Shot

Miracle In December

2013  

            I push the curtain that hides the night view from my office and watch the snow fall from heaven to earth. Such a beautiful view... but my heart hurts more than anything. I'm trying my best to get over him, but the gloomy feeling that has taken over my body and soul is not helping the situation at all.

            The warm cup of coffee I've been holding turns cold by each second that passes me. I stand in one place, and the falling snow replays the memories I've been keeping to myself. Christmas music plays in the background, and sighing, I try to walk away from the view.

***

            No matter what I do, I see her. It's like I'm struggling to find her, the one I can't see or hear or feel anymore. Suddenly, I miss the things I had when I had her. Back then, I didn't appreciate what I had, but now, I'm willing to exchange my entire fortune to go back in time - to her. I need her. I need her love. I love her. Still.

            I broke up with her. She was too good to me. Back then, I only thought of myself. I ignored her feelings. I ignored her. But now, I just want her more than anything. I want her to nag me until I want to tape so she will not be able to talk. I want to play the game 'hide her phone' so she will not be disturbed by her work and spend the time with me. I want to sleep in her tender arms, feeling safe. I want to go back in time, meet her for the first time again, fall in love the same way we did, make the same mistakes and make it right - something I never did - and continue to love her until death.

            And now, I want to cry in her arms, begging her to come back to me. I want to tell her how much I love her. And the things I'm seeing right now, I wish I realized them earlier - And that is, that I am nothing without her.

"Ya Jongdae, wanna go out? It's first snow!" the happy virus pokes his head onto my office and runs off right after dropping his news. First snow... I wonder what she's doing...

***

            I put the coffee cup down and lay my head on my desk. When coffee can't keep myself from drifting off to my dreamland, I open the secret file I keep hidden in my computer and go through the pictures. Just the thought of him fills my heart... When it's snowing, I try my best to hold my tears, because I don't want to compare the pure snow with my dreadful tears. One thing I wish on the first snow is to let me forget the memories I had with him. They are too strong, hunting my beautiful dreams, ruin my nights, spoil my mornings, wreck my days, and eventually, destroy my life. Oh, the power of memories is terrifying.

***

            I was a selfish bastard. I wanted her all to myself but at the same time, I never gave her what she wanted. I always came first before her. She was a woman who was supposed to respect me. And she did - a lot. She cared a lot about me. But I was the one who took it the wrong way. I'm the stupid idiot who misunderstood her...

***

Controller of time...

... Controller of time

Please turn back time...

... Please turn back time

Take us back to the start, the first page of our story. Let us re-write our story. Let us love each other like we used to...

Let me love her again...

... Let me go back to him

***

 

2010

            The strong wind made her hair fly around. She cursed under her breath for wearing it lose, especially on such an awful day. Plus, she had to dress nice for the special meeting for the new project, the last thing she needed to hear was that she looked like a mess. Finally, she made her way into the building and let out a loud sigh. The guard at the door greeted her as always, and she made her way, greeting everyone along her way. Finally, she got into the elevator, and right when the door was about to be closed, someone's hand stopped it, and she watched as the man who stopped the doors from closing step into the elevator and ignore her presence. The quiet elevator led to her floor and she stepped out, and the man followed. She kept walking and so did he, following her steps. Ignoring him, she kept walking until she opened her friend's office and stepped in to see her friend's surprised face.

"Gosh, don't you know how to knock?" she asked in an annoyed voice.

"Sorry, someone was following me" she said, putting her bag down on one of the chairs that were in front of her friend's desk.

"Right. I feel sorry for the guy who followed this workaholic." Her friend made fun of her, and she sighed before opening the door and looking around before stepping out.

"Oh, Ye-In-ssi, you have a guest waiting for you." called one of her co-workers and she nodded before opening the door to her own office and stepping in.

            And to her surprise, the handsome stranger who followed her stood, buttoning his jacket and smiling.

"Nice to meet you, Choi Ye-In-ssi, I'm Kim Jongdae" he introduced himself and she held a gasp that almost escaped . Though they both didn't speak up, they both felt as if this had happened before. It was such a Déjà vu moment, and both didn't know what to say. She took his hand and shook, and sat on her seat before staring into the handsome stranger - no, Kim Jongdae, her new business partner's eyes.

