left inside a tunnel with no light to accompany my journey here? 

What the hell is actually bring the meaning of those complicated uses of words.

“Hey, are you still in your blameworthy state of mind? Need me to continue explaining about the mens rea?” I raised my hands up and nod my head weakly.

“So, mens rea or guilty mind can be define as comprising the “mental  element” of crime which in turn connotes a subjective state of mind such as intention or knowledge and also…”

“Sehun?”

“Yes?”

“I’m done.”

“Knew it DumbIn, but thanks for listening.”

--

 

 

Spending my time alone while stick onto the green grass below, eyes looking around the wonderful scenery of Han river and hands holding a thick book of Law Journal. After being dragged for four hours of tortured moment discussing about the “General Defenses” issues, I took a few free moments of myself, to fly away from the hectic life of the campus and decided to enjoy my not-so-long-rest-from-classes, sitting alone and enjoying my night at the park.

When suddenly I could feel someone tap my shoulder, as I turn my head around just to see a sweet boy with dark brunette hair smiling at me.

“Kyungsoo ah~”

And indeed, he is Byun Baekhyun from the communication department. He is one of my housemates and lives in the room beside me and Jongin. Well, frankly speaking, I’m not that close to this Byun Baekhyun person, not because we’re not majoring in the same course nor having any differences from any point of view in life. It just, both me and Baekhyun find it a little bit hard to communicate to one another since, maybe, the two of us brought a different kind of personality that not-so-matching to be combined of.

“Oh, it’s you.” Baekhyun smile and as he drops his bag down next to me and sit.

“What are you doing my friend? Mind if I disturb you for a second?”

“Erm… Sure.”

And for few minutes after, we both just sit there like a bunch of idiot, stealing awkward glances from one another and says nothing.

“What are you reading though Kyungsoo? It seems fun, I mean, judging from the thickness of the book, I can say, that it must contain lot of stories involving people all around the world right?”

“Maybe…”

“Want to know something? Someone told me about an interesting case, which happen around five years ago, not too far from Seoul.”

“Really? What case?” He lets out a small chuckle and places his chin onto his knee and smiles.

“I don’t know how to describe it as according to law since I’m not a law student here. But, I am going to tell this story roughly from what I’ve been heard from others. Well, this is a case of a father who being convicted under the charge of abusive and killed his own children but at the end, the court decided to released him as they found no evidence that proof the father intended to kill his son.”

“Then what’s happen?”

“The man defended himself, saying that, he is not in his blameworthy state of mind as the term of abusive used in this case, can’t be referred as an intention to cause any harm to his son but to teach him on how to be manners as he have his own reason to do the act for his son own benefits. On the other hand, as the second son, try to tell nothing but the truth, had been ignored by the court, since they said that a child who are not in the age of maturity could give out his opinion since it might be just a prediction from his own little fantasy. The second son pleaded the court to at least, give him a second and listen for what he needs to say, and bring a justice to his late brother. As the second son, saw everything that happens on the unlucky night of the poor little boy. But still, court decided to release the man as he has no intention to kill his son according to Section 89. Oh, can you explain, what is the section 89 is all about, Kyungsoo?”

“Sure, section 89 stated that Act done in good faith for the benefit of a child or person of unsound mind, by or by consent of guardian. It is about a person or the guardian having a lawful change of that person, or be intended by the doer to cause, or be known by the doer to be likely to cause to that person in a circumstances that shall not extend to the intentional causing of death, or to the attempting to cause death; the doing of anything which the person knows to be likely to cause death to others and some others explanation. “

Baekhyun nods his head for few times before fall into his own deep thought which I can’t even try to understand.

“I see that.”

“I wish to become the respectful lawyer for the second son to stand for the justice of his late brother.”

He smiles.

“But you need to be born as a demon first.”

“Why so?”

“Because that bastard father living his life in hell now.”

“…”

“…”

                Baekhyun then excused himself from our weird not-so-called a conversation. Few while later, I decided to walk back to the dormitory accompany by the dim light of the lamp street, cold breeze kissing my skin off and the rushing sound of the water can be heard. Soon, as I arrived at the dormitory, I bump into Chanyeol and the nerve inside my brain move the electric wave of movement to talk to that giant who hates law so much.

“Hi Chanyeol.”

He nods his head.

“Do you, by any chance know where Baekhyun’s brother is at the moment?”

Chanyeol halts in his footsteps. He swivels around, head tilted in Kyungsoo’s direction, a brow quirked in question.

“In heaven.”

 

 

 

 

Maybe, the story of the second son before… Is not just a story of cases in the law journal of Korea?

It’s an experience, from the bottom of the heart of the victim who lost his dear brother.

--