            Though they just met, they felt as if they knew each other forever. She felt like he had been by her side for the longest time while he felt as if he knew every little secret about her.

            I the middle of the discussion, she found him staring behind her, out into the city through her glass window.

"Um... Kim Jongdae-ssi?" she called, waving her hand over his face.

"It's snowing" he spoke, with a sparkle on his eyes. "And I'm here... with you" he spoke, and the words surprised her. They sounded so familiar, as if someone had already said those words to her before. She wasn't much of a snow-lover, but at that moment, she fell in love - with snow and him; the guy who was sitting I front of her. "Let's do this" he said, making her blink in confusion. "Let's work together. Let's write our story together. From today, I'm going to start believing in Miracles In December" he said, using the name of the new project that they were going to start together.

            She stared at the guy who kept smiling at her and nodded. Though she wasn't sure what he meant by 'Let's write our story together', she was looking forward to his explanation later when she questions him - when they go out for coffee.

 

            Both of them stepped out of the big building together, making their way into the coffee shop through the beautiful snow-covered path. A stranger who stood on the opposite side of the main street watched as the soon to be couple walk away into the first date (which they will call later).

"One Miracle in December, done!" he spoke, touching the badge on his jacket. "Don't break up this time. Be happy. And Kim Jongdae, you better treat her right as you promise. Otherwise I will make sure you die in my hands" the guy muttered to himself before disappearing back to the future.

***

2013

"Ya Zitao!" an annoyed guy yelled his name, "Did you time travel again?! Aish! who did you do it for this time?" he yelled but the guy chose to ignore his hyung's voice. He disappeared from his hyung's side to find Kim Jongdae... who seemed too wrapped up in his work. Tao took a breath and waited for the guy who stared at the pile of papers, then back at the clock, and then outside.

            It was snowing.

***

            It's snowing outside. It's been three years since I fell in love with the cold things that fell from the sky. I stare at the pile of work I have to do and then at the time. I have two hours before meeting her. I close my eyes and imagine her. Her smile, her voice, her touch, her love... it was all mine. A smile creep in just by the thought of her. She's the best thing I never want to lose.

            I look at the clock once more to realize I've been sitting in front of my work for two whole hours. Panicking, I push everything back, standing up and grabbing my coat and my bag. , I'm going to be late again.

***

            He's late. Again. I find myself smile because I've gotten used to him losing the track of time when he starts his work. I take the mug of hot chocolate into my hand and take a sip of it.

"Ye-In-ah, mian... I was..." Jongdae touches the back of his neck, biting his lip.

"It's okay. I already ordered for you" I smile and watch as he take the seat in front of me.

"You're too good for me" he says as he takes his drink on to his hand. "Happy anniversary, love" he speaks, and I smile. He remembered. "Don't think I forgot. It was today, plus it was the first snow too."

"I didn't doubt you" I say, never knowing how his mind works. I bet he put personal notification to remind him about today. I find myself laughing at the thought.

"Choi Ye-In" Jongdae calls my name and I look up. My eyes go wide when I notice the small red box on top of the small round table. I naturally cup my mouth and look up at him. He opens it for me and take the simple diamond ring out. "Will you be my wife?" he asks, but I can't speak at that moment. "Please?" I nod, unable to speak. He slides the ring on to my finger and I lean over to press my lips of my boyfriend's. He kisses me back, and in the background, I hear clapping sounds. When we break the kiss, I look around to see people cheering us on.

***

            Tao starts clapping and everyone joins in. He watches them as she leans over and kisses him as her reply. First he had doubts and wondered if nothing changed but obviously, something did change. They weren't broken up and scattered everywhere, plus they are getting married now. Married.

"Miracle in December: succeed!" he tells to himself and he feels a hand creep up his shoulder. He turns to see his hyung standing next to him.

"Baekhyun said you travelled again. So it was for Jongdae?" Suho asks and Tao nods. "What happened? I mean, you don't like to mess with fates... What happened that made you go back and change everything?"

"Well, let's just say if I didn't do this, they won't be having an engagement right this moment" says Tao, and Suho nods.

"Whatever you did, thanks man. Jongdae is a really happy man these days. I wish for it to last forever."

"Let's just call it a miracle. In December" Tao speaks and turns to the happy couple. 'Good luck', he wishes quietly before disappearing again.


*** The End ***